Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Back to Tatooine. Smallest galaxy in the universe.

"It will sense the vibrations of your ship." :rolleyes: also I'm glad the super obvious plan of feed it a pack animal with explosives was the correct solution. How is mando now melted after being covered in the stomach acid or whatever? I can understand the armor not melting because it's space magic, but not all of him is covered.

As an episode, it was fine. As the premiere, that was weak as poo poo. I don't know how you have a double length episode and not advance the plot at all, but they pulled it off. It felt like a filler episode that should've gone somewhere in the middle of the season.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

That wasn't Boba Fett at the end, was it? Jesus this is some fan-pandering poo poo.

It was.

e: comedy option: It was Ming-Na Wen's character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

"Filler episode" get the hell out of here with that poo poo.

That was an amazing welcome back to the series and I cannot wait for more. This is through and through a true western with new adventures every episodes. If you didn't figure that out last season then you are too far gone. Who gives a poo poo about super arching plots.

What was up with the pearl? I haven't read too much EU stuff outside of the Zahn trilogy and the new CW/Rebels stuff.

Every episode last season advanced the overarching plot in some ways, except for ep5 and maybe 6.

It's a filler episode in the sense that it's completely disconnected from everything else and could probably be put anywhere in the season without losing or gaining anything.

e: It wasn't a bad episode, it was just a bad episode to use as the premiere of the season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 30, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

I said this in the last thread and I'll say it again: not every TV show needs to be "prestige" with every episode being drama and plot twists. Not only because it's easy for that kind of show to start breaking down (because it's almost impossible to plot things out for dozens of episodes in advance and eventually you have to start getting into asspulls or repeating plots and character beats), but because that kind of show also makes it hard to just be fun. This is Star Wars, man. You get the overarching plot but you're also here to see a badass in gleaming silver armor fly around on his jetpack and shoot a bunch of people, or get into dogfights with his cool spaceship.

And that's fine. Personally I would have preferred a bit more emphasis on the overarching plot in the premiere of an 8 episode season, especially when it's twice as long as previous episodes.

big laffo to the bolded part though.

e:vvv that's a good point re: setting expectations

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 30, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

New Mandalorian owns

Did Boba Fett find Melinda May in the desert?

Are they gonna be a murder friends duo?

He probably found her corpse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spider design was great.

Forget Timothy Olyphant, I want frog mom to join the crew.

That was definitely the weakest episode of the show.

Zebulon posted:

I'm not quite sure what to think of the wee lil' Yodlet eating several of the frog lady's unfertilized eggs and it just being played for laughs. That seems kind of awkward, y'know?

:agreed:

Captain Splendid posted:

The atmospheric chase looked really good but I wasn't sold on the sublight travel between star systems or "Hey, fella, let's save your life then leave you to go gently caress yourself with a ship that's clearly not spaceworthy anymore

At least he can still collect the bounty on the 3 he put into prison :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t think too hard about eating eggs and turning into a Sith, holy crap. They’re unfertilized and clearly played up for laughs.

It was just really jarring tonally when the frog mom kept reminding everyone that it's the last of her line and she's obviously desperate to get them to the destination safely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling Din's gonna end up with a new ship before this season's over.

Hopefully it's not Slave 1 because that'd be just one fanbridge too far.

I hope it's a Millennium Falcon. :v: It was supposed to be a common ship, right? Like a space Ford Focus.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

I liked how the X-wing guys were cool in a "Don't be a moron, we could fry you in a heartbeat" kind of way. Even after Mando made their lives harder by trying to run, they still came in, saved his rear end and let him off with a warning. Presumably a lot changed in 25 years, because these guys would have eaten the First Order for breakfast with a side of ice-spider eggs.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Mando does a good job of showing the rebels as space cops that could gently caress your poo poo up and are entirely at their whim just like our real cops

It's less paperwork for them if they just leave him there to die. :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

We just did. Din encountered the two X-wing cops and left off on semi-friendly terms. They were looking for underground Imperials. You think they're not going to be factor later on when he runs into Grand Moff Darksaber again?

Maybe, maybe not. Moff Gideon wasn't hiding from anything or anyone. He was out there in full imperial regalia with his literal stormtroopers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I figured they were running down the Crest since it could have been the Twi’lek he got out of the prison barge, not Din

Then they sure did a half assed job by not even searching his ship.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fartknocker posted:

I’ve been pounding the table for a Rogue Squadron show for 20+ years. Or Wraith Squadron. Hell, you can basically reuse half the plots from the old Black Sheep Squadron show, just replace F4U’s with T-65’s.

