Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That episode was amazing. So of course I come here and see people are complaining that it's "filler" when most episodes of this show are largely self contained, and that's one of the things that makes it great. It's a Western where Mando and the Child move from one adventure to the next, and every once in a while advance the main "plot". It's about the journey, not the destination, and that episode ruled.

Anyway.

The Krayt fight at the end was absolutely fantastic. I never thought of them as sandworms, but whatever, Star Wars has always borrowed heavily from Dune, so I'll allow it. It was loving gorgeous. I loved Olyphant. Did not expect them to bring back a character from the interludes of the Aftermath books. And I am unreasonably happy to see Morrison back playing Boba Fett.

Just so deeply satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't turn up in Solo, the one place where he would have actually made sense showing up.

I actually applaud their restraint for not using him in Solo. I always thought Han and Boba having some long standing rivalry was one of the dumber parts of the EU. Like, he was hired by the Empire to find Solo. He just happened to ALSO have a life long rivalry against the guy the Empire hired him to bring in? Seems weird.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

He was already hunting Han for Jabba when Vader called in for bounty hunters. As much as I don't want to mention the Holiday Special, Han Solo-Boba Fett was always a thing from Boba Fett's first appearance.

Yeah, I try to pretend the Holiday Special doesn't exist, so I forgot about that. And I'd like to point out that it's not canon. But fair enough, the EU was just picking up something and running with it, I guess.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I'm fine with it NOT being Fett, but rather just a clone that either A) has his memories, or B) has taken it on himself to carry on his name/legend.

All the other clones would be way older than that by this point. Fett was the only clone created to age like a normal human, so he'd be the only one to be the right age now.

It's Fett.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Also, I had the dumbest grin on my face when I realized the Tusken Raiders were always shown traveling single-file :v:

Ha, nice catch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Just wanna make an appreciation post for the aspect ratio opening up during the krayt battle. I had to rewind it during that part to watch it again because the transition was executed perfectly. I remember the same feeling during The Hunger Games Catching Fire when the AR transitioned to full IMAX at the part where Katniss rose up into the arena during the countdown. Are there any other movies or shows that have done the same thing? It's a pretty effective filmic technique to indicate poo poo's about to get real. Love that.

Christopher Nolan famously did it for The Dark Knight for the opening bank robbery scene, and a few other scenes if I remember correctly. Pretty sure he did it in Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, too.

Grand Budapest Hotel changes aspect ratio all over the place in fun ways, changing with the decade to reflect how things were filmed at that time, but I'll never recommend people watch that movie, because the aspect ratio changes are the only things I liked about it. But I do mean it does it well, focusing on the vertical more for less wide ratios. Still though, ugh that movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ooh, yeah, that's a good one. Fallout was so good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And that's fine. Personally I would have preferred a bit more emphasis on the overarching plot in the premiere of an 8 episode season, especially when it's twice as long as previous episodes.

I honestly loved it being the premiere episode. A reminder right off the bat of what this show is about. A big plot episode for the first episode might have people wanting more of that for the rest of the season, and being annoyed when it didn't happen. This sets the tone. (And was an awesome episode.) I couldn't be happier.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Yeah, I know Nolan swaps to IMAX AR for certain scenes in a few of his movies, but they're all—to my knowledge—hardcuts from traditional wide AR to the IMAX/open matte AR. Mandalorian and Catching Fire both open up the AR with a slow transition that plays off the energy/tension of the scene playing out; that's what I'm referring to.

[Edit] oh yeah, forgot about the transition in Fallout. Slowly opening the AR like that works so well as like a set piece indicator.

Oh, sorry, I missed that you were referring to the "opening up" part.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IT BURNS posted:

(just like it would be weird if Han busted out Wookie, it was very out of place)

You know he did that in Solo, right? Like, it was kind of broken, but he still knew it.

edit: Unless that’s the joke.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 30, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hexate posted:

I will feel so cheated if Cobb's inevitable return doesn't also involve a syndicate of Walton Goggins, Jere Burns, and Ian McShane.

Don’t you dare put the thought of Ian McShane in Star Wars into my brain. Don’t you do that. Don’t give me hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

I've literally never thought about him possibly having it to get out of the trash compactor. Is he carrying it on the stormtrooper utility belt? Or did he leave it on the Falcon?

