Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

While you do want Outers to do work, there are reasons to Promote some with high crafting skills. Namely that Artisanry feeds in to Alchemy and Artifact Crafting and I believe some other skills do as well. So your dedicated alchemy/artifact crafters should be promoted craftsmen using the apropriate laws (e.g. Myriad Artifact Law for an artifact crafter)

Myriad artifact law (maybe any law with a mortal outer breakthrough stage) is interesting because you can put the cultivator on craft or forge or tailor and the artifact craft skill will go up. Did it on a cat and raised artifact craft from 13-26. No inspiration points needed!

This means they if your cultivation law has a stage where the breakthrough is to return to mortal, outer stage stage for a while, you can get millions of “free” inspiration by doing this. Have them wear the speed boosting, craft speed boosting, and second speed boosting charm during this time to be extra efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

:negative:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ah, the crashing spaceship start?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are you playing on a Large map?

Priorities aren't very sophisticated in this game unfortunately, there's nothing that's considered so urgent that your disciples need to stop what they're doing to fix it right away. This includes things like, you know, dying of thrist for some reason.

On Large maps in particular I run into lots of problems with this or other behavior like it - like disciples falling asleep outside constantly and then complaining that they don't have a bedroom even when they do. From what I can tell, the level of thirst/exhaustion/hunger/whatever that makes them queue up an eat/drink/sleep action after their current action is too low to effectively save themselves on large maps. Like, they can be 3 seconds away from realizing they're thirsty, start a Peon action to pick up and haul something from the far corner of the map, complete that entire process and get back, then start dying of thirst before they can make it to the water.

You can fix it by giving everyone a movespeed talisman ASAP but I just used the item editor to add a consumable I can craft at the bonfire that gives a permanent +50% movespeed to everyone to make up for it.
(Pro tip: The "Percentage Increase" buff you can choose when creating items works in decimal. A value of 50 is a 5000% increase, .5 is a 50% increase)

There's also a mod called "Mod Modder" that's very partially translated that you can find somewhere on the discord that's an in-game character editor if you'd rather use to that to add movespeed

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 31, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Are you playing on a Large map?

Priorities aren't very sophisticated in this game unfortunately, there's nothing that's considered so urgent that your disciples need to stop what they're doing to fix it right away. This includes things like, you know, dying of thrist for some reason.

On Large maps in particular I run into lots of problems with this or other behavior like it - like disciples falling asleep outside constantly and then complaining that they don't have a bedroom even when they do. From what I can tell, the level of thirst/exhaustion/hunger/whatever that makes them queue up an eat/drink/sleep action after their current action is too low to effectively save themselves on large maps. Like, they can be 3 seconds away from realizing they're thirsty, start a Peon action to pick up and haul something from the far corner of the map, complete that entire process and get back, then start dying of thirst before they can make it to the water.

You can fix it by giving everyone a movespeed talisman ASAP but I just used the item editor to add a consumable I can craft at the bonfire that gives a permanent +50% movespeed to everyone to make up for it.
(Pro tip: The "Percentage Increase" buff you can choose when creating items work in decimal. A value of 50 is a 5000% increase, .5 is a 50% increase)

Yeah it's a large map, although searching a box/body for that chakram & cloth is about as far as any of them were from the water. I've definitely run into both the sleeping outside, and the thirst issues, although this is the first time it has been so severe and nigh-instantaneous. The charm idea definitely seems prudent.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Syenite posted:

Yeah it's a large map, although searching a box/body for that chakram & cloth is about as far as any of them were from the water. I've definitely run into both the sleeping outside, and the thirst issues, although this is the first time it has been so severe and nigh-instantaneous. The charm idea definitely seems prudent.

Move speed charms are eesntial to maximize outer productivity so you can cultivate more people. Also, the thirst thing happens sometimes- it’s a bug that gets discussed every now and then. Save/reload should fix it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, so I can reliably get a good base together that gathers materials, feeds my people, and no one dies of heart attacks.

