Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I did my first Golden Core but it turned out only Tier 6, I had all the ideal season requirements, except the weather since I didin't have any weather spells yet. It was wood law, so I had the breakthrough room stacked with ice crystal ore. Is that the best I could have gotten out of this? Is max Qi really important for the first golden core breakthrough?

Probably not the best, but you need your first golden core to do only a couple of things: get the weather spells to increase GC scores for subsequent cultivators, and raise stat spells to increase the stats for subsequent cultivators. Then you can build a grade 1 GC and reincarnate your first guy. Using weather spells and stat boosts and he can get grade 1 easy.

My first golden core in my first game I got to grade 2. Make sure you are building a cultivation room with Qi-gathering items that boost your law (so use a bunch of spirit wood for fire cultivators) in a grid around him. Spirit wood has Qi-gathering 4, and that includes the space it is sitting in, so you can build a line of storage tables (or whatever they are called in the “life” build tab) three squares away from him in all directions, and that will greatly boost your breakthrough score.

See Nyaa’s LP for pictures on what it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

While you do want Outers to do work, there are reasons to Promote some with high crafting skills. Namely that Artisanry feeds in to Alchemy and Artifact Crafting and I believe some other skills do as well. So your dedicated alchemy/artifact crafters should be promoted craftsmen using the apropriate laws (e.g. Myriad Artifact Law for an artifact crafter)

Myriad artifact law (maybe any law with a mortal outer breakthrough stage) is interesting because you can put the cultivator on craft or forge or tailor and the artifact craft skill will go up. Did it on a cat and raised artifact craft from 13-26. No inspiration points needed!

This means they if your cultivation law has a stage where the breakthrough is to return to mortal, outer stage stage for a while, you can get millions of “free” inspiration by doing this. Have them wear the speed boosting, craft speed boosting, and second speed boosting charm during this time to be extra efficient.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Syenite posted:

Yeah it's a large map, although searching a box/body for that chakram & cloth is about as far as any of them were from the water. I've definitely run into both the sleeping outside, and the thirst issues, although this is the first time it has been so severe and nigh-instantaneous. The charm idea definitely seems prudent.

Move speed charms are eesntial to maximize outer productivity so you can cultivate more people. Also, the thirst thing happens sometimes- it’s a bug that gets discussed every now and then. Save/reload should fix it.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

What causes sleep to be interrupted due to hearing movement? All of my characters have there own room but almost every other night one can't sleep because they're hearing something move. There are no animals nearby. Is it other characters snoring or something? :shrug:

Probably light sleeper trait or something similar. Check their traits.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Never feel bad about how long it takes to reach Golden Core. It took Goku 386 episodes.

Since you’re making the amazing blueprints, you should make a 5 element alchemy furnace (+ plus a no element one, though I don’t know if no element pills get a bonus from anything) plus a few relic crafting tables (where the element doesn’t matter, but maybe the Chinese community is split on that issue?)

That way that part of the game is streamlined for everyone. I’m going to post a shendao guide that can probably go in the OP, but it’s going to basically say “don’t worry about this at all except for mind cleanse until you get the talisman law from he zudao.” Also I will look into making the cheapest room for a shendao 48 state breakthrough, unless you’re going to do that.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

(E: Nevermind - someone in Discord tested and did find a large difference in yield based on furnace element. I'll get one put together!

For Shendao I've just been giving them a 5x5 room with stone walls, a stone bed, a stone screen and a stone lamp but I'm not much of a shendao expert. This is at least enough to get two mental state breakdowns and start working on divine residents but that's the furthest I've made it with one.

Element 100% affects yield of alchemy, you want a furnace that feeds the pill element so for earth pills use an igneocopper furnace. I don’t know if higher quality materials affects the yield (for example using fire bars instead of igneocopper bars).

Relic crafting tables may be affected by element, but with a couple of the right skills learned, you will never fail to get t12 from t12 specter refined stuff, and even later, get t12 from t9 crafted. Also I don’t know if the element affects the final relic stats, though if it did you would definitely want one of each. I suspect this would be hard to test because of the random stats anyway.

