Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Baby Yoda was a girl up until the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

I’m reading some websites and Bo Katan and Ahsoka are apparently in other media.

I heard Bo knows baseball.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It looks nothing like a civic. If anything, it’s a space Winnebago. It even has the same outline profile as the Eagle 5 from Spaceballs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crosspost from the Spaceballs thread.

ruddiger posted:

The Mandalorian’s ship, the Razor Crest, has massive Eagle-5 energy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

All of the nerdiest corners of the internet getting super pissed off at the lightsaber cross guard in the first TFA trailer was really funny.

I mean, the guy with lightsaber knee pads beat Kylo to the punch, there’s always been silly looking lightsabers.

E: ah jeez

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just a reminder that The Mandalorian establishes Barf’s species from Spaceballs as canon.

ruddiger posted:

A bunch of Mogs showed up terrorizing some village in the third fourth episode of the Mandalorian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bulbous Fett

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I just realized there's a chance Bill Burr, who was Not A Stormtrooper, wiseass will say this to Boba next episode/at some point, and I'm here for it

Maybe he’ll do a mocking impression of his accent like he did in s1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It looked like he popped one of the stormtroopers in the dick in the last episode too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait for this show to bring back Greedo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Just as Boba wears his father's armor, Grogu will wear Din's.

Also:

Grogu's going totally put that steel ball through someone's head using the Force, isn't he?

I was telling my roommate Baby Yoda’s going to go all magneto with the ball bearings once he gets his toy back.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

not to worry, yaddle said.

on the pill, she was.

Is Yaddle still considered in continuity? Ashoka said she only knew of one other like Baby Yoda, so she never knew Yaddle even tho she was on the council? Wait, was Yaddle on the council?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Jesus christ star wars is racist some times, watching rebels they meet a genosian and dub him click clack because no one understands what he's saying

I wouldn’t trust Star Wars as much as I do if it didn’t realistically portray how racist humans are. Bill Burr’s character in The Mandalorian is as space racist as they get and everyone loved him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yes. I know. That's what I'm saying. The first lead latinx character in a star wars film, Poe, introduced in TFA, was post-facto deemed to be a drug dealer. This happened in TRoS.

Powerful Jimmy Smitts erasure going on here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

For all we know it's a public works project for which the prisoners receive fair compensation.

lol I get Star Wars is supposed to be a fantasy but c’mon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

This is why he’s banned from discussing Star Wars.

But to be fair, this is what the Cinema Discusso Star Wars threads are like. Almost entirely extrapolating from incomplete or nonexistent data to form grudges against vaguely depicted systems of government.

Weird thoughts

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The posters arguing that the character who we were specifically told was imprisoned and then later shown to be imprisoned and forced to labor in a scrapyard was in fact free and just being guarded by a hostile droid are dumber than literally ANYTHING jivjov has ever said ITT and you should be ashamed of how bad you are at watching TV

jivjov being the voice of reason in the Star Wars thread was not on my 2020 predictions card.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s just a western, you know, the era where Americans applauded their acts of genocide against the indigenous population. Quit sapping the fun out of my genocide.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah and video games cause violence.

False equivalency. What this should say is video games reveal personal ideology. If you don’t believe that all you have to do is listen to an open mic in a server lobby or watch any of those YouTube videos of people playing poo poo like Red Dead Redemption only to feed women suffragettes to crocs or trying to deliver npcs to the KKK.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

I used to go around and blow up 100s of civilians in GTA for the gently caress of it, because it was funny. I was one of millions of people that did this.

Right, and “millions” of people don’t think of the era of the western as an era of genocide because of popular media. Thanks for proving my point.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

Thanks for contributing to this by watching western popularizing media known as Star Wars

Oh no! Someone critiqued my western media! Time to cry about ethical consumption under capitalism I guess!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, if we’re gonna get a redemption arc for a former SS trooper who committed war crimes and now has to struggle with the inner demons that comes with that line of work, I’m glad they got someone like Bill Burr who won’t shy away from the ugliness of a character like that. The little otherisms sprinkled in his dialogue (referring to another culture as “you people,” making fun of other race’s accents, etc.) really sells the ideology that goes along with a character like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

My point was not to discourage picking up on deeper themes if you so choose, but piling on someone who disagrees with such well reasoned retorts such as "you're stupid and fascist" is not productive.

