Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The easiest element to set up a great cultivation chamber for is absolutely Metal, given it can be fed via earth qi.

The most basic source of earth qi is Stone Essences and you will get dozens of them from mining out your map.

Next is Jadite, this is fairly rare to get from mining but there are a handful of exploration locations that contain stacks of a hundred or more of it.

But, uniquely for Earth? There is Dragon Feces. Once you find the Wyvern Pool location on the map send two cultivators who are each carrying a piece of feces and stand them before the stele not far from the map entrance point. Have each of them eat the feces then interact with the stele and they will be teleported to an otherwise inaccessible location. There you will find eight dragon feces and two related treasures, how you are supposed to work this out without being spoiled? I have no idea, but each has 90 qi gathering and so this allows you to set up an excellent metal cultivation chamber. If a fragrant one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Regular is fine, eating dragon feces would be a huge waste and a hell of a lot harder to find. This is something you can do as soon as you find the location which is in... I forget the name, the sect immediately to the north east of your starting location.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Heart attacks sounds like bad feng shui, make sure your bedrooms are made out of stone with iron beds and each only have a single (south facing) door. You might still get heart attacks if there is a foeh wind though?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

It's a bit annoying but not that much. You get all your bonuses at the start of any new 'level' of breakthrough, and then you have a small mid-breakthrough where you loose them and drop back to the previous stats. It's easy to plan around if you need your goku to do things. Iirc, you don't lose that much max Qi for Golden Core breakthrough, at least I didn't notice it being much of an issue. But after GC that you get a big hit with the mid-breakthrough dropping you back to 5k range.

It is actually incredibly strong if you exploit this because whilst maximum qi drops after that breakthrough? Current qi does NOT

So you want to fully prepare your cultivator for their golden core breakthrough whilst they are at their peak then after they break through? Do not let them do anything that spends qi, just have them cultivate then form their golden core. They can do so with thousands of qi over their maximum if you do it right and that gives a solid boost to golden core grade.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I tried turning all of the difficulty options up to maximum then streamed a game on Twitch last night and... Wow, turning all of the difficulty options up to maximum is brutal. Everyone trends toward being unhappy, work takes a lot longer. Just building a sect and getting the essential rooms in place was a slog and I failed to get much in the way of crops planted in time for a first year harvest.

Lots of commentary from people watching though as I demonstrated stuff like 'Yes, you absolutely want to get Earth Flux, here is how to basically mass produce it' (Fire law cultivator with 6.5 luck and a travel speed boosting talisman on repeat).

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Also make a bunch of bows and arm everybody with a bow, that can save you a lot of 'oooh poo poo' moments early on by allowing your outer sect members to shoot down weak attackers with minimal risk. You suffer significantly lower casualties if one person runs from the bear whilst six shoot the bear to death.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

From what I remember, spectral refinining an artifact does not increase its stats. It's not easy to craft t12 artifacts even with a maxed out artifact law Primordial - it might be flat out impossible without at least a few thousand Qi in the item.

You spectrally refine the weapon prior to making it into an artifact to raise its tier. So you take for example a tier 6 ice crystal lance made by a good crafter, refine it to tier 11, then reliably turn that into a tier 11 artifact.

Edit: You can also do this with talismans, you need to refine them to grade 12 before turning them into a talisman. Refining the talisman afterwards does not help but grade 12 paper makes super powered talismans. +140% cultivation speed and similar bullshit.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 1, 2020

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Somebody on the Discord did manage to make a spirit tree explode earlier, which is a new one and nobody seemed to have any clue how they could manage it. It took out most of the room they were growing in and maimed somebody with the damage source showing as 'Fire Tree Apocalypse'.

So I guess you can kill yourself with exploding trees? But it is rare enough that nobody is sure how or why.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Can someone explain the refined qi mechanic to me? I noticed when I brought a guy up to golden core his inner cauldron switched but I've got a guy sitting at his core shaping limit and I think I'm supposed to make him eat food and practice to build his cauldron up? Does this increase his max qi significantly? It seems awfully slow considering I'm at 9/2160.

It boosts your maximum qi, which is good especially if you do it pre golden core so that your qi is multiplied upon breakthrough. After golden core? It is mostly irrelevant but does still accumulate. Building your cauldron takes significant time though and this is impacted by both your cultivation speed and the availability of Stamina. You can accelerate the rate with things like good cultivation rooms, talismans, bear demon fur and arts that raise cultivation speed.

