Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For never having seen Justified or Deadwood I was surprised how recognizable Timothy Olyphant was to me. Didn't know he was going to be in tihs. And it's not just the voice that's recognizable because he also has this perfected cowboy swagger to his walk.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Did you miss where the same prop was prominently used in the first series to store Mando's beskar reward?

The poo poo that melted people was analogous to snake venom, you saw it being sprayed out of special glands in what amounted to a giant sand snake's mouth. Doesn't mean the stomach's gonna be full of the same poo poo

It makes you wonder why it had an acid spray. What used to be on Tattooine that a thing like that had an evolutionary arms race against?

thrawn527 posted:

I assume he left it on the Falcon because he couldn't figure out how to carry it while posing as a Stormtrooper? Like, it would stick out just hanging on the belt. I guess he could have put it in that pack thingie, but he probably just wouldn't have bothered, since he was still training with it.

But yeah, in hindsight, he really should have found a way to bring it along. Could have come in handy in the trash compactor. But no way he could have known that when he was putting on the Stormtrooper gear.

If Luke was like me he wouldn't have even thought the lightsaber would be handy in a situation like that. It wasn't until that scene in the beginning of Phantom Menace where they melt through the security door that I had considered lightsabers could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

Chewing through dense layers of shale and sandstone is probably much easier if your drool is constantly dissolving it, that made perfect sense to me

Yeah, true. Wasn't complaining that it was nonsensical, it was just something to wonder about.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mulva posted:

She was a suicidal loser written by a piece of poo poo and her boomer rear end should be thrown into an incinerator.

Also there's no "light" side of the Force. There's just the Force, and when you abuse the Force that's the dark side.

Now remember young padawan, if you let yourself become an evil jerk, you will become a member of the Evil Jerks Club.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The kid eating the eggs was great because in every episode he's either doing nothing at all or you keep waiting for him to use the Force to help them out of a jam but in this he's a constant source of additional anxiety for the viewer and makes him feel like a real child. Can't take your eyes off him for a second!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling Din's gonna end up with a new ship before this season's over.

Depending on your thoughts on the Ship of Theseus paradox I think his original ship might be long gone already.

Piney posted:

The CG in this season is soooo good. Best part of spider chase was frog lady deciding to speed up with leaping.

I thought they were going to do the typical "helpless woman trips while running" thing but they went in the totally opposite and awesome direction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On Paul Sun-Hyung Lee being a pilot in this episode. You knew CBC was going to have a piece on it!

quote:

His hobby of making costumes turned out to be useful. During the fitting, members of the wardrobe department were struggling with how to attach an ejection harness when Lee intervened.  

"I said, 'If you guys don't mind, I've actually built this costume and I have on my phone meticulously curated photos of how it works.'" Then the cosplay hobbyist showed the wardrobe experts how to buckle the harness. 

quote:

But nothing prepared Lee for what came next. The wardrobe department wanted a photo of him in costume but his helmet was still being painted, so they took out a prop from the original Star Wars film.

Lee says recognized the helmet the moment they uncovered it.

"I look at it because I know the pattern. I said, 'Is that Bigg's helmet?' And they said, 'Yeah, how do you know?' Because I'm a nerd."

So Lee, a lifelong Star Wars fan, placed the helmet belonging to Biggs Darklighter, a minor character from the original 1977 film, on his head and started to cry.

"Because this is one of the first movies I remember seeing with my dad, with my sister — and I was not expecting to hold, let alone wear a piece of my history on my head."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A.o.D. posted:

It's important to remember that even the spaceship CGI has a practical element to it. Whenever they show you a cockpit shot, they're filming that in a surround projection stage that is projecting the effects in the background. As a result, the actors in the cockpit are lit by what's happening outside of the ship and are reacting to things they can actually see. If you see a laser bolt reflect off of Mando's helmet in a dogfight, that's an actual reflection (possibly touched up a bit to make it look better).