What am I supposed to do now? I don’t understand anything about Law or Inner Disciples or such.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Post a picture of your sect map, and I'll give you some tips on your next objectives for building projects and disciple development.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Started with one of those outers that are obsessed with every skill, didn't realise at the time INT controlled how quickly they skill up and well, they have 0 INT. Is there a way to make these outers useful early on or is it just a trap choice?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If they have a high stat at doing some manual work, then have them do it. You can always sacrifice them to open a spot. They are worthless as Inners.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Was actually dicking around with this game for the last month or so after spotting it in the LP forum, but sort of gave up since my Chinese was/is too poo poo to deal with it even after multiple years of studying it and I found myself having to look up more and more words to make sense of everything.

Still kinda torn if I want to challenge myself again with the Chinese translation or just switch to English...

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

skeleton warrior posted:

What am I supposed to do now? I don’t understand anything about Law or Inner Disciples or such.

Your colonists have a tab labeled 'cultivation' which has an outline of some meditating dude. When it fills up full they can be promoted to inner disciple. You start with an item 'forming pill' which will instantly fill the foundation for one of your colonists, you can use this to get your first inner started.

Once a colonist is an inner, they will gain 4 new buttons on their stat bar: Balance, Practice, Mind, Train. Click the 'mind' button to switch them to recreational activities so they fill their new 'Mental State' bar. Switch them to 'practice' when their mental state is high again, they will go make progress on their cultivation law. This will reduce their mental state and require you to click 'mind' again at some point.

When my colony got large, I downloaded a mod that switches between mind and practice automatically based on mental state level.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

What mod is that I am trying to find it but entering all these mods into a translator is pretty hard.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Beo posted:

What mod is that I am trying to find it but entering all these mods into a translator is pretty hard.

I think it's this one?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
After I've copied a manual, is there any reason not to trade it away?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is worthless.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The book have elements, so I feed it to my awakened furniture. :v:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I had an invasion and was able to easy defeat the 2 enemies but they only get unconscious and then one came back to life and started taking my stuff. How do I kill them?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hunting straight up murders them. You can also move them to your sacrificial chamber.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Womyn Capote posted:

I had an invasion and was able to easy defeat the 2 enemies but they only get unconscious and then one came back to life and started taking my stuff. How do I kill them?

Sokani posted:

Right clicking the sword makes them finish off enemies downed in combat automatically, so they don't get back up and steal your nice things.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Syenite posted:

I think it's this one?

That's the one. When I downloaded it it was on some wiki page, but it looks like someone uploaded the English version to the workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2242045569

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, I'm on Day 7 of summer. I've got 7 beings, one of whom is a chicken, two of whom are close to having their silhouettes completely yellow. I have 4 2-being bedrooms and am building a fifth. I have a kitchen, a dining room, and a playroom. I have all the craft rooms. I am running out of iron.

What do?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, I'm on Day 7 of summer. I've got 7 beings, one of whom is a chicken, two of whom are close to having their silhouettes completely yellow. I have 4 2-being bedrooms and am building a fifth. I have a kitchen, a dining room, and a playroom. I have all the craft rooms. I am running out of iron.

What do?

You need to get at least one inner disciple, then establish a sect. Find whichever disciple has good Qi Sense, the higher the better, preferably with at least 5 luck, and if you can swing it, decent compatibility with whatever Law you started with. Toggle off all their work, set them to Work Hard on cultivation, and feed then a forming pill, if you have one. Once they've meditated on the nature of the universe and whatnot, establish a sect, and set them to be the leader. You'll now have access to a bunch of new buildings, the first you should build is probably the observatory or whatever it's called, which will let you check the Feng Shui of your rooms. Set your new sect leader up with a new room, and a cultivation chamber with a cushion in the middle of their element, surrounded by Qi Gathering items on tables that feed into their element (Earth -> Metal, etc) and spirit wood at it's max rang (so it doesn't affect the Feng Shui, if it's not the right element). At this point the game opens up again, and there's plenty to figure out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What constitutes good feng shui in a grave?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The element of the building material is what's important. Whatever element you make the building from, it needs to be immersed in the element which boosts the building's element. So a fire building wants to be immersed in wood element.

I don't know what all you can make a grave out of, but iron element usually does well when plopped on the dirt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just got a pop-up saying that if a grave had bad feng shui, something bad might happen (I assume a ghost.)

e: Also, does attack speed 1.35/sec means that it gets 1.35 attacks/sec or that it takes 1.35 seconds per attack?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 1, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What constitutes good feng shui in a grave?

