Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'd completely forgotten about Temuera's casting, so I was watching the episode thinking "Ah, so they're using this to finally tell us Boba's dead and gone"

And then the end of the episode happened

The remake of the Tatooine KOTOR mission was an interesting choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So are the Tuskens gonna use that pearl to buy Tatooine from the Hutts and return its rightful name of Jakku to glory?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ringo Star Get posted:

I just want all the art from the credits to hang up in my house.

Season One concept art album
Art and Imagery Collector's Edition vol 1

We'll likely have something similar once the season ends

BizarroAzrael posted:

Raises questions though, it seems like if he wanted his armour back from Cobb he could have got it, plus if he's alive how did he get seperate from it?

And given I think at least three characters are known to be alive that look exactly like Temuera there's still an element of surprise. Logically the character at the end of the so, being completely bald, looks like Gregor, I believe the only one of the post-CW clone characters to due.

I guess the Sarlacc spat him out a few years after trying to digest him, and he was robbed while he was unconscious
He might also not feel a connection to the armor like other Mandos, if you want to take the "not an actual Mando" at face value

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The micro-missiles are called Whistling Birds

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/CMWAshby/status/1323163333093171201

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Best parts of the prequels were Neeson, McGregor, Christopher Lee, and Ian McDiarmid, without a doubt

Anyone with a beard or unlimited power

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The pod-race just being "old car noises for ten minutes" was great

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And the winner for best ferrari of the year goes to...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I will never not gush about sebulba’s expert tier design, nor will I stop lamenting he wasn’t in a better move e.

The fact he's based on a camel is great

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

The sound design for the pod race is so loving memorable. I legit can hear all the sounds in my head just remembering it.

I play Episode One Racer with the music off just so I can hear all the roars and whooshes and insults as everyone passes me after I wipe out on that one karkin' 110 degree turn

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Was the slaves having bomb implants mentioned in the movie? I don't remember it.

SHMI : All slaves have transmitters placed inside their bodies somewhere.
ANAKIN : I've been working on a scanner to try and locate them, but no luck.
SHMI : Any attempt to escape...
ANAKIN : ...and they blow you up...poof!

When they're weathering the sandstorm

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Its Rinaldo posted:

Or Minsc. Or Don Carnage!

Or Scar for a verse of Be Prepared because Jeremy Irons' voice gave out

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Specifically right after Irons blew his voice out shouting "you won't get a sniff without me!" at the top of his lungs. To Cummings' credit he dies a really good impression.

I've reached the point where I can sorta recognize certain character voices and there's enough Cummings there for me to go "That's not Scar" - as a kid, I never noticed though

There's a specific twang to Cummings' performance where he's almost edging into the Tigger voice

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Have Triple-Zero activate an old HK unit and have them wreak havoc on the galaxy

Give us our droid rebellion they keep teasing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The episode was great

And then the xenomorph eggs showed up

And then the spiders

Why did it have to be spiders

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Can we talk about the awesome scene when he turned over his jetpack to the mercenary?

I love how they managed to give a flippin' jetpack a personality

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

Baby Yoda wasn't just cooing this time, but really trying to talk. Will we get first words this season?

Hearing the Child say "baba" when looking at Din was adorable

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if that's the pre-vis at work, where they basically animate the entire episode in CG and then have the actors run through it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Think of it in terms of Mario level themes

Grasslands - Naboo
Desert - Tatooine
Beach - Scarif
Water - Kamino
City - Coruscant
Spooky - Dagobah
Forest - Endor
Ice - Hoth
Sky - Bespin
Lava - Mustafar

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mando crash-lands on Endor and has to survive a night against a horde of savage ewoks who think anyone wearing a full suit of armor and a helmet is a stormtrooper

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

A Cassian show is weird because he wasn't a particularly compelling character and we know he's gonna eat poo poo on Scarif in a few years, soooo who cares?

But I guess more K2SO is fun. And I didn't think a show about some random Mandolorian (a rando mando, if you will) sounded particularly compelling either!

TCW back in '08: "Who cares, we know how the clone wars ends."
TCW now: "I WILL DIE FOR THESE CHARACTERS."