For shendao cultivation, you want a normal auspicious room that doesn’t add pluses or minuses, so a normal v ausp room with 2 doors works. That gives you “ a typical room +4” bonus which you need to keep mood low because it’s absolute value.

I’m talking about the shendao breakthrough room- you probably used the “guide” room with all spirit crystal and divine jade, which is waaaay overkill and delays shendao cult start. I was going to see what the cheapest room you can get early for a 48 state breakthrough, which could replace that overkill rooom in Rith’s guide. There is some discussion about it, maybe in Guide appendix? Like it has to be 100 squares, etc.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 5, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Zurai posted:

Happy to help!

At some point here, if no one else beats me to it, I'll probably do up a guide for making animal people reincarnators. I figured it out on my own and it isn't hard, just a lot of steps.

That would be awesome, especially if you listed out which examined items give which thoughts.

I always feel like towards the end game there is just so much going on that raising a perfect animal cult is just too much effort. I actually raised 2 bears, gave them the max amount of the best thoughts for body cult, then found out that (1) traits don’t stack: (2) they had 5 days before tribulation. That killed my enthusiasm right off.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Small alchemy furnaces, being non-element, do not get yield bonuses.

Also, did you put your name in the mod names on the steam workshop? That way people can just make one search and get them all.

Another good reason to have all the various elemental alchemy furnaces together is to be able to select them in the alchemy branch location. I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can only make the branch area a big square.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 5, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

So, I followed (loosely) some of those excellent blueprints, but that meant I end up getting blessed as a sect early on, which instantly gets 300 sect reputation and seems to lead to enemy cultivators showing up incredibly early. Does blessed status give any bonuses that are worth the trade-off, or should I try to keep it below that until I'm halfway set up to at least handle 2 enemies with artefacts?

Blessed status early is all downside. I think it gives a mood bonus that is not worth the enemy power spike. Be sure to raise a body cultivator ASAP for base defense. If you never promote them past the GC equivalent stage, you can have them cultivate forever without facing tribulation and become ludicrously strong.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

Thank you for the answers! Unfortunately, as seems to be par for the course for this game, I have now heard about at least three other things I did not know about. Time to do some more digging.

:pseudo:

There is so much! I have done almost everything in the game, but for one of the most important- the story- I haven’t even gotten to the second step.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Operant posted:

Thanks guys. Also unsure how to unlock locations on the map - for example there's locations on mt. shu and all I see at the moment is just 'mt. shu' as a location to visit - do I just keep needing to send inners to adventure in that area?

Yes to this. Send people on adventures until the lower right location badge says 100%.

Two tips here: make and equip your travel inners with the talismans that increase map move speed. Then look at time the individual inner takes to do an adventure. If it takes more than 1.5 days, you’re probably better off camping there instead of adventuring.

Later on you’ll have adventure times of like .23 days and adventuring “numerous times” until you get the location to 100% will be optimal. You will also get location mats and possibly faction rep by doing this, so it’s a good plan. For greater efficiency, get some high luck sunflower cultivators. They have better map speed, and higher luck is always better.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

I also tested regular wood, which gave me Slightly Auspicious. So this means that something about the item used affects the strength of the feng shui. I didn't get around to testing what it is exactly but I'd guess either tier or Qi Gathering stats.

Anyway the short version here is that most of Alchemy Furnace feng shui is going to be in using the appropriate items from your stockpiles rather than the way they're built or laid out, so I'm not sure how useful a blueprint would actually be, but I'll at least get one uploaded later that has empty tables with nothing on them.

I have something like 18 flags in one of my alchemy rooms to get to very auspicious. I’m going to play with stands and items once you get the furnace blueprint uploaded. I also think you could use a proper spirit relic to get v aus, but of course that is RNG and you can’t count on getting a usable one.

Ground tiles affecting feng shui through floors is bullshit.

Thing I have learned: the dragon pet you can hatch after you kill the flood dragon will sometimes drop dragon feces.