I assume he left it on the Falcon because he couldn't figure out how to carry it while posing as a Stormtrooper? Like, it would stick out just hanging on the belt. I guess he could have put it in that pack thingie, but he probably just wouldn't have bothered, since he was still training with it.

But yeah, in hindsight, he really should have found a way to bring it along. Could have come in handy in the trash compactor. But no way he could have known that when he was putting on the Stormtrooper gear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

If Luke was like me he wouldn't have even thought the lightsaber would be handy in a situation like that. It wasn't until that scene in the beginning of Phantom Menace where they melt through the security door that I had considered lightsabers could do that.

You wouldn't have thought of cutting a hole in the door? I'm not talking about Qui-Gon melting the blast doors. I'm talking literally cutting a circle. Or maybe trying to cut the lock or something. If I was locked in a room, and had a laser sword, I surely would have tried something.

But again, I get why he didn't bring it with him. It's not like he knew he'd be locked in the trash compactor.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo this would have been so terrible. Glad someone had the sense to scrap this idea. And makes me wonder if TLJ's joke about "the Force is about more than levitating rocks" is a low-key dig at Abrams.

There's no evidence that Johnson asked him to remove that though (Johnson has only said he asked Abrams to have Rey take R2 with her instead of BB-8), just that Abrams originally thought of ending the movie that way, and at some point scrapped it. And, I don't know, I personally don't think you can fault a person for their ideas that they agree are bad and eventually scrap. Come up with an idea, write it out, realize it's bad, cut it, whatever, no big deal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spookydonut posted:

I will never not remember this when watching this scene now, thank you.

It really is spectacular.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo that episode ruled. Seeing Bo-Katan made my loving week! And watching 4 Mandos lay waste to a squad of Stormtroopers was just...sigh. Wonderful. And I was waiting for her to name drop Ahsoka just to finally get that confirmation, and we got it.

Also, Titus Welliver in this episode brings the Deadwood actor count this season up to 3, yes?

Of course, now I need to get ready for a bunch of my friends and family to ask me who Bo-Katan is. I swear, I'm the god drat Star Wars whisperer every week when this show is on.

I love it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I had apparently blocked this scene from my memory, way to gently caress it up George

The "there I fixed it" explanation is that the prequels are all about the Jedi being wrong, and facing consequences for being wrong about everything. Including this. Their interpretation of midichlorians is wrong, and Yoda in ESB has come to realize what the Force actually is.

But the simpler explanation is that George hosed it up. You can believe whichever you'd like.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, since the good doctor is a genetist I wouldn't be surprised if what they are doing in that base are test runs with M-blood transfusions to see if the receiver can survive and develop force powers; maybe with some genetic alterations to make it stick. Since Gideon is such a dweeb, he probably wants to get some force lightning to go with the saber.

Oh I have no doubt that this is what the doctor is doing, so I don't know how this works with any interpretation of midicholrians from the prequels. Do they actually grant Force powers, and does injecting that kind of power into someone who didn't already have them wreck your body? Are they normally just attracted to people with Force powers, so does injecting them into someone without Force powers cause the midicholorians to lose their poo poo and start tearing up the body? :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Phylodox posted:

Stick with Arrow. Katrina Law. Bam.

I...god dammit, now I'm mad that this won't happen.

IT BURNS posted:

I actually thought that Carl Weathers overacted more than Gina Carano underacted, FWIW.

This was true in season 1 as well. I love Carl Weathers, but he's playing it for the back row in every scene, even when it doesn't call for it. Though in a way I find funny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sticklefifer posted:

I like how this episode continued the trope of important Imperial controls being on an extremely precarious thin ledge.

With no guard rails, even!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

Maybe this is how Ahsoka dies.

I'm gonna be pretty surprised if they went through the trouble of bringing Ahsoka into live action, and casting a big name movie actress to play her, just to kill her off. No way Disney doesn't want to roll the Mando popularity into something else with Ahsoka.

I doubt she stays around on this show, mind you. She's too much of stakes increase. But her own spinoff, either in live action, or an animated show with the added exposure of Mando behind it, would make a lot of sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Erev posted:

I'm actually more excited about the Dark Troopers than Ahsoka (I loving hate grey jedi and most other force spinoffs - though Ahsoka had her occasional decent moment).