They can call it The Suicide Squadron and each episode is a pilot hyperdriving their ship into an Imperial capital ship :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What could The Child eat in tomorrow's episode that would upset y'all more than some unfertilized eggs?

Ya Mando should've just told that lady her concerns were stupid and hit the hyperdrive. Just lay more eggs stupid lady.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I bet you didn't like being eaten did you Yooda?

Haha so Mando is an orthodox mandalorian.

Best episode of the season.

For those of us who haven't watched the cartoons, want to share with the rest of us what Bo-Katan's deal is?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr.Radical posted:

That kind of reminds me, what happened to the sharpshooter character who showed up in the first season? She survived and it looked like she would show up again but never did.

Why do people think she survived? She was face down in the sand for at least half a day without moving. It would be a House of Cards level asspull to reveal that she was still alive(a similar thing happened to a char on that show).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She had moved slightly in between being shot Calican and being discovered by whoever found her and her surviving isn't really any dumber than Darth Maul or Boba Fett surviving their original fates.

You say that like those 2 examples aren't also very dumb. I mean sure it's possible, it would just be very stupid.

e: vvv that's fair

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 13, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:tipshat: Thanks pals.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1325907285424689152

TOO SOON

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robot Style posted:

I'm assuming it's just coincidence, but it's interesting how each episode of this season mirrors something from the same numbered episode of season 1:

Episode 1 - Mando teams up with a character who looks like a more famous ESB bounty hunter, and the episode ends with a major character reveal.
Episode 2 - Episode opens with Mando getting ambushed by people who want to take the child. He does an egg-based sidequest, and his ship gets wrecked at some point.
Episode 3 - Mando does battle against Imperials and is saved by other mandalorians.

The ep 2 analogy doesn't really work. The space cops wanted Mando, not the child. Even 3 is pushing it too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pile of brown posted:

Since it's passed down by family regardless of gender it requires fansplaining about reforging it every generation

Edit: so far Mando has only had armor made of ingots, but it would be super lol if he just melted down Boba Fetts armor for patches

He should use Boba's jetpack though, since it can awkwardly fire a rocket.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Re: armor chat: I wonder why Mando’s helmet doesn’t have one of those li’l antenna things boba fett and Bo Katan’s crew have.

Probably the same reason that Din was drowning while the other mando was able to dive into the water: his helmet is just a helmet while theirs are actual fancy (and sealed) space helmets with technology like the little targeting doodad.

e: I can't remember if it was just Bo-Katan and crew that were able to use the heat vision thing or if Din could too. I can't be bothered to check so someone correct me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 15, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

The Disney canon is a little more balanced and superficial (good guys/bad guys). The original Legends canon is more than a little bit hosed up. I admit to breathing out a "Holy poo poo!" upon learning that

:staredog:

The old residential schools gambit... :canada:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Also, if you are of an age to have Thought About Star Wars before 1999 - what did you think the Clone Wars were? I figured the Emperor showed up with a whole clone army and took over the Republic.

I figured it was just clones replacing high ranking officials and manipulating policy which lead to wars. Then the jedi would go around and find clones using their mind reading and what not.

It being a literal army of clones was pretty dumb.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

How old were you when you thought of this lmao. My idea of the clone wars when I was like 10 was clone armies on both sides at war who were also in an arms race, with the turning point happening when the evil faction managed to clone "false" Jedi, forcing the real Jedi to finally join the war effort.

I think I was like 12 when ep1 came out, so my theory was definitely from before that. :v:

Why would you need clones as soldiers when you can literally build droids? That poo poo always made no sense to me, even as a kid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 16, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

piL posted:

Logistics. Clones don't need replacement parts, just food and bacta. When you get two palettes of 3mm o rings instead of one pallete of 3mm and one palette of 4mm, you're battalion is proper hosed. Since 3d printing didn't seem to exist when the prequels were made (dunno about the cartoons), you probably have to buy two droids for each one you manage to keep working in the field and the ratio will only get worse with time. All of those droids not online? Well I hope you kept all of their firmware up to date; you miss a critical patch and you'll have vulnerabilities to republic slicers or worse, compatibility issues.

Now you're flying out civillian astromech technicians from corporate to the field and that costs books bucks Dooku credits...

The logistics argument works the other way too. What if you get 2 palettes of weapons and none of food? Also it's probably easier to repair a droid than it would be to reattach a limb or fix damaged organs. Or even if it isn't just make another one? I don't see how literal cloning could be less expensive when there are literally droids of all sorts everywhere in the galaxy. At the very least it's a commonplace piece of tech, unlike cloning.

