Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lobok posted:

It makes you wonder why it had an acid spray. What used to be on Tattooine that a thing like that had an evolutionary arms race against?
Well, Disney does own the Alien franchise now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Richard Ayoade as a recurring sidekick would be sublime.
I want them to find the droid's creator so he can appear in the show as more than a voice.

Vintersorg posted:

What is all that crap? gently caress, I hate fan fiction on how you can do things better than what we got here. TVIV does this all the time for shows that are nowhere near "bad" or "im gonna skip it next time!!".

The well is poisoned from people wanting epic Game of Thrones style arcs. The same bullshit plagued the Raised by Wolves thread with people coming in on how they would have done things so much better instead of going along for the ride.
GoT didn't poison the well. It's Lost's fault. Lost drove TV watchers insane scouring every frame for a tiny scrap of the faintest clue, and we've never recovered since. Ever since then, everything that doesn't 100% adhere to my very specific wishes is total bullshit and I'm never watching again and this is literally the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spookydonut posted:

Nar Shaddaa would be possible location in this show, given its not toooooo far from Tatooine et al
How does the EU canon explain city planets with literally no agricultural space? I always found that weird. Do they just truck in food from other planets? Seems like a really inefficient design for urban sprawl.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if having him meet Mandolorians who take off their helmets (and showing an armorless Boba Fett) was written in so there can be an excuse later on to show Pedro Pascal's face more often in the show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like how this episode continued the trope of important Imperial controls being on an extremely precarious thin ledge.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Yeah I'm down for her Cara quietly rejoining the republic army and never seeing her again. Either that or recast her. Disney pls.
If they don't want to kill off the character but want to recast, just have her go hardcore orthodox Mando so she'd have to wear a helmet all the time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Piell posted:

Anakin Skywalker: Master, sir, I heard Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I've been wondering...what are midi-chlorians?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLccJOMTX0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Star Wars Squadrons is like 20 bucks on steam right now, so I got that. Do y'all play it with a controller

Yeah, it's a lot of fun with a controller. I remapped some of the keys because I didn't like throttle and roll on one stick, but it's pretty intuitive otherwise.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the episode a lot, and really liked the samurai film homages. Though as someone who's seen the OT dozens of times, but only watched the prequels exactly once when they came out and never watched Clone Wars, season 2 definitely lends itself to fanservice way more than season 1. Other than cultural osmosis I wouldn't know who Ahsoka was, and until looking it up I didn't know who Bo-Katan or Thrawn were, so even though the episode was really cool and a lot of fun, a lot of the references and big reveals are lost on the casual fan. Like I said I enjoyed it, but if they're going to lean hard into the extended cinematic universe, I wish they'd set it up a little better with more in-show exposition or context.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Its Coke posted:

they need to just accept Mando is the last decent Star Wars for at least a decade. stop trying to do spinoffs to soak in some of its reflected light. you're making the moon, not the sun. it can't grow your crops

Obligatory "that's no moon" comment.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol of course they had the wrestler do a wrestling move in the fight scene. If you told me a year ago that I'd see Boba Fett take a tornado DDT from Sasha Banks in 2020, I'd laugh at you.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s funny I went looking up my favorite scene in breaking bad and the comment section was just filled with “and this was directed by...get ready for this, Rian Johnson...”

Like gently caress man. I fuckin hate these people man. It’s like they saw one movie they didn’t like and have to splatter their fecal opinions all over the place.
Imagine ignoring how good Knives Out was while pretending Phantom Menace was brilliant cinema.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rochallor posted:

Rian Johnson honestly did Disney a massive favor in having Yoda contextualize the whole Star Wars saga as being about failure and learning from your mistakes. It's a wonderful idea from an artistic standpoint, but it also makes it super easy to make the next trilogy start with Rey and Finn and Poe having hosed things up majorly.
TLJ's worst crime was splitting up Poe and Finn's buddy cop movie dynamic, but it had a great message.