Quote the post you’re talking about where a goon accused another goon of being a fascist in this thread please.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

I'll say it again, the state is more inclined to come down harder on those that harms its operatives (or enforcers) or its enemies will prey on its citizens and the citizens will look for another form of leadership.

Colonel Southern Fried Genocide got it wrong though, people aren't looking for authority, people look for security. Totalitarians and the fascist types always get that wrong.

I’ll say it again, please post where he called a specific person a fascist.

Saying a phrase like “governments need to instill fear in order to control the people” sounds fascist is just calling a sentence out for what it is.

And you’re still getting it wrong. People aren’t looking to totalitarians for authority or security. People want totalitarians to gently caress off. Just because the new political party is full of nice guys who hate space hitler doesn’t mean they get to be morally superior when they start refilling the space gulags for the same offenses the previous administration was filling the space gulags for. Practicing totalitarianism to assert dominance of a new political entity still makes that political entity totalitarian by definition.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 13, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

Fine, the New Republic are space nazis for sending Bill Burr to hard labor for killing a corrections officer.

You’re still missing the point.

Unless you consider the American government analogous to nazis (which I do since we influenced their ideology, put American people in concentration camps, and pardoned the worst of their war criminals when the war was over, not to mention the nation’s foundation built on the genocide of the indigenous population and the continued breaking of treaties with those nations throughout the years up until the present), in which case, yes, you finally got it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sankara posted:

Burr says "oh my god" at one point. I feel like that's the first time someone has said "god" in star wars? i'm probably wrong, just thought that was interesting

also thought it was interesting the villagers were humans but the locals attacking were all aliens

Han Solo tells someone he’ll see them in hell in Empire Strikes Back.

Conversely, Barf recites the Lord’s Prayer in Spaceballs as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dave Syndrome posted:

In other news, regarding the Jedi that's going to show up:
It's going to be a stern old black man with prosthetic hands.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cage Kicker posted:

If one of those cruisers has 750 crew then Moff Gideon can't possibly recognize every single person by face, can he?

Maybe be mouthed off to him before so knew he’d be recognized.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope for the love of god they don’t have luke pop up in this show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best thing about the ending was the terrible deep fake cgi makes all the fanboys who complained about the cg in the prequels look like hypocrites.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All the shots where they cropped him from the neck up were hilarious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

Well if anyone knows about surprising parentage, it's Mark Hamill.

I think you’re confusing him with his son, even though they both tried to kylo the kid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:xd:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Luke would definitely be the type of weirdo who tries to bang his space aunt.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know Luke couldn’t hug aunt beru too long without popping a boner.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You saw how exited he was after kissing his sister, and aunt beru isn’t even blood related.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Grogu handled Duin ripping his face off better than I would expect based on my toddler's reaction to removing hats

Maybe grogu could always see his face by using the force.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Gideon was wearing a tie pilot uniform, not Vader cosplay.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Imagine getting mad and scolding people over Jar Jar jokes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wouldn’t mind a Lando series just as long as Glover can still have time to make new seasons of Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

He tried to kill himself

I said jokes about Jar Jar, not jokes about the actor.

The actor who played Jar Jar has made Jar Jar jokes himself. You’re conflating those who make Jar Jar jokes with those who hate the idea of minorities ruining their franchise because of their fear of otherism. There’s a huge difference between pointing out Jar Jar is a silly character (he’s the comic sidekick, he’s supposed to be silly) and being viciously disparaging because the idea of a character like that offends their western sensibilities.

It’s not a surprise most Star Wars fans (or fans of western pop culture media in general, really) can’t differentiate between the two.

E: Mandalorian s1 literally makes a Jar Jar joke. Did you bring up the actor’s attempted suicide after that episode aired?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 21, 2020