Also I have like 6 crimson fruit trees on my map, because the one that I planted keeps sending out new trees that grow, and those trees, once grown, send out new trees. I guess it happens at 100% full growth, which is easy to hit with the crimson fruit tree because they seem to grow at around 250% speed, and crate their own heat so you can put them in their own 3x3 room and it heats itself to the proper temp.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 7, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

An Inner Disciple with a better Golden Core-level will have a much higher Max Qi level when they reach Nascent Soul, compared to another Inner Disciple with a lower Golden Core-level.

Higher Max Qi level will allow you to:

(a) spam your combat spells during fights;

(b) last longer in fights with strong enemies;

(c) survive more Heavenly Tribulations and thereby generate more Nascent Soul threads for item-enchantment purposes;

(d) survive the break-through to Demi-God level and post-Demi-God ascension, which always requires you to clear a Heavenly Tribulation.

You don't need a top-tier Golden Core for your first (or even first few) disciples, but you should aim to eventually reach top-tier Golden Cores if you want to handle end-game fights (e.g. invading the other sects on the map and fighting the Torch Dragon, Flood Dragon and Fiery Phoenix).

There’s a lot that goes into getting a Good GC that just happens as you progress, but you need to get there first. Most important thing for first GC is weather spells and stat raising spells- there will make your subsequent GCs much stronger and have better breakthroughs. Also being able to cast spectral refinement or whatever to raise tier of talismans (talismen?) and elixirs is very strong.

The only real downside of a low-tier GC is that you need to have enough Qi to cast some spells- maybe 60,000 or so by nascent soul. Much later your nascent a will have 700k+ without thinking about it, but the progress to get there is incremental, and all on the backs of your first few weak GCs.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Weebus posted:

What law do you need for stat boosting spells? I've only had true sun golden cores so far and they don't seem to have any.

6 paths- perceptive: perception (third eye)
16 steps- enlightened: intelligence (enlightened awakening)
True sun- resilient: constitution (marrow sanity action)
Sunflower- charismatic: charisma (body remolding)

They are all at primordial spirit and you don’t need to study that particular law to learn it from the manual shelf.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

An important thing in this game is the relationship between water element & cold, and fire element and heat. It's not 1:1 (bodies of water aren't inherently cool, and while a display with an ice crystal bar creates the same amount of water element as an ice crystal lamp, the bar is much colder) but most things that create one create the other. Smelters, forges, and stoves are hot.

Speaking of heat and cold, I put together an early game walk-in freezer design. Requires 23 ice crystal bars (6 ice crystal ore), 5 igneocopper bars (2 igneocopper ore), and ice crystal offcuts (1 ice crystal ore).

Goes like this:

code:
SISISISISIS
IL Y   Y LI
S         S
S         S
I Y  Y  Y I
SISISISISIS
S = Stone wall
I = Ice crystal wall
L = Ice crystal lamp
Y = display

Floors are ice crystal offcuts. No feng shui objects so replace any stone wall with a stone door or ice crystal walls with ice crystal doors.

In the summer, put ice crystal bars on the displays, in the winter put igneocopper. This will keep the temperature below freezing and above -30. Not sure what specifically is required for spring/fall but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Includes 29 tiles of space for your meats, etc.

This is a nice design, but there’s no reason to stay above -30 just for the sake of fiddling with it. Just put a soul pearl inside 4 brownstone walls of almost any size with no floor and while the temperature may fluctuate between -30 and -160, no one is going to stay in long enough to die. Until then, just put enough ice crystal bars on the stands to not go above zero when the summer temp hits 30. Once you get the mini universe storage, temperature doesn’t really matter any more.

Once you get the spirit tree that has to stay between 15-35 degrees to grow at a decent rate you’re going to start hating having to manage the temperature by hand.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Yeah I was confused because I definitely saw something somewhere that said the elements should flow clockwise on the chart.

The elements should flow clockwise on the chart, just like the arrows suggest. The cultivators feeds the weapon, so metal cult wants water artifact , etc.

You can tell what is correct with regards to artifacts because the artifact tool tips will say: “five elements: connective.”

However, I don’t see that the bonus is actually very big, and while I wouldn’t use a wepon element that was suppressed by the cultivator’s element, I might recommend that everyone gets a non element spiritsone or spirit crystal weapon, because the non element is good against every enemy and element type.

