Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
It's been 10 years since I read through the NJO books, but I think it was the book after Anakin Solo's death ...uh, maybe Dark Journey(?), that was such an absolute mess.

Like, it just made no sense and I couldn't follow it at all. Maybe I was burning out by that point, but I don't recall having any trouble with the rest of the books after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wasn't NJO like 20 books, in which the humans and Jedi get constantly trashed by the Yuuhzan Vong for 17-18 of them? I'd say that was kinda pushing it a little.

Ehhhh I think a 19-book series wasn’t much of an ask when you already had a decade of dozens of interconnected stories that people had followed fairly religiously. And the actual content and premise was genuinely fresh for Star Wars, it just really suffered in its execution toward the end. IMO all the series that came afterward (Dark Nest, LOTF, Fate of the Jedi) were far worse than the NJO.

I’d probably hate re-reading it now as an adult, but it was great when I was a teen.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did like the Death Star novel that came out around 2008.

In part, because it gave an actual explanation of why the guy kept saying "standby" after the Death Star had the shot on Yavin IV.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sash! posted:

In part, because it gave an actual explanation of why the guy kept saying "standby" after the Death Star had the shot on Yavin IV.

This sounds terrible sorry, the absolute nadir of overexplaining poo poo that doesn't need explaining

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 24, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sash! posted:

Yeah, that one (Catalyst iirc) is solid. There’s good stuff in the new EU, it just doesn’t have the same weight and importance that it felt like the old EU had because the new EU is no longer the main source for the continuing adventures of Luke & Co.

Still, I think these are worth people’s time if you’re interested:

Novels
Catalyst
Bloodline
Tarkin
Alphabet Squadron series
Dooku: Jedi Lost
High Republic: Light of the Jedi

Comics
Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith (2017-2018, 25 issues)
Doctor Aphra (2016-2019, 40 issues)
Lando (2015, 5 issues)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

This sounds terrible sorry, the absolute nadir of overexplaining poo poo that doesn't need explaining

The guy who actually pushes the button is this super gung ho in it For the Cause guy. He is thrilled about being selected to gunnery officer controlling the biggest gun around. During tests, he is like "this is so awesome." He completely disintegrates after destroying Alderaan, and the guilt crushes him. So the next time he has to fire on a target, he goes through the firing process and just stops, silently begging the Rebel fighters get their shot off before someone realizes what he's doing.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Captain Splendid posted:

The opening book was great.

The second was the first Traviss book I read and it was ok,.

Then I read the third and realised "Oh no, Denning's going to be the one to conclude this."

The problem with Traviss was that she was writing Star Wars books and actively hated the Jedi or any force users. It's why she had them constantly talked down too or belittled: Luke not knowing the difference between Jedi and Sith, Jacen being knee capped by heroic Mandos who let him live while they could have finished him off but decided to let the sister do it which occurred a book or two later. For the prequel stuff having everyone be happy that the Jedi got what they deserved and even Jedi's agreeing they should die for all they did, Ashoka outright killing etc. When people started to call her out she pretty much went nuclear and started to call the fans Talifans. (you know Taliban and fans mixed together) and would get mods to remove the post and ban people on forums. She had been liked at first for the mando books but the more she went on the more people turned against her for her attitude and her writing being one dimensional. Didn't help that she pretty much made a statement when not insulting fans that she was able to write anyone no matter how repugnant or evil they were aka the Jedi/Force Users as a whole which was like pouring gasoline on a fire.

I was so happy when she essentially got kicked off Star War books, she tried to say she had decided to leave but make no doubt about it, she was removed and her planned novels/guides cancelled.

