Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

2. Seems a bit odd that Cobb only refers to the bartender as Weequay. I would assume he'd have learned the name of the bartender he saved and I assume visits quite often, rather than just calling him by his species. I suppose it could be a Star Wars-y way to just call the guy "barkeep" but it seemed unusual.

In old canon, Weequay usually went by “Weequay” to outsiders because they didn’t have names among themselves owing to the fact that they don’t really talk and do most of their communication by pheromones.

In new canon, they have names and talk in sexy Spanish accents, so I guess the marshal is just a racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Neeson is fine, but Qui-Gon is a super boring character. He's supposed to be this rebellious grey Jedi that doesn't get on with the council, but that never particularly comes across in his dialogue.

Eh? Sure it does. Virtually the first scene of the movie has Qui-gon telling Obi-wan that he should spend less time listening to Yoda’s mystic visionary stuff and more time focusing on what’s going on. There’s a couple of occasions on which Obi-wan is being snotty and doctrinaire and Qui-gon tries to broaden his mind a bit. There’s a prickly scene between the two of them before Anakin’s test where Obi-wan reproves him for not being a team player and alludes, in usual Star Wars fashion, to past events that we haven’t seen to back up his argument. Qui-gon responds by pretty much telling him he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Of course what Obi-wan is saying is true, the council won’t let him train Anakin, and when this happens he stops just short of telling them to sit and spin. Literally his dying words are him making Obi-wan promise to ignore what the council explicitly told them. The idea of Qui-gon the maverick can be taken too far. He’s a dissenter, not a revolutionary. But he does dissent. He’s just low-key about it and not an aggressive jerk.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress yeah it’s intentional. The unwitting cruelty shown to Anakin by the Jedi is the root of the trilogy. Anakin got unethically adopted away from his home, figured he was getting a father figure to replace his mom, then his father figure immediately died and got replaced with a bossy, immature big brother. No wonder he got hosed up.

It wasn’t completely in Qui-gon’s power to do better at the time. Qui-gon couldn’t have just whisked Shmi away since she’s got a bomb in her. They would have needed to buy her freedom which they couldn’t do on account of being broke. Remember he already had to cheat to get to keep Anakin. Maybe he did intend to go back and save Shmi at some point but just died first...but I doubt it, he seems pretty committed to the whole Jedi life of no attachment even if he has unusual religious opinions. And the Jedi as a whole don’t think it is worthwhile to go to the trouble of freeing slaves.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I always thought it was just gathering water, presumably from the air.

Yeah I think it’s this. They have moisture vaporators (“worlds biggest bong, call 555-LUKE”) and they sell the water to buy blue milk, slave robots, and other necessities of life. Remember, Tatooine is pretty much Lucas’ read on Dune.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Kreia was cool. I think Grey Jedi can be really good, it's just hard to do right.

Kreia is a Jedi master who became a master of Sith. She’s not a “gray jedi” or whatever, she’s just a temporarily embarrassed dark lord.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hazo posted:

Realtalk I would be super down for a canonized Kyle Katarn, with a few tweaks. The character certainly has enough cred and longevity (I think Kyle was a non-movie character longer than Ahsoka) to be fully realized.

Didn’t the dude who played Kyle immediately retire from acting after Dark Forces and disappear forever to become a brewmaster or winemaker or something? Truly a Jedi.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

IIRC he was also hard-coded to stay exactly at the midpoint of the game's light side/dark side morality meter, whereas other companions would skew toward the player's alignment.

That’s Kreia. The only party member alignment changes in KOTOR 1 are scripted, there’s no passive skew towards PC alignment until 2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

So is there a natural resource export equivalent to "Spice"?

Wizards

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

The atmospheric chase looked really good but I wasn't sold on the sublight travel between star systems or "Hey, fella, let's save your life then leave you to go gently caress yourself with a ship that's clearly not spaceworthy anymore

Travel between systems with no hyperdrive is in ESB. It was stupid there too tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The spider egg eating was gross as poo poo and the only thing that perturbed me in the episode. A lot more than giant boss spider tbh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

There's a lot of over the top camp in the OT, and thinking about it, there's a lack of it that really hinders the prequels

https://youtu.be/zaXCrMy2mwc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I really don't think TRoS was Disney cowtowing to reddit or even "course correcting" for TLJ, it was them scrambling to piece together an ending after they fired Trevorrow for making a completely unrelated crappy movie passion project, a crime no other director has ever done.

They just gave JJ Abrams a list of poo poo that had to be in it for general fanservice and then hacked it all together.