But really everyone is giving this more thought than it deserves:

skasion posted:

Lol at this guy theorycrafting while George Lucas goes “it’s a war but there’s clones”

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

If you clone a 1st generation genetic supersoldier where just one of them is the equivalent of like an entire platoon or company of droids, I think the cost efficiency would eventually lean in favor of clones, especially when the cloning process is refined to produce even better performing 2nd generation clones, 3rd generation, 4th generation, etc, at a faster rate. And then again, if somehow the ability to clone actual Jedi became possible, droids become obsolete.

skasion posted:

Lol at this guy theorycrafting while George Lucas goes “it’s a war but there’s clones”

The point is the numbers and logistics don't even matter. George certainly didn't care. How many years? decades? in advance did that one jedi master need to place the order for the clone army? And I remember a friend telling me in the cartoon they ended up with like 4 or 5mil clones ordered in total. You could barely take over a moderate sized country with so few troops, let alone a planet. But that's enough for a galactic conflict I guess :shrug:

Clones rule robots drool because George said so and that's probably as far as that thought went.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

I kinda like having the Darksaber decide who rules. We all know Mando gonna end up with it anyway when the series is ready to conclude.

:same: but Carl Weathers instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, the person who's really publicly vocal about LGBT rights is secretly beating up trans people for no reason. Definitely credible.

Maybe someone should file a similar lawsuit against you and let you fight it.

Because people have never said one thing publically while doing another privately.

:yikes: to your second line

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yooda using the force to steal some space macarons.

"There's no guardrail on this." :v:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, that was pretty whatever aside from the teases for the big season arc. Pretty much confirms that Gideon wants The Child to try and infuse himself with force powers using it's blood. How the gently caress did they completely repair the Crest in the span of a few hours though?

Space magic!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those are some 70's Cylon-rear end looking droids. They also give me serious Phase 1 Darktrooper droid vibes, so I demand a Kyle Katarn cameo as well.

Oh poo poo, what if that's who Michael Biehn is playing

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Moff Gideon. Finds something that is force sensitive only it's tiny and grows super slowly. And it won't even get that much bigger. Can't get as much precious blood as he needs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kaedric posted:

Not body-shaming but to me she looked like she gained a fair bit of non-muscular weight. Unrelated but she brought literally nothing to this episode other than poor acting, they need to recast or just stop having the character show up imo.

The line where she told them to get into the imperial transport was really poorly delivered. Surely they had a better take.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IT BURNS posted:

Episode was good, acting was okay. I actually thought that Carl Weathers overacted more than Gina Carano underacted, FWIW. The bit with the Child at the beginning was hilarious. It didn't move the plot a ton, but considering where we were in Episode 4 last season, the season is on track, comparatively.

How do you figure?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

It does seem somewhat ambiguous to me as well.

It's not ambiguous. The child is the donor. They need access to it again to get more delicious midichlorian blood.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Who played the imperial officer talking to Moff Gideon at the end of the episode? She looked super familiar but I couldn’t put my finger on where I’ve seen her before.

Phylodox posted:

And it’s cool to see Katy O’Brian again after Black Lightning and Agents of SHIELD.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh Fuuuuck. That's awesome. I knew I recognized her and again it was in the role of a smug underling to the big bad on Black Lightning too.

I hope she's just as smug on this show when it's her turn. She was a very hateable villain.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

That’s not Satine, it’s Bo-Katan, Satine’s sister. Satine is dead.

Unless...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Grogu. Everytime someone says his name it makes me chuckle because I think of Rogu from American Dad.

Otherwise it was a great episode.

He's going to have enough beskar to make a whole ship out of it by the end of season 5

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also HK-series assassin droids. And shotgun scatter blaster.

Neat episode.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed he didn't even graze her with his space shotgun. How you gonna deflect 6+ bolts at once?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Masters of Teras Kasi was the bomb, y’all.

In s3 Mando will have a 2 episode story arc where he has to fight in a tournament. The prize is even more beskar.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus even if his armor is good the entire suit isn't made of besker (yet) so it's not like he's indestructable.

Isn't it? I thought all the pieces were beskar by the end of s1.

Now granted he should be using more armor / get bigger pieces, but what he's wearing now seems to be in line with what the other mandos have been shown to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

Ahsoka said many masters trained Grogu. I wonder if Grogu had any saber training :getin:

That made me wonder a bit: did a bunch of jedi masters really train someone with the mental capacity of a toddler? Jedi really are stupid.