Then she went onto Gears of War and Halo.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 24, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sash! posted:

The guy who actually pushes the button is this super gung ho in it For the Cause guy. He is thrilled about being selected to gunnery officer controlling the biggest gun around. During tests, he is like "this is so awesome." He completely disintegrates after destroying Alderaan, and the guilt crushes him. So the next time he has to fire on a target, he goes through the firing process and just stops, silently begging the Rebel fighters get their shot off before someone realizes what he's doing.
That is actually pretty cool. You're right.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Why didn't somebody tell me there was quasi flash videos called Forces of Destiny?

mostly kinda lame, but seeing Hera make Han say the Ghost was better then the Falcon made me chuckle. :D

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Still, I think these are worth people’s time if you’re interested:

Novels
High Republic: Light of the Jedi

Really? I found Light of the Jedi to be a boring mess with way too many utterly personality-less characters that were impossible to actually care about. That being the said the actual concept/premise is neat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

shades of eternity posted:

Why didn't somebody tell me there was quasi flash videos called Forces of Destiny?

mostly kinda lame, but seeing Hera make Han say the Ghost was better then the Falcon made me chuckle. :D

There are also some cute porg episodes.

The series was a toy / doll tie-in. Jenny Nicholson did a video on why it didn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3PKipRZKv0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Radio! posted:

Really? I found Light of the Jedi to be a boring mess with way too many utterly personality-less characters that were impossible to actually care about. That being the said the actual concept/premise is neat.

Yeah, that rec is more for the potential the series has as it goes on. I have faith in Soule though, his comics have easily been the highlight of the new EU and he’s great at finding the “voice” of existing characters. That’s something that’s really lacking in the other OT Marvel comics.

https://twitter.com/craigengler/status/1364329956629749761?s=21

Really curious what the hell this would have been. SyFy changed names in 2009, when was Lucas shopping Underworld around? Later in that thread he mentions the John Edward psychic bullshit shows were on around the same time, which would place this pitch around the 2001-2004 era.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sash! posted:

Feels like he would have completely disintegrated in a different way after destroying Alderaan, how tf did he survive to do the same job on a different Death Star?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Doctor Nutt posted:

Feels like he would have completely disintegrated in a different way after destroying Alderaan, how tf did he survive to do the same job on a different Death Star?

Do you remember how the film goes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TBF with the tech back then a Star Wars show would've been more expensive or much worse looking. :v:

It also would've been long season format syndicated stuff and probably involved all the worst of the stuff you see in the EU to pad content.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/craigengler/status/1364329956629749761?s=21

Really curious what the hell this would have been. SyFy changed names in 2009, when was Lucas shopping Underworld around? Later in that thread he mentions the John Edward psychic bullshit shows were on around the same time, which would place this pitch around the 2001-2004 era.

SyFy really is/was the USS Enterprise of Incredibly loving Stupid Decisions, wasn't it?

In hindsight, I mean. Immediately post-Revenge of the Sith, passing on a Star Wars TV show was like dodging a Banzai Bill sized bullet because the brand was basically dead at that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It would have been an attempt to do The Clone Wars.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Comics
Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith (2017-2018, 25 issues)
Doctor Aphra (2016-2019, 40 issues)
Lando (2015, 5 issues)

I'd add Kieron Gillen's run on the main Star Wars series to that (even while the art on it sucks) - it surprised me with having great antagonists that are not just Rommel-esque competent imperials - the remaining members of Saw's crew and the queen that sides with the Empire seeking protection. The theatre-loving shapeshifter was also a great pet character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Alchenar posted:

It would have been an attempt to do The Clone Wars.

That’s what I assumed at first, but the tweet specifies that it was live-action.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s what I assumed at first, but the tweet specifies that it was live-action.

Yeah, my understanding is that Lucas had his idea for a live-action show that he was bandying about as the next project after the prequels were done, one of which was the Clone Wars and the other was a really early draft of Rebels. Basically only after everyone said 'this is unfilmable' and turn down did the project move in the direction of animation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that Lucas had his idea for a live-action show that he was bandying about as the next project after the prequels were done, one of which was the Clone Wars and the other was a really early draft of Rebels. Basically only after everyone said 'this is unfilmable' and turn down did the project move in the direction of animation.

Back then it WAS unfilmable, especially with the kind of budgets SyFy would be willing to pay for.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m still amazed that live action Star Wars TV is filmable today. Especially with Xwings, dragons, giant spiders, lightsabers, and a freaking baby Yoda. If you told me five years ago this was going to happen, I’d have laughed.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

nine-gear crow posted:

SyFy really is/was the USS Enterprise of Incredibly loving Stupid Decisions, wasn't it?