There are 3 kinds of Feng Shui:

Object Feng Shui - this is solely affected by what other elements are within 2 tiles (which is technically 3 range) of an object. You contribute to this by walls/floors/decorations of the feeding element (e.g. Wood to feed a Fire object, Stone to feed a Metal object) placed within that range of 3. @swb on the discord made this diagram explaining the ranges:

Put your feeding objects within the yellow boundaries of the feng shui object. For the grave itself, this is all that matters.

big note: every tile has a natural element that seems to be influenced primarily by what kind of terrain is underneath the floor. These are not at all obvious and you will not know what's going on if you're not using an Observatory to measure exact element levels, this is why I say not to worry about Feng Shui until after you have an Observatory.

In almost all cases you can get Very Auspicious feng shui on a Metal object without using any decorations, walls or floors at all, just by placing it over a place that was once Stone terrain. Same is true of Wood over what was once Water, etc. You just may need to place it 1-2 tiles away from where you intended to do this.

Room Feng Shui - this is the feng shui score you see in the info panel when clicking on the floor of a room to select the room itself. This only matters if your graves are in a room. It is fairly simple but unintuitive:
Bedrooms need a door on the south
Workshops need a door on the east
Kitchens need a door on the west
(They can have additional doors on other sides, no problem)

I don't think door orientation matters for other rooms.
Spirit Relics on pedestals will absolutely wreck a room's Feng Shui and make it Very Ominous (which you do want in the case of a room to cast a few evil spells in) if the room doesn't match the Spirit Relic's requirements.
If your rooms are stuffed full of too many objects or too much empty space, room Feng Shui will suffer.
For a room to get a Feng Shui score, it needs to be fully enclosed by walls and doors.
If a room has clashing feng shui objects in it (e.g. the objects are supported by an element that suppress them instead of feed them) it hurts the room's score.

Sect Feng Shui - this is the score seen via the color of the feng shui icon on the left side of the screen after building an observatory
This is generally not something you should ever need to worry about but a few notes:

If you achieve Very Auspicious feng shui for your sect you will receive an event which gives you around 400 Sect reputation and I think boosts recruitment for a while.

This is done by having near 100% of all rooms/objects at Very Auspicious, plus maybe with a minimum number of rooms/objects needed? We weren't really sure on Discord.

Note that depending on what you're doing, sect reputation is a bad thing - it increases the threats that you encounter. You generally don't need to worry about this because you won't hit V. Auspicious Sect Feng Shui unless you really go out of your way to make every single object and room V Auspicious. What this means is, basically just ignore this and be okay with some objects/rooms not being V. Auspicious. You can do it later when you want more rep.

I recommend going for simple, straightforward rooms with few decorations at first. Build the walls and floor out of stone, add a stone light or two, and then throw in iron focuses. Make sure the doors are in the right spots. Decorations often just make it harder.

These rooms are both V. Auspicious for all of the objects and the rooms themselves. I built them in a spot where I mined out a mountain.

(Note how one iron jar isn't in the symmetrical tile you'd expect - that's one of those cases where I just needed to move it one spot over because of natural elements beneath the floor)

Then later on when you're more comfortable with the system you can make more ornate rooms packed full of decorations (I'm still trying to figure that out myself)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 1, 2020

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

About to start my first play through and am pumped.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Room Feng Shui - this is the feng shui score you see in the info panel when clicking on the floor of a room to select the room itself. This only matters if your graves are in a room. It is fairly simple but unintuitive:
Bedrooms need a door on the south
Workshops need a door on the east
Kitchens need a door on the west
(They can have additional doors on other sides, no problem)

This is not quite entirely accurate.

1. If a bedroom, workshop or kitchen has more than one door, it will incur a feng shui malus for having a door on the wrong side, and an additional feng shui malus for having more than one door.

Scenario 1A

Room containing a stonework workstation (and therefore a workshop) and with a single east-facing door (i.e. the correct orientation) - No feng shui malus.

