Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Perfect :allears:

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
That alone would of made this game 100% better, because seriously, that girl gets on my nerves.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

We're doing cleanup this update. Everything we have yet to find will be forever lost if we don't get it now, so I'm going on one final hunt to clean everything up. Spoiler alert: I don't find everything I possibly could.

Let's start this off by clearing out some of the lost woods. We're gonna be jumping around a lot this update.

West of that giant stone is a path we didn't take. There's rocks in the way, but we can just bomb them.

Past them is a fence we can burn. You know, normal stuff.

Heart piece behind some tentacles...

Shooting the southern tentacle lets us get it.

Another dickish trap hidden beneath the foliage. That's all to this area; going north will warp us somewhere else.

There was a witch's hut in the middle of this clearing here.

: Just like the Zeia girl. Say, have you seen Belladonna, my long lost granddaughter?
: Uhm... Well... *sweats*
: Surely not,she was taken away years ago, wasn't her? Now, now... Buy something before you go...
: We need to buy...

:sigh:

Wha-

Leaving the witch's hut teleports us to the middle of nowhere.

Half of these are real bushes while the other half are fake and can't be cut. Going west, east, or north will loop us back to this screen. We can only exit by heading down.

Oh, hey, remember this screen?

We can burn this bush.

: on how to find Garden Gallery! I'd love masks, but accept rupees, too!

Oh boy! Let's pay 50 rupees.

gently caress.

100 then?

: north until you see spiky tentacles. go one screen left, throw a boomerang into the stone go north, slash the warp stone, go north until you can, go east, south, east, east, east, burn the north tentacle, hookshot over, go east, boomerang the buzzbulb and I forgot the rest...

Did you write all that down? :shepface:

Okay, I'm morbidly curious, what happens if you pay 255?

Oh gently caress the gently caress off :nallears:

There was also this gohma we saw at one point.

It only gives money.

There's also this screen somewhere that I forget how I got to.

First you superbomb the rock, then you burn the leaves.

There's absolutely nothing of note past this; this just takes you to the lost goron shop.

Also, I need to point this out: the kokiri lamp has red sparkles animating on the subscreen. Our currently selected item is showcased with red sparkles. You have no idea how many times I think I'm selecting the kokiri lamp when I'm not because of this.

Back outside the lost woods, we can burn this fence to act as a minor shortcut.

We can also hookshot this tree to open a portal.

Ah yes, that very much was an important portal, taking us to the utmost important places.

Back outside Knil's house...

The main thing that excites me is that arbitrary random secrets are successful everywhere now. Now it's successful everywhere, and that's really important for the sanity of the player.

Woo.

Another random-rear end portal. We'll be back for this later.

Indulging myself is more important.

Wabbajack.

Wow, thanks game. That portal was super necessary!

I guess while I'm here...

We can burn this whole loving tree down. We aren't sensitive to starting wildfires here.

Yay.

We can burn this down too. Yaaaaaaaaay.

We can push this rock to open yet another portal.

As you'd expect it leads, once again, absolutely loving nowhere we want to be.

I guess while we're here though, we never did activate this. I had to have someone in the call crack open the quest and figure out what causes vines to grow here.

Hookshot. The answer is hookshot.

Just a transition cave...

Wow, this side of the river looks nice. Shame it's hidden behind the dumbest bloody trigger.

There sadly isn't much to do over here.

We can get this though. Yaaay.

There's a hot springs here that heals us too.

And down there is the chest... that we got from the dungeon... wait a minute.

I thought this was the chest we got from the dungeon.

:sigh: gently caress me I guess we're going back in this dump.

We can arrow this statue to make a portal.

And we get a heart piece at the cost of my eyes bleeding even more.

Anyways, there's 2 segments heading south from the dungeon. The left one lead outside to the chest with the magic boomerang, so presumably the one on the right leads to the other chest. But wait! It's a wall!

This doesn't deserve a howard quote. This is just loving stupid.

Wow, that was so worth it.

And of course we continue from this entrance so we have to backtrack the entire loving way back wow.

Back outside, we can push this rock to reveal a music tile that does nothing. Great.

Our superbomb can barely reach the crystal, letting us sequence break this trigger.

It just leads up to the area with the darknut ambush we got softlocked at. Nothing major.