This reminds me of something I wondered about as they were trying to escape the spiders in the tunnels. Each blaster shot of his lit him up and his immediate surroundings in bright red light and it was accurate to where his blaster was -- how do they do that? Is he holding something that produces the light? Is someone shining it on him from off camera? Is CG lighting just that good?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You got forest planet and swamp planet.

There's salt planet, which in my opinion implies there is a pepper planet.

There's also city planet and garbage planet.

Garbage planet has only been in books and games so far but I gotta believe Mando hits Ord Mantell someday. Oh that reminds me Ord Mantell you could also classify as Train planet. There was another train planet in Solo, which I would also call a Canyon planet.

And we can't forget cloud planet

And a lava planet too, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Herostratus posted:

I've read that according some models both desert and ice planets (not necessarily water ice) which could be life supporting are actually more common in the Milky Way than Earth-like planets.

Earth is in pretty much a sweet spot so yeah. And even we don't have liquid water everywhere all the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sticklefifer posted:

GoT didn't poison the well. It's Lost's fault. Lost drove TV watchers insane scouring every frame for a tiny scrap of the faintest clue, and we've never recovered since.

Hm I dunno. I think Ghostwriter takes the blame here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Everything is part of the culture war. Chuds will latch onto anything and everything to cry about libs and SJWs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jng2058 posted:

That's exactly what they do, albeit supplemented by hydroponics, fungus, and the like. Coruscant, like Trantor and other city worlds, hearkens back to the height of Rome where the capital city can only survive in its current scale with massive amount of resources shipped in from Egypt the rest of the Empire/Republic.

This is cities in general or even most settlements with walls. A seige relies on the fact the place you lay siege to is not self-sufficient.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taear posted:

I'm a bit baffled by people saying it's not moving the story along, this is his journey to the next destination
I know that they could just "be there" but still, it isn't like the main story is just spinning its wheels or anything.

I guess they could end everything next episode, shows over, see ya later everybody! But as long as they actually have an ending in mind they are working towards I don't have a problem with how long it takes to get there. It's a fun show, what's the rush!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Obi-Wan and Anakin having a too-equal relationship might have been part of the problem. Qui-Gon would have done a much better job training him, but Obi-Wan ended up with the problem of too young/immature parents who are more like friends to their children than actual parents. It's no wonder Palpatine was able to play Anakin like a fiddle. The same old story, neglected boys whose emotional needs aren't met are just waiting to be radicalised.

From Qui-Gon to QAnon: The Anakin Skywalker Unauthorized Biography

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robot Style posted:

Deepfakes aren't quite ready for primetime either. They look fine on youtube (and in Leia's case, on top of work that's already 90% of the way there), but Disney's R&D earlier this year were apparently only able to get 1024 x 1024 resolution out of them, which isn't enough for an actor closeup at 2K or 4K. If anything, we're going to see them for little things like stunt performer face replacements before actually using them for stuff like Rogue One.

I dunno... Fans on the internet, or Industrial Light & Magic. No idea who to trust!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Smythe posted:

ok this is hella offtopic but bear with me here please: i watched the recent voltron netflix show whch is for kids but it weas alright i guess. i watched it when i was too blasted to watch anything that i needed to pay attention to. anyways it was pretty tight and here is my 1 thing that i think about : they basically never use the blazing sword, right, which was the OG OP weapon, 1hko. they used it once by the power of friendship, and once when they called on it i think. but then like this was tight in my mind when the ghost of zarkon gets in the black lion and all the old paladin ghosts are in that poo poo they dont gently caress around. they form voltron right off the bat and zarkon immediately busts out the blazing sword and 1 shots a monster. its like drat finally someone who knows how to loving play this game.

thats my derail sorry i just have nobody else to tell this to. thank you and have a great saturday

I loved the Netflix Voltron show but I wish I could remember more of it to be able to discuss the finer details. I burned through the whole thing except for having to wait for the final season.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Makes gloves out of the Beskar so Mando can do that thing where Goku was fending off Trunks' sword with his finger.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's Grogu's species called again? Maybe he'll just say that, like Pikachu.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's been in mortal danger in almost every episode? His armour is amazing but he's not invincible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kaedric posted:

I mean, I guess? Him running down a hallway being shot 50 times by blasters without a scratch doesn't make me feel like he was in much danger though.