RoS had to mitigate Carrie Fisher's death while trying to wrap up a 9 movie franchise and another director switch, so I can't fault either director - that's on Disney. They should've filmed all three together, LOTR style.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, Bo isn't what I'd call a good person, but I wouldn't consider her "evil" either. She's just driven to do what she thinks is best for Mandalore and will do whatever it takes to see Mandalore prosper. So maybe "Amoral".
Lawful Neutral

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The pilot talking poo poo before getting blasted was extra funny if you watched the last season of Agents of SHIELD, where he also played a completely non-threatening edgelord bad guy.

thrawn527 posted:

Boba Fett: “Where’s the kid?”
Din: “Funniest thing, a Jedi came and took him.”
Boba Fett: “A Jedi?”
Din: “Yeah, blonde guy. Black clothes, green light saber.”
Boba Fett: “...........what.”
Din: "I think Cara said he's called Luke something."
Boba Fett: "gently caress this, I'm going back to Tatooine."
I'm wondering if they wrote Boba out of the ship scenes specifically so they wouldn't interact. "Well poo poo, this is awkward."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For a minute I thought their solution to the Dark Troopers was going to be just airlocking them over and over. Get behind a door, depressurize. Get behind another door, depressurize.

The only thing that really weirded me out about Luke is that he didn't blink at all. CG models often have trouble with eyes being too shiny, joints not moving properly with little movements, and subsurface light scattering on the skin. But if someone doesn't blink, they just feel robotic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

withak posted:

Remake many popular TV shows, but in the Star Wars universe.

Star Wars sitcoms will maintain the laugh tracks of the originals, but will be played off like comms malfunctions.

Butterfly Valley posted:

From a couple of pages ago but I really hated that scene in the prequels (more than many of the others) and thought it was so ridiculously out of place and made zero sense in the context. Even having the death star plans be a minor plot point in AotC was dumb as gently caress, then actually showing it half constructed at the end of RotS to really set off those member berries - what the hell were they doing in the interim 20 years until A New Hope? Did all the workers go on an extended tea break?
I'm reminded of that Patton Oswalt bit. "Do you like Darth Vader? Well in this one, you get to see him as a little kid! Do you like Boba Fett? Well in this one, you get to see him as a little kid! Do you like the Death Star? Well in THIS one, it's being built and Darth Vader's just kinda looking at it."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VinylonUnderground posted:

The Phantom Menace is the best of the Prequels by far. To the point where it is the only one I'll watch . . . but they all suck rear end. I can't decide whether I dislike the ST or the PT more because they are both just completely awful but in very different ways.
The main difference for me is that Lucas is at his worst when he's in full control: The OT had a team of people telling him no and fixing his bad ideas. For the PT, he was surrounded by yes-men because he had the clout by then, and it's just unfiltered Lucas. It's also aged terribly (and didn't look great then), where OT's practical SFX still hold up. Other than Duel of the Fates and Ewan McGregor's general performance, nothing stands out as memorable for me. The writing, acting, and bad CGI kill it.

The ST is pretty, and has some great moments, but overall it's pretty mediocre. TFA is a so-so rehash, TLJ is flawed but it's gorgeous and has good themes, ROS is an editing mess that I can partially forgive due to the filming circumstances. But I'll take pretty & mediocre over ugly & bad writing/acting any day.

[edit] \/\/\/except no lol

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 22, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fatherboxx posted:

Max Rebo band comeback

Disney probably wants to avoid the term "jizz-wailers" moving forward. :gizz:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

"You can type this poo poo, George, but you sure as hell can't say it."
- Harrison Ford

I love Mark Hamill's story (and impression) of Ford's temperament on set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMm0DLg8CE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Drawfee owns and if you don't watch it you hate fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vinylshadow posted:

Julia is a gift that keeps on giving and some of her creations would make for amazing Star Wars aliens

Someone with access to their Discord should suggest that as a prompt. Julia's Dark Souls content is incredible.