Oh hello there turtle rock.

: Of course! You need the Ocarina of Blood! Just play it here
: That's no good... We don't have it. But we need the Goron Ruby...
: Oh, that's at the opposite side of the mountain. Bomb the wall.

We can't really do anything here.

I can't go get the master sword this update without risking having a giant massive update, but there is one last thing we can do before ending it.

With Belladonna dead, this heart piece is arbitrarily accessible. Woo.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Yay, it's Zelda 1 overworld secret clean-up, except with even fewer hints on what to do. At least in Zelda 1 you "only" had to torch every single accessible bush and bomb every wall on any given screen to check for potential secrets.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

Yay, it's Zelda 1 overworld secret clean-up, except with even fewer hints on what to do. At least in Zelda 1 you "only" had to torch every single accessible bush and bomb every wall on any given screen to check for potential secrets.

I mean, normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt here and say that the lens of truth makes things easier... Except as we saw in a bonus update, the game can and will hide stuff behind the darknut encounters and you have no idea where or what tiles they are on.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Okay, it's time to loot Hyrule Castle to steal the key that can break an interdimensional rift open for the sole purpose of "this world sucks let's go explore other worlds"

We can shoot a window to make a vine and bridge appear.

By walking around the entire building we can access this door.

OST - Hyrule Castle

If CastChaos had access to better tools I have no doubt that Hyrule Castle would be a stealth section.

Instead it's just a minigauntlet where nobody can catch you and throw you out.

There are a few combat sections, but that's about it.

And by a few I mean there's the door already.

I mean, we aren't done yet, but that's the majority of the actual castle that we're seeing.

Walking around the whole thing again, we have another vine.

A plunge into the unknown? Sure, why not!

For some reason that takes us into the sewer.

It's basically the sewer from LttP.

We have a little branching detour here.

Left path has a superbomb.

Right path has the big key.

North takes us through a bunch more darknuts.

I have no idea why CC used blocks here instead of a door :shrug:

We're back in the castle segment!

For all of 2 rooms! :D

We're almost there, just gotta get through the sanctuary reference.

And here we are! All to cross a presumably waist-high barrier.

OST - Master Sword

OST - Dungeon Clear

What the gently caress. You ruined the perfectly good Master Sword music.

: Enormous power flows into you from the sacred weapon, all of your skills increase! You feel no limits, you see the world before your legs! This isn't like a new power, this is you, only YOU!
: It feels so natural now... The unlimited power is me!

: Let's march to Mt.Death in a victorious way, my shining cupcake!

: put the replica there and pretend nothing has happened.

So, uh, yeah. That was a thing.

Honestly, it'd be cooler if there actually was a stealth segment, and after getting the master sword you had to go back through Hyrule Castle, tearing through the knights that had before either given you trouble or you had to outright hide from. Of course that raises the moral standpoint, but let's be honest here Knil and Myra aren't good people anyways.

There is some very last-minute cleanup that out new master sword either makes easier or outright gated, so before we head to Mt. Death we're going to try (and fail) to 100% everything.

Introducing Skyrim for your refridgerator! Now you can freeze lakes while playing your favorite open world game!

Wabbajack.

There's our final magic container.

There's also a bomb selling guy up here.

You know, Skyrim is considered a portal by many that leads to wondrous adventures.

Wow it led absolutelyfuckingnowhere (tm)

These inane portal are gonna be a theme for the rest of this update.

There's a master sword trigger in level 3 that opens a warp portrait.

Woo.

Our new arrows let us kill these enemies from this corner and get money.

Burning the ice here gives us a healing point. Uh, thanks I guess?

Oh, so remember the style clashing goron from the library? If we return there he's gone and might've been gone for a while. Who knows when he left.

Money!

: better than the ones in the closed section.Look, one of them tells about a great evil being imprisoned at Mt.Death! The storm that raged about 17 years ago revealed a lot of caves, I hope that great evil didn't break on the loose. According to the book, the Master can't kill that evil. Even not the Master Sword... Hmmm...

Impromptu lore dump! Entirely optional and I would've missed it if I didn't by whim check the library out of paranoia.

Oh hey it's the peg I think I talked about before.

You can magic boomerang it to turn it into a portal.

It leads us to Goron city.

