Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Holy balls zed you weren't kidding about the elder. She has 2 million qi and demolished my little raid instantly. gently caress. Only option is to keep waitin on a trade for the spirit soul gem. How often do the sects rotate their stock btw?

The 50 rep quests don't seem to give any connection either. Man, I hate this needing to suck up to sects for pillz thing.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I personally recommend the travelling merchant mod to make them show up more often. Admittedly it's more of a crapshoot what they carry, but you don't have to deal with the connection bullshit. Connection is way too hard to raise for what little you get out of it typically.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
On the other hand RNGncestor could help out and you get a sect leader likes poo poo pants and water.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

I have gotten multiple that don't have any favorites at all which is super keen.

Ascended my first shendao and now I understand their puzzle. It's an interesting balancing act of trying to make them better without making their meters fill up too fast. Need to find more talisman books so I can actually craft the -divinity talisman I've heard of.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
How to make element specific cultivation chambers in the early game? (do I need them?)

Is there a situation where I want a crappy qi/core shaping inner to use a bow instead of an artifact?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Cultivators get a mood penalty if they don't have a weapon equipped, even if they have an artifact, so get both. You should try to build an elemental cultivation room for each element, look for any items with 'qi gather' greater than 0. Your cultivators want to be surrounded by the element which feeds them, so a fire cultivator should be surrounded with wood element qi gathering items. Some elements are easier to build rooms for than others.

Tellaris posted:

Ascended my first shendao and now I understand their puzzle. It's an interesting balancing act of trying to make them better without making their meters fill up too fast. Need to find more talisman books so I can actually craft the -divinity talisman I've heard of.

Speaking of talismans, we have to bring up Skydome Palace's elder He Zhudao.

Shendao cultivation opened up for me when I learned you can cap their divinity so they won't ever ascend in 'balanced' mode. If you're able to break through past 'wise' you should be able to reach their max mental state level even if you didn't min-max everything. Keep an eye out for the scroll 'Mortal Melancholia' which helps with this.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 30, 2020

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

What do you do with the "strange little elf" event?

How Disgusting posted:

How to make element specific cultivation chambers in the early game? (do I need them?)

Is there a situation where I want a crappy qi/core shaping inner to use a bow instead of an artifact?

You need qi gathering objects of the feeding element of your law on stands surrounding a cushion. That's super easy if the feeding element is wood or earth, not hard if it's metal, and a bit more of a pain in the rear end if it's water or fire. You can also use a giant ginkgo for wood, though it only replaces one stand.

The main benefit of this super early on is just the cultivation speed increase, and that can be accomplished with spirit wood regardless of your feeding element, but if the feeding element is not wood you want the stands with spirit wood 3 or 4 cardinal tiles away from the cushion.

The other benefit is a breakthrough bonus, so you'll want a halfway decent one set up by gc breakthrough time. The early breakthroughs are easy peasy but a botched gc breakthrough can severely limit a character's ultimate potential. You can break cultivation and start over with pillz later but that's not an early game thing.

Re: bows. No, not to my knowledge. An inner can and should have both a weapon and an artifact or they get a mood penalty. I'm not clear on if they actually use the weapon, but this means that they can have both a bow and an artifact.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Nathilus posted:

What do you do with the "strange little elf" event?

Pick up a firework from the traveling merchant. Equip the firework on a cultivator and right click it from their inventory to use. It has unlimited range, and you want to set it off right in the elf's stupid face. Then you can take his poo poo.

They always drop more fireworks, so you just need one to get the ball rolling.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I've been playing this, and kind of enjoying it, but also stumbling on some of the unpolished edges (primarily, some of the English difficulties, typos, UI issues, etc.).

From a substantive standpoint, how complete/satisfying is this compared to Rimworld? I know such things are subjective, and I'm not looking to put down either game, just basically if you were theme agnostic and just wanted to play a good, complete, immersive game of this nature and could only pick one of the two, which would you play right now in terms of mechanics, complexity, depth of play, polish, etc.?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

SlyFrog posted:

a good, complete, immersive game of this nature and could only pick one of the two, which would you play right now

Tough to say, but I would play Rimworld first. It is much more polished and has a very satisfying experience from beginning to end, without some of the Quality of Life things that bog down ACS at points. It's also a better introduction to the colony sim genre, a ton of the concepts carry forward from Rimworld to ACS, but few translate the other way.