Scenario 1B

Room containing a stonework workstation and with both an east-facing door and a south-facing door - Feng shui malus for wrong-facing door ("--- Workshop") and Additional feng shui malus for workshop with multiple doors ("--- Feng shui leakage")

2. A room containing other types of "feng shui" structures (i.e. anything else that says "Feng Shui Building" in the description, such as tables, "Leisure" items, wells, graves, ancestral shrines, and qi cushions) can have its door facing any direction, but should still have only one door each.

Scenario 2A

Room containing a table (and therefore a "dining room") and with a single east-facing door - No feng shui malus.

Scenario 2B

Room containing a table and with a single west-facing door - No feng shui malus.

Scenario 2C

Room containing a table and with both an east-facing and west-facing door - Malus for feng shui leakage.

3. A room with no "feng shui" structures (e.g. storage rooms) can have its doors facing any direction, and as many doors as you want.

Scenario 3A

Empty room with doors on all four directions - No feng shui rating.

Scenario 3B

Room with a fabric cushion (the Tier 1 meditation cushion you unlock upon getting your first Inner Disciple, and which is not a "feng shui" building) and with doors on all four directions - No feng shui rating.

Scenario 3C

Room with a Qi Cushion (the Tier 2 meditation cushion you unlock upon reaching 500 Sect Reputation, and which is a "feng shui" building) and with doors on all four directions - Feng shui leakage malus.

4. A room with multiple types of "feng shui" structures (e.g. a room with a bed and a workstation, and therefore classified as both a "bedroom" and "workshop") will have its feng shui rating based on the stricter criteria.

I.e. since a bedroom must have a south-facing door and a workstation must have an east-facing door, this bedroom-cum-workstation will incur the "wrong-facing door" feng shui malus no matter where you place the door. If you place both a south-facing and east-facing door, it will incur both the "wrong-facing door" malus and "feng shui leakage" malus.

Scenario 4A

Room with a bed and a stonework workstation, and with an east-facing door - Malus for failing to fulfill the door-orientation for a "Bedroom".

Scenario 4B

Room with a bed and a stonework workstation, and with a south-facing door - Malus for failing to fulfill the door-orientation for a "Workshop".

Scenario 4C

Room with a bed and a stonework workstation, and with both east-facing and south-facing doors - Malus for failing to fulfill the door-orientation for both "Bedroom" and "Workshop", and malus for feng shui leakage

Catpetter1981 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 1, 2020

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
So uh...what do illuminated furniture do exactly? besides being able to be fed items for feng shui. I've had a dragon statue and a cushion show up randomly at my sect.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You just keep your Outers from training/promotions and have them do most of the actual work. Your Inners can create weapons/items and refine them, but you need the right laws for higher quality stuff.

I have tried setting the workshop (in this case, tailors) to Inner Disciple but outers still craft on it. Only crafting i've seen my inners do was make talismans

I've also found a couple Manuals that list world map locations, but I can't scribe them and equiping them doesn't make them show up on the map. How am I supposed to use these?

edit: So i assume its still a translation thing, but im talking to people and the tooltips say i have to talk about their hobbies to make them open up. How? Closest thing I can see is to talk about their likes.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 1, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Catpetter1981 posted:

This is not quite entirely accurate.

1. If a bedroom, workshop or kitchen has more than one door, it will incur a feng shui malus for having a door on the wrong side, and an additional feng shui malus for having more than one door.
:argh: I thought this was the case but someone told me yesterday it wasn't. Thanks! And thanks for the full breakdown, this is very helpful

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure on the illuminated furniture but I once got an illuminated phoenix egg which doesn't hatch but gives a loooot of useful fire element resources when demolished.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
When it comes to doors, the only door that matters for feng shui is the one that leads 'outside'. Doors that lead to other feng shui rooms don't count.

Note how it doesn't mind the door connecting these two bedrooms:

But once the door leading outside is removed, it receives a penalty because the only door left is facing the wrong way:

Rooms with no feng shui count as 'outside', so a hallway is just as good as the actual outdoors:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

What does it take to transition from qi-shaping to core-shaping so that I can get the higher level abilities?

