Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I am more than OK with the Nats giving 10 million to a guy with a slightly above-average bat and questionable defense in a league with no DH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
good for FTJ, good for the Padres, good for everyone in MLB except the non-Dodgers NL West

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
part of Schwarber's value was in the fact that he was available for only his 2020 salary, though

if the price of getting him was $10 million with a prospect on top he'd be a lot less attractive to teams like Washington who are probably not contending in 2021 and therefore are having to make longer-term plans

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
in a perfect world I'd like the Mets to pick up Springer and a non-Bauer starter, but if the season started tomorrow I'd still be really pleased with how the offseason went

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
let's just hope it's not the Mets medical staff giving the jabs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a bullpen built around Hand/May/Lugo/Familia/Blevins could be pretty solid even if Diaz and Betances are trash again

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
2020 was the first time DJLM has ever been in the top 10 hitters by bWAR so calling him a "top-10 player" is a loving stretch

if I'm trying to value his next 6 years I'm putting way more emphasis on the 3800 PA of 92 OPS+ than the 800 of 145 OPS+

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

In any other year he's looking at way more than $15MM AAV, come on. Even factoring in that he's a late bloomer he's been an unstoppable bat the last couple seasons, wind the clock back to when the sport wasn't a broken mess and multiple teams are tripping over themselves to sign him to 20, 25, or even 30 million AAV deals.

gently caress the owners.

literally 7 guys made $30M in 2019 and one of them was Miguel Cabrera and one was David Price

even in a good year DJLM would never have sniffed anything near 30M

e: Charlie Blackmon signed a 6-year $108 million deal in 2018 with a career 115 OPS+ in 3177 PA at age 31

DJLM currently has a career 102 OPS+ in 4670 PA and he's 32

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 15, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I love that when Torres has a bad 2020 it's just a "down season" but when LeMahieu has a good 2020 it's how good he's going to be going forward

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"well it wasn't my dick" is not an excuse you dumb motherfucker

get him to make a full, public apology and acknowledgement that what he did was completely unacceptable, no excuses or any of that "I'm sorry if she was offended" bullshit

and if he won't do that then fire his rear end

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well obviously Castillo can't be anything like as good as Frazier because he plays in red and white not in pinstripes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Castillo is only 2 years older than Frazier and both his floor and his ceiling are way higher than Frazier's

only the homeriest of Yankee fans would call that trade anything but a slam-dunk

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
am I right in thinking that Joey Lucchesi used to be a pretty highly-regarded prospect?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think they're banking on d'Arnaud being the player he was in 184 PA in 2020, and not the player he was in his 1860 previous career PA

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 21, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
normally when you talk about a race to go 0-60 it's motorsport not the Pirates and the Cubs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1353840981762854912

A subreddit crushed Steve Cohen's hedge fund and they lost over $2B lol

that's...not what the article says at all? the hedge fund that got hosed was Melvin and Point72 are buying shares in it now, presumably while the price is low

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like we could just straight up buy a bullpen for that kind of money

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man I just don't see giving Bauer ace money. Like I'd take him on the Giants for 4/80 or 5/100 even, I get it he's the best pitcher in free agency this year, but for Max Scherzer money? No thanks.

even though there are only like 4 teams willing to spend money he's still so much better than everyone else available that it's pushing his price right up

anyone who needs pitching and doesn't get Bauer is going to have to deal with potential injury issues (Tanaka, Paxton), potential age issues (Hamels, Arrieta), or just general mediocrity (everyone else)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the gently caress could no-one else beat $5M upfront and a load of incentives he'll never hit for Hand?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

it sure doesn't look like it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I assume Bill Ripken is the Mickey Mantle of goofy baseball card collectors

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: the Mets signed Aaron Loup for $3M

V: sure I guess

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is no way the league will play even as many as 154 games imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets acquired Jordan Yamamato from the Marlins

no I don't know why

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LionYeti posted:

