Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't get it.

The entire concept of this show is basically fan pandering to the ancient ideal that Boba Fett is the coolest dude around because he has the coolest armor. Why get up in arms because literal Boba Fett, the guy who everyone used to think was so awesome that he turns up in 5 out of 6 Darth Vader movies, turns up in the show based on "what if Boba Fett, but not, had a Yoda friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Boba was always going to come back, there’s money to be made! I’m surprised Disney had the restraint to wait 8 years after buying the franchise instead of making him a main character in the sequel trilogy or something else dumb like that.

I'm honestly surprised he didn't turn up in Solo, the one place where he would have actually made sense showing up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

He just happened to ALSO have a life long rivalry against the guy the Empire hired him to bring in? Seems weird.

He was already hunting Han for Jabba when Vader called in for bounty hunters. As much as I don't want to mention the Holiday Special, Han Solo-Boba Fett was always a thing from Boba Fett's first appearance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Worf ever met a convent of likeminded Klingon weebs.

The guys on that one planet with the Kahless clone?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If the Mando fought Worf, the universe would collapse because how could Mando dunk on Worf to show that he's a badass, but how would he do that if his flamethrower can't work against Worf?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's it known how much time elapsed between Han's rescue from the barge and Endor? Luke had time to visit Dagobah, I suppose he could have hung with Yoda for a bit, did learning of the second Death Star or the dead bothans necessary happen right after he got back?

I think it was on the scale of a few days. If you count the cut scenes, I'm reasonably sure that they mention going to Sullust in the sandstorm scene. That'd be pretty close to the battle.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For all we know, Yoda/Baby Yoda's people are natural predators of Frog Lady.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

Seemed like wannabe Rick and Morty style life doesn’t matter when the universe is huge type humor that doesn’t fit in with the show to me.

He doesn't know what he should and shouldn't eat. The stuff he keeps eating has a semi-aquatic theme to it, making it feel like he's eating what he's supposed to eat...just at the wrong time. The joke is more that he isn't listening, not lol futility of existence lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They're not even space cops. They're somewhere between the Coast Guard and the fighter pilots that they send up when someone's not squawking the right transponder code in an ADIZ.

Which is literally what happened in the episode, I guess.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MadJackal posted:

Unless they switched back in the last 7 years, now the response is “And with your spirit,” which is totally dumb.

I still refuse to say "suffered death and was buried" instead of "suffered, died, and was buried" in the Nicene Creed. If I'm not changing that one, you better believe I can't over-ride my "And also with you" reflex.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's one heck of an extrapolation, given that he says they're "too precise," implying that whoever did it was better trained and better equipped. Which isn't much of a stretch when you're comparing desert nomads with antiquated weapons versus shocktroopers with leading edge equipment.

Plus Luke even says he's never heard of them hitting a Jawa sandcrawler either, which further implies they have little experience knowing how to attack a large, armored vehicle. Unlike...say...stormtroopers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Emperor comes back genie got out of the bottle back in 1991. It would have been odd if they didn't use that one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love that the campiest bombastic lunatic is the Imperial remnant moff, complete with his own Darth Vader cosplay, who spends so long giving bombastic speeches the mando and pals use the time to break out.

My Top Five Supervillain Scenery Chewers:

1) Emperor Palpatine
2) Malcolm "The Mighty Monarch" Fitzcarraldo
3) Gul Dukat
4) Moff Gideon
5) Bane, but only in the scene where they blow up the football stadium

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Herostratus posted:

So, does Mando have any indulgences?
I mean, we've never seen him as much as read a newspaper.
He doesn't sleep around. Declines alcohol. His creepy cult basically
hates fun. All the money he makes goes to said cult. Dude's a medieval monk,
except instead of praying he fights. Will he ever loosen up?

Well most of the time he's driving or killing, neither of which are exactly the best time to whip out the Wall Street Journal to check on frog egg futures.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eat the pennies, Baby Yoda

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's something that always bugged me about Mandalorians popping their domes on and off in the Clone Wars and now it bothers me more in live action.

All practical stuff, like "well now you have to carry the dang thing around" and "what is actually holding it on your head?" and "if I hit you with a stick, is your helmet just going to spin around on your head and now you can't see?"

No wonder Jango's head flew right out. Not even a chin strap holding it on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IBroughttheFunk posted:

From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Yeah, but do you think if you took your yacht to a boatyard in Monaco to be repaired by the finest workers around you're going to get slightly different results than going to a guy that usually spends his time welding patches over holes in tuna boats while telling everyone about how Belichick sucks without Brady?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My main assumption is that pier town smelled awful. Like probably the worst smelling place in all of the Star Wars.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That was a kind of pipe, yes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm always a little surprised that lightsabers aren't more common in the Star Wars. Yeah, there's the whole "dangerous to use" thing, but that's never really slowed anyone down before with anything else dangerous to the operator.

