Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It was a filler episode, and the effects felt a bit all over the place, but I enjoyed Timothy Olyphant and love the Tuskens and Jawas getting more screen time. Them cocking up parsecs again also annoyed me.

That Boba stinger though, I'm so glad they brought Temuera Morrison back.

DurosKlav posted:

I mean I dont follow casting spoilers but I was pretty sure once they showed the armor that, the actual Fett would show up at some point. Theres only really 2 ways the Jawas were getting that armor. 1 is going into the Sarlacc and getting it, the other is if it was abandoned outside of the Sarlacc. Great episode all around

Well, we were told this episode that the Sarlacc is dead, right? That added to the plausibility of Fett himself being gone.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I think I've become too cynical for Star Wars, because all I could think about was how flaccid Favreau's direction is.

Yeah, this episode was fairly eh on a technical front except for the Krayt fight. It's a disappointing start to the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Absolutely not, the puppies want to eat the baby! Keep them away!

Every episode advanced the plot pretty much the same way this episode advanced the plot. It progresses the story of Mando looking for more Mandos. If he just up and found some in the very first episode, it wouldn't be a very good season-long arc. And it re-introduced the ur-Mando, Boba Fett, which may or may not play heavily into the plot going forward.

It advanced the story as much as episode 4. 1, 2 and 3 were one big arc. 5 and 6 were entirely isolated/maybe relevant in the future.

I think it’s the weakest episode of the series thus far, controversially I preferred 5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

animeluva1 posted:

What is this "filler episode" nonsense? The first 15 minutes was establishing Mando has a hunch that finding other mandolorians would help him get information about where the Child's people are. And lo he found a rumored mandolorian.

I love that chapter 9 (S2E1) went full HAM on the western part of space western. I didn't care that I could predict the major plot beats.

It didn't directly advance the story in any way, nor appreciably challenge or change the character of the Mandalorian. While filler is not necessarily the best term for it, the main body of this episode is wholly standalone with no direct character hook other than the Boba Fett tease.

It's good, I liked it, but I also think it's the worst that the show has been so far, and felt like a lesser version of episode 5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

It is ok and good to have those types of episodes in a tv show.

Example: literally every standalone X-Files episode being better than the arc ones.

I agree entirely, episode 6 is probably my favourite of the whole series. Just that this one felt particularly aimless, especially for a start to the season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just occurred to me those of us who thought "he will tell Cobb he earned his spurs and give the armor back" might still be correct, given their habit of taking what could work just as well as one-and-done characters and ensemblizing them.

Oh, definitely. He's coming back.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

funkymonks posted:

God who gives a poo poo. Shows are better when given room to breathe and no always advance the A Plot. Side characters are fun. Side stories are fun.

I straight up said that I liked it though? I'm just saying I get where people are coming from, since this is the start of a hotly anticipated new season in a series with a short run of episodes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

The singular complaint I have about the show is that the main characters are a man who can't show his face and a puppet, so a lot of the reaction shots have to go to side characters and a lot of the emotional moments don't quite land.

Making it so Mando won't remove his helmet was an odd choice really.

True, but Episode 4 really showcased how that could be used brilliantly. It just takes some good direction.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just don't think they need to do more with Fett. He's alive, he's been living on Tatooine since escaping the Sarlacc and he might as well have moved on with his life for all we know. I'd be perfectly happy if that stinger was the last we see of him. Just an acknowledgment of a thing that happened and then back to the daily adventures of baby yoda and buckethead.

They don't need to, but, I think Fett (and maybe throw in Sabine too) could make a really cool ideological conflict episode between Mandalorians.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

George Lucas is not an "actor's director" either. Literally every actor who turned in a weird or wooden performance in the Prequels under Lucas has given some pretty banger performances elsewhere under other/better directors.

Yeah, Lucas is pretty much only good for big ideas, I think one thing that's very much a point in his favour though is he does budge when he gets pushback, that's why the original trilogy turned out so well.