So after the whole Nolan Arenado fiasco, I have decided that the Rockies are officially Dead to Me till the Momforts sell, I am in the market for a new baseball team. Please sell me on yours. I like competitive teams with cool guys that make stuffy baseball writers mad. I am leaning Yankees because the 27 rings thing is so obnoxious it boomerangs all the way around to become endearing and Desus and Mero are awesome.

the Mets are one of the approximately 4 teams who are actually trying to win this year

we have arguably the best pitcher in the game, arguably the best shortstop in the game, and a whole bunch of cool young guys who are good, and cool, and young

and even though our owner is a hedgefund dickhead he's still probably in the top half of MLB owners

we don't have any former Rockies though unless I'm missing them

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the whole "name plus a string of numbers = Russian bot" isn't true, it's what automatically happens when a mobile user tries to sign up with a name that's already taken

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
still don't want Bauer on my team but at least this way I can justifiably hope he does well, because the better he does this season the more likely it is that he opts out

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like there are definitely better uses of $40M than getting one season of the game's biggest assholes

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Not my money (directly) and Bauer is a dipshit but he's a dipshit who's a pretty good to ace pitcher.

I actually prefer the short money and in this case I'm good with the opt outs. Ideally he pitches 220 innings of 130 ERA+ ball each of the next 1-2 seasons and then fucks off to Colorado where the Monforts will end up giving the Padres 100m dollars to get out of his contract shortly before the 2025 season.

he's absolutely a good pitcher but I don't think he'd fetch anything like $40M in an offseason with another couple of really good pitchers available

and if we have $40M to spend we could have gotten literally the 3 best available bullpen arms on the market for less

I suppose at least we didn't give him like 6-7 years, one or two years of his bullshit I can probably tolerate but no more

e: if Hey Man is right I hope that $40M stays on the table now and doesn't go right back into Cohen's pocket

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 5, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
between Turner spreading corona round the field and now signing Bauer, the Dodgers are definitely moving up my most hated list

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
good christ

well for that much yeah I'm definitely glad the Mets passed

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

My only mostly wild rear end guess is that part of it would go towards a Thor extension if Thor is healthy and good for the back half of the season. I assume they'd already budgeted for Lindor's extension.

honestly I'm expecting a Conforto extension at some point, he doesn't seem to ever get much recognition but he's actually a really loving good player

he's 29th in WRC+ among active players and at least 3 of the guys above him are probably cooked (Pujols, Miggy, Cutch)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

It’s been less than a day and I’m already tired of the Bauer stans among Dodger fans. Just an endless stream of the same dumb jokes, false equivalencies, and glee that the people they don’t like are upset. Gonna be a long two years.

wow the Astros and the Dodgers really are becoming one and the same

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I hope he's only going to be a defensive replacement because running that bat out there every day, yeesh

my hope is they go full-on "gently caress defense" and play Nimmo in center

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
4 years for a guy who just turned 36 is insanity unless he's Literally Barry Bonds, hell even 2 years is on the risky side

personally I'd rather stick with JD Davis and see if he's legit

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Imagining a bunch of guys using cricket bats to bunt like 30 pitches foul until they accumulate 9 balls for a walk and having a good chuckle

who knew the Dilscoop was over a century old

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

"no trust us he's actually not an rear end in a top hat really" is, uh, quite a take

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

And yes we have a pitcher named Frisbee.

he better have a phenomenal slider

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: Mets signed Kevin Pillar for 1/$5M

V: seems fine, whether he'll get some/most/all of the starts in center will depend how much they value his defense compared to Nimmo's bat and whether Dom Smith continues to hit

it does mean that Almora looks surplus to requirements already though, maybe we can trade him back to the Cubs for one (1) Kris Bryant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
honestly it's impressive how the Cubs traded away a top 10-20 MLB pitcher for prospects and still have a bottom-10 farm system

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2021