Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Everyone posted:

If some other episode pushes some buttons for other posters, you get to mock them now. So it's all good?

I don't usually judge people for engaging with whatever media they consume or like, not unless they turn out to be some corporate bootlicker because I think brand loyalty is stupid. Plus, I don't feel like anyone is mocking me tbh, at least not in a mean spirited way lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

wow teagone so a hungry baby getting a meal isn’t ok but baby yoda choking a woman was funny to you? big yikes

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

He ate a space frog last season. And it was alive.

the Yoda species are frogs' natural predators.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

The issue is that instead of "the Child putting something random in his mouth", we got "the Child putting something in his mouth that we were explicitly told and shown was incredibly important and sensitive, on a personal level". If the eggs were just some random batch of eggs, sure, it'd be darkly comedic. But we had multiple scenes over the course of the episode establishing that these eggs are Frog Mom's LAST ones. That they're incredibly precious. The episode completely mismatches the stakes from scene to scene.

The stakes didn’t change. The eggs were always important. That’s why baby yoda casually munching on them is so funny. He’s a baby! He doesn’t know the stakes. He just wants to eat.

Some people don’t like dark comedy and that’s ok.

But just because it didn’t land for you doesn’t mean it didn’t land or was bad writing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mandrel posted:

wow teagone so a hungry baby getting a meal isn’t ok but baby yoda choking a woman was funny to you? big yikes

She’s a stupid rear end in a top hat irl.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Man, I do not get this at all. It's a frog, they have a bajillion babies cause it's guaranteed that not all of em make it. That's just how they work. If Baby Yoda ate all the eggs, that's one thing. But there's a ton left. Cause frog reproduction plans for that. Collectively yes they're precious. But individually they are not, cause its a jug full of spares.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

The stakes didn’t change. The eggs were always important. That’s why baby yoda casually munching on them is so funny. He’s a baby! He doesn’t know the stakes. He just wants to eat.

Some people don’t like dark comedy and that’s ok.

But just because it didn’t land for you doesn’t mean it didn’t land or was bad writing.

nobody in the story recognizes that the child is eating something precious and important. Din scolds him like he's being moderately mischievous. Frog mom herself doesn't get to react. The audience POV gets to linger on the moment as if waiting for the laugh track to kick in. At no point is it ever actually treated in-story as "dark", just lulz happy wacky kid hijinks. Star Wars has been doing this a lot lately, setting up important emotional stakes and then not actually committing to them. See also: the two fake-out character deaths in TRoS

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Its Rinaldo posted:

So was Cobb Vanth :colbert:

Fine, someone eat his eggs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mandrel posted:

Chuds aren't cool tbh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

nobody in the story recognizes that the child is eating something precious and important. Din scolds him like he's being moderately mischievous. Frog mom herself doesn't get to react. The audience POV gets to linger on the moment as if waiting for the laugh track to kick in. At no point is it ever actually treated in-story as "dark", just lulz happy wacky kid hijinks. Star Wars has been doing this a lot lately, setting up important emotional stakes and then not actually committing to them. See also: the two fake-out character deaths in TRoS

But YOU the view knows. People forget that YOU are also a major part of storytelling. It's not a documentary. It never happened. It's made for YOU to watch and YOU to feel.

The Rise of Skywalker didnt respect you, hence why it just did some hack bullshit for 2 hours and no one gave a poo poo because everyone was over it thanks to Disney being just the worst.

Tonally the eating eggs works for me. It's dark and funny in all the right star wars ways. The universe is uncaring and the downtrodden and weak get horribly destroyed. It happens in every movie. It's a part of the franchise tbh. If you don't like it, thats cool. But don't mean it don't work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Baby Yoda has been cancelled for genocide ~ Vanity Fair

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idiotic

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I am glad a new episode comes out in 3 minutes because the last few pages have been forums cancer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Baby Yoda eats an entire planet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo Baby Yoda just ate Asoka!! Rip

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That Quarren landing port guy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LMFAO I had to pause it because holy poo poo Baby Yoda literally got ate. Lmfao. It was revenge!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow someone called it with the Mando ways.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bo-Katan! :neckbeard:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched just enough clone wars to know who that is lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The action in this episode ruled. Another dope Bryce Dallas Howard episode.

She’s clearly the superior Star Wars director of the fam

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Holy gently caress, this episode.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That was a solid as gently caress episode and it looks like it's setting up a lot of the plot for the season.