ACS has a richness of content, and I kept being floored when I unlocked new systems or found new ways to advance that were unique and interesting. Rimworld doesn't have quite so much packed into vanilla, but the modding community adds so much well-polished stuff that the distinction hardly matters. If you had to choose one, I would pick Rimworld and then move on to ACS when it gets stale.

I've played Rimworld on and off since early access and have 260 hours. I've played ACS since October, have 280, and still want more. It's a good game with a lot to do, but doesn't match the polish, especially if the weirdness in translation throws you off.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I agree that Rimworld is the more polished experience and that this blows it out of the water in terms of how much content there is.

It's very grindy and time intensive though. Even if you manage to wrap your head around everything you'll spend hours futzing with things to make them work just right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rimworld is a red herring. Or well maybe ACS represents a new prong of ant farm colony sims.

Spewing forth from the Infinite Maw of Dwarf Fortress, the colony sims have tended toward tower defensey hold your homestead to stoke your economy like Rimworld, or engineer your home from first principles to stoke your economy like Oxygen Not Included.

ACS represents a new aspect to focus on, which it shares with some of the Dwarf Fort hero generation as much as it shares with Princess Maker or other stat VNs: it is an esoteric number go up simulator. The numbers are incomparable to most other games, and they must go up.

ilyatha
Nov 4, 2009
Can't seem to find the answer to this so figured I'd ask here. Is there a way to change the law your inner disciple is using? I just did the secrets adventure, so I have more than my starting but no idea how to swap (if you can). Thanks in advance!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

ilyatha posted:

Can't seem to find the answer to this so figured I'd ask here. Is there a way to change the law your inner disciple is using? I just did the secrets adventure, so I have more than my starting but no idea how to swap (if you can). Thanks in advance!

There’s the rebirth pill, but you might want to save that for when you’ve got the stuff to really take advantage of redoing your (presumably) above average founder.

One of your first priorities, though, should be to build some manual pavilions and transcribe all of those laws into them. It’ll let you effectively cross-class, or skip over nodes on the cultivator’s own law. Note that you don’t actually need anyone who knows those skills yet to transcribe a full law (this tripped me up until my second run).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Can somebody post the mod that increases the rate of the trader showing up? I can't find it on the wiki or the discord.

ilyatha
Nov 4, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

There’s the rebirth pill, but you might want to save that for when you’ve got the stuff to really take advantage of redoing your (presumably) above average founder.

One of your first priorities, though, should be to build some manual pavilions and transcribe all of those laws into them. It’ll let you effectively cross-class, or skip over nodes on the cultivator’s own law. Note that you don’t actually need anyone who knows those skills yet to transcribe a full law (this tripped me up until my second run).

I understood...most of that. The terminology is still a bit rough, but I do see I can transcribe laws so let me go down that path once my disciple is back from an adventure. Thanks for the help!

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
ok, the golden core assist that you can purchase from other sects: what does it do, and can you get it from more than one sect at a time?

do other sects' options for trading refresh? I'm to the point where I guess I need drugs and I'm capable of getting a dece amount of money, but no one is really selling anything that seems to help.

can I send yaoguai off to agencies to not have to deal with their tribulation?

is the only thing to do with sentient objects to turn them mortal with one of the laws? do they do anything else? I've got like four wandering around my map which is pretty lol

finally, what foods affect what stats for the pets, and can they be reset?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Mister No posted:

I think the way to do this is with the abilities that consume growth and nutrition?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
How do I keep bugs bunny alive past his expiry date?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

How Disgusting posted:

How do I keep bugs bunny alive past his expiry date?

iirc, get his qi pool high and his qi protection rating high as well. unequip treasure when the time comes.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Ruzihm posted:

iirc, get his qi pool high and his qi protection rating high as well. unequip treasure when the time comes.

Now here's a problem. Bugs bunny is (was) a construction worker, same as his pal big chungus. Hare today, gone tomorrow. I guess it's time for chungus to hit the gym.

