Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's bad, folks! I'm all for making a big gay permanent station at a Lagrange point somewhere though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
space exploration helped accelerate the miniaturization of electronics

mars etc will never be terraformed, and trashing this planet in hopes of finding a new home elsewhere is dumb. food grows out of the ground here and you can breathe the air for now

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's cool to do science and poo poo for its own sake with no extrinsic rewards, imo, and any society that is run remotely well has tons of surplus time and if people want to spend that looking at the void then have at it. Learning about brown dwarfs has been one of the coolest things I've done over the last couple years and I'm glad I got to do it and I hope more people get to do so too.

The scifi stuff about colonizing alpha centauri or whatever is fiction and fiction's fine, but there's no real left wing stance on how to do that stuff because there's no real way to do it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
permanent residence on mars is possible, but it would be pointless and miserable cave dwelling. so i really hope elon musk succeeds in going there, despite how improbable that is.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's a really good scifi short story from last year called "Emergency Skin" by N.K. Jemisin about what would likely happen if we did do space colonies and it's got a fun leftist read of the situation.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Aurora is a great take on space colonization

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

permanent residence on mars is possible, but it would be pointless and miserable cave dwelling. so i really hope elon musk succeeds in going there, despite how improbable that is.

i used to think this but thats essentially been my life for the last 8 months so i think i might be okay in a mars cave as long as i have a treadmill and food like a hamster.

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
colonialism and nationalism are inherently evil, and any space exploration that does not involve these lies centuries in the future if not millenia. if we can manage it without raping and destroying that kicks rear end, but. where is my dinner, now? who is going to pay my rent, now? who is going to prosecute cops who beat and murder my friends, now? who is going to do literally anything to prevent this pandemic from killing everyone, now? my leftist perspective is that i don't care about real world space exploration until i know i'm still going to be alive next month in a fallen nation where altruism, electorialism and protest have all failed. i would love to stop musk and his ilk from pursuing space science of any kind, but i'm as powerless to do that as i am to do anything else, other than throw a few bucks at charities now and then. there is nothing to surrender to him--he's rich. in this world, it is already his to take, and always was--just like everything else. that's the very first problem to solve imo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

thomas sankara considered space exploration to be a massive waste of resources.

there's a bunch of stuff we do which is an even greater waste of even more resources.

p sure the u.s. could redirect it's military budget to nasa and still have enough change left over in the cushions to feed and shelter everyone.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I want to live on a space station like in the tv shows or at the very least a bunk on a spaceship. Mars seems like a lot of work for a while

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's why we have VR comrade. The reason we aren't finding any advanced alien civilizations is because they either nuke themselves to death or become VR-addicted neets

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
the soviets did all the work in the 50s and 60s on figuring out how to establish life in artificial sattelites, but the USA had to allow the pollution of space for 40 years back from now.

we wont get off this planet thanks to the US of A!

https://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Writings-Earth-Satellites-Travel/dp/B000NYK8TQ great book

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

space exploration is good and necessary because it improves our understanding of the universe. it should be done by robots though, because sending fragile meatbags out there that you then have to bring back in one temperature-controlled piece so their wives won't be sad is a complete waste of propellant

exploring the solar system is cool and fun to do, but cosmology and high energy physics are the big prize because we haven't had big advances in understanding fundamental physics in half a century. for that, you need telescopes, and all the best telescopes are in space because where else are you going to build an interferometer array with a 200,000 mile diameter. let's get that bitch set up, probably still cost less than a month of the war on iraq

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
it’s the only way to contact our alien comrades OP. as Marxism is the only rational version of society that must mean any advanced space alien must be even more Marxist than us. when we find them we’ll finally have proof the fourth internationale is the way to go

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tulip posted:

There's a really good scifi short story from last year called "Emergency Skin" by N.K. Jemisin about what would likely happen if we did do space colonies and it's got a fun leftist read of the situation.

another great leftist take: mobile suit gundam(1979)

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Space exploration is irrelevant in real life, but even if we lived in a fantasy world where civilization had more than a couple decades left to exist and we stopped climate change 50 years ago it would still be ultimately less important than getting our poo poo together on Earth first. What's the point in trying to leave the planet if we're still divided into two hundred countries that hate each other and will destroy each other if political circumstances change in the wrong way?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Space exploration is irrelevant in real life, but even if we lived in a fantasy world where civilization had more than a couple decades left to exist and we stopped climate change 50 years ago it would still be ultimately less important than getting our poo poo together on Earth first. What's the point in trying to leave the planet if we're still divided into two hundred countries that hate each other and will destroy each other if political circumstances change in the wrong way?

Even worse, absent us actually getting our poo poo together on earth spending resources on (human) space exploration now is basically the public subsidizing the future clean air bubble communities on earth of the hyperwealthy.

right now the effort spent to try and make Mars or L* livable will be turned around and first used to justify why we don't need to respond to climate change. because it will always be cheaper and easier to deploy those technologies on earth the ameliorate the impact of climate destruction on the wealthy instead of actually building space stuff.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Space exploration is only expensive if it has to compete for resources is a capitalistic economy. If you consider the raw materials that are required they are relatively minor. Just because the JWST costs 10 billion does not mean that it absorbed 10 billion worth of resources that could have fed and clothed the poor.