Also crossposting from the PYF "stuff you just figured out" thread:

sticklefifer posted:

I never played any of the Jedi Knights games, and a Star Wars fan who told me about Kyle Katarn was eating at the time, so for years I thought the extended Star Wars canon had a character named "Guile Guitar".

It's honestly not much more ridiculous than any other Star Wars name so I didn't really question it, and I still wish that was his actual name.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31/entertainment/jeopardy-tweets-ken-jennings-trnd/index.html

All Gina Carano has to do is something like this and most of us would probably be ok with her continuing on in her role as Cara Dune. But lol, that poo poo aint gonna happen...
Can't really make a heartfelt apology when you completely stand by all the poo poo you post. Disney rehired James Gunn after saying much worse stuff, but it was 10 years ago and he was renowned for shock back then. For Carano it becomes a bad look for Disney, because her current views come up in comments every time I see them advertise the show with her likeness.

I've also never been that invested in her character other than her first appearance. I wouldn't miss her if they killed her off, but I also probably wouldn't watch a Galactic Rangers show if she was the lead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Considering that Jedi are basically monks and Sith tend to have descendants, I like the implication that the division of light and dark sides of the Force is because Siths gently caress.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm still not sure how a bunch of Bothans died for the information in Rogue One.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Rogue Two: Electric Boogalothans

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is something that's stuck with me for a while now, but I swear the main melody in the Mandalorian theme (about 1:10) is a deliberate homage to John Williams' Temple of Doom score. It's different enough to not be a direct ripoff, but I think of Indiana Jones every time the Mando theme kicks in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

Apparently Carano has spent the last couple days liking all the riot posts so #FireGinaCarano is trending again. Especially after the Disney ceo put out a statement condemning the violence

I doubt anything will come of it this time either, but maybe they'll surprise me
There's a whole lot of her in the making of season 2 doc, both in interviews and people talking her up. It's kind of hard to watch now, and I skipped over a lot of her talking because I couldn't care less what she has to say. I know a lot of that footage was taken before most of this came to light, but editors had plenty of time to work around focusing on her too much, and they didn't. So I would guess the company, or someone in it, is pretty firmly on her side.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VinylonUnderground posted:

If she's headlining one of their shows, which seems likely, then yeah. No poo poo. The company is on her side because they want the show to be a success. It's the equivalent of Rock Hudson and Ramon Navarro being real men's men with a softer side. As a studio, you get out ahead of that so when photos emerge it's, "Here is a photo of Rock Hudson, a longtime practitioner of FKK, a German exercise tradition that has found some adherents in LA, practicing stretches with his trainer"

My point is that they didn't need to focus on her as much as they did if their intent was "See, she's not all bad!" If you've already made up your mind, spending that much time on her is a glaringly obvious and shoehorned face-saving tactic. Like they didn't even have a Giancarlo Esposito interview segment - they just had a couple people talk about him for half a minute - and he's the cast member I'd be most interested in hearing from.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dropout's still a thing? I thought CollegeHumor fired their entire staff. I know that's why Drawfee went independent at least.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I know that this is going to be hard to believe, but she’s a worse actress than Carano. Like, a lot worse.
If this tells you anything, Rousey was the worst actor in a Mortal Kombat game.

If they want a big tough chick, just cast Gwendoline Christie and say Phasma is her daughter or clone or something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hey, do you want to be a featured character on the anchor show of media titan Disney's network and make fuckloads of money?

