Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

When are the Sand People going to gift Mando one of their puppies? Baby Yoda needs a good boy to play with and protect him.

Absolutely not, the puppies want to eat the baby! Keep them away!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Every episode last season advanced the overarching plot in some ways, except for ep5 and maybe 6.

It's a filler episode in the sense that it's completely disconnected from everything else and could probably be put anywhere in the season without losing or gaining anything.

Every episode advanced the plot pretty much the same way this episode advanced the plot. It progresses the story of Mando looking for more Mandos. If he just up and found some in the very first episode, it wouldn't be a very good season-long arc. And it re-introduced the ur-Mando, Boba Fett, which may or may not play heavily into the plot going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Boba Fett was always going to come back. If anyone can do it and have it work, it’s the guy who brought back Darth Maul and had it be awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress that guy, this episode should have doubled down and have the raiders pull a big egg out of the dragon’s remains and start eating it with their hands. Have an egg episode every season!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Splendid posted:

I love how one of the absolute unfailing truths of storytelling is that if you explain the plan, it's going to go to poo poo.

Unless that was the plan all along.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SalTheBard posted:

Is Cobb wearing Boba Fett's armor? if the answer is a spoiler for anything that happens later in the episode don't tell me I'm only halfway through.

It is quite obviously Fett's armour. They do a super-duper close-up of the helmet to show off the big ol' dent that everyone knows and loves.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For the record, I would be one million percent okay if the Fett cameo at the end of the episode was absolutely just that, and we never saw him again, but I understand that no writer alive has the restraint needed to not follow up on that, so I'm okay with that, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

I always thought Han and Boba having some long standing rivalry was one of the dumber parts of the EU.

It's probably at least one of the less stupid coincidences, since at least Han and Fett run in the same circles, what with both working for Jabba.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe Mando doesn't give Cobb Fett's Armour. Maybe Fett does.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Everyone posted:

Everything we've seen about Jawas tells us that they're utter cowards.

That's not even really true within this show. Yeah, they run away when they're being picked off by an unseen sniper, but they fought like hell and beat Mando when he tried to board their crawler, and pretty much stuck to their guns while negotiating against him to get his ship parts back. Otherwise, Mando could just have waltzed in and demanded his parts back and they would have given in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TK-42-1 posted:

Funny thing is JJ had Rey do it in RoS so it’s not like he thought it was a bad idea and in fact thought it was super cool and showed a lot of power or something dumb.

I mean...did you miss the end of The Last Jedi? The part where Rey saves the day by literally lifting a bunch of rocks? The point of the movie isn’t “Lifting rocks isn’t cool” it’s “Lifting rocks is hella cool, Luke’s just too old and jaded to see it”.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

cargohills posted:

Liam Neeson is good in Star Wars. I never thought that was an unpopular opinion before. Isn't he one of the things basically everyone likes about the prequels?

He isn’t Ewan McGregor or Ian McDiarmid, so no.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think how well an actor fares in a George Lucas movie is directly proportional to how much they're willing to make the character their own and take initiative. Harrison Ford basically created Han Solo, and, from what I've seen, was kind of backseat directing scenes with Hamil and Fisher.

McGregor and McDiarmid are so beloved because they 100% realized what kind of movies they were in and went full-on ham and cheese with everything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar Rookie One when

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hey, it’s Paul Sun-Hyung Lee! I remember him from way back in Train 48 where he played a big ol’ nerd and now he gets to be in a Star War! Cool!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's great in Kim's Convenience as well!

Apparently he’s super deep into the cosplay scene, too, and is absolutely freaking out on Twitter today. Apparently you get a commemorative coin when you guest star on The Mandalorian?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ballz posted:

I don’t think it was played just for laughs. It’s another bit of foreshadowing that the kid might be walking down a dangerous path. We got a glimpse of it last season when he force choked Gina Carrino, and even at the start of this episode we get a close up shot of the kid’s reaction to Mando murdering the dude with the jet pack after bargaining a trade. He’s taking everything in and it’s shaping him into something the Jedi might not be willing to accept.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about anything else, but it was 100% being played for laughs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re unfertilized and clearly played up for laughs.

I wasn’t terribly bothered by it, but I think them being unfertilized is slightly offset by them being the eggs of an obviously sentient being. Like, I don’t think there’s any way you can do that without it being at least a little bit horrifying. It would be like eating caviar made from human ovum.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They eat sentient beings all the time in Star Wars, they were barbecuing Kowakian monkey-lizards in the first season and they're sentient.

And that was also a) hella disturbing and b) played for dark humour.

Also, I think their sentience is dubious. It’s like eating...I dunno, a budgie? They mimic what they hear, but are they actually self-aware? Like, in the actual canon, not Tales from Jabba’s Palace.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

I was honestly more concerned about frog lady losing her babies and legit felt bad each time baby yoda ate one. It all came off very morbid to me with how jokingly it was portrayed. :(

The show's always been pretty liberal with the dark humour. And, as has been pointed out, they were unfertilized eggs, so not actually babies, per se. She still had, what? A good dozen or so left?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Never at the expense of someone seemingly innocent trying to protect her bloodline though. That's the bit that irks me.

It's more the situation for me. I feel bad for frog lady, basically, and the show felt like it didn't in favor of jokes.