He almost died on the boat before Bo and crew saved him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, but as Kaedric said, later in that episode, he takes about 50 direct shots with zero issues. That scene really made it seem like he was about to make some big sacrifice, or take some big risk, but instead he just tanked 50 direct blaster shots with no injuries to show for it. It made it seem like, when it comes to regular blaster fire, he's straight up immune thanks to his armor. I could have used a scene where he's, I don't know, applying some bacta gel or something to show he took some damage. It was like he put a god mode cheat code in for that one scene. Which lead me to wonder what Johnny Ringo could have possibly done with his holdout blaster in the most recent episode.

It's not a huge issue, and yeah, the Quarren had him in a tough spot when they trapped him in the water. But the show has clearly shown that regular blaster fire will do nothing against his armor. The episode The Heiress laid that out there.

He still has to hope his plot armour protects him just as much as his actual armour since it doesn't fully cover him. I think it would have worked better to show one of those 50 blaster shots getting him in the upper shoulder or something while he was turtling.

But what you're describing seems like general hero healing factor that he has in the show. He should be nursing more injuries and worrying more about fatigue but hey, it's a weekly series so he's gotta be back in action every episode. Then again, Daredevil was hilarious for doing the opposite of this where they showed him being destroyed almost every episode and yet getting a good night's sleep and being ready for more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

I think this episode strongly implied that Beskar only comes from Mandalore.

We must never let Wakanda's Vibranium fall into the wrong hands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If this was purely about the characters and not the meta aspect of the Star Wars franchise then to me it seems like Luke would be the best choice. He was trained late, he def had experience with the temptation of the Dark Side and redemption, and it doesn't seem like he's doing anything else major that we know about, at least if the former EU is gone. And after being trained by Yoda he'd now have the chance to be the trainer for basically a younger Yoda? It's like poetry, it rhymes!

But Luke would massively overshadow everything. Even if he shows up briefly and then jets it seems like the rest of the series would have this "when's Luke coming back?!" hysteria surrounding it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The closest they came to ever actually destroying the Falcon was in the Legacy book series where Jacen Solo turns Sith. He orders one of his ships to fire at the Falcon, which conveniently only destroys the middle section with the gun turrets but doesn’t kill anyone important aboard (other than Leia’s Noghri bodyguards who’d been around for over a decade but still had zero personality).

lol, they killed Chewie but not the Falcon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chewie’s death is a very stupid “we gotta raise the stakes and be EDGY!” plot device, but the actual written death isn’t that bad. He dies saving Han’s kid and then has a literal moon dropped on him, which is metal as gently caress. I’m almost willing to say it’s better than the TROS ending he gets, where he outlives almost all of his long-time friends and then someone hands him a piece of metal he should have gotten 30 years prior.

The worst aspect of Chewie’s EU death, hands down, is how Han instantly becomes a drunk deadbeat dad who blames the son, as if his friendship to Chewie was more important than his kid’s life.

Pretty metal way to die unless you're like me and can't help but think of:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rando posted:

I've got the original vhs tapes but no vcr

I have no VCR, and I must stream.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GigaPeon posted:

Salacious Crumb

I never knew this thing had a name (lol it's Star Wars, what was I thinking?) and it sounds like someone in Harry Potter who would write a gossip column. Or at least, another character writing a gossip column.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was it how wonky it looked or did people have a problem with the actual feat of Leia using the Force to go back to the ship? If a Muppet can lift up an entire starfighter out of a swamp or Ewan McGregor can leap over tall buildings in a single bound I don't see what the big deal is about telekinetically reeling your own weightless butt back inside a ship.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was really excited for a Rogue Squadron series but sure, I'll take a Jenkins-directed movie instead!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was excited to see some Slave 1 dogfighting action but then got something way better.

