Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
That was kind of disappointing. They revisit the only bad first season episode for more 'member berries like, "Remember pit droids, old comedians who can't act, and hey look! the sheriff from Dead wood is using one of Anikin's pod racer engines. 'Member episode 1?" And then they go for "Also what if the Mudhorn episode again, only with a bigger monster???". I was kind of hoping that the whole "more of the same but bigger" aesthetic got banished with JJ Abrams.

I mean it wasn't terrible exactly, but it was such an uncharacteristically lackluster low effort episode I'm feeling pretty doubtful about how this season is going to go, and my eight year old on Christmas eve excitement for a new season has faded a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Cartoon Man posted:

Can’t have our hero’s fighting big monsters anymore or the show is rehash trash, got it.

Yes I said exactly that . You are the king of words.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Carteret posted:

My favorite touch was the call back to the reversing shot of the Raider attacking Luke in Episode 4 (30:50)

I may not love this episode, but that moment was so goddamn brilliant it should have it's own award category.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Tom Tucker posted:

not obvious if you're not a huge dork

Yeah. You know I watch it again and I'm thinking that my real issue with the episode has much more to do with me being a huge dork than the actual episode itself.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

teagone posted:

They're also the last eggs of an endangered species. That's kinda hosed lol. Didn't the frog lady explicitly say they were the last of her people?

Nope. She was talking about her family line. It was more "they'll be no one to carry on the family name" than baby Yoda committing genocide. It was funny, but maybe it's because I've had two kids and have first hand witnessed plenty of messed up poo poo kids do before they've honed their code of "How hosed up is too hosed up?"

My youngest was totally baffled to find out that smashing cartons of eggs on the kitchen floor was not okay because how could something so fun that makes such a cool noise be bad.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

drat. She blocked me in under two minutes!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Vintersorg posted:

Sedaris rules. Anyone against her... just what the heck man!

I've like her in everything else but I can't stand her hyper hammy delivery of every line she has on this show, up until this episode. This time I thought she was kinda perfect.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lego sets are always designed with play features and interactivity in mind. Slapping an escape pod on the top doesn't mean poo poo, especially when it was being designed a year ago based on the concept art for the first series a long time before they started working on the second.

I dunno. The escape pod is on the HasLab Razorcrest too. And goddamn I wish I knew that was in the pipeline. Order cut off is in three days and I just put the last 400 bux down on my baby Yoda pre-order.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
That spider chase was so well done. I'm old and tired enough that I reserve most of my empathy for IRL folks and it's rare that I white knuckle my way through media, but damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat through that whole sequence.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Vintersorg posted:

What is all that crap? gently caress, I hate fan fiction on how you can do things better than what we got here. TVIV does this all the time for shows that are nowhere near "bad" or "im gonna skip it next time!!".

The well is poisoned from people wanting epic Game of Thrones style arcs. The same bullshit plagued the Raised by Wolves thread with people coming in on how they would have done things so much better instead of going along for the ride.

E: Do you also think Han Solo coming in at the last minute to save Luke was bullshit? He comes in, shoots the other TIE's away then flies off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcPOd28oN0

Up until this point he was shown to not give a poo poo and hosed off. Just like the X-Wing pilots here - well, we lost him, gently caress. Then it turns out no - they didnt gently caress off, they kept searching and saved them.

Yeah the X-Wing bitching is weird. It was pretty obvious to me that the space cops egos were bruised by Mando escaping them them. They kept looking for him even when they put together that he'd been at the crime scene but probably didn't do the crime. Then so they could unbruise their egos they tracked him down all like "Ha! Nobody ditches the space cops! We're gonna let you go with a warning, but get your tags registered. Good luck getting out of that ditch, bitch." Saying that them showing up with clearly sated reasons at the start and showing up again for obvious reasons at the end is deus ex machina just shows a lack of understanding of what the term means.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Godammit, talk about whiplash. On one hand this episode was flawless and may be my favorite so far. On the other hand it really drove home the point that they intend to let Feloni turn the show into a "I get to bring my goofy cartoon into the real world" vanity project. I never would have believed it, but I'm starting to think that they may be able to do that without the show becoming terrible.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

teagone posted:

Alternatively, leave Han Solo alone and let BDH direct an Aphra series.

I'd rather watch Han Solo fight giant space otters than get an Aphra series. I believed the goons saying it's good, spent a bunch of money on the books, and holy crap they're terrible.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Solo was a good film that could’ve been great

Thank you. I feel so much less alone.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

teagone posted:

Solo would have been better if they replaced Han, Chewie, and Lando with new characters.