I haven't put eyes on anything SyFy has done since they backed out on the contract for the final season of Farscape. Some sins just can't be forgiven.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's possible it was early plans for Lucas' planned show, Underworld, which was a show that Lucas apparently started looking in to the development of around 2003/2004. He wanted to make a live action TV show set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope that would have a darker tone for a more adult audience and would focus on episodic stories, without one set protagonist (like his The Clone Wars cartoon was, I suppose) and hoped to give it almost movie level production values and focus on character drama that would make it comparable to shows like The Wire, The Sopranos etc.

He did hire writers rooms for it though, and filmed about 50 hours of material with hopes for anywhere between 100 and 400 episodes; he couldn't figure out a way to make the production process financially viable on a budget that was workable for television; even with his predilection to throw some of his own money at production costs (as apparently he did with his The Clone Wars cartoon). That said, when talking to his writers he reportedly told them to just go for broke when writing up the episodes and to ignore budgetary constraints entirely and that they'd just figure it out later. They didn't though, obviously, and the project was apparently shelved while they looked in to ways to make things work around about 2009/2010, while some of the plot threads found their way into cancelled 1313 game, The Mandalorian and other projects over the last decade.

You can actually see a bit of filmed footage for it on YouTube, along with some behind the scenes footage about making it and there's interviews online with some of the producers talking about their hopes for the show etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpTOwXVu8g

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas would have loved the Volume I think. It probably would have made that show financially viable

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Volume is basically the logical extension of all his obsession with CG, yeah, so he definitely would have loved it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Ashoka outright killing etc.

Oh, Ahsoka has a really high body count in the cartoon. I can't do it right now but I'm sure somebody could find that clip of her decapitating four Mandolorians at once.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I believe this is the clip you're referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6_iR3CWzE&t=58s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

euphronius posted:

Lucas would have loved the Volume I think. It probably would have made that show financially viable

I’m pretty sure he was brought on set and shown how it works and yeah, he absolutely loved it. Might be in the season 1 documentary.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I got ya bruh...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

jng2058 posted:

Back then it WAS unfilmable, especially with the kind of budgets SyFy would be willing to pay for.

The dune miniseries from around that time that syfy made had hilariously awful CGI.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the current Disney+ shows are basically what Lucas wanted to do. Underworld was simply impossible at the scale Lucas wanted because he was trying to make a TV show with hundreds of episodes that would all look as good as an entire Star Wars film. Technological progression (the Volume is actually multiple separate technologies and programs all combined in an unexpected way) and the backing of Disney has finally made it viable to make TV shows that look like high budget films, even if the number of episodes Lucas wanted is still ridiculous.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Ahsoka has a really high body count in the cartoon. I can't do it right now but I'm sure somebody could find that clip of her decapitating four Mandolorians at once.

Yoda: "The Force is only for knowledge and defense, not attack."

Also Yoda: "Train this child soldier, you will. Keep me updated on her body count."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I got ya bruh...

There my (murder machine) girl at.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheCenturion posted:

Yoda: "The Force is only for knowledge and defense, not attack."

Also Yoda: "Train this child soldier, you will. Keep me updated on her body count."

Other way. Yoda started a galactic war that got his entire order destroyed and handed the Republic to an evil wizard dictator, and only then came to the conclusion that wars not make one great

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

skasion posted:

Other way. Yoda started a galactic war that got his entire order destroyed and handed the Republic to an evil wizard dictator, and only then came to the conclusion that wars not make one great

I’m pretty sure the teachings never changed, even if the Jedi lost the thread.

“We can protect you, we cannot fight a war for you.”

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

I’m pretty sure the teachings never changed, even if the Jedi lost the thread.

“We can protect you, we cannot fight a war for you.”

What about a STAR war?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I got ya bruh...

I got to do that to a squad of Trandoshans in my first game of the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG because of how minion rules work, it was amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Ahsoka has a really high body count in the cartoon.

She is ruthless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRP7r-0nJLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

droids dont count