Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
On a recent rewatch of the original trilogy my favorite retrospective on the prequels was how much Obi-Wan talked about Anakin being really capable, but nothing about his morality. And Luke just taking to heart that his father must have been a good man and a hero and all that while the Jedi who knew him just....didn't engage with that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I get motion sick with any amount VR so I wouldn't be able to partake even if I could afford it.

There's an annual May The 4th party in Detroit called Space Dive where they retrofit this bar to look like the canteena and costumes are mandatory. It's encouraged to dress like original scum and villainy/background characters to really fill up the venue for an immersive experience.
I wear a Rodian mask I painted purple and what I think of as off brand Mandalorian armor but everyone just calls me Greedo.

I'm obviously catching up on the last few pages here but couldn't an argument be made that the Jedi council themselves are "Gray" in the spectrum from good to evil? I mean they are obviously flawed so holding them as the shinning example of the light side of the force feels wrong. It really seems like the story is always telling us that the heroes who strike out on their own with good intentions are right and Light and the antagonists who give in to their insecurities and base emotions are Dark and the Jedi masters with their emotionless bureaucracy and huge blindspots seem to sit right in the middle of that.

The thing is that on the personal level there isn't a divide between "using the Force for good" and "using the Force for evil." There might be in a metaphysical results sense or a storytelling sense, but not in terms of what a person does. It's more that using the Force gives someone a great insight into and power over events, people, and the world around them in general. There is a divide between Force users who take great pains, even at cost to themselves, to not allow that power to turn them into destructive monsters; and Force users who don't sweat it and do what needs to be done. Not all in the first category have to subscribe to the highly specific rituals and political affiliations of the Jedi Order, but the "gray Jedi" concept described by most advocates is more "Oh, I don't sweat it too much, I can stop any time I want" Force users who haven't become monsters yet, but also work without guardrails against becoming monsters so is it a matter of if or when?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

VagueRant posted:

Is the only reason Ming-Na/Fennec Shand had that helmet so a stuntperson could do that silhouette backwards dive firing??

Entirely likely, much as she does some intense action on her own.

Fun thing: In Agents of SHIELD her stunt double was also named Ming so they had shirts made:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

This is a space western. Din rides flies into the sunset.

Fixed for you.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Madurai posted:

I don't find Shand surviving that much of a reach, considering that we were speculating she'd survived right here right after the episode aired.

Yeah, there were plenty of people saying "Oh, it's not realistic for her to still be alive after being left for dead all night" while not thinking about the story purpose of showing an unknown and maybe Boba Fett person find her dead body vs finding her alive.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

moist turtleneck posted:

uh cutting maul in half the other way would make 2 mauls

Would MauL and MauR be allies or enemies though? There's some potential here.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hey, looks like Fennec Shand is in it, so all the more Mandalorian-relevant.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I appreciate how Din's crew last episode included a combination of a guy famously disdainful of Star Wars, a veteran Star Wars actor making a return, and a cosplaying nerd that's wanted to be in Star Wars for decades.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 14, 2020

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

Sci-fi in generally has a problem with scale and the implications of what they show. 300,000 crew on board Executor would basically be an empty ship. You could comfortably fit millions into that volume, with plenty of space left over for tens of thousands of TIE fighters. But, Coruscant alone would have a population into the quadrillions if it had any reasonable population density, so there's plenty of guys to recruit.

I remember a joke fanfic from probably the 1990s that included depiction of what happened on one of the super star destroyers after the Empire fell, collapsing into warring states within itself. I remember little else of it, but the concept sticks with me whenever discussion of how mind-bogglingly huge those ships are comes up.

Edit: I also recall that in the original Foundation novels, Coruscant's inspiration Trantor had a population of 40 billion. How unimaginably huge that felt in the 1940s, I'm sure.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Life brings changes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Its Rinaldo posted:

ThisIsFine.jpg

Mandalorian is star wars now Disney knows where the pendulum of the cultural zeitgeist is swinging and it aint the sequel films

Even if the sequel films had been just fine, it would be smart of Disney to push hard on TV right now. It's hard to tell what the blockbuster movie business will look like post-covid, but big streaming properties are unlikely to stop being money makers.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Well yeah, that was a while back. If she tried to do the slave bikini now she'd have those C-3PO abs.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sankara posted:

Season 3 Chapter 1: The Mandalorian Goes Car Shopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE96hyxx4wc

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Definitely just the voice. The double almost looked too tall.

Bigger Luke confirmed. :tinfoil:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

Imagine not realizing that all of Star Wars media is made for children and we’re all stunted Gen Xers squabbling over content safe enough for 7 year olds to watch.