In an idealized society where quality primary, secondary, and higher education is free a space program is the perfect make-work receipient for a pipeline of highly educated bright young minds. Especially since intellectual property is considered a common good in this fantasy society there is a clear justification of benefits to the greater public. Spin off technologies would find applications to solve problems on earth.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
interesting how all the pro-space posts in here are saying soy face stuff like "cool and good", arguing that n.a.s.a. has ever been a force for good, etc.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

exmarx posted:

interesting how all the pro-space posts in here are saying soy face stuff like "cool and good", arguing that n.a.s.a. has ever been a force for good, etc.

Interesting how all your posts in here use idiotic phrases like "soy face".

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

BIG, FIREY DICKS
you think youve seen an obelisk before brothers
WELL MY COCK IS METAL AND CUMS REAL AMERICAN MEN INTO GODS EYE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I support Chinese cooperation with under-developed countries on developing space technology and satellites

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/13424

quote:

Venezuela successfully launched the Antonio Jose de Sucre satellite into orbit from the Jiuquan Launch Center in the northwestern Chinese province of Gansu.

The satellite was launched at midnight local time. Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro said the new satellite will provide a better tool for monitoring agriculture, health, energy, food, and national defense as well as socio-natural risk management and security.

"This is technological independence that we are conquering in the great strategic partnership with our brothers of the People's Republic of China," Maduro said. "This represents a military civic effort."

The head of state described the launch of the satellite as "historic."

The instrument weighs 942 kilograms and measures 1.6 meters long and 2.1 meters high. Additionally, it will orbit in synchrony with the sun to a proximity of 645 kilometers of the Earth.

The highly sophisticated device is equipped with both high definition and infrared cameras and will monitor regions photographing particular areas every four days. Officials believe this feature will be particularly helpful in controlling criminal activity.

AVN reports say more than 100 young Venezuelans were involved in its design, structure, and construction.

"It can be properly said that the satellite Sucre is designed by Venezuelans," said Bolivarian Space Agency (ABAE) President Camilo Torres.

"Sucre has already perfected a task carried out by Miranda over these five years, both for the exploration of mining and the protection of our borders, and to strengthen the work of the Orinoco Mining Arc with more information and data to clarify better actions in the economic and productive development of the country," he said, referring to Venezuela’s second satellite Francisco de Miranda, which was launched in September 2012.

The two platforms will orbit near each other during the transfer of data period.

Scientists say Miranda may have at least two years left in operation.

President Maduro, prior to the launch, said the Antonio Jose de Sucre satellite “will be sovereign, independent, and so we will go to the fourth, fifth, sixth satellite and the development of the highest technology in Venezuela.”

“Venezuela is moving forward. We are being beaten, yes, but we are moving forward with work, government and defense of the country,” Maduro insisted.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3104900/china-boosts-its-soft-power-africa-while-launching-african

quote:

China boosts its soft power in Africa while launching African space ambitions
Satellite technology deemed crucial to China-Africa relations but not a priority for the US in its relationship with the continent
The African space industry is estimated to be worth US$7 billion and projected to rise to US$10 billion in the next five years

Providing financial support for African nations’ space programmes is helping China to advance its soft power on the continent, experts say.

Temidayo Oniosun, a Nigerian space scientist and managing director of industry news website Space in Africa, said: “China often comes to the aid of countries and provides loans for them to acquire satellites.”

China’s model is different from that of Russia – which is also a big player in Africa’s burgeoning space market – where African governments fund the Russian projects from domestic sources.

For instance, when Ethiopia launched its first satellite from a Chinese space station in December last year, Beijing is reported to have covered US$6 million of the US$8 million cost.

The probe will be used for weather forecasting, and monitoring the environment and crops.

China will help Ethiopia launch a second, remote-sensing, satellite on December 20. According to the Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute, the probe will be launched from China’s Taiyuan launch centre in central China’s Shanxi province.

The satellite was designed by Ethiopian and Chinese engineers at Smart Satellite Technology Corp in Beijing and jointly funded by the two countries.
“China is helping African countries in the development of their space programmes by providing technological and financial support,” said Oniosun, who also monitors space and satellite industry investments on the continent.

Many African nations already had good trade links with China he said, which helped in the development of space projects, he said.

When it came to the acquisition of satellites, “countries tend to work with partners they have bilateral relationships with,” he said.

China is Africa’s largest trading partner, with two-way trade hitting US$208.7 billion last year, according to official figures from Beijing.
European companies once dominated the African space industry, “but we are seeing a rise in the involvement of China in recent years, largely due to its model of operations”, Oniosun said.

Between China and Russia, the country that offered better and cheaper technology and a more favourable financing model was most likely to get the deal in Africa, he said.

Julie Klinger, an assistant professor at the University of Delaware, said satellite technology was crucial to China-Africa relations and their mutual research agenda.