I went to see it begrudgingly, thinking of it as The Chewbacca Movie featuring some guy he knew before he met Han Solo that I was determined to hate. To my surprise the guy playing Han wasn't awesome, but he wasn't terrible, and Danny Glover was perfect. It's a shame it won't get any sequels, because it at least proved that in the right hands it could have been great.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah, I know Din probably spent most of his time at Mando Church but he needs to stop being such a rube and trusting everyone he meets at a cantina while wearing beskar from head to toe. At least paint it or something so he doesn’t look like a walking Tiffany’s.

I think that's part of the point though. You don't get Beskar armor unless you're badass enough to earn it, and you don't wear it unless you're badass enough to keep it. As functional as it is it's also a symbolic "come at me bro" to the universe, and if you can't prove you deserve to have it you won't be keeping it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

poo poo. I don't know why I always call him by his fathers name.

CubanMissile posted:

Solo was the best movie since ROTJ.

I liked R1 a bunch, but I'm gonna agree with you on this.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CubanMissile posted:

That makes sense for a bounty hunter but it’s still kind of a dumb way to do things when:

1. What’s left of your people are secretive and in hiding.
2. Your current mission is such that you want to draw as little attention as possible.

Well yeah, but in what universe does logic ever apply to a fundamentalist?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

skasion posted:

Where’s the best place to get into the Dr Aphra stuff

She's okay in the Vader comic, but don't spend money on the actual Aphra comic that spun off of it if you can borrow it. She should translate to a live action show well if the people working on The Mandalorian do it, but the comic is awkwardly bad.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, if you have the time and interest to read comics, Marvel Unlimited is, like, a ridiculously good value for your money.

Hell yes. I rarely read comics anymore, but Marvel Unlimited is still the biggest bang for your buck subscription service on my very long list of subscription services.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Smythe posted:

Many ppl itt talking about star war resistance and rebels but I was under the impression that these were literally tv shows for young children like sesame street etc is this not the case? ??

I tried watching them a few times but hated them as being bad cartoons for very young kids, and figured the love was from adults who watched them when they were young wearing nostalgia goggles. I tried watching from the watchlist people keep posting, and was surprised that while the dialog was still super cringey it was entertaining enough. It's definitely not for the Sesame Street demographic, more for 10 to 12 year olds.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
The baby stuff was great. I was having flashbacks of helping my stepdad work on his hobby cars as a child because my arms were small enough to reach that bolt he'd dropped down on the exhaust manifold or wherever. There should be a five minute long edit of this episode that's just the baby scenes though, because it felt pretty more of the same.

I may be selling the episode short actually. The chase was good. It was nice seeing the ship fixed and Mando flying like a boss. It was nice to get confirmation that Gideon's plan involves Jedi breeding. I liked the Dark Trooper / Cylon reveal. Maybe I'm being a big baby, but Gina Carano really put me off the episode. I can usually separate a lovely person from the part they are playing to a point. But then there are people like Kevin Spacey that I just can't watch anymore. I guess it's because she's a lovely person but also a lovely actor so it gets harder to roll with "She's poison on the street, but okay on the show". I just was so irritated every second she was on screen I just couldn't enjoy the episode very much. I super hope she just goes away.

Oh, also Carl Wethers was goddam great this week. I love how he's dropped the smarmy used car dealer boisterousness now that his day job isn't working the crowd at the bounty hunter convention, and he's moved on to being a sincere community leader / builder. Mando should hire him to be a live in nanny.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Potentially Dark Troopers or whatever they were called; the original battle droids from Dark Forces.

Wait. It's been a while so don't call me dumb, but I thought the Dark Forces dark troopers were guys in suped up stormtrooper power armor. Were they actually droids?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm nearly 40, there's zero childhood nostalgia on Rebels for me :lol: The horrible Ewoks cartoon is my nostalgia show. Try to watch cartoons like that with the idea that it isn't and will never be for you, it's just a cartoon for children and will be silly.

I dunno how to explain it, I just sometimes like to watch stuff that's a not so "mature".

Oh sorry, I guess I kind of missed the point I was trying to make. I was just saying that following the watch list that cuts out some of the weaker bits and makes the story more linear, the show is good fun and my fist impression of it was unfair. I meant to backtrack on how dismissive I've been of TCW in the past. I didn't intend to sound like I was still bitching.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. I remember having to jumpstart a car and my dad saying don't let the wires touch, so of course I immediately turned around and went "What?" and clacked the cable heads together.

Ahaha. Same thing happened to me. I don't know how young I was, but it scared the poo poo out of me so badly I refused to touch jumper cables again until I was fifteen or sixteen.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dammit. You had me all excited until I found out I can't play it yet. Now you have me re-installing X-Wing alliance to scratch that itch.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

nine-gear crow posted:

If you have the Steam or GOG versions of it, you should check out The X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project. It's a constantly-updating mod project that aims to bring XWA into the 21st century, and has put out some really cool stuff lately.