Filoni always comes across very well in terms of connecting the dots of what Lucas would do, but actually doing it decently. His reading of the Duel of the Fates ascribes much more meaning to it than I think there honestly is in the film itself, but he executes on all that and then some in a much more understated final showdown between Maul and Obi-Wan in Rebels. That's very much how Mandalorian feels too.

cargohills posted:

Liam Neeson is good in Star Wars. I never thought that was an unpopular opinion before. Isn't he one of the things basically everyone likes about the prequels?

Neeson's performance was pretty decent, but the script definitely didn't help him, and it was very phoned in outside of line delivery. He's not very celebrated because he's stuck in the Jar Jar and midichlorians movie.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

cargohills posted:

He actually just straightforwardly describes what happens in the movie.

What happens in the movie is a cool fight. Filoni describes an emotional core that should exist in a movie that utterly fails at establishing it, one that should represent the emotional core of the whole prequel trilogy and is only even slightly approached by that one really good poster for the movie. I'm sure it's what Lucas had intended, but that's exactly my point, he's awful at execution, just concept.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hazo posted:

I’m not sure if my disdain and mockery came through in that post. Grey Jedi is the stupidest loving concept that’s entirely made up by dorks who point to moody light-side Jedi like Jolee and Ahsoka and think they’ve cracked some kind of secret Force Konami code.

Every “Would you be a Jedi or Sith” poll is inevitably filled with comments from :actually: idiots who want their M/Gary Sue characters to be a noble good guy who by the way can also dispense awesome Punisher-style justice.

Look at what I just effort posted. I’m so sick of all these Star Words.

Kreia was cool. I think Grey Jedi can be really good, it's just hard to do right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Why does Star Wars have to keep doing spider poo poo, please stop

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about anything else, but it was 100% being played for laughs.

Yeah, but not just for laughs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

teagone posted:

Never at the expense of someone seemingly innocent trying to protect her bloodline though. That's the bit that irks me.

It's more the situation for me. I feel bad for frog lady, basically, and the show felt like it didn't in favor of jokes.

Baby Yoda has always consistently been anti-Frog. The first thing Baby Yoda eats is a grown frog. The show's mostly being unsubtle about Baby Yoda's poor moral upbringing and masking it with humour.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

Fair but I still think it’s a little bit weird of a way to go for the episode.

It's very clearly saying that eating the eggs is bad though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I can't really judge this episode since I straight up couldn't watch it, but it definitely seems like it's down there with Ep5 and the previous episode as contender for the worst episode of the show. That doesn't mean there's not plenty to like, and it's hard to argue that it is straight up bad, just that it didn't really work for you and that's fair. I really enjoyed everything up until the spiders.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait what? S2E1 is one of the BEST episodes of the show, what are talking about? It has literally everything that makes this show good (maybe a little light on baby Yoda)

I think it's much like episode 5 and this one. They're not bad episodes, I'd say they're quite good, I just preferred the others. The last one pretty much felt like a better redo of episode 5, though by virtue of redoing things lacking that original spice, which is why I'd say both episodes are as good as eachother.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

teagone posted:

I didn't like Rogue One, but a lot of people did.

Did they like Cassian though? I thought he was incredibly "ok".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

evilmiera posted:

The first two episodes of the season were follow-ups to the worst two episodes of the first season, and they didn't exactly redeem them.

I'm hoping for something new in the coming weeks, rather than just rethreads.

Woah, considering S2E2 was a follow up to S1E6 - the best episode of the whole series - them's fightin' words.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The welfare joke isn't funny, and I don't get the gender fluid comment, but otherwise the general sentiment of "I don't get why people are so against the baby eating poo poo they shouldn't" makes sense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Everyone posted:

...the general sentiment of "I don't get why people are so against the baby eating poo poo they shouldn't" makes sense. What exactly does that mean?

teagone posted:

Like a handful of other goons in this thread, they think people getting upset/weirded out by Baby Yoda eating Frog Lady's spawn is amusing.