Late game you can have somebody cultivate surrounded by four evil spirit trees and everything goes MUCH faster but it is entirely practical to set somebody up so that they fill the first thousand points of their cauldron in a single season or so.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

To put things into perspective I experimentally triggered the Flood Dragon early in the game I am currently streaming, not something I am carrying on with but I wanted to show it to people. Admittedly this is with all of the difficulty sliders turned up to maximum and so it was stronger than default. But a Flood Dragon who had not been buffed by fulfilling any demands? Over 7.2 million qi

I killed it but it wrecked half the sect before collapsing onto and crushing a building, it also killed one primordial soul elder, a core formation scrub and two golden core equivalent body cultivators along with some hapless outer sect disciples. I did not use any formations but did have five primordial soul cultivators fighting it and four of them had grade one golden cores. Three were 7 slaughtering swords cultivators with between thirty and eighty thousand artifact power and at minimum 450,000 qi each. This was only just, barely enough with everyone running on empty by the end.

Do not gently caress with the dragon until you have a formation of powerful primordial soul cultivators ready.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

To comment on some of the above, qi regen has absolutely no impact on golden core formation. The UI does not indicate it anywhere at all but you do not regenerate your qi during golden core formation.

What does impact core formation is cultivation speed and so eating spirit stones and spirit crystals does boost your golden core grade, if you have 8K or more qi then eat a spirit crystal a few days before the core formation so that you have time to heal the resulting damage.

Then obviously the best breakthrough room and weather you can find, optimal season, if you can find or make talismans that boost cultivation speed though? Equip those. Also Demon Bear Fur items give a good cultivation speed boost and you can specter refine them for added power.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

zedprime posted:

Does it not take it algebraically out of qi consumption? I'm just going to feed people regen pills out of habit (and they're basically free from events) and I'm not about to run my own study on it but I swear when I was save scumming my first couple cores, a qi regen was enough for a noticeable difference in score and the UI prediction itself went from 3 to 2 in one case after taking the pill with no other environmental differences.

To clarify on this, boosting qi regen does definitely have zero effect on core breakthrough. This was tested by people modding in super qi regen pills that should have given them sufficient regen to get grade several million cores and them getting the exact same result as otherwise. The confusion tends to come in because people feed their cultivators things like spirit crystals and spirit stones prior to breakthrough and those absolutely DO help. But they are helping by boosting cultivation speed not through their qi regen assistance.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Note that killing the Flood Dragon, the easiest and first 'boss' fight, probably requires at minimum four or five primordial soul cultivators each with at least half a million qi. Achieving it with that few without it killing some of them is... Dubious unless they are very strong. You really want at least ten or so in a formation and formations are their own thing requiring the people with the right elemental affinity as well as a focal point badass who needs to be both powerful offensively and have as high a possible formations skill.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

allegedly the fox can pee on the ground to do it, too

The fox can create spirit soul but it takes FOREVER to grow big and buff enough to do so, you need max out Intelligence.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Wallet posted:

Is it worth studying max qi practices that are counteractive and eating the inspiration penalty?

Personally I advise learning every single possible skill that increases maximum qi prior to forming your golden core. The only exception is the ability from Heaven Stealing Law that partially melts your heart.

Basically anything that increases your maximum qi prior to your golden core is going to be multiplied afterwards and the higher grade your core? The bigger the multiplier. I actually managed to push a non reincarnator cultivator to a grade 1 core with a grade of over two hundred thousand as my first core in a new game, without using any of the advanced laws and actually forgetting one or two of the possible boosting effects. The key was just learning every possible max qi boosting power and also anything that boosted law affinity or qi sense (so constitution and intelligence) as far as possible.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

DrManiac posted:

What's the best way to farm wicked flux? I can get earth flux all day long but sending my sect leader with super high stats adventuring to the exhausted isle has never netted me a wicked flux.

It should be the same way. Get somebody with good luck and ideally a fire element cultivation law to the poison dragon lake. Earth cultivators can work instead but I think the odds are roughly halved.

A five luck fire cultivator will get wicked flux about half the time.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Merchants are also creepily into buying dicks and will tell you how much they need them before handing over hundreds of spirit stones.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So as a reminder, you do not actually need Shendao cultivators to deal with obsessions on your other cultivators. They are the only way to deal with them once they 'complete' but before an obsession hits 100%?

You can let it tick down by putting your cultivator on 'Mind' mode for a day or two, if they spend time on leisure activities then it reduces the obsession counter even for hedonism. Yes, somehow lounging around playing musical instruments and admiring birds reduces your accumulation of hedonism. I am not 100% sure what influences the rate at which it is reduced but am fairly sure it is based on the quality of recreation so I highly recommend making a very pretty room full of relaxation activities. I typically make this also my dining room so that people on time out hang out as much as possible thus building social skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have been messing around with it and the number one tip I can give is to start with 20 alchemy. Almost anything else you can raise once you join a sect but Alchemy? gently caress that, also if you do not have 20 Alchemy? You cannot use a furnace and so welcome to not being able to break through above basic quality even if you have found all of the insane treasures or whatever for a maximum quality foundation. Oops.