Oh my. Thank you. So much.

I knew they've been working on an updated version of OG X-Wing, but I had no clue this exists!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

fartknocker posted:

If you haven’t tried it, the new Squadrons game is quite good. They’re also adding the B-wing and TIE Defender around Christmas!

Oh I know. It's the first thing that made me feel okay about dropping all that cash on VR. Didn't know about the B-Wing, though. That's been my favorite since the first time I saw it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an oculus quest 2 and a flight stick next year to go with the PC I'm currently building, entirely for the purpose of disappearing into star wars cockpits forever

I downloaded it at like 3AM on a night my wife had to go to work in the morning. I'm in the middle of living room in my office chair with all the poo poo on my head giggling like and idiot so loud that she hears me over her white noise fan in the bedroom at the opposite side of the house. She stumbles in very pissed off all like "What the Hell are you doing?" and all I could do was laugh like a kid on Christmas morning and say "I'm in a loving TIE fighter!"

I spent a solid half hour just flying around in practice mode just checking out the cockpits. It's such a blast.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Hazo posted:

God dammit I’m buying a Quest now you rear end in a top hat

You're welcome!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xealot posted:

I don't know how you all handle that. I have a Quest, and anything not room-scale makes me feel motion sick as gently caress, instantly. Piloting a TIE Fighter in VR sounds like a nightmare.

(Room-scale is awesome, though. I wish omni treadmills were a thing normal people could buy.)

I wonder if that's the main reason VR hasn't become ubiquitous. I have never experienced any degree of motion sickness and it gives me no problems. Anyone I've had over to try it out that gets even a little motion sick, like one guy I know who only has a problem being on boats, gets crazy nauseous using VR.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Pops Mgee posted:

What the hell does “serving during Alderaan” entail? Was that guy just on patrol like when Milhouse was a security guard?

What happened?
Well it started to blow up, then it blew up. :v:

It means he was actively serving in the rebellion somewhere at a time when they suffered a catastrophic loss. Like how a WWII vet could say "I was serving during Pearl Harbor" even though he was posted in Europe on the day. It's basically "I was on the team when we got kicked in the nuts".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Super 8 was an exercise in JJ proving to the world that he can do a great job of mimicking the style of actual talented directors in order to film a scene, yet have no idea how to create the connective narrative to put the scenes together in any sort of coherent or interesting manner. He's basically a very slow parrot.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CelticPredator posted:

My sideshow baby yoda is about to ship!!

Dammit. You got me all excited, but I ordered the one with all the props and multiple ear sculpts and that version isn't out until sometime between December and goddam May.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Now that I realize the Clone Wars cartoon is actually good once you learn which episodes to skip, my forehead is gonna explode if 3 AM doesn't hurry up and get here.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Once again this season they do an episode that I kinda hated the first watch, but totally loved on the second watch. Grogu is a perfect name because it sounds like it could be from an awesome 80's barbarian based Saturday morning cartoon, like "Grogu and the Thunder Pirates of Metalslam" or something. Grogu is a bad name because anime people are bending reality into new dimensions trying to pretend it's an homage to their favorite awful thing.

Also, how is it with the EU stuff that everyone agrees it's 95% garbage, but no one agrees on which 5% is good?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Desperado Bones posted:

Yes, glad Im not the only one who thought of that. because indeed is weird the idea that several jedi masters where training a baby.

Now I wanna know who rescued him from being a victim of Anakin. Who was keeping him hidden?

That crossed my mind for a second, but I landed on a string of Jedi baby sitters encouraging a force sensitive toddler to stack blocks and use shape sorters with his mind. I mean it's like teaching a child to walk or read or use the potty. You start early and small.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Moon Slayer posted:

I legit, 100% thought that they were supposed to be scars. :shrug:

I dunno. I mean people get wrinkles on their knuckles or the inside of your elbows because that's stuff bends. I'll let it slide as age and a lack of collagen. It was a hell of a lot better than those stiff rubbery head tentacles* on season 1 Twi'leks.

*Yes I know they're called lekku, but I'm pretending to not be that much of a nerd.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I don't mind Mandos armor being blaster proof, but considering 40% of his body is just covered by Dickies™ coveralls he needs to take a hit once in a while to keep the stakes higher. As it is there's too much of a Dungeons and Dragons armored bikini thing going on.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Cheesus posted:

And then after seeing a job through you can go back and take back a delivery because you have mortal qualms about it.

And not even give back your payment.

Very strict.

There's a whole chunk of episode focusing on making the decision that the Mandalorian code of honor outweighs the bounty hunter code. The show explains it better than I can, if you watch it with the sound on.

*Also the "payment" was spoils of war, and keeping it was recovery of stolen cultural artifacts.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Well thanks for that. Now I've turned to the dark side.