Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Really nifty diagram, deep dish peat moss, I appreciate your taking the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
:same:

That's the most helpful thing I have seen regarding managing Feng Shui for the kitchen and smithy. Thank you and I'm looking forward to more blueprints.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I started playing and my inner disciple seems to be losing his poo poo over not having an artifact. Unfortunately he has literally 1 in artifiact creation and the games telling me he'll have a mental break if he tries to craft anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I haven't even figured out how to craft an artifact. You don't do it by hitting Produce on the artifact factory; there isn't one.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The game is telling you his current mental state is 'mental break'. Inner disciples gain a new stat bar called 'mental state' that needs to be managed along with mood. To raise mental state, switch your inner to 'mind' training on their stat bar. Build some recreational facilities if you haven't yet. See if you know any talismans that improve mood.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't even figured out how to craft an artifact. You don't do it by hitting Produce on the artifact factory; there isn't one.

Inners gain a 'craft' button above their stat bar. For talisman crafting, the 'draw' button is in the same place.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a take two of the base blueprint I posted last page using some tips from @swb on discord. It's not as pretty and is more complex but it's a good opportunity to show off a few feng shui tricks I've learned. Mostly what I wanted to do here was include a dining room which I've also made a rec room. I then had to move the water jars into these weird antechambers in order to keep everything within the 20x20 size limit for a blueprint without creating a long trip outside from the forge/furnace/stove to a water jar.

Everything pictured (rooms and objects both) is considered Very Auspicious (Edit: actually the rooms the water jars are in are NOT, but the only thing they need is less empty space. A spirit stone Screen in each one would work)

Things of note:
The well and water jar in the bottom right are doing some kind of cool things here. One of those two ice crystal lamps is feeding the water jar through the wall (still in feng shui range) which was required to get the jar to V. Ausp. Then the well piggybacks off of that by adding another lamp (It needed 2 for V Ausp). This cuts down on the amount of cold air being pumped into the water jar room.

I am not sure why the left water jar antechamber doesn't need an ice lamp on the outside :shrug: Probably just natural water element in the tiles down there.

There's a probably much easier answer of putting the well inside the water jar antechamber (with the antechamber being slightly larger)

The water jar antechambers could have an exit to the outside without causing a Feng Shui leak anywhere, I think. (just one exit to the outside each, no more)

I removed the Igneocopper wall next to the stove, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I need it. One of my mods seems to be causing some weird issues with the wall that make it need the igneocopper wall, but if I switch to a spirit stone wall and re-load my save it works, so I went ahead and got rid of it. You can use the same principle of adding 1 tile of Igneocopper (or whatever element) in a wall to support an object that's up against it though, so if this turns out differently on your map and one of the objects is Ausp instead of V Ausp, that's how to go about the fix.
(E: figured this out: When I added the door on the south of the kitchen I put an igneocopper floor under it, which qualified the stove for V.Ausp without needing the igneocopper wall next to it)

I learned a LOT about doors. You can have as many doors in your rooms as you want AS LONG AS THEY LEAD INTO OTHER ROOMS. It can't be an empty room, it needs to be a Feng Shui room.

Here are the only rules that really need to be remembered:

1) If a room has an external door, that door MUST be on the room's preferred wall (e.g. south for bedrooms)
2) Every room MUST have at least SOME kind of door on its preferred door side (if it has a preference), whether it leads outside or into another room
3) There's no penalty for multiple doors, but there IS a penalty for multiple external doors. So don't have more than one door in a room that leads outside. (This may or may not apply to having multiple doors that all lead into the same room, I didn't think to test that)
4) You can use tiny little, like, 1x3 antechamber rooms to create an external door anywhere. Put a 1x3 room on the east side of your bedroom, the door leading to that room won't be "external" so it won't count against the bedroom, then that antechamber can have another door leading outside. That antechamber DOES need a feng shui object in it, but you can just do a Small Table + lamp that feeds it for a V. Aus room that creates an external door.

Here's an example of how to create an external door anywhere without causing a Feng Shui leak by using a 1x3 antechamber (the antechamber itself is even Very Auspicious!)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 2, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so... why don't sword artifacts count as weapons

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
They want something in their empty 'weapon' slot. I have no idea why they need both an artifact and a useless regular weapon, but they do.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So I sat down with this last night. Played a little bit, about a week and a half in-game, enough to get some houses up and cultivate my first inner disciple to the first bottleneck.

Cool, I think. Now I've got a handle on what I'm doing, let's start over and do it without all the flailing around and building poo poo without any clear use for it.

Cue a nightmarish Groundhog Day scenario where I replay the same twelve days half a dozen times and perform worse every single time. My disciples die of hunger, they die of thirst, they get rained on and revolt.

