Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hazo posted:

I typically hate nerd parodies, but I really love the production value going on here. Solid pro-click.

People in silly costumes playing music is Star Wars' oldest tradition.

Also, ripping off westerns and samurai movies, and if you're going to do a Lone Wolf And Cub then it seems very fitting to remember how much messed up poo poo that Cub got exposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah Filoni basically said in an interview that he based later series Kanan on Zatoichi because he's a fan. TBH the only good Zatoichi that isn't Zatoichi that's been animated is Admiral Fujitora in One Piece since he not only looks like Shintaro Katsu, but the character acts like Ichi as well. He's more than just a blind swordsman.

Specifically, a blind swordsman who can control gravity and call in orbital meteorite strikes. (Interestingly, his blindness means that he has to have his men act as spotters for him)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do love that the campiest bombastic lunatic is the Imperial remnant moff, complete with his own Darth Vader cosplay, who spends so long giving bombastic speeches the mando and pals use the time to break out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really like how they portray the Imperial remnants without needing to spell things out. They've either gotten sloppy or tripled down on everything, and either way have zero self-awareness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disney did seem to go all-in on defending Chris Pratt lately for losing a twitter poll, so who knows, though I haven't heard how that played out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, that's pretty accurate for a parent of a young child with special needs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Obi-Wan and Anakin having a too-equal relationship might have been part of the problem. Qui-Gon would have done a much better job training him, but Obi-Wan ended up with the problem of too young/immature parents who are more like friends to their children than actual parents. It's no wonder Palpatine was able to play Anakin like a fiddle. The same old story, neglected boys whose emotional needs aren't met are just waiting to be radicalised.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also Mandalorian's reaction to me did not read as disinterest or mild annoyance, it read to me as more "oh gently caress" or mild panic. You can't see his face of course so maybe people read it differently, but his voice sounded like "Oh poo poo I am going to be in so much trouble this lady is going to be so mad", and every scene has a tension of him clearly hoping she will not notice the one or two missing.

I still like that both the audience and the characters start to pick up on his emotions and reactions the more they hang around him, to the point where one character jokes about him overreacting.

Also no wonder he gets along so well with the Tusken Raiders. And the child, for that matter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Slightly annoying they call her a frog when she's clearly a salamander.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He just really doesn't want to part with his ship after all they've been through together.

It's going to fall apart the moment he finds a home for the child, Blues Brothers style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda doesn't help that their helmets are all the same. One of the big strengths of the show is the Mandos having distinct looks, body language and expression through action without needing to show their faces every five minutes like a Marvel movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

??? They are different.

Point, I think it was just the framing and that we were only just introduced to the characters that was confusing me.

Gonz posted:

I loved the Predator thermal nightvision hallway shootout stuff.

The Mandalorians are at their best when they use their fighting style built around maximising the strengths of their armour like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We really need a Star Wars fighting game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s kind of weird that in the last 15 years of Star Wars, two of the most popular dark horse characters were basically “Darth Vader’s lovely intern” and “Darth Vader’s shady drug doctor”.

Put it that way and I'd watch a show of them and Darth Vader's personal trainer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Katee's helmet probably didn't fit over her headband, and would have messed up her wig anyway. They would have had to stop and redo their wigs/hair after every take if they'd actually been taking their helmets off.

Most of the time they used edits to hide it, usually with Katee holding the helmet in front of her face at the start of the second shot and miming removing it.

Movie magic!!!

I'm reminded of how the moment where we see Mando take his helmet off, he has hilariously awful helmet hair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's shown pretty clearly that while the material is treated with respect, Mandos are practical about their armour and it's regularly repaired, reforged and redesigned to remain useful. I imagine the protagonist's sect in particular make sure it's comfortable, since they're meant to take it off as little as possible. Some clearly have it tailored to their preferences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And if Bo-Katan is serious about retaking Mandalor, she's going to need all the help he can get, especially from hardcore dudes like Din willing to walk into a wall of blaster fire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like he's been near a good library, and I think this EU doesn't have an internet analogue.

...and now I absolutely want to see the Mandalorian in a library.

vvv: Ah, though it might also make sense if Din in particular wants to stay off that near literal grid, and I imagine the Empire has done a lot of content purges.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 16, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also feels like a female character just having a kid dumped on her to be raised for an indefinite amount of time is a bit iffy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The logistics argument works the other way too. What if you get 2 palettes of weapons and none of food? Also it's probably easier to repair a droid than it would be to reattach a limb or fix damaged organs. Or even if it isn't just make another one? I don't see how literal cloning could be less expensive when there are literally droids of all sorts everywhere in the galaxy. At the very least it's a commonplace piece of tech, unlike cloning.

But really everyone is giving this more thought than it deserves:

Much like the real life history of warfare, a clone army can just obtain food and other supplies on site as necessary. Soldiers aren't picky eaters, as a rule.

Honestly was a fun idea to have the clones vs droids war; literally the whole premise is a war concocted when nobody really wants one, but they're going 'We've got an army, they've got an army, we might as well go at it'. There's a ton of Clone Wars side media that goes into how clones can actually learn and improve while droids are usually static, and the clones slowly get phased out in favour of the Stormtroopers we know all too well, and much of the Empire's future officer cadre gets their start in the Republic army.

NTRabbit posted:

Palpy said "fantastic timing" because he'd just been made Chancellor and could do whatever he wanted, and the Jedi council were all :smugjones: but needed the army to avoid instant defeat so just went along with it hoping to figure it out as things went along.