There was almost the tiniest bit of cringing shame at how much fan service-y it felt and how much I was a sucker for it but it just ruled. It wasn't forced or anything, made total sense for the scene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sydin posted:

Din throwing Gideon's words back at him at the end there would have been a lot cooler if the show had trusted the audience wasn't brain dead and not showing Gideon saying them in the pre-episode recap imo.

Disagree because while I'm not legally brain dead yet I don't have the best memory and only vaguely recalled Gideon making some villainy speech in S1. Being reminded so I could tell how close Nando's version was was appreciated. Isn't this what recaps are for? "Hey, this thing from a while back is going to be relevant again this episode."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hopefully this doesn't offend any purists but Boba Fett has never looked better than he did in this episode. The extra heft to him, the fresh paint, the armour over black fabric, with that black kerchief especially... so rad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Somberbrero posted:

I don't care about Grogu outside of a misplaced sense of paternalistic concern. Nothing bad is going to happen to the wee baby Yoda because it would not be profitable for Disney.

I mean, generally in a TV adventure show you wouldn't expect the main child character to be tortured and murdered. Whether or not Grogu ends up buried in a shoebox in the backyard is not the question that keeps me coming back each episode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's hilarious to me how much "comic book news" websites hate Pedro Pascal and just keep making up wish fulfillment bullshit where he is written out of the show he stars in

Cosmic Book News is definitely a legit trustworthy site and totally not a rag that chose a name it hoped people would misread and mistake for something else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been rummaging through a few art sites for pictures of Star Wars ships and artists' ideas for them. Basically nerding out over what they might replace the Razor Crest with.

99.999% are just incredibly derivative variations on the Millenium Falcon, star destroyers, blockage runners* and X-wings.

But there are a couple gems to be found. These two are from different artists, who were both inspired by the Crest and keep that WWII-in-space concept the series has:

I like that second one in general but something about the size and width doesn't seem right for just Din and Grogu but then again the Millennium Falcon was big as poo poo soooo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cartoon Man posted:

Counterpoint, Grogu gets rescued in the first 5-10 minutes and the rest of the episode is an escape sequence from the Darktroopers culminating in a fight with Gideon. Meanwhile Slave 1 and the Xwing Cops are blasting ties left and right and arguing over who’s got the highest kill count.

This show keeps surprising me with how quickly it moves so I wouldn't be surprised. I'm obviously not alone either because I guess a lifetime of other shows (and "decompressed" comic books) had a lot of fans thinking getting to the old Jedi shrine was going to be some epic quest and then he flew right to it at the start of the next episode, lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Its Rinaldo posted:

I wasn't very impressed by that lame rear end temple give me more wandering moss covered ruins :argh:

I know people were disappointed but I kinda liked the Stonehenge feel to it. How simple it is helped sell how old as balls at it is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This talk of loading ammo reminds me it's always weirded me out that the sound effect for powering up the Death Star laser in the first film went down in pitch and made it seem like the laser was being powered down.

Edit: And speaking of weapon sound effects, I was rewatching the BWAAAANG scene again (because why not) but with headphones this time and I only just noticed that the initial explosion has a very muffled thunder-like sound. It's quiet but not actually 100% silent the way the Attack of the Clones one was.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 16, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spookydonut posted:

It's the sound of literally every system except the mega laser on the entire Death Star being powered down.

That's what I figured (years later) but it has never felt right to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thinking about how the Dark Troopers are basically dark Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots led me to wonder whatever happened to those rolling, potato bug droids from Phantom Menace. They could speedily roll around and when they stopped they were solidly planted, and they had shields. Where did that tech go so that all other droids are so stilted and awkward and vulnerable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every series will have a cute baby version of a popular OT character. Baby Hutt, Baby Chewie, Baby interrogation droid.