Ahsoka isn't a grey Jedi, though? She's 100% a light side user who left the Jedi organization because they treated her like poo poo. But she doesn't gently caress around with the dark side at all. My understanding of grey Jedi is that they experiment with both the light and dark side without becoming "corrupted" by the dark side. That's not Ahsoka at all. She's just a light side force user with no formal organization, except when she works with the Rebels (or when she went back and worked with the Republic again at the end of the Clone Wars, but didn't officially rejoin the Jedi).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

This was the only music from any of the recent films that stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

Yeah, this is great, but I also love The Jedi Steps from TFA (even if it's short). Both actually felt like something new. March of the Resistance was pretty good, but didn't feel too original.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Herostratus posted:

Out of genuine curiosity, how come the original trilogy had none of these issues? At least tESB and RotJ must have faced executive meddling.

ESB was over budget and went over deadline all the time. Lucas almost went bankrupt over it, and he was constantly pissed at Kurshner for it. Kurshner did not give a gently caress. For ROTJ, Lucas hired someone he could easily control so that wouldn't happen again.

edit: Even then, ROTJ faced lost of "executive meddling". From Lucas himself, who decided to condense 4 movies into 1, and then drastically change the script near shooting, cutting out the capital city, cutting out a whole 3rd Death Star, cutting out a lava throne room, and ghost Yoda and Obi-Wan helping Luke fight the Emperor. Crazy poo poo went down for the OT.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 23, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Herostratus posted:

Thanks all, I guess I should amend my question to "how come the original trilogy faced so much executive meddling and yet managed to actually be great?"

You still largely had one person, Lucas, deciding what the series would be about, instead of a new person making each movie be about whatever they wanted. That can work for a series with no end in sight, or where each movie is supposed to stand on it's own. But it's an odd way to make a planned "trilogy". "This is the first movie of our trilogy!" "Cool, what's next?" "Oh, I have no idea, I'm out of here."

Lucas had other people come in and (largely) write the scripts for ESB and ROTJ, but he still oversaw the process. Leigh Brackett, who wrote the first draft for ESB, didn't even know Vader was going to be Luke's father (and died before the second draft), because she included a scene where ghost Anakin showed up on Dagobah. Then Lucas came in and adjusted course a bit. So you had one person deciding where the series was going, even if they changed their mind as they went.

I like the sequel trilogy more than most people on SA, but I still think it's downright silly they didn't have someone in charge of the overall story the whole time. I like the movies on their own, but even I have to admit they don't really work together.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 23, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sydin posted:

And that was after Lucas had already fired another editor because he told Lucas his edit was poo poo and refused to cut the movie the way George wanted it.

If you learn about the pre-production for the OT what you come out learning is that while Lucas created an incredible story framework and had a genius eye for pushing the envelope of special effects, he was also a terrible director, a terrible editor, and a terrible script writer. The OT is a direct result of Lucas ultimately leaning on others to cover those weaknesses to lift up his vision into something extraordinary. The PT is a direct result of Lucas telling all those people to take a hike and trying to write, direct, and dictate the edits all by himself.

Well the thing about the PT is that he tried to get other people to direct them, but no one would bite. I think it's probably because he went after his big name friends like Steven Spieberg and Ron Howard, but they all told him they wouldn't because they were "his movies". (They were probably worried about loving them up and ruining their careers.) Which is especially funny considering he only directed one of the OT.

That being said, I think he felt kind of forced into directing the PT, at which point he figured, well, if I'm going to do this, I'm doing it exactly how I want to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Has the Battle of Jakku happened by the time this show is set?

Yes. Battle of Jakku happens about 1 year after Endor, and this takes place around 5 years after Endor, so 4 years after that. Roughly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

skasion posted:

Because you clicked

To be fair, I clicked because the link here didn't have a title, and it was kind of hard to even tell from the URL what exactly was being talked about other than Mace and Skywalker...yeah okay.

But anyway, if I saw that on Twitter with the actual title, I would have said, "Nah, that's bullshit" and moved on. I only clicked here because there was no info to go on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

God dammit. You beat me to this post.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cage Kicker posted:

So far it was just Windu and Fett that broke the meme "nobody who ever 'fell to their death' in Star Wars actually dies." Now it's just Mace. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see Samuel L Jackson in a cameo. The Mando crew loves some memes.

I was about to say that Windu would be one hell of an rear end in a top hat for sitting everything out this whole time if he was alive, but, well, Yoda.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sydin posted:

Wasn't Windu's whole deal in the EU that he could channel his anger and briefly tap into dark side power without falling to it, or some poo poo? You'd think that guy would have a bone to pick with Anakin.