I think the most important way the prequels poisoned the brains of the fandom was the way so many decided that they were bad because they were flashy kid-friendly adventures rather than serious science fiction for grown ups like the originals.

Though then they got reminded of the empire fighting psycho teddy bears and slowly decided that Return of the Jedi was also always bad.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Everyone posted:

And at some point I'm going to need Shohreh Angdashloo to be some kind of scary-rear end high NR official.

After The Expanse, Star Trek, and Mass Effect, I'm good with her just being some kind of government official in every other sci-fi franchise too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

AOTC especially cemented this with Anakin whining that his lightsaber got broken again and then the Jedi who showed up just tossed Anakin and Obi Wan a couple of spare replacement sabers. Those scenes kind of pissed me off by making the sacred weapons kind of pedestrian (albeit still rare in a big picture sense).

Lightsabers just being space swords was true right from the early ANH scripts where literally everyone had laser swords since blasters were too dangerous for shipboard fighting where you might hit something critical and kill everyone.

By the actual filmed OT, three things were pretty clearly true:
1. Lightsabers are space swords which are not in fact magic weapons. Obi-Wan cutting a guy's arm off was gonna be taken by people as some old man going nuts with an old-fashioned weapon.
2. The magic was the ability of the Jedi themselves to successfully take a space sword to a space gunfight. That's why most people don't use them.
3. Individual lightsabers can still have weight and meaning based on who wielded them or created them, like any other old weapon people attach symbolic value to .

All of which would fit in the whole space samurai movie feel of it. I get the idea that "You have to make it with a special mystic crystal and Force powers" came out of the 1980s WEG RPG as a mechanic for why the party's hotshot pilot, Wookiee, and droid don't also have lightsabers just like the young Jedi, because lightsabers are cool and why wouldn't you want your character to have them?

Then those got used as the setting bible for the early EU and it rolled from there. But that didn't all carry through into the PT.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

Ultimately I believe the outcome was something neither obi wan nor yoda saw/thought of which was luke turning vader back to the light side.

One thing that stands out rewatching the OT is that even the idea of Anakin having been a good man that fell seems to be just Luke's own optimistic view of his dad. Right from the start, Obi-Wan talks about his talent and ability rather than his having been a good man, and Luke just fills the gaps in himself. It gave a new perspective on the prequels.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

Specifically, Nimoy voiced Galvatron in Transformers the Movie (86) until he gets knocked into space in the end. When he returns at the start of season 3 he's crazy and voiced by Welker, now sounding like 1/3 of Hannah Barbera characters and not like he's murdering his own throat.

Yeah, the movie was loaded with recognizable named actors for all the new characters, but come the return to TV they vanished as hard as the cursing and onscreen deaths.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

fartknocker posted:

Yes, it was the original Darksaber from the crappy book of the same name. It was basically just the super laser without anything else attached to it, built on the cheap by some hive minded... rodent monkey alien things? And it was full of problems and basically blew up the first time they tried to actually use it.

Was that the one that was incompetently piloted by committee, or was that another one? I just know the book that made my interest in the EU drop sharply involved a stripped down Death Star superlaser and an author who had clearly been deeply hurt by a bunch of pencil pushers at some point, but it was a long time ago now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly the way droids feature so heavily as both ally and antagonist in this show is one of its best features.

Audiences would be absolutely devastated if R2 got scrapped on screen, they are essentially one of the series emotional anchors.

Contrast them and Threepio against all the other prequel droids who just get owned infinitely and they are always intensely evil even when they are getting mulched. A good droid design does so much work!

Can you honestly say the IG saves the day scene at the end of S1 wasn’t as exhilarating as any other awesome hero scene in this show?

One of the things that amazed me with Clone Wars was how the battle droids were fleshed out as clearly thinking, feeling beings with cutesy mannerisms who were all the same being gruesomely slaughtered by the heroes onscreen in a kids' show. And yet they were also portrayed as cutesy sadistic monsters who would cheerfully do the same to anyone else, so said slaughter ended up being darkly funny every time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

There's like at least three different unrelated Antilles'es in the mainline Star Wars saga: Wedge Antilles, Bail Antilles (senator from Alderaan before Bail Organa--also "Bail" is like Star Wars's version of John), and then Captain Antilles of the Tantive IV.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Everyone posted:

This for me. The way I see it there really is no "Dark Side" of the Force. There is the Force and how you choose to use it. Any darkness in it is what you've brought with you and allowed to manifest through misusing the Force.

I always thought it was pretty simple: The Force gives great personal, mystic powers to those who wield it. That kind of power can make people become monsters. The "Dark Side" is allowing that to happen. If the Jedi were an order of ascetic monks trained from childhood, that was just a (mostly) reliable way of making people who learned to use the power of the Force without becoming monsters.