Trevorrow got fired because he wanted to do something that the higher-ups didn’t want (the rumor is that he wanted Luke to not die before the movie he directed) and then lost the political battle within Lucasfilm about it by being an insufferable rear end in a top hat. It certainly wasn’t to do with TLJ’s reception since he was fired before it came out. It also wasn’t to do with Book of Henry although that probably didn’t help his position, they kept him on for quite a few months after that bombed. The original statement at the time said “creative differences” and I can believe that tbh, since there was no overall plan for the movies and every director wanted to go their own way with them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Where’s the best place to get into the Dr Aphra stuff

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rebels is way worse than 08 Clone Wars, by a lot, and Clone Wars is never watch-every-episode good either. But when it’s good, it’s definitely pretty good. There’s only a couple episodes of Rebels that I would recommend to anyone older than 10.

03 Clone Wars is kind of out of step with the later stuff but also introduces one fairly important character for 08 (Ventress). The 08 Clone Wars movie reintroduces her but it sucks and isn’t nearly as good an intro. So watch 03 for that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Old EU is by and large not worth it. There are some good books and comics and quite a few good games but they’re half sunk in an ocean of tedious bullshit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone posted:

Bo-Katan isn't evil,

idk about that, she’s a nationalist reactionary militant. She ends up looking less insane than the other parties involved in Mandalorian politics and her militancy seems like a much better idea after the galaxy gets taken over by fascists, but she’s still not a good person just because she’s violently revolting against bad guys — she was violently revolting before the bad guys showed up. Also she once slapped an adolescent hostage on the rear end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone posted:

Okay, Bo-Katan is evil - at least in terms of not being perfectly good, I guess. In the end though, how many folks in Star Wars or anything are perfectly good?

It’s not about being perfectly good, it’s more like of all the reasons to become a star warrior, a nostalgic idealism that fetishizes a way of life based on violence and conquest is not a good one. Like, Han Solo is a bad dude for sure, but at the end of the day he’s a bad dude because he’s broke and it’s his job to run drugs for the mob. Bo-Katan is an interesting character, but she came from a privileged background and chose to live by the gun. the word I would use to describe her is “noble” moreso than “good”.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Cool so I'm not just totally blanking that happening out since I never saw it. I should've added the Deathwatch's leader, Pre Vizsla (whose name I had to look up) had the darksaber when he fought Maul and was actually a descendant of the person who first built it. If I had to speculate I'd guess Din's group broke off from the Deathwatch sometime before the Clone Wars, maybe when the planet Mandalore decided to go pacifist, so they're the most hardcore of even one of the most fundamentalist groups of Mandalorians. Someone brought up the kotor games before and while I don't think any of that is cannon anymore it reminded me of Mandalore's armor in the second one, completely unpainted like they wear theirs.

Din’s group was formed when the empire nuked Mandalore iirc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

But the flashback when they find him is during the clone wars, isn't it?

Hm yeah. I guess they must have already existed before the wars but only started doing the sewer hiding stuff as a result of the Purge then?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They still have the Holonet in new canon. It comes up in Rebels a few times. Though in a context which makes it seem more like Imperial state tv service than like something you could use to google up “short green wizard species”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The original movie establishes that Ben served a senator as a general in the Clone Wars. Also that the Jedi were the “guardians of peace and justice in the republic”. Sure doesn’t sound like a bunch of hermits to me.

The stupid fascist new model army officer looking to impress his boss by sneering at a guy in a spooky black cloak isn’t a credible source as to what people know about the Jedi. Tarkin, who is (like Ben) old enough to remember the republic, isn’t at all skeptical of the Jedi powers of Vader and treats them as a fact of life.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Well we KNOW that ain't true

Ben “certain point of view” Kenobi

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anakin thinks of the Jedi as a fairy tale who can’t be killed and who he dreams will someday end slavery.

Imperial propaganda, if Admiral Motti is any indication, doesn’t insist that the Jedi never existed, just that they were traitors, that they are now all dead except for Vader, and that their magic was bunkum.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I figured it was just clones replacing high ranking officials and manipulating policy which lead to wars. Then the jedi would go around and find clones using their mind reading and what not.

It being a literal army of clones was pretty dumb.

Lol at this guy theorycrafting while George Lucas goes “it’s a war but there’s clones”

Cartoon Man posted:

They can easily find a similar looking actress

Doubt

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there an explanation for why the Republic just agreed to take a mysterious clone army that no Republic official had ordered or had anything to do with and use them as their army? I only saw AOTC once when I was a kid so maybe I missed it.

As far as the general public knows, Palpatine was given emergency powers to lawfully create an army to fight the separatists, and then immediately deployed an army under Yoda to attack the separatists on Geonosis and save the senator. The whole thing about Sifo Dyas is a secret that Obi-wan finds out when he wasn’t supposed to, not the official explanation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anshu posted:

Edit: To bring this back to Star Wars, you might not be a stormtrooper, but you're no rebel either. You're the bartender who points the stormtroopers to Luke and Obi-wan's table.