Rebels back in '14: "Who cares about any of this since they're not in the Original Trilogy."
Rebels after season 4: "I WILL DIE AGAIN FOR THESE CHARACTERS."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love that the campiest bombastic lunatic is the Imperial remnant moff, complete with his own Darth Vader cosplay, who spends so long giving bombastic speeches the mando and pals use the time to break out.

"You sly dog, you got me monologuing!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Omg the Frog Lady episode was GREAT. Favorite one next to the Bill Burr prison ship one.

Also dug how they circled back to some unused Empire Strikes Back concepts.

Those spiders also show up in Junior Jedi Knights: Anakin's Quest where they're called Knobby White Spiders and are living mobile tree roots of Dagobah Gnarltrees

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought I remember hearing years ago it was supposed to be okay for Jedi to gently caress, they just couldn't get attached.

Correct. It's why Anakin became obsessed with Padme since he couldn't let her go

Moral of the story is take your Padawan out clubbing once in a while

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1326585377407324160

I know someone was wondering about concept art, so probably best to keep an eye on the Mando twitter

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

skasion posted:

Where’s the best place to get into the Dr Aphra stuff

Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015) #3 is when she first appears and more-or-less sticks around for the rest of that run, then gets her own 40-issue comic which is more-or-less completely standalone

She's on her second series at the moment

Which is also just titled Doctor Aphra (2020)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watching the Clone Wars theatrical motion picture for cinemas and I have to say one of the most jarring things about it are the soundtrack choices.

It's quite experimental, much like Mando's tunes, especially the Teth scores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocbpxxaXvqI

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

I guess the education of any child you raise can count as brainwashing.

Ah yes, who can forget the years of your parents waving their hands in your face and saying "You will eat your vegetables and keep your elbows off the table and say please and thank you"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Favorite part of Rebels was its demonstration of an orbital bombardment...

...which...gave us tiny piffs of dust clouds on impact despite there already having gorgeous fiery ground-based explosions they could've used to show it actually being effective a few episodes prior

But according to the Thrawn novels, apparently atmosphere dampens the force of lasers or something?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Is there a 'new' EU? If there were I wouldn't mind seeing what that entailed and maybe start diving into those books and comics.

Almost all of the Marvel comic series are worth a read

Here's everything in roughly chronological order

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Mando to get an omnicidal droid companion, which seem to be all the rage

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

The one not to watch is Resistance, because it's very, very kiddy, and it tries and fails to make the First Order and the sequels coherent and relevant.

The latter half of season 2 finally reached the same stride that Rebels and TCW reached in their third seasons and it's a crying shame it got canned

Would've loved a third season set during the year between TLJ and RoS and have Finn, Rey, and Poe appear and flesh them out as characters, because for all of RoS's faults, it was at least nice to see the ST trio together at long last for all of five minutes before the plot tore them apart again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The quarrens? They're a bunch of assholes. I don't think one has ever been shown doing anything positive.

There's an alien species called the Mairin

Or "Bor"

There's one of 'em in Rogue One named Bor Gullet

"That's why everyone gives in to a Bor. Not to make the pain stop. But so there's something left of you afterwards."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLE69caHQs

It's november, but whatever

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DurosKlav posted:

Christmas season pretty much starts October 1st nowadays. In another decade or so its going to be July 5th.

That sounds like you don't already leave it up year-round...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Haven't really read the original Thrawn Trilogy, although I did read the anniversary edition of the first book, and perused the comic version

Never really thought of The Clone Wars as anything other than... some manner of war involving clones - I do recall Zahn was working on the assumption they were evil in the series, and he was basically half right on that front, so...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The weapon designs in Star Wars are always fun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it's a sten gun with an M16 stock

Sterling submachine guns serve as the base for the stormtrooper blasters, to be a little more exact

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Its Rinaldo posted:

Why do we never see stormtroopers use the fore grip?

(the arrow's indicating an ESB stormtrooper armor design)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

In the extra about the making of that episode, that's exactly what it was; those guys were from the 501st and that's all their own armor (and I'm assuming prop rifles as well).*

From that quick glance I can't tell the difference on the stormtrooper from the ESB era- other than the 'teeth' recolor, what else was different?

*I meant to point that out more towards the second point you made, whoops

The hand guard is curved instead of being flat and angular, and the frown (middle of the helmet) is black, rather than grey/black

For more in-depth helmet nitpicking, there's an entire website dedicated to it