“Space technologies have formed the backbone of China-Africa relations in the past 20 years. China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs reserves space cooperation for governments with close partnerships,” she said at the China-Africa Research Initiative conference last week.

Fourteen of continental Africa’s 54 countries had space agencies and 42 satellites had been launched as of January, while 50 countries had government agencies involved in space or space-based technologies, Klinger said.

“Twenty African governments have had some sort of documented space-related engagement with China,” she said.

Klinger said Chinese firms could provide low cost and comprehensive training, satellite construction, launch and scientific services to African countries, but they were sometimes beaten by other providers.

She said China was the fourth-largest recipient of satellite contracts from African countries after Russia, France and the US, and the third-largest recipient of launch contracts.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The space race and the almost of the entirety of NASA's budget was about producing dual-purpose tech that could be used by the military-industry complex and as strategic platforms over the Soviets, there is a reason our ambitions for space exploration for "some reason" more or less vanished in the mid-1990s. (Space Station freedom? Remember the X-33 shuttle?)

As the poster above me mentioned, I support funding for space explorations ...only by non-Western as a way to limit the United States' strategic advantage. Space X was just a way to squeeze more profits out of the system by privatizing parts of it, and it took them 15 years to get something to compete with the Soyuz.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Admiral Bosch posted:

then you have completely good and wholesome programs like Pioneer, Voyager, and Hubble. they harmed nothing and represent the best of us as a species, and in fact could have been even better if it hadn't been for puritan american horseshit management interference.

What sort of interference?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

exmarx posted:

the leftist take is that it loving sucks op, and my "ideal america" would be sunk under the ocean.

We should colonize the oceans.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

We should colonize the oceans.

What is the thread's take on the politics of SEAQUEST DSV?

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Space is cool. I am also and maybe more interested in exploring other configurations of reality. That gets no attention nor government funding, as far as I know.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Oolb posted:

Space is cool. I am also and maybe more interested in exploring other configurations of reality. That gets no attention nor government funding, as far as I know.

Agreed, I want my lsd ration

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Capital has zero incentive or capacity to get out of the gravity well. it'll only happen with a society that can direct surplus into effective long term use-value investments. no ads in space!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Flesh Forge posted:

here's a cynical leftist's take on capitalist, privatized space exploration, a fresh casual masterpiece by Eli Valley :kiss:

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1322406997359235073

not quite the topic but way too good and timely to not post

lol tesla is a religion and musk is not at all smart enough to know when to declare independence or smart enough to know there won't be a colony i guess

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

exmarx posted:

no one wants to comment on my "Moon falls apart onto Earth because we drill it apart for luxury condos" post

I'm hopeful for space, but also the Kessler thing because we're garbage leaving everywhere

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Victory Position posted:

no one wants to comment on my "Moon falls apart onto Earth because we drill it apart for luxury condos" post

I'm hopeful for space, but also the Kessler thing because we're garbage leaving everywhere

Look at how Americans have treated just the piece of earth that they live in. Now ask yourselves how well they're going to take care of a place that no one lives in.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Fluoride Jones posted:

Look at how Americans have treated just the piece of earth that they live in. Now ask yourselves how well they're going to take care of a place that no one lives in.

no one?

the recent drive towards private space exploration is being fueled by the mars rover's discovery of palestinians on mars

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ideally, space travel is cool and can let us acquire so many materials that we can truly create a post-scarcity society. Realistically, it means a few corporations are going to enact something akin to slavery in space to become even more insanely rich

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Capital has zero incentive or capacity to get out of the gravity well. it'll only happen with a society that can direct surplus into effective long term use-value investments. no ads in space!

Musk being a 1980s 14-year-old in the body of a balding Boer aside, capital doesn't want space to go there themselves, at least not to stay. What they do want is to send the rest of us there, fully perfecting the colonial system with a playground metropole for the haves supplied with all the luxuries of an industrial economy but with the actual extractive and manufacturing industries, and the inconveniently well-organized proles required to run them, eternally downwind and atomized into specialized city-states which can be crushed at will by simply controlling the trade between them.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
capitalists loving love the idea of space because it is a place in which infinite growth is possible and there is always more unclaimed territory or resources to be enclosed as private property and monetized. it's a place where number can go up forever. 'the final frontier' - a place where the heroic myth of Westward expansion can be reenacted perpetually.

the thing about the 'final frontier' is that the frontier was loving miserable and the spread of 'civilization' in the American west was fueled by monstrous evil committed by sadistically cruel men who became wealthy and powerful in direct proportion to their capacity for cruelty. so long as capitalism exists, and so long as it is capitalists leading humanity into space, any serious attempts at human settlement of space will be no different. all the fruits of human knowledge and ingenuity and inspiration will be turned to developing more efficient methods to grind us into dust. they will create new torments and miseries, new hells that make the worst places on Earth look like paradises in comparison, and once they are made they will be extremely difficult to un-make. the thought that we might go to space legitimately terrifies me. it's a doomsday scenario - the final, absolute end of hope.

fortunately it isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing that always makes my lib friends rethink Musk is when I point out that in both the paypal and the tesla cases, he bought the right to be listed as founder.

In any case, has anyone posted this yet?