Bo-Katan and Death Watch members take a ship and its weapons to arm themselves for retaking Mandalore, Bo-Katan is looking for the Darksaber and knows Gideon has it, Bo-Katan name-drops Ahsoka Tano and tells Mando where to find her. And the poor ship gets more and more hosed up, cludged back together, and straight up has a piece fall off as it goes to hyperspace at the end and I laughed my rear end off at the piece just floating and rotating in space. Poor ship. Also Mando being called out as part of a super-orthadox sect that split off and is obsessed with "bringing back the ancient ways" while the Death Watch guys just pop off their helmets like it ain't no thang.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That episode ruled and gave those clamoring for plot progression all they can handle plus some kicking rad gun fights

Lol Orthodox vs Reform Mandalorians

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thread title pays off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*in Jim Ross voice*

Business is about to pick up, folks!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

The writing is consistent. Baby yoda has been swallowing critters since episode 2. He loves to eat.

Now he just ate something you have a tiny bit more investment in. That’s not bad writing. It’s supposed to ride the line between horrifying and hilarious. Who you are depends on which side of that line it falls or if if it rides the line perfectly.

That’s the beauty of dark humor.

More specifically he's been devouring frogs (on two separate occasions). Frog Lady should be happy she got out of there alive, let alone with her eggs.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That episode was pure Clone Wars/Rebels fan service and I am here for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I can't be more happier than I am right now as a Rebels/Clone Wars fan. I love this poo poo so much.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I never got into Clone Wars so I really don't know who Bo-Katan is (though I'll google her shortly).

My big takeaway was "Wait, that sounds like Katee Sackoff." Then. "gently caress yeah! Katee Sackoff!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was all set to complain when I saw that 35 minute runtime, but that episode absolutely ruled. Please get BDH to do all the mid-season action episodes from now on.

- I can't believe that absolute madman Favreau is really going to just toss in every Clone Wars Mando story thread, but I am all for it.
- This is the most excited I've ever been to see Bo Katan. There's a unique thrill to seeing these characters that have never before appeared in live-action form.
- Gozanti looks weird and maybe a bit busy in live-action.
- Loved the way the Quarren face tendrils moved. I'm so glad they're doing the extra cg on alien heads this season so we don't get a repeat of the cosplay-quality Lekku from last season.
- The seaport looked great, the concept of Mon Cal/Quarren longshoremen and fishermen sounds ridiculous on paper but the result was wonderful.
- I like the cobbled scrapyard look of the Razor Crest :shrug:. The polished aluminum look was too clean for a bounty hunter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Live-action Bo-Katan was done so well. Katee Sackhoff looked great and kicked so much rear end. poo poo was righteous. I'm so happy. AHHHHHH I can't wait to see Ahsoka. :supaburn:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Buncha grumpy fisherman aliens in their alien port was a good location I dug it as a dude from Seattle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, the whole vibe/aesthetic of this episode was really, really good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not counting Rex or any other potential surviving clones, are Sabine and Fenn Rau the only major living TCW/Rebels Mandos we haven't seen yet?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not counting Rex or any other potential surviving clones, are Sabine and Fenn Rau the only major living TCW/Rebels Mandos we haven't seen yet?

Possibly. Live action Tiya Sircar as Sabine Wren would kick major rear end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Once I saw Bo-Katan's helmet on the fishing ship, that poo poo was eurphoric lmao. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go nuclear and meltdown the moment Ahsoka comes into frame. No way that happens next episode though, something is gonna come up. I'm guessing they'll save that reveal until the 7th episode. Would be happy to be proven wrong though :haw:

Everyone posted:

Live action Tiya Sircar as Sabine Wren would kick major rear end.

100%

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You don't need to spoiler tag things after the episode airs, read the threat at your own risk.

Keep spoiler tags for related stuff, like bo-katan backstory for those who have not seen clone wars/rebels.

Or if mentioning things not shown in the episode and you're using spoiler tags, say so outside of tags so people don't get extra info.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

teagone posted:

Once I saw Bo-Katan's helmet on the fishing ship, that poo poo was eurphoric lmao. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go nuclear and meltdown the moment Ahsoka comes into frame. No way that happens next episode though, something is gonna come up. I'm guessing they'll save that reveal until the 7th episode. Would be happy to be proven wrong though :haw:

100%

Episode 4 Rumors:
Carl Weathers directed next week's ep and it features the return of Cara and Greef, so my guess is we won't see Ahsoka until later in the season. Either Mando heads back to Navarro for repairs or something comes up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm really glad they kept Katee Sackhoff for live action Bo.
Starbuck should be in more things.