Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

I loved Tron Legacy when it came out but man that de-aging technology doesn't hold up well over the years. Looks even worse than Rogue One.

The big mistake there was putting it on real-world Jeff Bridges. If they'd just used it on CLU, they could have leaned into the uncanny digital doppelganger angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really need a GIF of BaeYo digging on the breeze like a puppy hanging its head out the window of a car for the first time.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Just rewatched it and I loled at the gaffi stick being used as a veterinary dental pick.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

One thing I was disappointed by was the lack of a new score. I'm pretty sure most if not all of it was reused from season 1. The only bit I'm not sure about is the music while Din is riding the speeder bike to Mos Pelgo for the first time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sammus posted:

I love Tremors, particularly Tremors 2, so that was fuckin great.

That was more of a Tremors 5 graboid

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really need a GIF of BaeYo digging on the breeze like a puppy hanging its head out the window of a car for the first time.

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1322286176087298051?s=20

Hazo posted:

One thing I was disappointed by was the lack of a new score. I'm pretty sure most if not all of it was reused from season 1. The only bit I'm not sure about is the music while Din is riding the speeder bike to Mos Pelgo for the first time.

I noticed a bit of new score (the arena stuff in the beginning, plus the Krayt fight) but yeah the amount of reused music probably explains why we don't appear to be getting weekly soundtrack drops like last season

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That was such a cute scene.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

chitoryu12 posted:

graffiti-covered slums

My first thought when seeing the graffiti was that we were going to meet Sabine Wren, though she's generally a better artist than that.

Has anyone bothered to translate the tags and writings yet?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Another small detail: The krayt dragon in the little diorama they made was literally just an upside-down boa constrictor skull

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IT BURNS posted:

The only two things that I didn't dig were Mando suddenly being fluent in Tusken

The first season already established that he is. He's a bounty hunter who's presumably spent years flying around the galaxy picking up or shooting people in all the usual places they try to hide. There's nothing unusual about him being able to communicate with them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Christopher Nolan famously did it for The Dark Knight for the opening bank robbery scene, and a few other scenes if I remember correctly. Pretty sure he did it in Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, too.

Grand Budapest Hotel changes aspect ratio all over the place in fun ways, changing with the decade to reflect how things were filmed at that time, but I'll never recommend people watch that movie, because the aspect ratio changes are the only things I liked about it. But I do mean it does it well, focusing on the vertical more for less wide ratios. Still though, ugh that movie.

Every action scene in DKR opens up, yup.

Edit: ugh missed like two pages

Darko fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 31, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You want to see someone have fun with aspect ratios go watch Transformers: The Last Knight. Bay did not give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about ratio so you end up with scenes where you get 3 separate aspect ratios just taking turns one after another.

I’m not exaggerating here either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImVeqvS7hw

You can notice the 3 ratios they alternate throughout right at the start.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 31, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Only gripe I have about the episode is the gamorrean dudes fighting each other were just fat dudes wearing masks were the ones in jedi wore actual suits(or at least fake arms) that made them look more proportionate. The ones in mando look goofy with their oversized heads.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

banned from Starbucks posted:

Only gripe I have about the episode is the gamorrean dudes fighting each other were just fat dudes wearing masks were the ones in jedi wore actual suits(or at least fake arms) that made them look more proportionate. The ones in mando look goofy with their oversized heads.

Those were fat lazy guards in Jabba's Hedonism Palace whereas these were prize fighters.

Easy enough to handwave away.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

I will feel so cheated if Cobb's inevitable return doesn't also involve a syndicate of Walton Goggins, Jere Burns, and Ian McShane.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

banned from Starbucks posted:

The only thing that bothered me was that their only move seemed to be to slam vibroaxes against each other.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Space Marshall Raylan Givens was a ton of fun, and I loved that episode very much simply because of that.

The W. Earl Brown Twitter thread about being cast in the show is extremely :3:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

hexate posted:

I will feel so cheated if Cobb's inevitable return doesn't also involve a syndicate of Walton Goggins, Jere Burns, and Ian McShane.

Great, now I wish Paula Malcomson was the Tatooine gas station lady.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CubanMissile posted:

The only thing that bothered me was that their only move seemed to be to slam vibroaxes against each other.