Like I said, she's got eggs to spare. She'll still be able to raise ten or twelve tadpoles.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Still rubs me the wrong way. Dunno what else to say. The show made a big deal about how they have to travel sub-light otherwise the eggs will die. Any one lost came across like it'd be a huge blow to frog lady, and then baby yoda ends up just eating them. It'd be funny to me if frog lady deserved it, but she seems nice :shrug:

You're not supposed to be okay with it, per se. It wouldn't really be dark humour if it was just bad things happening to people who deserved it. That's what black comedy is; taking a horrible situation and making it absurd enough to be funny. The fact that Baby Yoda ate a couple of her eggs, but still left her plenty to start a sizeable family is what separates it from being, yeah, genuinely tragic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dave Syndrome posted:

That's Dr. Thorax Mandible to you!

Thorax wasn't capitalized, so I think it was just a sarcastic term. Like calling Bruce Campbell "chin".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

I just like the frog lady character, ok? Leave me alone :(

[edit] I just find her situation super relatable. That's all.

:sigh:

She gets to go see her husband and raise a bunch of babies and not get eaten by spiders.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

The second big spider crashing down on top of them just as they were about to make their escape was such a great moment.

That wasn’t a second big spider, it was still the first one. It was still all burned up from Mando’s flamethrower.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

”X-wing pilots are jerks, and cops, and also heroes, but still jerks” is stupid.

Why? None of the things you said are necessarily mutually exclusive, especially if you are, in fact, a criminal on the run.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TK-42-1 posted:

firefox was cool but ‘I have to think in russian’ was dumb as gently caress.

He had to think in Russian because the plane, which was a Russian prototype, wasn’t voice activated, its weapons systems were thought activated.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dave Syndrome posted:

For those interested, here is the video in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av4dqoxc7qs
Holy crap, what a butthurt little whiner. I'm six minutes in and have to turn it off now for my own sanity.

Can we get, like, a synopsis of what it is? I really don’t wanna give that guy views.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The fireworks factory was the Baby Yodas we met along the way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

There's a lot of over the top camp in the OT, and thinking about it, there's a lack of it that really hinders the prequels and sequels.

I've said it before, the two Scots were the only ones in the prequels to really understand the kind of movies they were in.

And I don't think lack of camp was a problem with the sequels. Boyega, Isaac, and Ridley were hamming it up and having a ball, regardless of the actual quality of the material.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Luke has to go "wait I was wrong, Jedi are actually totally awesome and badass, look I can lift an x-wing even while dead!"

Again, this happened before The Last Jedi was even over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Nope, by the end of TLJ Luke recognized that the Jedi /order/ was hosed and deserved its death, but trying to remove all their knowledge and history from the galaxy was a bad plan. The way forward was taking the good but ditching the bad. TRoS rolls around and the Jedi were superheroes again

Kylo says Luke is the last Jedi. Luke tells him he’s wrong. The implication being that Rey will carry on their legacy and rebuild. The whole point of the movie is that Luke was wrong the whole time. The Jedi failed, but that didn’t invalidate their whole existence.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jivjov posted:

And then TRoS rolls around, lionizes all the old Jedi, has them come back and use rey as a meat puppet and then the leave her for dead, but that's okay cause she doesn't matter, only All The Jedi matter

Of all the things to justifiably complain about in Rise of Skywalker, this is a weird thing to focus on. Dead Jedi have been coming to the aid of protagonists since A New Hope. The “old Jedi” were the tragic heroes of the prequel movies. I’m not really sure what you’re taking issue with.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Disgusting.

Frogs don't have scales.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Chris Pratt is, as far as I’ve ever been able to tell, part of a church that, on some level he has no contact with, has lovely opinions about gay people. Which is, like, every church.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The last church I went to had a lesbian pastor

And, somewhere up the chain, I’m sure someone hates that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was independent

But not nondenominational, though, right? Pretty much every church has to either choose to divorce itself from it’s more problematic elements or just quietly ignore them. Pratt has come out and said he supports gay people and, in his experience, so does his specific...I don’t know the word. Branch?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

:smith: aw,gently caress.

I honestly didn't know :sigh:

Mark Ruffalo is my hero. He seems like maybe he's a little bit too credulous, but he's also the guy who dreamed he had a brain tumour and it turned out to be true, so maybe I forgive him for a bit of magical thinking.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

You kinda seem like you’re talking out of your rear end here but there actually isn’t any homophobia in the Bible at all, the context of of the one guy who says “gay people are bad” is that he is a lunatic of the old and vengeful god and should be ignored. Homophobia is something churches actively choose to inject into their ideology, it’s very possible to have a place of worship also be an LGBTQ safe haven, it just requires open leadership. Every church I’ve been too in my life has been pro gay because it’s very easy to check/vet that poo poo out before you attend service.

I didn't say anything about the Bible, and from what Chris Pratt has said his specific church is exactly the kind of LGBTQ safe haven you're talking about. People have vilified him in particular because his church is affiliated on some level with an Australian megachurch organization that has expressed some terrible views, but if we're judging people because they attend a church that's somehow, someway affiliated at some point with an organization that's been lovely in terms of homosexuality, that doesn't really leave much in the way of places of worship.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
She’s a fictional frog lady in a science-fi western. If it makes you feel any better, she literally cannot experience any emotion the writers don’t want her to. Given the tone of those scenes, she’s not going to have an emotional breakdown. Because, unlike real people, fictional characters are subject to things like tone and genre etc. Had she caught Baby Yoda eating one of her eggs, she would have been comically taken aback, or maybe comically angry. If it were a different kind of episode, it might have treated the subject matter differently. But it wasn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lamont posted:

Was that crane thing at the beginning a modified AT-ST?

AT-AT. The STs are the chicken walkers.