Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hi, I haven't done an ICSA for over a decade and... ...oh no my bones have turned to dust oh well I'll try to chili anyway!

Instant Pot Short Rib Chili

gently caress, now I gotta remember what I put in there, I'm not a measurer, I'm a wingerer.

• 3 lb beef short ribs
  • 5 T tomato paste
  • 1 bulb garlic
  • 2 red onions
  • 2 green bells
  • 2 chipotle peppers
  • 2 - 3 ghost peppers
  • 1/8 t of liquid smoke
  • 4 T chili powder (make it yourself, plz)
  • 1 T cumin
  • 2 T adobo sauce (from the chipotle pepper earlier)
  • 1 T black strap molasses
  • 2 oz mezcal
  • 24 oz beer
  • 1/2 c maseca or instant masa of your choice
  • salt and pepper

The tequila I used is the Casamigos Reposado, which was WAYYY too sweet for this application. Too much caramel and cotton candy, so for the recipe, I recommend an inexpensive mezcal. Banhez makes this dangerously affordable bottle that would have been much better than the Clooney Sauce. Anyway

Chop! Those! Veggies! (add some salt and pepper and toss it)

Cut the ribs into chunks, TRIM EXCESS FAT, set your instant pot to "saute" on the "high" setting, slap some real good butter in there, salt the sides, and start browning em off. This step absolutely would have been better accomplished in a cast iron pan, but I was feeling lazy enough to try and do this whole thing in one pot.

|

|

Remove the meats and cover em in a bowl with some aluminum foil. Set the pot's saute to "medium" and deglaze the pot using the booze, then chuck in your veggies. Saute until the onions start browning a little bit, then chuck in your tomato paste, molasses, liquid smoke, and finely-chopped and de-seeded ghosties, stir em up and simmer for a little bit longer, maybe a minute, then dump in your beer and whisk it all together then add the meat back to the pot, making sure the meat isn't touching the bottom. Lid it up, set it for 40 minutes high pressure, and there ya go.

|
|

Let it naturally depressurize (~25 to 30 minute) and take the lid off. Fish out the bones (which should slide out nicely), set the saute to "low" and grab your potato masher! 1/4 c at a time, introduce your maseca and use your masher to mix the whole thing together, adding the next 1/4 c once the first scoop has fully incorporated. Keep mashing until you've achieved your desired consistency.

|
|

Serve with sour cream and cliantro.

This stuff is VERY rich but the sweet heat of the ghosts really cuts through and balances everything out, but I've been told I have a heat addiction, so ymmv.

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nice Chili fellow pressure cookin potato mashing chili goon!. You seem to have forgotten the beans though?

I am always split on using onion or not in my chili, looks good here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Short ribs always makes for a really nice chili :yum:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Looks real good! Love the idea of molasses and tequila in a chilli, will have to try that sometime!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've never made short rib chili but this sure makes me want to. I've been on a braised short ribs kick lately. I might have to finally break down and spring for a pressure cooker/instant pot. I almost always do my braised dishes low and slow on the weekends, but being able to turnout a chili that looks that good in that amount of time is pretty fantastic.