I will punish the heavens for turning my peasant into a pair of pants.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
What exactly are growth and maturity on plants?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

metasynthetic posted:

What exactly are growth and maturity on plants?

Growth gets filled up first based on fertility and temperature. Maturity starts filling up once growth is at 100%. It bears fruit once both are full.

For plants that last more than one season, growth stays at 100% after you harvest them (I think).

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

How Disgusting posted:

Growth gets filled up first based on fertility and temperature. Maturity starts filling up once growth is at 100%. It bears fruit once both are full.

For plants that last more than one season, growth stays at 100% after you harvest them (I think).

Ok, so does that mean you would get 100% of the wood from chopping at 100% growth, and then either a % of max fruit when it's between 0 and 100% maturity or just zero fruit until 100%?

Also noticing that non-fruit-bearing trees with spirit glow also have a maturity rate, does the same thing apply to spirit wood?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

How Disgusting posted:

Now here's a problem. Bugs bunny is (was) a construction worker, same as his pal big chungus. Hare today, gone tomorrow. I guess it's time for chungus to hit the gym.

I will punish the heavens for turning my peasant into a pair of pants.

the "boss" fight is one of the harder ones, so if you're not already a swole cultivator just write them off.

The heavens don't take kindly to animals loving around.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

the "boss" fight is one of the harder ones, so if you're not already a swole cultivator just write them off.

The heavens don't take kindly to animals loving around.

Unless you have a hilarious amount of qi absorption and qi barrier power, in which case you just do tribulations without actually losing anything. :v:

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Sokani posted:

Speaking of talismans, we have to bring up Skydome Palace's elder He Zhudao.

Who has the extremely good primordial symbols talisman law as his personal treasure which makes him actually worthy of all the spam. You can get it from him by either inviting him to your sect and murdering him for it or make friends with him and get it in return for gifting him some talisman paper. It gives you access to all the talismans you want and lets you inscribe talismans directly onto a character that practices it at certain breakthroughs which stack with equipping the normal version. You can even inscribe the same talisman multiple times onto your character for ridiculous stacking benefits if you create a macro for drawing it. The two downsides are that it's a non-elemental law so it's much harder to get a good golden core and the strength of the talismans you inscribe depends both on how good you are at drawing them and on how much qi you have to draw them.

Mister No posted:

can I send yaoguai off to agencies to not have to deal with their tribulation?

is the only thing to do with sentient objects to turn them mortal with one of the laws? do they do anything else? I've got like four wandering around my map which is pretty lol

Yes, but if you have a yaoguai you don't want you might as well turn them into a cultivator and stick them into a corner of your map to fail their tribulation and turn into a demon beast. You then have an extremely weak beast you can either kill right away or leave alone to slowly cultivate up to primordial spirit for better drops.

You can suck their soul out for a primordial soul gem.

The pet has a diet page that shows what every item it has ever eaten does but they fall into some general categories with fruits being intelligence and mushrooms being qi iirc. You are filling up nutrition meters for each stat instead of directly affecting the stats so it really isn't something you can screw up other than making it take longer to grow.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Falcorum posted:

Unless you have a hilarious amount of qi absorption and qi barrier power, in which case you just do tribulations without actually losing anything. :v:

How much damage does the tribulation do exactly? The last rabbit in line just poofed once the timer was up. I may have enough stored belief and qi-increasing manuals to pull it off.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been testing this all afternoon and it turns out it's true:

When you craft an artifact, the amount of Qi in the base item determines the tier and strength of the resulting artifact.

Also similarly to GC breakthroughs, higher qi in a base item leads to a longer crafting time - with super high Qi in the base item you can be crafting for days/weeks straight.