Yeah, the whole point of an engineered war is to make things escalate too fast for anyone to ask questions, and by the time they start doing so, it's too late. The Jedi suffer massive losses just in the opening shots, and are mostly unsuited to the job of officers/wizard-commandos they're thrust into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was one point I was disappointed with regarding Krell. I'd have liked it better if he wasn't actively trying to kill the clones but he was just a Jedi with no military command skill trying and failing to lead a campaign and being too stubborn and arrogant to see how he was leading his men to damnation.

There's definitely room for a story like that, given the implication that the Jedi are badly out of their depth as officers for the clone army (which was almost certainly intentional) and I imagine in a lot of cases Order 66 wasn't particularly difficult for the clones to carry out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There even is an episode specifically where a main character is replaced by a clone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone posted:

Back to the topic of this show, one thing I'm looking forward to is Ahsoka and Din comparing notes on their respective childhoods and recognizing how similar the Jedi and "Watch" methodologies were when it came to training students.

Yeah, the similarities are way too close for them not to be building up to that. Just Ahsoka describing what the old Jedi Order was and Din going "...waaaaait..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This really isn't the topic for this forum. Though standard thing is; there are more people in America than people who voted for Donald Trump or Joe Biden.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda the issue when you get a culture that values the warrior identity above all else, you're not far off Spartans, which are fascist as all gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love how Mando has figured out one of the benefits of having a small child; helping with the equivalent of the jungle of cords behind the TV when you're trying to install a new VCR, set top box and/or game system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ah, stock sound effects, was expecting the Ouroborous portal from City of Heroes to pop up for a second there.

I like that heavy speeder being basically a APC/mobile pillbox.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Potentially Dark Troopers or whatever they were called; the original battle droids from Dark Forces.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Watching the Mando and Baby Yoda share a meal together, and the Mando lifting his helmet to drink ... do they not have straws in the Star Wars universe?

Seems implied that it's more soup/chowder that isn't going to go well through a straw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Moose King posted:

I got a huge kick out of the big bad scary moff operating his big bad scary (possibly beskar? they were really shiny) Dark Trooper project out of a loving Arquitens :lmao:

Based on the scale of the show so far, I don't know if they'll ever do it, but if an actual Star Destroyer ever shows up it's going to be an incredible Oh poo poo moment

I hope we get that one Star Destroyer from the EU that's painted red.

Thing is about the Imperial remnants is that you can't operate something like a full sized Star Destroyer without the backing of a military-industrial complex, and it's made clear that a lot of remnants have lost their discipline and organisation, unless you have a lunatic like Gideon in charge anyway enforcing it. Has been made clear meanwhile that the New Republic does have enough organisation to bring a squadron of X-Wings down on your rear end at short notice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Erev posted:

Wait gently caress what? They are adding the DEFENDER?

Okay, I guess I'm playing again.

Makes sense, since otherwise the Imperial side has exactly one fighter if you don't get into EU stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A burnout, abandoned Sith apprentice is actually a pretty interesting character idea.

piL posted:

Not killing the sherif, taking the armor, and leaving town was a choice not motivated by personal gain. There's probably others in season 1.

Thing is, the point there is that Din is pragmatic, and doesn't like to start fights when he doesn't have anything to gain. That and given how many people come gunning for him just for being a Mandalorian wearing beskar armour, he probably doesn't want to many any more enemies than he has to. (Especially since every enemy is likely to go after other Mandalorians) He does seem to try to negotiate fairly in most cases, and the whole point starting his story off is that he found a line he won't cross.

I do love that Din gets along fine with the Sand People, quite likely because they have so much in common.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chillgamesh posted:

the campaign is a decent length and pretty fun, and you can do the MP modes vs bots solo or co-op, but yeah if you have no interest whatsoever in MP it's kinda hard to recommend at $40

the biggest thing in its favor is that it absolutely nails the gently caress out of feeling like star wars. being in an a-wing cockpit feels so good in that game

e:

Isn't this just CW/Rebels Maul? As it turns out, it IS a good character, lol

That's exactly what I mean, yeah. Kinda like a Gray Jedi from the other end and not poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There are still some Droideka around somewhere right? I want the Mandalorian to fight a Droideka

Din fighting Clone Wars era battle droids would basically have 'Batman beating up alt universe Joe Chill' energy, and I mean that in the best way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the oft forgotten aspects of Star Wars is that logistics can occasionally matter. A big part of the Empire is built around that; the whole reason they're vulnerable to the Rebellion is the assumption that superior logistics and standardised ships will win the day, which to be fair it usually does and the whole reason the Rebellion uses guerrilla warfare.

Pops Mgee posted:

What the hell does “serving during Alderaan” entail? Was that guy just on patrol like when Milhouse was a security guard?

What happened?
Well it started to blow up, then it blew up. :v:

Pretty sure that was basically intended.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like Abrams keeps trying to have his cake and eat it too, and inevitably ends up disappointing as a result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't forget Grievous kills Jedi Shaggy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mace Windu is pretty much the opposite of Yoda in abilities and specialties, being an action hero Jedi rather than a mystical wizard Jedi. Both are the only permanent Jedi Council seats iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that Din gets along with people and cultures who have values and mannerisms similar to his own; the Sand People keep their faces masked and value nonverbal communication, the Jawas are highly practical and also masked; Baby Yoda is outright nonverbal. Seems likely that given a description of traditional Jedi culture and ideals he'll note some very familiar things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Any surviving Jedi are probably weirded out by and suspicious of Luke, since he's more or less Hitler Jr who supposedly overthrew his dad but in obscure circumstances, and pretty sure it's clear that just about any and every one is basically a PTSD suffering war veteran and survivor of genocide.