It’s just that the legacy artifacts are also incredibly strong, like borealis and immortal Destiny.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

2fishy posted:

Hey guys,
I've recently got my first GC immortal/demi-god and now 2 strange things happened to him:

1. His next tribulation time shows that 5 days is left, but it never goes down, been like that for 10+ days already IIRC. Should it be like that?
2. Whenever I try to send him on adventure, I get something like "His limit was increased. It's not a time to Adventure." message. However, if I press Enter button on a world map, the immortal can do it freely.

So, raising the guy to demi-god stage prevents him from adventuring? Doesn't seem too fun to be honest.
And what about the infinite 5-day tribulation? Looks like a bug to me, do you know anything about it?

1) demigods cultivate to delay the tribulation. Body cults do this too while breathing, but not while remolding. Timer goes down when they do something besides cultivate

2) demigods CANT adventure but can enter. Yes it sucks and is pretty dumb, considering you usually want to enter a map once at the beginning of the game, while adventuring is extremely useful all the time.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Your guides are fantastic, thanks! I didn’t know that spirit soil had innate Qi gather.

With regards to giant ginkgo trees, if you have enough materials for the rest of the Qi gather table materials, I would always put it at range 5, even for fire law, because you don’t get range 5 Qi gather until after killing the flood dragon.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Falcorum posted:

I suspect it may affect already drawn talismans and other things but I haven't really tested those.
It does not.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

I've been testing this all afternoon and it turns out it's true:

When you craft an artifact, the amount of Qi in the base item determines the tier and strength of the resulting artifact.

Also similarly to GC breakthroughs, higher qi in a base item leads to a longer crafting time - with super high Qi in the base item you can be crafting for days/weeks straight.

I don't have many details about the strength of the effect yet, but using a Core Shaping disciple with 28 artifact crafting skill, I was able to craft Tier 4, 8, and 11 artifacts by infusing sufficiently enormous amounts of Qi on a t6 Jade Spear (cheatingly high amounts - in a real game you'd be doing this with an artifact crafting character at a much higher stage)

This means you want to build cultivation spots for weapons, too that you will later craft into artifacts - and yes, using qi gathering items that feed the element of the weapon. (It's a very slow process)

This also means that there's a useful purpose for Spiritual Refinement (increases the qi/sec an item gains)

All thanks to spotting this tooltip when making a custom item in the Realm Palace :kiddo:

With literally the maximum amount of Qi an item can have (100 billion), this guy:

crafted this out of a t6 ice crystal spear (compared on the right to one he crafted with sub-100 qi in it)

This is interesting, but let’s say you just do the most optimal thing and raise your base item to max level with spectral refining first. Did you test if a grade 11 spear with zero Qi has worse stats than the same grade 11 spear with 100 billion Qi? Because that grade 11 spear doesn’t look very impressive on its own.

Unless I’m missing something (am I?) you’re trading 5 casts of spectral refinement for however much time it slowly takes to accumulate that much Qi, which doesn’t seem worth it. If it works on max level items, though, then it depends on just how much stronger.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Patrat posted:

To comment on some of the above, qi regen has absolutely no impact on golden core formation. The UI does not indicate it anywhere at all but you do not regenerate your qi during golden core formation.

What does impact core formation is cultivation speed and so eating spirit stones and spirit crystals does boost your golden core grade, if you have 8K or more qi then eat a spirit crystal a few days before the core formation so that you have time to heal the resulting damage.

Then obviously the best breakthrough room and weather you can find, optimal season, if you can find or make talismans that boost cultivation speed though? Equip those. Also Demon Bear Fur items give a good cultivation speed boost and you can specter refine them for added power.

Qi regen doesn’t help GC formation, but More/better Qi gathering items surrounding your cultivation spot does increase your golden core score.

If you get above 300k Qi (I think) during GC breakthrough, that cultivator will get an orange title.

Mystical cave wants a nascent soul emo sev cultivator with 15 artisanry. inners can raise artisanry by creating things that have a quality rating, including artifacts, talismans, and items produced by leisure activities. it is much slower than crafting as an outer, so it is far more practical to grind it up for your artifact crafter before they promote.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Sokani posted:

Keeping the dragon down requires good Feng Shui and high beauty. I like to make the dragon room out of spirit stone for easy tier 6 decorations with good beauty. Ancient cultivators start showing up in the world at this point, if you ask one of them about the dragon they will give you a tool to suppress it further.