One consequence of that take is that sure you can have people who do their own thing with the Force and don't turn evil, but it's one of those "eh, I never used PPE in my dangerous job and I have all my eyes and fingers" things. Rather than someone who's seen through the lies both of wearing goggles and of staring deliberately into the laser.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I wonder sometimes if Boba's level of badass was one of the things that got amped up the West End Games RPG in the 1980s. I think "lightsabers are borderline magic weapons that only Jedi can make and/or not cut their own heads off with" came from there just so GMs could shut down parties where the smuggler and droid PCs all had lightsabers too (because lightsabers are awesome). The RPG had a lot of influence on deeper fandom, especially when they shipped out a lot of remaining books as setting resources for early EU authors.

They had some sweet in-universe ads, though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

DurosKlav posted:

He looks cool and he outwits and captures Han Solo. Everyone seems to leave out that part. So if he's a chump, what does that make Han?

Part of developing awareness about Star Wars is realizing that Han is one of the comic relief characters, just with a broader skill set than C-3PO.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

The earliest one was pretty slow, but they had IG-11 murking dudes in the last couple IIRC.

This one was about 2 1/2 months before Season 1. Sure there's no Grogu, but it's still pretty flashy and actiony, and much less talk than Book of Boba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

I'm still all in on it, looks cool.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

The main reoccurring complaint I saw about Anakin in Eps 2 & 3 was, "That's not how *I* imagined Anakin to be", and then they'd go on a rant about how Anakin should've been cool and badass and awesome, like Han Solo, but with a Lightsaber.

That's the big thing. A lot of people wanted Anakin to be exactly who Luke imagined his daddy to be: the good, heroic badass who tragically fell to evil. After all, Luke appealing to that person saved him in the end. But what we got was much more in keeping with Obi-Wan's diplomatic praise of what a skilled pilot and powerful warrior he was while avoiding discussion of personality and moral character, or Yoda just saying "powerful Jedi."

I guess you can't blame people for filling in the same mental gaps the protagonist did since the story was from his viewpoint, but it feels like a twist that was there all along (well, from once Vader was solidified as Anakin) but some audiences didn't take well.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I remember how as part of dismissing the prequels as insulting kids' movies while the original trilogy was serious science fiction for grownups, a good number of fans I knew who had liked Return of the Jedi sloooowly threw it under the bus as the harbinger of Star Wars' fall because the race of vicious forest cannibals was small and cute and there was a big happy ending where the Empire was defeated.

A lot of the same people also complained that the prequels were bad because of politics and intrigue getting in the way of space battles. (I'll give them a pass on complaining about romance because the romance was pretty dire.) Suffice to say, for all their actual flaws the SW prequels damaged my view of fan engagement more than my view of Star Wars.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

The memes are fascinating to me because I know there are people who have just always liked or disliked the prequels but the whole meme culture makes it seem like a lot of other people have gone from dislike to ironic appreciation to unironic appreciation.

The prequel meme that most resonated with me was of the BTTF scene with "You're not ready for this but your kids are gonna love it."

They broke so many of my generation's brains though. I think some was just realizing that a new Star War coming out after close to 20 years wasn't gonna make them 20 years younger again and that a new movie won't be the one they made up in their head for years as the upcoming best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I see that now. Stupid Trade Federation doughnuts, ruining my cool star destroyers :argh:

After Attack of the Clones came out, I saw some random interview with a bunch of kids where they were asked their opinions on a bunch of stuff from the movies. Turns out most loved Jar Jar, thought pod racing was the coolest and pretty much the total opposite of what I thought about a lot of different stuff in the films.

I was pretty much forced to accept that I was no longer the target audience for Lucas and that all the juvenile stuff I didn't like actual juveniles did. Funny how that works.

It really helped put things in perspective for me and I stopped complaining about the prequels and was able to watch them again and appreciate them a lot more.

The sequels however are a different story. gently caress the squels.

I'll never love Jar-Jar, but I came to peace with him a lot more once I realized that he was an attempt to make a similar bumbling clueless fuckup comic relief part to C-3PO who was otherwise nothing like him to not seem like a retread (in being loose and simple rather than stiff and impractical.)

But overall, like, I wasn't a kid seeing new Star Wars, and I wasn't an adult nostalgically visiting a story I saw as a kid. I was okay with that. And the rough parts of the story came together more once once I revisited them years later without having fresh preconceptions to clash against. And after a fresh rewatch of the originals so I was less comparing to the OT ~in my heart~.

Not saying they're as good as the originals. The OT was a bombshell on the whole medium/genre for a reason. But not bad.