Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeah, yes, manifest destiny but...IN SPACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

permanent residence on mars is possible, but it would be pointless and miserable cave dwelling. so i really hope elon musk succeeds in going there, despite how improbable that is.

whenever I think about elon musk colonizing mars I think about fyre festival. hope he invites a bunch of rich kid influencers instead of scientists

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah, yes, manifest destiny but...IN SPACE!

what if

I told you that there are pokemon in space?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

The Voice of Labor posted:

what if

I told you that there are pokemon in space?

yeah dude just step out the airlock in your suit, now theyll be coming right at you and you might not be able to see it but you gotta go out there and catch all that space trash. pokeballs.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Silly Earthnoids in this thread prattling about other celestial bodies when we don’t even need to leave the gravity well- build colonies at the LaGrange points which is easy compared to going all the way to Mars. Also with orbital colonies you can create a vanguard revolutionary class of the aggrieved oppressed who will be the driving force to overthrow the planet’s corrupt government once and for all!

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Any sufficiently advanced species would be communist already. It is our duty to find them, or become them.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cnidaria posted:

space exploration is fine for scientific purposes but mostly useless otherwise for leftists

there is not really any reason for humans to live anywhere but earth and colonialism is still colonialism even if there aren't other people there, it's insanely destructive wherever it takes place

also we aren't going to space in any real capacity until global warming is solved since if you can't manage an established environment then you definitely can't manage and artificial one

heavy industrial production will have to move into orbit if you want the earth to stop turning into a run away gas trap

thats the 2nd law of thermodynamics and there is no path around it

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Musk just wants to be the first to rape and murder a child on the moon before other billionaires do

Tropical private islands are amateur hour apparently

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Space exploration owns but I dont see how its feasible atm to live out there until we have really super great spacesuits to protect us from everything (especially the abrasive dust of everywhere that isn't a water world). Or we master our biology to extend our lives and make us immune to space radiation/cancer for the most part.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy is great.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What's the leftist take on building huge underground arcologies on Earth to escape environmental devastation or other catastrophes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Exodus1984 posted:

Elon Musk is not interested in going to Mars for any reason other than making money: either through lucrative government contracts, stock manipulation, or just pure resource farming, the guy is a dullard through and through. He's that guy with the Boondock Saints and Trainspotting posters who doesn't know anything.

This is overestimating Musk. Musk is just saying that SpaceX is going to go to Mars because making up fantastical stories is what he does (and he has a Trump-like predisposition to just blindly claiming he's going to do things). It's expecting too much of him to interpret it as some cynical attempt to profit.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The profit is through boosting the Musk brand, like how he has utilized Twitter to inflate Tesla's stock price with Trump-like antics

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

This is overestimating Musk. Musk is just saying that SpaceX is going to go to Mars because making up fantastical stories is what he does (and he has a Trump-like predisposition to just blindly claiming he's going to do things). It's expecting too much of him to interpret it as some cynical attempt to profit.

"who cares if he didn't [previous highly publicized promise] the guy is taking us to freaking MARS!!!!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cnidaria posted:

colonialism is still colonialism even if there aren't other people there

it isn't

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

indigi posted:

it isn't

decolonize your heart of anthropocentrism and embrace non human persons made of minerals or gasses

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

decolonize your heart of anthropocentrism and embrace non human persons made of minerals or gasses

extremist object-oriented ontologists

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

farts are not people. sorry

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Zeonism is anti-colonialism

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximo Roboto posted:

/

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The funniest part about Elon Musk's Space Feudalism Dream(tm) is that he's not the colonial imperialists coming to loot and pillage the poo poo out of the new world backed by a massive warmachine.

He's the guys crossing the land bridge to live quiet lives on new ground, only to get absolutely hosed up later by the second and later waves of settlement and colonial exploitation.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMoCM_FgLP8

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)
I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)
The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
I wonder why he's uppi' me?
('cause Whitey's on the moon?)
I was already payin' 'im fifty a week.
Taxes takin' my whole drat check,
Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
The price of food is goin' up,
An' as if all that poo poo wasn't enough
A rat done bit my sister Nell.
Her face an' arm began to swell.
Was all that money I made las' year
(for Whitey on the moon?)
How come there ain't no money here?
(Hm! Whitey's on the moon)
Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
(of Whitey on the moon)
I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,
Airmail special
(to Whitey on the moon)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Any sufficiently advanced species would be communist already. It is our duty to find them, or become them.

uniting america to find and destroy the space communists and claim their sun for the exxon oilsphere

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Top City Homo posted:

heavy industrial production will have to move into orbit if you want the earth to stop turning into a run away gas trap

thats the 2nd law of thermodynamics and there is no path around it

venting heat into vacuum is gonna a bit of a challenge if you’re producing enough that you need to get it off the earth in the first place

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

fabergay egg posted:

venting heat into vacuum is gonna a bit of a challenge if you’re producing enough that you need to get it off the earth in the first place

It’s ok ww3 will Clear the path

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

fabergay egg posted:

i don't think most people understand that heat doesn't disperse into a vacuum like air does, because somehow "heat requires a medium in which to exist" has dispersed out of our heads in the mahakalpa since seventh grade science class

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

it’s fun when the rockets mess up

https://twitter.com/djsnm/status/1356702143084814338?s=21

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nasa is the military
astronauts are soldiers
spacecraft are weapons

chain humanity to earth and forcibly prevent its escape

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chain humanity to earth and forcibly prevent its escape

thread title

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Our future is in space or we have no future at all. I'm not optimistic but I think people that believe humans deserve to go extinct should lead by example and stop wasting everybody else's time.

Fully automated luxury case space communism immediately.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im fine with your position but telling me to kill myself might get you stomped by the modcops and i dont want this

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Tighclops posted:

Our future is in space or we have no future at all. I'm not optimistic but I think people that believe humans deserve to go extinct should lead by example and stop wasting everybody else's time.

Fully automated luxury case space communism immediately.

why does communism require space travel

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

zeon is literally imperial japan in space

which is why unicorn tries to make them secretly the good guys all along because the creator is a pro-imperial fascist

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
its meaningless, op

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Red Minjo has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Feb 2, 2021

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the titans are totally the cia tho

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

im fine with your position but telling me to kill myself might get you stomped by the modcops and i dont want this

That's kind of you, they've done that to me before but I'm okay with it since I don't want humanity to suffer until the sun finally swells and envelopes the world in a couple million years or however long it is.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

It doesn't require it but I think that if you can literally put the means of production and reproduce them in situ in places like the asteroids or the outer planets or Mars or whatever it might be of some use to leftists at some point

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
removed because I was just a tiny bit too slow, god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

i don't think most people understand that heat doesn't disperse into a vacuum like air does, because somehow "heat requires a medium in which to exist" has dispersed out of our heads in the mahakalpa since seventh grade science class

just put it on the moon. lot of free heat sink there!