Last attempt I thought I had everything going great and then just as I was about to push him to inner my best disciple died of a heart attack. Just a random heart attack, in his sleep. :cripes:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Once you have homes and basic poo poo down, just plop a reasonably sized plot on fertile soil and grow wheat. You don't need seeds or anything. If you follow the plot missions a bit, you should be able to build an outpost in Mt. South before winter, which can generate wheat every day. After I got my bearings I restarted on ironman for the cheevos, and survival really is not that big of a deal. Random bandits murdering your starting good disciples can be a problem, so have at least 1 inner on your map at all times.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Speaking of bandits, how shoul I build the inners for combat? How much does the Battle skill matter? Should I pump artifact power, or invest in offensive spells?

Also, when can I deal with the awakened beast living in my backyard? So far it's completely murdering anything that stumbles close to it p much without a scratch.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Last attempt I thought I had everything going great and then just as I was about to push him to inner my best disciple died of a heart attack. Just a random heart attack, in his sleep. :cripes:

Sleeping people suffer from random heart attacks when the room Feng Shui is bad. You can't view Feng Shui until you promote an inner and construct the observatory.

Just promote an inner right at the start. There is useful business they can get to on the world map.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sokani posted:

Just promote an inner right at the start. There is useful business they can get to on the world map.

Hmm. That's what I did on my first run, but I only have two other disciples, and one of them sucks rear end for mining/crafting. I thought holding off long enough to get houses up would be the smarter play, but I guess not.

What should I be sending him out to do?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Recruit more disciples, which solves your problem.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The City of Abundance location lets you recruit more people. Grabbing a few people early on helps. Even if they are bad and you don't want them long term, having more people to fill all the work orders is good. There's a village location nearby with meat so you can keep the people fed while you wait for crops to mature.

You can get large stacks of resources by exploring the nearby maps. Send your disciple to camp at the location, then enter it.

You will appear on that location's map and be able to walk around. Your disciple can carry back 6 stacks of whatever you find, and as long as you aren't at another sect's base nobody cares that you're taking their stuff. Watch out for qi beasts, you probably can't win a fight at this point.

If you enter Mt FullMoon, in the bottom right of the map is the gate to the old Taiyi Sect. Click on the gate and interact with it to unlock Ruins of Taiyi on the map. Ruins of Taiyi is a safe location you can fully explore, with many fat stacks of basic resources to help your fledgling colony.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks!

Should I straight straight away, no cultivation at all first?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
You can only send inners/cultivators to other locations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Go right away, but save before you enter a location so you can load if you run into combat. I think the beasts always spawn in the same spots, so you can avoid them. Later when you have an artifact and a pet you can return to explore the guarded areas.

Cultivating can get you combat and map move speed increases, but when you're learning the game you probably can't make it happen fast enough to be worth waiting for.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is inner cauldron something you can build up from the start or does it require you to achieve a certain amount of breakthroughs?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You can build it up, but it builds so slowly you should ignore it completely. To get an appreciable effect you need to stack a bunch of different bonuses, kind of a late game thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How do I make an artifact? I have an artifact foundry, and an inner cultivator who is going mad because no artifact.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do I make an artifact? I have an artifact foundry, and an inner cultivator who is going mad because no artifact.

select the inner disciple and hit the craft button and select an object to use as reagant. You may have to burn attainment and inspiration to get their crafting skill up.

you probably can get one from adventuring too but im not that experienced with that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I got way more efficient about my Feng Shui. Blueprints are fixed so here's an updated version of the building I've been posting about. Bonus: It does way more for less resources.

To download it: Look for the Steam Workshop links in the next post by me on this page

There's plenty of empty space you can fill up with whatever decorations you want! Just be aware that moving anything around may throw off the entire feng shui. Lots of room for improvement still, if you can think of anything you want to see added to a future version let me know. I plan to make a separate one that houses a few Inner Disciples, gives them cultivation rooms and has libraries and talisman crafting.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 2, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So flooring does effect feng shui then

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yep! Importantly, the don't forget to place flooring under doors when there's an object nearby coming up short. I don't have exact values but there seems to be a hierarchy:
Decorations > Walls > Flooring

Since you already have walls I try and build everything close to those wherever possible, which significantly reduces the amount of element you need from decorations or flooring.

Note: since floors are a small amount of element, these buildings are juuuuuust barely over the V. Auspicious threshold - when you place the blueprint on your map they might come out Auspicious based on natural terrain modifiers. If that happens just toss a fire/ice wall or lamp next to them or add in some extra fire/ice floors in their range.