No, I don't find it amusing. I've said it a few times, but it's clearly not a good act. It's dark comedy in the moment and clearly in line with and adding to other dark acts that Baby Yoda's witnessed and taken part of. Mando's an awful parent. It's appears to me as if it was meant to rub you the wrong way. I thought it was funny, I also empathised with Frog Lady and acknowledge how hosed up that was.

We'll have to see if this gets followed up on at all, if this is foreshadowing of Baby Yoda being The Worst Baby or if it really was just intended to be comedy that didn't play right with some, but I think the discomfort was intended.

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at calling unfertilised eggs "babies"

Their goal is to get them fertilised, so

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That episode was amazing. Bryce Dallas Howard knocked it out of the park again. I'm looking forward to Bo-Katan facing off against Gideon at some point in the future.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think it's more that they already did the egg eating thing, and short of having Baby Yoda straight up eat the baby frog, they can't really keep doing the thing? I think it's really weird that you and others are taking that whole thing so maliciously.

Fair play to those for whom that entire thing hits more personally due to life being a bitch, but everyone else,

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Yep. But get a script from Lord and Miller and leave stupid rear end Kasden out of it.

Unless it’s Jake Kasden

If you get Lord and Miller involved, you give them creative control and dont retract it. Solo was a good film that could’ve been great and was horribly hamstrung by its production issues and deadline.

Disney, stop giving these things hard deadlines. They’re done when they’re done.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of CW and they're really good! If that is what you call rough until Season 3, I'm really optimistic about the back half of the show!

It's more that it's very uneven. Every season of Clone Wars (and Rebels too, to a lesser extent) have some really, really, really lovely episodes, and the first two seasons have a higher number of those than others.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, Sarkeesian also called out the fact that it took four episodes into the show for a female character to have more than two spoken lines of dialogue last season, so I get the sentiment behind this take.

The way that disregards the Armourer kinda irks me, not exactly the best metric, especially since the speaking cast of characters is pretty small in the first three episodes. Episode 2 is literally just Mando, Nick Nolte and the Jawas.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

While it’s 100% that Anita is an important feminist figure in nerd circles and gaming, she also understands that her engagement is centered around highlighting the imperfections of things.

I think that's my biggest problem with them, they're all about engagement. Often feels very shallow, very surface level, which just opens their work to far more criticism. Not very good in terms of academic criticism, just loud activism, and while the latter is very important don't get me wrong they market themselves as the former and aren't great at it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Cool so I'm not just totally blanking that happening out since I never saw it. I should've added the Deathwatch's leader, Pre Vizsla (whose name I had to look up) had the darksaber when he fought Maul and was actually a descendant of the person who first built it. If I had to speculate I'd guess Din's group broke off from the Deathwatch sometime before the Clone Wars, maybe when the planet Mandalore decided to go pacifist, so they're the most hardcore of even one of the most fundamentalist groups of Mandalorians. Someone brought up the kotor games before and while I don't think any of that is cannon anymore it reminded me of Mandalore's armor in the second one, completely unpainted like they wear theirs.

Wasn't the heavy guy with the jetpack from episode 3 a Viszla?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

skasion posted:

Hm yeah. I guess they must have already existed before the wars but only started doing the sewer hiding stuff as a result of the Purge then?

Death Watch were around during the Clone Wars, and in the flashback they were painted in their colours. We don't know the timeline of Din's group splitting off, nor when during the Clone Wars that flashback was. Since the group is called the Children of the Watch, and a Viszla is with them, I'd guess they splintered off after Maul killed Pre Viszla, the former leader of the Death Watch.

Thing is, the Darksaber used to belong to Clan Viszla. Bo-Katan wants it now. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Mandalorian on Mandalorian fighting in the future over it.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah that's how I understood it. I guess Boba Fett was a special exception, walking around in plain sight on an imperial flagship. Or maybe that just goes into the "he's not a real Mandalorian" list for him.

