Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

5. Dodgers: Pedro to the Expos
4. Nationals: Randy Johnson to the Mariners
3. Mets: Seaver to the Reds
2. Marlins: Stanton to Yankees
1. Red Sox: Ruth to Yankees

Yeah, the Stanton placement feels weird. Stanton is great and all, and the trade wasn't good, but...second?

These are weird....
One trade per team, but then they're ordered in worst trade order?

Mets trading Seaver when he was 32 doesn't even compare to trading Ryan at 24, none the less being the third worst of these trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

idontpoast posted:

If you could take two identical players in terms of bat-on-ball ability, plate vision,timing,and power. Then gave the 2nd player more power, his average would be higher because all of player 1s warning track outs would become dingers.

But player 1 would still be weak and have some slapdick bloopers fall in where that same ball off player 2's bat would now be a fly out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh that reminds, me. This happened a while ago this offseason but the Twins ended their affiliation with their AAA team in Rochester New York and picked up the St. Paul Saints to be their new AAA affiliate.

I'm actually pretty psyched by this news, I love going to Saints games and now I'll get to see actual almost MLB level players too. Plus if I go early enough in the season I can see all the MLB ready big prospects being held down for service time fuckery working on their defense.

WTF how did I not hear about this at all?

Saints games are fun as Hell already - this is super cool.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Just absurd.

edit: Just pathetic.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Nthing that Spiders would be a cool name. Going back to the Naps would be kind cool though it just feels racist for some weird reason. The Lajoie's would be funny if only for people messing up the pronunciation as someone said. Not that there's a chance in Hell of them picking either of the latter two.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 14, 2020

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
They're probably only going to count the OFFICIAL Negro league stats which are sadly not that crazy. Their official seasons were really short.

Basically, nobody has more than 4256 official hits, so I'm a little bummed. We still have true hit king Ichiro though.

Edit - Yeah, I hadn't thought of single season rate stat records. Rad.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Random dumb stuff time. (What else is baseball for?)

Eddie Robinson turned 100 on Tuesday.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/robined01.shtml
The 21st verifiable MLB player to have hit 100 years old and one of only 15 livings players that played a game in the 1940s. At 1315 games, he had by far the longest career of the remaining 15. Not that surprising, he also played the earliest game of any of the survivors - debuting on Sept 9th, 1942.

The only other living player to have appeared in a game in 1943 was Chris Haughey. Pitched 7 innings in relief on the last game of the season - on his 18th birthday and never made another appearance. WWII baseball was nuts.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/haughch01.shtml

The next oldest living player, George Elder will turn 100 on March 10th.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/elderge01.shtml

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Ryan Howard's peak season was 5.2 WAR. Andruw Jones averaged 5.5 WAR a year for 11 consecutive seasons.

The timing and narrative of Howard tearing his Achilles the moment that extension was about to kick in is spectacular sure, but it was nowhere near the fall in production we saw from Jones.

It's almost impossible to top Jones when you consider the simultaneous drop off in defense. It was really crazy.

Old sluggers that fell off a drat cliff at 30 club members, but nowhere near Jones:
Adam Dunn
Richie Sexson

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Roids shrink your balls and Beltre played without a cup, so......

(Just LOL if he's not a 90%+ first ballot inductee.)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

If the Angels refuse to get better then I'm glad the Astros are determined to get worse

We all float around .500 down here...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

GPTribefan posted:

Mattingly was the saddest. Dude broke in during the ‘83 season, was a beast for all of the 80s on some brutal teams, wrecked his back and lost his power, and retired right before the dynasty started. He made the playoffs once in his career (his last year, and never made it out of the ALDS), retired, and then watched the Yankees win 4 World Series in 5 years 😩

Going further back, but check out Bobby Murcer.

Comes up with the Yankees in 1965 - the year after the greatest dynasty ever ended. Becomes a regular in 1969 and puts up a 136 OPS+ over the next 6 years with 3 top 10 MVP finishes and 4 all star appearances.

Gets traded to the Giants before they make the playoffs again and misses out on going to three straight World Series in 76-78.

Then gets traded back to the Yankees in 79, finally making the post season in 1981, but the Yankees lost.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

blossommirage posted:

I will never forgive the plague for taking away Felix in a Braves uniform.

He was at least decent and likely making the rotation last year before Covid shut the season down. Felix sneaking into the Braves rotation and getting to play in the playoffs finally? (I'm pretending he made the post season roster.) : Cool and good.

A year older Felix likely making the rotation for a terrible Orioles team and then getting lit up by AL East teams in their parks? : Ugh. Probably gonna be depressing.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
That gif could only be better if he got up, got to the ball and Ibanez lawn darted it into the ground.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

It's like getting the gang back together or something.

Kinda hard to pick a favorite, but dang.

Dave Cameron posted:

The team is banking on several high variance players, and they won’t succeed without good years from the likes of Milton Bradley and Erik Bedard.

I guess Milton did better

than Erik?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
How does Ryan Divish apparently not know about #6org?

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1360237699173502979

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
salary cap - never.
Salary cap without a corresponding salary floor that is hilariously close to the same level? - Go on strike until the heat death of the universe.

Shrecknet posted:

why does this feel slightly pissy and also incredibly funny? It's the "left as well" that is just sending me

Pete Gray got it too for whatever reason.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Kazmir made me wonder about the longest gap between MLB appearances.

For WWII roster reasons - here's the record holder:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schrepa01.shtml

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

Someone will get to the mid-40s and have the bad luck to face the Yankees who will intentionally walk him every PA.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

It would have to be something incredibly tragic, like the unquestioned #1 prospect out of HS getting drafted with expectations of a SUPER quick trip to the majors, a year or two of extreme minor-league hype (enough to build a RAVENOUS base, likely through absurd social media presence), followed by a horrific career-ending injury in his first game in the majors, and then the franchise brings him back 22.1 years later for a gimmick appearance at the end of a lost season.

Come on, Indians. You clearly don't give a poo poo. Sign Joe Charboneau.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Available at Homage.
https://www.homage.com/products/me-and-the-boys-boppin

My wife showed it to me to see if I'd want it when they started selling them cause she thought it was oddly amusing. I immediately nerded out and pulled up that Dave Parker photo for her.

"Well, you can't pull it off that well, so no. I'm not getting it for you."

(Yes their shirts are too much, but they are really nice. As are their hoodies, sweats, etc. Hit their sales when you can.)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

elentar posted:

Being forbidden to wear any clothes I couldn’t pull off as well as Dave Parker would be a test I’d fail every single time.

Surprised I'm let out of the house come to think of it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

https://twitter.com/JosieCanseco/status/1365828483012653056

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Honestly, the Mariners amount of great likable players would have me considering it, and I enjoyed the poo poo out of the Mariners documentary

Plus I've always wanted to visit Seattle.

Edit - In typical M's fashion they'll all bust anyway but at least they'll keep their can't miss prospects a year longer! (So they can work on their defense in Tacoma)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

When I was a kid in the late 80s and 90s we had the Braves on TBS, and the Cubs were on WGN like every afternoon when I got home from school. And then whatever random assorted AL games I could pick off on ESPN, because there was only one ESPN then.

I absolutely saw more Cubs and Braves games as a kid than Mariners.

Cubs games in the Summer of 1984 were pretty cool, and Dale Murphy was about the best guy ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Is there a baseball card thread in SAS anymore? I got an on-card Isreal Alcontera auto that is my pride and joy

There was, but I unbookmarked it a while back. I think the last post in it was 2015 or something.