Well, first off, that would be non-canon EU at this point. But even then, that sounds dangerously like Grey Jedi bullshit, who could use the Dark Side without being "corrupted" by it. Which is silly.

I thought Mace Windu's whole deal was that he was THE BEST LIGHTSABER DUELIST EVER!!! or something like that. I never actually read any of his EU stuff.

edit: I guess being non-canon EU doesn't really matter for this show at this point, so disregard that part.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

skasion posted:

Windu can’t be a force ghost, he died before he could learn how to exist beyond death

So did Qui-Gon, but he figured it out. Maybe he found Windu on the other side and helped him, like the original script for ROTJ mentioned Obi-Wan and Yoda did for Anakin (otherwise, when did Anakin figure that out?).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

skasion posted:

Anakin intuited his way to it because he died with an act of self-sacrificing love. (ghost qui gon probably helped him also)

Had no one else ever done this before? (ghost Qui-Gon helping him was my original point.) But this is like in Harry Potter where Harry was the only person to ever survive the killing curse because his mother sacrificed herself to save her son. Had no witch ever done that before? That seems...highly unlikely.

skasion posted:

Windu lived telling Qui Gon to suck it and died trying to murder an old man who he thought was too weak to resist him

This is a really good point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

skasion posted:

Apparently not, when Obi-wan and Yoda find out about it in ROTS they’re all surprised and poo poo

No, I know no one else had ever become a Force ghost. I meant had no one else ever, in your words, "died with an act of self-sacrificing love"? That seems unlikely.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sydin posted:

I don't remember if KOTOR has been officially decanonized or not, but if not then force ghosts are old hat, Ajunta Pall shows up as a force ghost and he's already ancient at the time of KOTOR, which is 2000 years before ANH.

I think the "official" stance on KOTOR is, "It's so long ago, we're going to go ahead and not rule on whether it's canon or not."

And as I posted on the previous page, I wasn't talking about whether or not Force ghosts had happened before, but I realize now that I wasn't being clear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought everything was put into the "legends" bucket and only things explicitly referenced in new material was considered new canon.

Technically yes, but I remember a comment from someone at Lucasfilm from years ago saying something like what I quoted around the time of the buyout, but don't ask me to look it up now. Basically, they have no plans to do anything with that era, so gently caress it, it's canonish until they decide it's not, I guess?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I believe he was originally meant to appear as a force ghost during the Mortis episodes.

Which is weird, because the idea of Dark Side Force Ghosts just makes no sense. The Dark Side is all about delaying death in any way possible, as where the Light Side embraces death when it needs to come and finding a way to live beyond it.

I've never been exactly sure what the Darth Bane scene in The Clone Wars was supposed to be. It was kind of like a dream by Yoda, but then not really?

edit: Oh, right, as nine-gear crow says, isn't canon Revan turned back to the Light by the end? If he was meant to show up as a Light Side ghost (which I don't think is the case), then, uh...ignore this whole post.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 24, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

No he was meant to appear as a Dark Side Force Ghost. So yeah, it basically goes against Lucas's concept that Force Ghosts are a Light Side only AND the fact that Revan is canonically* redeemed in every post-KOTOR depiction of him. KOTOR II is the only exception because it starts with the assumption that Revan went evil again (and was a woman to boot) because save data continuity wasn't a thing back then, but you're quickly given the chance to set the record straight* with dialog choices depended on how you played KOTOR I.

Well that's just dumb.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Iron Crowned posted:

Darth Nihilus is the best sith :colbert:

NIHILUS MUST EAT FORCE. SO HUNGRY. WHAT IS JEDI VS SITH?

I really miss those “Ask a Sith/Jedi Anything” threads from, like, a decade ago. Does anyone else remember those? Whoever was answering as Nihilus was funnier than I could ever be. I should get some posters together and do another one of those.

Are they archived somewhere?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

I'm not ready for Friday's episode. I briefly saw a tweet linking an article that allegedly shows how Rosario Dawson looks as Ahsoka and I closed my browser so fast lmao.

Well I’m ready. I was kind of hoping they’d release it today as a holiday treat, while not at all expecting it.

Bring Ahsoka Black Friday on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

well I now have all of the legacy era books on my kindle. drat I have a lot of trash reading ahead of me if I want to.

...all of them?

May god have mercy on your soul.

Also, don’t read Children of the Jedi. Please trust me.