I don't have many details about the strength of the effect yet, but using a Core Shaping disciple with 28 artifact crafting skill, I was able to craft Tier 4, 8, and 11 artifacts by infusing sufficiently enormous amounts of Qi on a t6 Jade Spear (cheatingly high amounts - in a real game you'd be doing this with an artifact crafting character at a much higher stage)

This means you want to build cultivation spots for weapons, too that you will later craft into artifacts - and yes, using qi gathering items that feed the element of the weapon. (It's a very slow process)

This also means that there's a useful purpose for Spiritual Refinement (increases the qi/sec an item gains)

All thanks to spotting this tooltip when making a custom item in the Realm Palace :kiddo:

With literally the maximum amount of Qi an item can have (100 billion), this guy:

crafted this out of a t6 ice crystal spear (compared on the right to one he crafted with sub-100 qi in it)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I wonder if that affects anything when making stuff sentient/people.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Can somebody post the mod that increases the rate of the trader showing up? I can't find it on the wiki or the discord.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2140411487
It is entirely in chinese so have fun with that. I recommend google translate if you want to know what the various buttons do. Important bits are press P to bring up that window and the top left most option is "trader comes every day" and the one to the right is "comes between 1-10 days" afaik

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Bottom left sends one immediately

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

It makes an appearance in the produce stats, too.

I like to have a blade pill cooking, they get a big base power bonus.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 1, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is there a way to grow trees with spirit wood. I want more of that blue wood.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i got an injury from being possessed by a demon? just says i need to drink the correct elixir and i'm hoping it's what qi flow elixir is for.

found spiritleaf, now i'm just confused about the actual injury

Mister No fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 1, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mister No posted:

i got an injury from being possessed by a demon? just says i need to drink the correct elixir and i'm hoping it's what qi flow elixir is for.

buuuut where do you find spiritleaf and what demon possessed my girl i'm so confused

naw you gotta eat spirit powder. inner disciples can make it through alchemy.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been testing this all afternoon and it turns out it's true:

When you craft an artifact, the amount of Qi in the base item determines the tier and strength of the resulting artifact.

Also similarly to GC breakthroughs, higher qi in a base item leads to a longer crafting time - with super high Qi in the base item you can be crafting for days/weeks straight.

I don't have many details about the strength of the effect yet, but using a Core Shaping disciple with 28 artifact crafting skill, I was able to craft Tier 4, 8, and 11 artifacts by infusing sufficiently enormous amounts of Qi on a t6 Jade Spear (cheatingly high amounts - in a real game you'd be doing this with an artifact crafting character at a much higher stage)

This means you want to build cultivation spots for weapons, too that you will later craft into artifacts - and yes, using qi gathering items that feed the element of the weapon. (It's a very slow process)

This also means that there's a useful purpose for Spiritual Refinement (increases the qi/sec an item gains)

All thanks to spotting this tooltip when making a custom item in the Realm Palace :kiddo:

With literally the maximum amount of Qi an item can have (100 billion), this guy:

crafted this out of a t6 ice crystal spear (compared on the right to one he crafted with sub-100 qi in it)

This is interesting, but let’s say you just do the most optimal thing and raise your base item to max level with spectral refining first. Did you test if a grade 11 spear with zero Qi has worse stats than the same grade 11 spear with 100 billion Qi? Because that grade 11 spear doesn’t look very impressive on its own.

Unless I’m missing something (am I?) you’re trading 5 casts of spectral refinement for however much time it slowly takes to accumulate that much Qi, which doesn’t seem worth it. If it works on max level items, though, then it depends on just how much stronger.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Hihohe posted:

Is there a way to grow trees with spirit wood. I want more of that blue wood.

Grow regular trees, then wait for a 'burst of qi' weather event to turn some to spirit wood.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

This is interesting, but let’s say you just do the most optimal thing and raise your base item to max level with spectral refining first. Did you test if a grade 11 spear with zero Qi has worse stats than the same grade 11 spear with 100 billion Qi? Because that grade 11 spear doesn’t look very impressive on its own.

Unless I’m missing something (am I?) you’re trading 5 casts of spectral refinement for however much time it slowly takes to accumulate that much Qi, which doesn’t seem worth it. If it works on max level items, though, then it depends on just how much stronger.

From what I remember, spectral refinining an artifact does not increase its stats. It's not easy to craft t12 artifacts even with a maxed out artifact law Primordial - it might be flat out impossible without at least a few thousand Qi in the item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ah hell I just lost 1 of my 2 inners to the beast on this immortal run. petrify beast hurts so much :vincefrog: