Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know why you wouldn't want a Shendao unless you are going for some challenge run. You bring people back from the dead and you will likely need it for the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Do i just like force feed a forming pill to my best dude right away or have them become an inner naturally?

i can get a whatever the gently caress this is started up pretty ok but idk when i should have an inner disciple

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Yeah man just bust out that inner, get things moving. Forming pills aren't precious enough to save. There's a lot of stuff inners can get done on the world map, plus they don't need to eat. If you're on the canyon map, they can fly over the gaps to accept new outers and drop them a pickaxe. Some recruits might even make it to the main base before they dehydrate.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I usually wait a day of two so they can help get the basic buildings set up, but as soon as that's done they pop their pill. That's just a matter of preference though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also do i need my village w/e the gently caress to look like the tutorial or the screens in the OP cuz that is gonna take a million of clearing shrubs n poo poo

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I need to get more aggressive with pasturing animals, I keep getting into a death spiral of the map beast killing or hurting something, people going to help it, getting killed, others going to help them, etc. Ruined my last two games that way.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kdrudy posted:

I need to get more aggressive with pasturing animals, I keep getting into a death spiral of the map beast killing or hurting something, people going to help it, getting killed, others going to help them, etc. Ruined my last two games that way.

is that what that giant ice spitting hell turtle was gently caress that thing

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

verbal enema posted:

is that what that giant ice spitting hell turtle was gently caress that thing

Yep, I've had a lovely snake and a wolf version on the ones that went bad.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm bringing this thread back to the front page via ancient Dao thread necromancy because I've gotten big into it and I have Questions. Mainly about the god drat map beasts. My friendly dog pet is a moron and insists on interacting with it, or my outers spot a cool tree and decide to go touch it. They are then trapped in a cycle of endlessly going down there to rescue the dumb outer who went down there to rescue the dumber outer who wanted to throw a rock or some thing in the vicinity of the Golden Core Murder Tiger.

Sokani posted:

Eventually some mcguffin from the sky will fall down near him and your outers will get stuck in a loop of trying to retrieve it, getting attacked, trying to rescue who got attacked, etc. Take it out at the earliest convenience.
How early are we talking here? If I force-feed the forming pill to my best rerolled dude to get a day 1 inner disciple with the starting bonus artifact will that be enough to kill it? Is it possible to lure the friendly cultivator from the start over to it via sacrificing a bad disciple? I've lost two otherwise games to various map beast bullshit.

Also when I'm starting to form golden cores is it enough to make the usual "cushion surrounded by two rows of begetting element items, surrounded by spiritwood" setup I've seen so often, or is there anything else I can do to get that good qi pumping?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 12, 2021

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Once the pupper appears and its qi bar is filled it should be able to face tank the beast and let your inner(s) kill it. The beast takes a while to even out of Qi Shaping and needs most of the year to get to Golden Core.

Day 1 is way too early well maybe you can do it if the best dude has crazy stats in everything but the starting bonus artifact is always a toss up. It would be safer to rush him to Core Shaping and dunk on the beast that way but it really depends on your starting law.

The mysterious cultivator is literal trash tier and will almost always die to the beast because of his incredibly gimped qi stats.

Theoretically you could rush the thing down super hard with Grand Chariot inners armed with earth needles. Needles being the meta artifact weapon due to its really high DPS.

And no, there's no better way to setup golden cores, other than better cushions and better qi gathering items.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Good advice, thanks. I'm still in the newbie stage of looking up room setups and things to keep my people happy and Not Dead. Once I accidentally made my kitchen turn out Fine meals and my entire sect starved.

Is it normal for inners to need to spend a ton of time playing to balance out their qi mood or whatever it's called? That stat seems to drop very fast and need a lot of time to regen. Feng Shui is actually pretty easy to grasp and room quality is bog-standard DF rules so I'm not really having problems there. What controls item quality? Will higher-level crafters make better quality items?

I really wish more games had the planning mode like Prison Architect does where you can lay down everything in a pretend mode first to see how everything will look.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pierson posted:

Is it normal for inners to need to spend a ton of time playing to balance out their qi mood or whatever it's called? That stat seems to drop very fast and need a lot of time to regen. Feng Shui is actually pretty easy to grasp and room quality is bog-standard DF rules so I'm not really having problems there. What controls item quality? Will higher-level crafters make better quality items?

It's normal, alternate between 'Practice' or 'Balance' settings to get the cultivation going and 'Mind' to recharge mood.

For items, there's item quality, which I think only matters for the mood of the person using it, and then there's Tier, which actually affects how powerful the effects are. It's affected by Artisan and Crafting, and maybe(?) Magic Crafting for inners? And also crafting stuff and generally any skill you gokus use on your school map screen uses you Ability score, Level is for resolving events only.

At the beginning you probably don't need to worry about Tier too much, later on you'll get a skill to upgrade it directly.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
There's a really useful mod, which is on the workshop in English (called Elysium I think) that lets you set minimum and maximum mental states and will shuffle your inners between modes to keep between them. It's very helpful and doesn't add new mechanics or make things really too easy, it just removes some of the micro with regards to inner disciples mental state. If you're okay with mods I'd highly recommend it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

HiKaizer posted:

There's a really useful mod, which is on the workshop in English (called Elysium I think) that lets you set minimum and maximum mental states and will shuffle your inners between modes to keep between them. It's very helpful and doesn't add new mechanics or make things really too easy, it just removes some of the micro with regards to inner disciples mental state. If you're okay with mods I'd highly recommend it.
Found it! Yeah I don't really want to move away from the base game or invalidate/change entire mechanics but stuff like automatically using pills/medicine if it's available for their maladies to take out useless micro is acceptable to me.

I'm thinking about spending an hour or so rerolling some disciples for a new start since my sect got annihilated by dragon rabbit or whatever that fluffy thing was. The map seeds on the old wiki seem pretty out of date though, anyone know a good fun one? Doesn't have to op with three giant gingkos or anything just one with a lot of different stuff.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If you are still learning and want to get rid of the corner map demon beast, then you can cheese it by trapping it in a room filled with campfires to cook it to death. Building it will help you learn a bit more about room size and temperature control.

As for food, a normal map usually have enough pear tree and ginko tree to last you to winter. It’s easier to send Inner to visit the village that produce meat instead.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'd actually recommend grabbing a 'broken' map. The big difference between a good map and a bad one is gingkos and the amount of spirit soil; spirit soil just means you spend more time doing the actual fun stuff and not waiting for your crops to grow.

If you check out the discord there's a channel with map seeds

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Pierson posted:

I'm thinking about spending an hour or so rerolling some disciples for a new start since my sect got annihilated by dragon rabbit or whatever that fluffy thing was. The map seeds on the old wiki seem pretty out of date though, anyone know a good fun one? Doesn't have to op with three giant gingkos or anything just one with a lot of different stuff.

I strongly recommend going into the realms palace on the main menu and creating some reincarnators instead. It works like the prepare carefully mod for rimeworld but the people you create are saved permanently and added to your starting group by typing in their name+gender. Even if you want to still roll for characters it's worth doing it there so you don't have to spend hours rolling everytime you restart.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

is there a soft time limit to have a Golden Core Goku or talk to sect leaders or whatever? I followed the beginners guide and have a full sect with 4 inners before summer and it's somewhat overwhelming having to direct this herd of doped up cats. I'm getting bad option paralysis - should I cultivate? Go on adventures? Should I already be in someone's good graces? Did I already miss something? I've "met" all sect leaders and have the 5 laws from the story event at My Fullmoon.

i'd like to be able to take my time and figure stuff out without Body Vegetas coming along and doming me because I spent too long trying to build a pretty cultivation room.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The difficulty ties to your sect’s reputation, so keep it low and you will be fine.

Certain things are unlocked after hundreds of days or a few years, but those are safe if you don’t poke at it or follow the tutorial.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

That's good to know. After playing a ton of Oxygen Not Included and Frostpunk, I have this ticking clock in my head screaming "DO STUFF NOW OR LOSE IN 100 TURNS!"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Yeah, I also hates survival/sim games that ramps up difficulty by time instead of player achievements.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

With Frostpunk it makes total sense since literally The Storm Is Coming, but with a game like this I'm always afraid I'll just be happily sifting through everything exploring the mechanics when suddenly 3 high-level dudes show up and heel-kick our spines in half because the game expected me to be at a certain level by a certain time.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

With Frostpunk it makes total sense since literally The Storm Is Coming, but with a game like this I'm always afraid I'll just be happily sifting through everything exploring the mechanics when suddenly 3 high-level dudes show up and heel-kick our spines in half because the game expected me to be at a certain level by a certain time.

Flood dragon is the closest analogue to this and it takes forever to show up. On default settings you are pretty safe unless you gently caress up by making your sect famous very quickly

Make those talismans of invisibility

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Physical YaoGuai cultivators will give you a bad time however if you're not prepared for them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I'm fairly confident there is a way, but I'm having a terrible time trying to actually find useful info on this. I have a guy doing some path that eats your lifespan, and one of the skills gave him heart damage. What do I actually want to shove down his throat to fix organ damage?

Also is there something useful I can do when I max out qi? I don't have enough max qi to try to artifact like an actual weapon, but can I like.. make dirt blocks into artifacts and smelt those for spirit stones or something?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Panacea pill fixes smelting heart.

Qi is health and mana. You need enough to use abilities and craft artifacts, but otherwise there's not really a meaningful way to leverage it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sokani posted:

Panacea pill fixes smelting heart.

Qi is health and mana. You need enough to use abilities and craft artifacts, but otherwise there's not really a meaningful way to leverage it.

Where do you make that? It isn't in the list on the medicine bench or under alchemy that I can see, unless its a different name. I also have someone with a miracle called panacea that doesn't seem to work.