The whole thing is a work and not a bloodsport, until John Cyclamzamo shot one of them in a fit of pique.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hexate posted:

Don’t you dare put the thought of Ian McShane in Star Wars into my brain. Don’t you do that. Don’t give me hope.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

The first season already established that he is. He's a bounty hunter who's presumably spent years flying around the galaxy picking up or shooting people in all the usual places they try to hide. There's nothing unusual about him being able to communicate with them.

They seem to convey a bit of kinship and respect between Mando and the Tuskens. They are a warrior culture who scrape and claw their own survival from harsh conditions and the misconceptions of outsiders. The fact that he respects them even though admitting they are raiders while he despises Jawas because they are opportunistic scavengers says plenty about Din and Mandolorians.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Owlbear Camus posted:

The whole thing is a work and not a bloodsport, until John Cyclamzamo shot one of them in a fit of pique.

Ah, I didn’t catch that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

Ah, I didn’t catch that.

Eh, I'm just goofin'.

New Auralnauts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKppwACQ-qk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hexate posted:

“Why Mandalorian! What a surprise. Why donchu just go ahead and pull up a chair, you know we're about oto have some of that good friiiied womp rat. I bleeve you already know my associate Wynn Duffy, which is an excellent star wars name if i don’t mind sayin”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CubanMissile posted:

Great, now I wish Paula Malcomson was the Tatooine gas station lady.

Kaitlyn Dever as his adopted daughter ex-con new deputy, Loretta.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Olyphant's character clearly a movie fan, as his speeder bike was a modified engine from Anakin's podracer

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It didn't directly advance the story in any way, nor appreciably challenge or change the character of the Mandalorian. While filler is not necessarily the best term for it, the main body of this episode is wholly standalone with no direct character hook other than the Boba Fett tease.

It's good, I liked it, but I also think it's the worst that the show has been so far, and felt like a lesser version of episode 5.

God who gives a poo poo. Shows are better when given room to breathe and no always advance the A Plot. Side characters are fun. Side stories are fun.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

Kaitlyn Dever as his adopted daughter ex-con new deputy, Loretta.

Need to find a way to work Jacob Pitts or Erica Tazel in there.

And Damon Harriman as the town gently caress up naturally.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

funkymonks posted:

God who gives a poo poo. Shows are better when given room to breathe and no always advance the A Plot. Side characters are fun. Side stories are fun.

I straight up said that I liked it though? I'm just saying I get where people are coming from, since this is the start of a hotly anticipated new season in a series with a short run of episodes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

But not the CHUD who play Art.

gently caress can we also get John Barry in as spaceraylans dad?

gently caress it, no, go for gold and get me Margo Goddamn Martindale. Have her and McShane as like some outlaw crime boss married couple.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd be down for all the villains from Deadwood and Justified coming eventually. That'd mean we'd get Sam Elliott and Neal McDonough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sam Ellliot helps Mando stop a rampaging T-Rex Rancor...

:allears:

Edit: lol confused him with Sam Neil.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cross-Section posted:

I noticed a bit of new score (the arena stuff in the beginning, plus the Krayt fight) but yeah the amount of reused music probably explains why we don't appear to be getting weekly soundtrack drops like last season

Arena fight was "Nurse and Protect" from Chapter 8. It's one of the best pieces in the whole score.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be down for all the villains from Deadwood and Justified coming eventually. That'd mean we'd get Sam Elliott and Neal McDonough.

George Hearst is more evil and scarier than any Star Wars villain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

howe_sam posted:

And Damon Harriman as the town gently caress up naturally.

He shows up as Dewey Crowe. Not a character like Dewey Crowe, but as Dewey Crowe. Somehow Dewey done hosed up big time and ends up in the Star Wars Universe. First thing he does is get punched by Timothy Olyphant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CubanMissile posted:

George Hearst is more evil and scarier than any Star Wars villain.

At first I confused this with George Hearn and now I want a classic Sweeney Todd actor to get a role here where they can go ham.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Raygun Givens.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Does Din have full armor or is he missing a piece or two?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mando is hired to protect a cantina, then calls his old friend Sam Elliott to help him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, but in the first season he communicated in hand symbols (which they reciprocated), which to me signified that their language isn't speakable by one outside of their species since it's mostly screams/monster sounds. If he had communicated with them in their language in season 1, it would be less out of place, IMO.