"Nah. Some loud people on Twitter didn't like it last time."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Every sci-fi franchise has to cast either Lucy Lawless or Michelle Forbes at some point, preferably both.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So many people grabbed the free Battlefront 2 that it crashed EA's servers :lol:

Arquinsiel posted:

At least in the game it kind of implies that you managed to avoid noticing any of the bad stuff in the Empire, so you can at least plead sheltered cluelessness. In the supporting novels it's made clear that Inferno Squad know exactly what their job is.
The campaign's pretty good, and I like their explanation for how the Empire became the First Order (which it does a lot better than the movies did). That kind of makes me want a third faction in the overall canon though: First Order, New Republic, and remnants of the Empire as grey-area defectors who knew the Empire was bad and immoral and struck out on their own, but didn't want to join the Rebel Alliance. There's a time-skip in the campaign that kind of glosses over that part.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how good the Luke and Leia voices are. Matt Mercer does a good Hamill impression, but Misty Lee does a really good Carrie Fisher.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Luke's direction made sense to me. He was a beacon of hope for years, but the ethos he followed failed him, so he became a hermit just like Obi-Wan and Yoda, who also realized it was better to fade into obscurity instead of constantly being pigeonholed into this perfect savior that the legends make you out to be. We don't usually get to see big epic heroes living through the aftermath of the repercussions from their actions like toppling an empire; they just get a "happily ever after". Frodo got his, Harry Potter got his, but Rian Johnson knows heroes are more complex than straight up good vs evil. The only problem is, Star Wars isn't more complex than that. If TLJ wasn't smack in the middle of a blockbuster popcorn trilogy, he easily could've made an awesome and beloved standalone film in the same universe.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

skasion posted:

Frodo’s happily ever after is to abandon a society and home to which he no longer feels connected and retreat from the world into a life of religion to cope with the memories of anguish he can never fully express to those around him. I get your wider point and all but the ending of LOTR is not very happy for him.
Not to derail too much further into another IP, but he got to chill with Bilbo, Sam, Gimli, Legolas and a bunch of other cool-rear end elves in the Undying Lands, so it's not like he had a poo poo life after leaving either.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He was standing over him with his lightsaber lit, intent really doesn’t matter much at the point where you’re standing over someone in their bed with the kitchen knife out
Hard disagree on that one. Luke was clearly just offering him some brownies.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has George Lucas or anyone else close to the design team ever talked about the colors of blasters vs lightsabers? It always seemed weird to me that blasters were always an unconventional "red = good / green = evil", but with lightsabers it's always "red = evil" and the main good guy has a green one while the rest vary.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Its Rinaldo posted:

Corridor Crew broke down the Luke deep fake

TLDR they liked it even if it was kinda flat due to tv budget and time limitations. They wanted to see if they could do it themselves and they'll be releasing a vid on it soon.
I watched their version, and.. ehh. The eyes and shading were a bit better, but the hair looked bad and their full CG background replacement was distracting. Instead of trying to do their own cuts of the scene I wish they'd just done a facial replacement of the same scene. Corridor Crew's issue is always hubris; they think their VFX skills are better than they are. Their stuntmen react videos are by far the best content on their channel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

*in a harrison ford voice*

It's not that kind of show, kid.

If they're thinking about space intel gathering and military strategy, we're in trouble.

"I don't sound like that."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

She could have moonwalked into being a beloved purple haired muscle lady icon with adoring legions of devoted fans and all she had to do was suplex Pedro Pascal and she just HAD to make sure we all know she hates pronouns. What a stupid heel turn.

Maybe that's why they cast Sasha Banks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I feel like you’re getting worked up over a lot of assumptions in when each show is filming and what you think will happen with the focus of Mando.

Yeah, gone are the days where the biggest shows on TV are network shows with 24 episode seasons that film year-round and air the same time every year.

Streaming shows with 8-12 episode seasons that can be filmed all at once and air 16 months apart don't monopolize actors' schedules nearly as much. A lot of them even schedule to film around each other, both for actor availability and so they're not directly competing for subscriptions and views at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if they'll pull/edit the making of season 2 special, since it was clearly going out of its way to mitigate the anti-Carano sentiment by focusing a lot on her positives, to the point where they glossed over several other cast members.