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quornes posted:

I have tried setting the workshop (in this case, tailors) to Inner Disciple but outers still craft on it. Only crafting i've seen my inners do was make talismans

Inner Disciples can only do the following types of crafting:

(a) Writing talismans (Note: The talisman paper themselves can only be crafted by Outer Disciples);

(b) Crafting flying treasures at the Crafting Table (found in the "Sect" tab of the "Build" button)

(c) Making pills and elixirs at the Alchemy Furnace (found in the "Sect" tab of the "Build" button)

All other types of crafting can only be done by Outer Disciples.

Quornes posted:

I've also found a couple Manuals that list world map locations, but I can't scribe them and equiping them doesn't make them show up on the map. How am I supposed to use these?

1. First, get your Inner Disciple to equip the manual.

2. Once your Inner Disciple has picked up the manual and it is in their inventory, click the "Cultivation" button, then click the "Inspiration" button:

3. The world map locations manual will appear in the "Extra Manuals" section at the bottom of the "Inspiration" screen.

4. Click on the locations manual button, and there will be a pop-up option asking you whether you want to learn the manual. Click yes. (World map locations manuals always cost zero experience / Inspiration to learn, and it doesn't matter which Inner Disciple you use to learn the manual).

5. Now the locations will appear on your world map permanently.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Womyn Capote posted:

What does it take to transition from qi-shaping to core-shaping so that I can get the higher level abilities?

This depends which law you're following. Navigate to Sect->Sect Laws. This opens a menu where you can view the law details. Below is the starter wood law:

On the right are the different stages of the law. You start at the top and work your way down, so you'd start in Creed of Man and ascend once you fully complete Creed of Heaven. Some stages fall into different tiers, you can find out which by mousing over the stage. Creed of Animal is Core Shaping, so a wood law disciple will be able to learn core shaping moves after reaching that stage.

To move between stages, you have to fill your meditating cultivation man.

Different laws will have different breakthroughs on your way up, but only the final breakthrough when the cultivation xp is full moves you between stages. Usually there is no downside to moving up as far and fast as possible, with the exception of the gold core stage. Cultivators should not enter the gold core tier of stages until conditions are perfect, since this breakthrough comes with a 'core quality rating' that will strongly influence the disciple's future growth.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 1, 2020

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
New update brough the option to set what race (human etc.) you want when rolling your initial disciples. :getin:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blueprints still aren't fixed but I've been spending all morning planning blueprints and here's one that others may find useful:

• 20x17 (so it can all be one single Blueprint)
  • Can be crafted entirely from the materials you start with if you choose the Builder perk (I think... may need to do a little mining and switch some marble out for Brownstone for that)
  • Includes every room and object needed prior to promoting your first inner disciple - just add farms then promote!
  • Every single object and room is V. Auspicious with very minimal decoration use (just 12 lamps)
  • Doesn't rely on any items that don't unlock before promoting
  • Built on plain dirt to avoid using special terrain element modifiers to achieve V Ausp (aka it should work just about anywhere on any map type)
    One downside: does rely on you creating a room first to unlock all of the advanced crafting tables... but just build 4 walls and a door to unlock them then tear it down

After placing the blueprint you'd just need to wait for the stonework + handicraft tables to finish then queue up 2 Spirit Stone brick crafts, one Igneocopper Offcut and two Marble Offcuts (actually note to self: switch floors to brownstone because raw marble may be hard to come by)

Notes:
The spirit stone walls are uesd to prevent stone wall element feeding into stone workstations which makes them Ausp instead of V.Ausp. To avoid using them you would need to make the crafting rooms larger to move the items away from the walls, which would then require using more decorations because rooms freak out when things aren't against the walls. So I suggest just dealing with the spirit stone instead.

You may want to switch some Marble out for Brownstone. I'm not able to test quite yet whether Builder gives enough marble to do this all in marble. But another option is eating the forming pill and entering the Taiyi Sect map which has like 2 dozen stacks of marble on it, just make sure to only pick up stacks of 200+ and re-load the map if there are none.

OPTIONAL TWEAK: switch out the 4 right-most beds for 2-3 Iron Tables, which is a better starting setup in theory, but I'm going to put together a second little cluster blueprint like this to build after promoting which will include a dining room.

When blueprints are fixed I'll share it in-game so it can be downloaded from the in-game blueprint database

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Is there any way to raise skills for inner disciples besides Inspiration? I.E. Battle, Artisanry, Comprehension, Inner Sight.