Edit: Here's a blueprint complex I did for inner disciples

Room for 2 disciples with a shared cultivation room (shares 1 table, just put spirit wood on the middle one) built with Spirit Stone so it will work for any element. Iron artifact/elixir crafting (you can delete it from any you build past the 1st one), talisman tables, 18 library shelves, dining room, leisure items. 100% V. Auspicious

Oh yeah also external doors on all 4 sides

Just make sure if you do fire items on one half of the tables to do ice on the other half to balance the room's temperatures.

Downloads: (steam workshop)
Inner Disciple Complex
Outer Disciple Complex

Guide for using these to quick-start a new save:
1) Immediately eat the formation pill and promote your sect leader, then start a sect. This will unlock all of the buildings used. Set everyone else to build and place the Outer Sanctum blueprint
2) Send your Inner to camp at Mt. Fullmoon
3) Click the Handicraft table in the blueprint (top left), maximize the priority. When it builds, queue up 4 Brownstone Offcuts, 1 Igneocopper offcut, 1 Ice Crystal offcut
4) Explore sect map and mine to get 1 igneocopper ore and 1 ice crystal ore. Make sure you get 4 brownstone ore too
5) Enter the Mt Fullmoon map with your Inner and Examine the gate in the bottom right corner
6) Leave Mt. Fullmoon, then send your Inner to Ruins of Taiyi Sect and enter that map. You can find all the iron/marble you need there, plus lots of other cool stuff for free! (Make sure to only pick up material stacks of 200+, if you don't see any leave the map and come back and their quantities will reroll. Once you pick up a stack, that stack will never reappear)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

May your gokus be full of Qi, elder.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Might have been buggy behavior but I had 3 dudes get stuck in the top left bedroom.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Beo posted:

Might have been buggy behavior but I had 3 dudes get stuck in the top left bedroom.

Ah thanks, looks like the talisman table is blocking it. I'll get a fixed version soon but a quick fix would be just removing the little alcove for the exterior door right below it (and removing that door)

Fixed!

There's bound to be a better solution that doesn't cut off movement through the room so I'll take another look later on.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 2, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I accidentally reloaded a save directly before I scribed the formation books and sold them, is there a way to just cheat them in or something? I....do not want to go back a few hours just to use formations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
What do I do with spirit water? I started a game on a "plateau" as the environment type, and it has some spirit water. Should I raise this to become spirit earth? Does that even work?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

grate deceiver posted:

Speaking of bandits, how shoul I build the inners for combat? How much does the Battle skill matter? Should I pump artifact power, or invest in offensive spells?

Also, when can I deal with the awakened beast living in my backyard? So far it's completely murdering anything that stumbles close to it p much without a scratch.
Bandits are always going to be poo poo for a long time if you take care of everyone and don't blitz rep. You get a combat pet who can help you after a little wait. You may fight Inners around 350 rep, but you should have a Golden Core by then, who clowns the guys at 1000 rep. You should have multiple Inner when you get a Golden Core and mentor them.
Early on, spells are stronger than your crappy artifacts, but they have a good bit of cooldown, while your artifacts are constantly attacking. Just do whatever.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The devs did a pass which was released today that finished translating all of the untranslated text. I'm not sure if the translation is final but I'm happy to report there are no more random Chinese menus to guess your way through!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone know what to do with a sentient lamp that arrived?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Womyn Capote posted:

Anyone know what to do with a sentient lamp that arrived?

try feeding it

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
One of my starters in a brand new game:

Not much going for it beyond qi and plain stats, but hey that'll be a free grade 1 core. :v:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Falcorum posted:

One of my starters in a brand new game:

Not much going for it beyond qi and plain stats, but hey that'll be a free grade 1 core. :v:

That's an incredible starting character! 83 Qi Sense, and that's before learning any Qi-boosting and Qi Sense-buffing arts. :stare:

And decent all-round stats for a human character as well! That'd make for good compatibility with a good range of Laws.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what you have there is a reincarnator, possibly with some sort of old man mentor living in their head.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Did they remove the "you have more than one door in this room" feng shui leak mechanic? Because all of these blueprints should have giant --- effects for having multiple doors. Also for having doors on the wrong sides of the room. I'm very confused.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

Did they remove the "you have more than one door in this room" feng shui leak mechanic? Because all of these blueprints should have giant --- effects for having multiple doors. Also for having doors on the wrong sides of the room. I'm very confused.

Feng Shui only leaks if there are multiple doors leading outside. Doors into other rooms don't incur a penalty, and you can make an external one not leak by using a tiny antechamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I am close to 100% certain that that wasn't true in the past. I know I've built rooms with inset workshops and had the larger room complain about leaking.