There were probably catalogs that you could order licensed reproductions of all your favorite Jedi's lightsabers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sydin posted:

What makes lightsabers workable in a setting with laser guns all over the place is that Jedi have training, reflexes, and force sensitivity to deflect blaster bolts. Your average dude bringing a lightsaber to a fight would probably just result in them getting turned to swiss cheese.

That's not what I was talking about.

I mean literally like how I can go buy a replica of Patton's ivory handled pistols or the Honjo Masamune. They'd still work as a gun or a sword, but no one is actually using one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah my childhood vision of the Clone Wars was bascially that it was a war so massive that it used clones as soldiers on both sides, but honestly nothing more than that. I also thought it was long before Star Wars (I always read Obi Wan as someone in their mid 70s and thought that Luke's father was supposed to be within a few years of him, being middle aged when Luke was born).

Especially when your childhood had little more than behind the scenes making of material to base your ideas on. There was a time where Mandalorian armor was maybe the armor worn by a Clone Wars commando unit and that we almost had a version of Empire where Lando was one model of Clone leftover from the war and Cloud City was basically a clone refugee center.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

I saw the original when I was twelve. My impression was that the clone war may have been just a local war and maybe not even related to the rise of the empire.

I always figured it was huge, like the Punic Wars or something that lasted for decades through fits and starts. Everyone that mentions them in A New Hope calls them "the Clone Wars," not "the Clone War." Anakin was just another fighter pilot, a really good one, fighting in the war until he met Obi-Wan. Turns out that he's strong in the Force, but was never selected for Jedi training because he was born out in the sticks. About 15 years more of war, the Empire (complete with the Jedi and everything being part of the nascent Empire) rises out of what's left of the Republic, determined to be so powerful that nothing can ever threaten them again. Anakin sides with the Empire, Obi-Wan is all Maximus being "there was a dream that was Rome. This is not it!" They have it out and the Empire turns on the Jedi, realizing that they will never allow the Empire to become the cartoonishly evil Empire that we know and love. Darth Vader becomes the enforcer that the weird old Emperor uses to fight his wizard battles for him. Anakin's wife takes the kids and goes into hiding.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bring back the Dark Forces 2 Kyle Katarn actor for more FMV hammy goodness.

I'm not sure if there exists a blow dryer powerful enough for that hair. Truly a relic of a bygone era.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They need to find a way to get Avery Brooks to show up so Carl Weathers and he can act at each other.

Their combined power releases so much ham that the Emperor spontaneously forms directly out of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe this is how Ahsoka dies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frankenstyle posted:

Wait. It's been a while so don't call me dumb, but I thought the Dark Forces dark troopers were guys in suped up stormtrooper power armor. Were they actually droids?

Confusingly, it was all of the above. Phase I was the sort of clunky looking droids, Phase II were all armored up, and Phase III could be worn as a exosuit.

For bonus dark fun, there were also guys called Dark Troopers in Dark Empire that had limited training and skill in using the Force.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. I remember having to jumpstart a car and my dad saying don't let the wires touch, so of course I immediately turned around and went "What?" and clacked the cable heads together.

I believe that, after 2005, you're obligated to yell UNLIMITED POWER while touching the heads of jumper cables together.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

exmarx posted:

these human beings keep dying after i inject them with goblin blood? instead of getting magical powers???

You'd think after thousands and thousands of years of Jedi running around someone would have already figured out once and for all if you can inject goblin blood to gain magic powers, but, apparently, no.

What, no one had the idea before?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All Han Solo knockoffs are good. Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Wedge for big chunks of the X-Wing comics, The Outrageous Okona, ALL OF THEM.

Okona was simply too outrageous for TNG.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

howe_sam posted:

That's been true for longer than 20 years. Love the guy but he's always cribbed from himself.

I'm pretty sure Raiders of the Lost Ark is just the stuff he had left over in notes from Star Wars and Empire.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look how much Tahiti turns up in unrelated events for a good 60 years from the 1780s to 1840s, despite being on the other side of the world from practically everything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean his idea of fun was picking up power converters at Tashi Station for god sakes, power converters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpUkokRx3-k

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

T16 is a Star Wars Honda Accord and Luke and his friends are ricers

I think the more Lucas-ian version is a pony car

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

Hot rods are cool Luke and Biggs are not

Biggs had a cape so his cool levels are off the charts

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I swear I saw a baby yoda bop it in a store yesterday

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There wasn't a single thing about the Vong that was even remotely interesting

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is Booster Terrik just conveniently cruising around in his Scarlet Star Destroyer.

For a second, in the jail break episode, I thought that Mando was meeting someone on Booster's red Star Destroyer before it turned out it was a space station.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CorSec, if not necessarily Corran Horn, is something I'd like to see get a mention. Corellia being a semi-autonomous entity inside the Republic was an idea I thought was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Any surviving Jedi are probably weirded out by and suspicious of Luke, since he's more or less Hitler Jr who supposedly overthrew his dad but in obscure circumstances, and pretty sure it's clear that just about any and every one is basically a PTSD suffering war veteran and survivor of genocide.

Settling things in the back room with a witnessless sword fight is pretty much the Jedi way