The bartender was up against it dude, a group of heavily armed soldiers just walked in and demanded to know where the wanted criminals were. You think he could have kept his life and livelihood if he had told them to piss off?

Shocking lack of empathy for Wuher ITP

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The original sin of Finn’s character is that they introduce him with this ridiculously dramatic scene at the start of TFA that then deflates immediately into him being a goofy dumb hero. He literally turns from being traumatized by the very experience of combat to gleefully killing his own comrades within two scenes. Maybe a better actor could have sold it but I doubt it. TFA is a true piece of poo poo script.

Rinkles posted:

there was a specific esb design?

ESB stormtrooper costume is just the ANH helmets (literally the same costume pieces) with a bit of repainting on the mouth grill.
e: ignore this, just look at the link in the above post

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mandalorian political history is hilariously hosed,

Your choices of sovereign. please pick one and only one:
[ ] butthurt magnate who wants to be Genghis Khan
[ ] butthurt female magnate who wants to be Genghis Khan
[ ] unelected idealist absolutist
[ ] scheming plutocrat
[ ] imperialist stooge
[ ] psychotic dark wizard on quest of revenge

After you have made your choice, please deposit your ballot in the trashcan and a new leader will be picked by coup d'etat because your choices don't matter.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mandos pretty much did the same thing by Din and Mira, they abducted a kid in a war zone and raised it to kill. Mira turned out less religious, but about the same amount of crazy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked the scene with the Republic officer and Cara, not sure why people are dumping on it. There’s something very sad about the officer’s position. He does seem to get the issues involved and is not merely a stuffed shirt cop. But all he’s ultimately able to do is say “sorry for your loss of planet, here’s a badge so you can officially do the dirty job you’ve already been doing anyway”. They’ve already touched on this problem last season, and it couldn’t be more obvious why Cara doesn’t actively support the republic, so they wisely don’t restate it in dialogue. If that’s all the republic comes down to in the eyes of the common veteran shock trooper, no wonder it’s going to fall.

Was Gideon’s comm officer the first female imperial we’ve seen in this show? The sequels have a much more diverse cast of fascists, but heretofore I feel this show has been sticking to the all-male imperials of the original trilogy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Mandalorian has been many things, but it's never been mean before.

Last season there was a gag where a soldier punches a baby

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even the walkbacks in 9 aren’t necessarily Abrams’s fault per se, the tight production, the hate for TLJ, and whatever issues there were with Treverrow all added up to something bad. I’d suggest Abrams had his hands tied.

I’ve never wanted an in-depth behind the scenes of a production more than the Disney Star Wars films. I think literally only TFA wasn’t beset by issues of some sort.

TFA had writing issues. Lucas’ script notes got thrown out right at the start and Disney brought Michael Arndt in to write a script, then fired him after he spent most of a year on it and had Abrams dash off a new one in a month or two so they could start making the movie.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

So this is the level of fan speculation that becomes a rumor now? Not even "Samuel L. Jackson confirms he's currently working on a project" or "there was a purple tint in frame 300 of episode 6 which could indicate Windu's lightsaber"? Why does anyone care? Why is this "reported" on?

Because you clicked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

As Owen correctly points out, he was going to Tosche Station to smoke space weed with his fellow losers. The power converters were just an excuse

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Windu can’t be a force ghost, he died before he could learn how to exist beyond death

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

So did Qui-Gon, but he figured it out. Maybe he found Windu on the other side and helped him, like the original script for ROTJ mentioned Obi-Wan and Yoda did for Anakin (otherwise, when did Anakin figure that out?).

Anakin intuited his way to it because he died with an act of self-sacrificing love. (ghost qui gon probably helped him also) Windu lived telling Qui Gon to suck it and died trying to murder an old man who he thought was too weak to resist him

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Had no one else ever done this before? (ghost Qui-Gon helping him was my original point.)

Apparently not, when Obi-wan and Yoda find out about it in ROTS they’re all surprised and poo poo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

is that the one where luke falls in love with a computer?

Of course not.

He falls in love with a ghost who lives in the computer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fallen Order obviously takes some cues from Souls games (as loads and loads of games now do because they were one of the most significant series of the last decade) but the influence of Sekiro is overstated. Fallen Order and Sekiro were developed around the same time, both had long developments, and both happened to work towards some of the same things because Jedi turn out to be a lot like ninja sword masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember reading a bunch of EU tie-in stuff with Episode 1, including point-of-view journals for a lot of the characters (the Darth Maul one comes to mind- it has an epilogue by Darth Sidious, naturally)

Is this Shadow Hunter? I remember this one being surprisingly good.