The relic in a basic room alone will keep the dragon suppressed forever.

I know this because I was using it in my tribulation room (+ 25 luck or whatever is no joke), and a bad weather event took my very auspicious cave room down to auspicious and the dragon broke out.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

I think that's kind of silly. By that logic, a human being living a life and getting a job and advancing in a career is some type of transcendent wizard story.

Sometimes things can be overly reduced to the point of silliness. I have not read any wizard stories where the story is the wizard sitting on a rock or meditating in a garden until he transcends and becomes a god, no.

I really have no desire for this to be some argument where you show me up, with some strange agenda that it's actually incredibly common and I'm just making up my ignorance of it or something. Or whatever you are angling toward.

No, I have never read books or seen movies about people who meditate until they become gods. I don't think a police drama really counts.

Maybe Dr. Strange (the movie) is a somewhat closer analogy?

I love this stupid cultivation game and I have never read a xuanxia novel or watched a Goku cartoon in my life. It’s got a lot of quirks, and can get frustrating, but even thoughthe basic guide is outdated, it will get you started with what you need to know- I’m not sure this is a game that anyone is going to find quickly intuitive.

There are a lot of little end-games that you can play to, but the overarching plot is trying to figure out who attacked and destroyed your sect in the tutorial.

I played a lot of rimworld when it first came out, and enjoyed it, but I have played this game a lot more, and LOVE IT.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

The slots in "Qi Gathering Range of 6 to 9" can only be filled using the remnants of ascended Demigod disciples.

As such, you will need to ascend at least 24 + 28 + 32 + 48 = 132 disciples in order to have an absolutely maxed out Qi breakthrough room.

Never would have expected it to be this easy!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

i've been slowly building up my cultivator ranks and just slowly testing out the game, to be honest. i finally got a cultivator with 300k+ qi so i can mass specter refine and i'm building a second one with hopefully more qi so i can refine more fluxes and other poo poo. i'm building cultivation rooms and testing out various setups (i need to see if i can just put my best crafters in their own private rooms with a sewing/smithing/crafting workstation with permissions set to 'room,' and if that means they'll be the only ones able to craft those items. that way i can just let the less skilled outers deal with the mass production orders). right now i'm also training up some body cultivators and shendao ones because they keep dying when they reach a certain level thanks to tribulations. i still don't understand how formations work or how to use them, but i only have messed with them once.

by the way, i think it was either in this thread or the discord, but i saw the screenshot for a five-element alch forge layout with a little herb garden on the edges of the room that looked really nifty, and i'd like to try it in my game but i can't find it again. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

I think deep dish peat Moss made a blueprint for one and put it on the workshop, or maybe I just asked him to and he didn’t. But he has some very helpful blueprints for download if you search his old posts in this thread.

Also maybe check the OP, it keeps getting updated with very helpful stuff.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 13, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Coming back to this game after a year… I’ve forgotten everything.

My main issue now is: why does my breakthrough percentage estimate always show as Unknown? Playing on immortal, if that matters.

Is this a mod issue or did I forget to build something (I have an observatory)?

It’s annoying because I don’t even know when I’m going to breakthrough to golden core because the golden core level estimate doesn’t come up, it’s just unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

That's a feature of Immortal mode, not a bug or a mod issue.

When you play on immortal, your breakthrough chance and expected golden core grade are always displayed as "Unknown".

Similarly, when you check a room's fengshui score in an Immortal game, you will only see the final fengshui grade (e.g. very ominous, auspicious, etc) and not the factors / reaons for the grade.

Immortal is fine, the Ironman aspect is fine, the feng shui aspect is fine, but not being able to see breakthrough percentages makes it unplayable for me. I just want to have achievements as a measure of progress after spending so many hours on it!

I guess I’ll look for a mod that adds percentages back in to immortal mode. Having my first GC be grade 7 because I didn’t even realize that it was the Gold Core breakthrough is not fun!