Boba was never Death Watch, and I'm pretty sure neither was Jango. Din walks around in plain sight just fine too, the secrecy is to make it look like there aren't many of them, not to hide their existence totally.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

head58 posted:

I was a little puzzled when Din started talking about looking for the Jedi - I didn’t think he had connected the Child to the Jedi, he was just looking to return it to “its people.” Where did that get filled in for him?

The Armourer told him about sorcerers and called them Jedi at the end of last season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Everyone posted:

Dear God, if this show gives us live action Grand Admiral Thrawn I will weep with joy.

If they kill off Gideon suddenly at the end of this season to introduce Thrawn, I would have mixed feelings. If he took the Darksaber and just kinda gave it back to Bo-Katan though, that'd be a great anti-climax.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Speaking of pod racing I really liked how the Deputy's speeder in the first episode of this season was clearly an old pod racer engine that he repurposed into a bike.

Specifically it was half of Anakin's, or at the very least, a similar model of old lovely pod racer.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hazo posted:

Man, I asked my wife to get me Squadrons for Christmas but now I kinda want to just get it now. I ruled on X-Wing and the Rogue Squadron series, but I hated the starfighter combat in Battlefront. Is Squadrons significantly better? And can she and I play splitscreen?

There's no splitscreen. It's pretty much just like the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, cockpit only with power management. Highly recommend you play with a joystick. The campaign is long enough, can easily run you anywhere north of eight quality hours, but the multiplayer is great. VR makes it into an absolute delight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I mean there's some cool poo poo happening to attempt to mask the copy & paste job, but what in the procedural gently caress is this? loving Clone Wars feels like it was written by Damon Lindelof in comparison.

It's a procedural show with occasional episodic story arcs, using elements from some of the standalone episodes.

Badger of Basra posted:

Not every show has to be prestige TV

I think the part that's confusing people is it's got the quality of prestige TV.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

And Kathleen Kennedy gets in over her head.

CelticPredator posted:

She produced some of the biggest films ever.

The problem is Star Wars is way more important to everyone for some reason

The vast majority of the films she's produced are fantastic standalone films. But sequels generally seem to be the bane of her existence. The Force Awakens, in a vacuum, was actually a very fun movie regardless of how derivative it was. Rogue One and Solo are also enjoyable, Solo obviously being somewhat troubled but still decent.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I really am a fan of a lot of the music in TFA. Rey's theme, Kylo's theme and the Resistance March are all pretty great. The sequel trilogy really doesn't use music well though, I swear, every chance they could, they played Leia's theme, even before Carrie Fisher died.

Cheesus posted:

In a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, Favreau also mentioned they'd just finished up "writing on that other show we're working on".

Oh my god

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

jivjov posted:

Except TLJ took the baton from TFA and ran with it without any weird walk backs or "well, actually"s

Even the walkbacks in 9 aren’t necessarily Abrams’s fault per se, the tight production, the hate for TLJ, and whatever issues there were with Treverrow all added up to something bad. I’d suggest Abrams had his hands tied.

I’ve never wanted an in-depth behind the scenes of a production more than the Disney Star Wars films. I think literally only TFA wasn’t beset by issues of some sort.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

The Phantom Menace is closer to a "good movie" than the other two prequels, given how bad Lucas is at actually directing in that hypothetical Howard probably could've done it.

I dunno, 3 > 1 > 2 IMHO.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Seriously this, even Mando which I'm really enjoying is WAY too goddamn obsessed with a planet that was supposed to be a complete backwater even by Outer Rim standards.

"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from" apparently means "somebody visits there in every loving game/movie/show/comic/book/etc ever.

It's such a backwater it's a criminal hub. It's sparsely populated with a few "major" trading hubs. It's far from the "light" of the centre, that being the order of the Core Worlds, rather than being utterly irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the Jawas are highly practical and also masked;

You uh, remember what happened between him and the Jawas, right?