This is what I see as my options:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It's a high tier potion, you don't start with the ability to make it. One of the other sects trades it, and sometimes you can pull one out of an elf chest or as a rare drop from combat. Your cultivator will just have to suffer until one comes around.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sokani posted:

It's a high tier potion, you don't start with the ability to make it. One of the other sects trades it, and sometimes you can pull one out of an elf chest or as a rare drop from combat. Your cultivator will just have to suffer until one comes around.

Ah, I guess that makes sense.

I was curious about uses for spare qi because this guy regens qi as fast as he spends it when making artifacts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You start getting qi dumps at golden core and beyond. I haven't played in a while, might be mixing some things up here but general qi use goals:
Meditation (one of the easier to understand ways to make progress after golden core: spend qi and lifespan to super cultivate)
Item improvement miracles: raise every stat boost medicine to max tier before giving them to people. You spam it on the same item dozens of times at 30k a pop
Stat improvement miracles
Fighting and formations

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So after messing around with body cultivator stuff a bit, if you start with enough eating ability to consume Ganoderma herbs (6) you have a huge advantage. Like I made a frog to mess around with and she can eat level 8 stuff, while a tiger I made could only eat level 4. So you can send your dude out to look for ganodermas and not progress towards their trial, then eat those for stamina so you're basically always upgrading (also they give pure life essence so you can upgrade your white stats for upgraded bodies faster). Starting with a beast body cultivator and an extra dude or two seems like a fairly easy start, since you can have him run around on the map and everyone else can still clear and build stuff up in a reasonable time, and you don't have to give up extra stat backgrounds for it.

In an unrelated question, is the match% set when pick a law, or if you improve your stats does that go up as well?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

So after messing around with body cultivator stuff a bit, if you start with enough eating ability to consume Ganoderma herbs (6) you have a huge advantage. Like I made a frog to mess around with and she can eat level 8 stuff, while a tiger I made could only eat level 4. So you can send your dude out to look for ganodermas and not progress towards their trial, then eat those for stamina so you're basically always upgrading (also they give pure life essence so you can upgrade your white stats for upgraded bodies faster). Starting with a beast body cultivator and an extra dude or two seems like a fairly easy start, since you can have him run around on the map and everyone else can still clear and build stuff up in a reasonable time, and you don't have to give up extra stat backgrounds for it.

In an unrelated question, is the match% set when pick a law, or if you improve your stats does that go up as well?

It goes up with your stats.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So after a body part has the max essence, what exactly happens if you choose more of that? It seems like it just disappears, but I could be missing something.

30.5 Days posted:

It goes up with your stats.

Excellent.

edit: is there any downside to stuffing my guys full of ginseng and purity leaf and stuff outside of reduced effectiveness for eating more of the same?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 25, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

ZypherIM posted:

So after a body part has the max essence, what exactly happens if you choose more of that? It seems like it just disappears, but I could be missing something.
Disappears. There's a warning bar about it. Good for getting one less White stat though.

quote:

edit: is there any downside to stuffing my guys full of ginseng and purity leaf and stuff outside of reduced effectiveness for eating more of the same?
Those don't have medicine resistance. You can eat them forever, but ginseng fills hunger.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Is there a bug with body cultivation showing you gaining secret bodies that you aren't? I think it might be showing secret bodies from other laws? I wasn't reading real close, just something about some sort of claw thing, but the only new one in my list is the normal dark turtle thing.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Everyone who uses Primordial Unity Body gains Dark Turtle Shell at the Incubation Phase, but only human and frog body cultivators gain other secret bodies at that phase. For example if you had a tiger body cultivator then they'd only learn Dark Turtle Shell at Incubation Phase.

Only frogs and humans should learn Primordial Unity Body imo. And frogs kinda suck compared to humans.

Here's a google doc that lists everything. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QfVZ9tvaUFXORqIEG3zOP2O-KYcPlpd0I7aR0Y0SzJI/edit#gid=1806084299

Maybe your body cultivator had a damaged claw and the body part remolded itself? But that'd bring up the remolding screen, idk.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The breakthrough screen shows all the possible secret bodies you unlock at that tier, but the remolding screen only shows the ones you can actually form. The 'missing' secret bodies require limbs you don't have on that cultivator, like claws or a tail.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sokani posted:

The breakthrough screen shows all the possible secret bodies you unlock at that tier, but the remolding screen only shows the ones you can actually form. The 'missing' secret bodies require limbs you don't have on that cultivator, like claws or a tail.

That sounds like what happened, which is confusing as heck.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We need a mod to add/amend more info to the help screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Is there any downside to using Spiritual Breath Chant to hoover up Qi? Its pretty handy for crafting or repeated breakthroughs, and there are enough not obvious things that I wonder if I'm missing something.

edit: also, is the only limit to manual pavillion learning the extra levels some skills have? ie no limits on the overall form state. I did notice you can learn stuff without the pre-reqs which seems like maybe a bug.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 3, 2021