And here's another random-rear end portal. I wonder where this one will take us!

Huh, that's surprisingly helpful.

Okay, so this is about the point where someone in the call kept nagging me to just get on with stuff, that there wasn't anything left and I was being extremely thorough, and this was the point where I gave in and just continued with the plot.

I am currently at 15 heart containers and 1 heart piece. I showed off the deathknight encounter that had an entire heart container I missed, that would've bumped me up to 16. There are actually 3 heart pieces that I missed! That would've bumped me up to 17 hearts leaving this place. Where are they? Well, time for a bonus update within the update!

You can walk inside this tree from the south. It has a heart piece inside, though you get no fanfare for picking it up so you won't even know it's a heart piece.

2 screens south and east from there is this screen.

Darknut ambush.

3 splitting darknuts here, and the entire screen has invisible conveyors pushing me down because wind or something I suppose.

That gets us another heart piece.

Lastly, there was this screen in level 1.

We needed goron bracelets to push this.

That takes us to this screen.

There we go.

That's everything we missed, minus bomb bag counts because I'm actually unsure how many you can have. I know you can have 40 by this point in the DX version but I'm unsure if the DX version added any or not.

With all that out of the way and showing off what I didn't get, it's time to leave Hyrule. The dragon that was here stays dead.

It's time to get the hell out of here.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It's time to depart from this world. May the next one be better designed.

Who am I kidding, it's only going to get worse. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I can't wait to see just how much worse this rabbit hole gets.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ballad of a Bloodline: It feels so natural now... The unlimited power is me!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Woah, that section in the castle looked surprisingly uncluttered. :psyduck:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Let's march to Mt.Death in a victorious way, my shining cupcake!

For some reason that line made me laugh my rear end off.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Black Robe posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Let's march to Mt.Death in a victorious way, my shining cupcake!

:same:

The crossguards on the two sword sprites point in opposite directions is there nothing at all that this game can do right?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

The crossguards on the two sword sprites point in opposite directions is there nothing at all that this game can do right?
...maybe they're tilted south rather than up/down?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Quantum Toast posted:

...maybe they're tilted south rather than up/down?

I doubt the whole "pointing shield at Death Mountain" thing is anywhere near within the confines of the dev's lore knowledge and/or skill.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Black Robe posted:

:allears: I like it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone here played the CD-i games? Which is worse between those and this?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The CD-I games are trying to be an entirely different sort of thing. This is trying to be the same game, but moreso, and with "edge".

It's a different sort of bad.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

goatface posted:

The CD-I games are trying to be an entirely different sort of thing. This is trying to be the same game, but moreso, and with "edge".

It's a different sort of bad.

: "Mah boi, our goron ruby is what all true warriors strive for."
: "I just wonder what Belladonna's up to..."
: "I CAN'T WAIT TO BOMBS SOME DODONGOS ^.^"

Leraika posted:

Ballad of a Bloodline: It feels so natural now... The unlimited power is me!

This is really good :allears:

The thread has spoken though, and so due to thread limits I must bid farewell to the title of Ballad of a Bloodline. In it's place is it's suspiciously similar cousin: BoaB. please give a warm round of applause for everyone's new favorite lovely game acronym (the applause is mandatory, as dictated by intergalactic romhack law).

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Help ma BoaB

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The steam rooms look like magic eye paintings. I can't imagine trying to play this.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Seems we left not a moment too soon.

OST - Death Bell's Toll

: little kids could be victorious over a swarm of Hyrule knights and mighty darknuts!
: No excuse, our Majesty! We failed...

:psyduck:

: how will you protect Hyrule against what can come out of that opened opened portal?! All soldiers assembly at the portal... NOW!

Oh hey look big surprise the king is evil.

: personal playground! I don't need plans, I will just have fun! First I will dig up this entire dumpland... Oh, before that, I shall demonstrate my power by eliminating the other possible threats. It will be as easy as it was to get rid of that old king and his daughter. Or like... Oh, what isn't easy for the one who will soon find the Light Force? Now, the real game begins!

I can't believe a gay black orb with big eye was behind it all.

OST - DeathMt

More soldiers keep surrounding the portal.

And a dog for some reason? :psyduck:

The sun, clearly :V

Or not.

The thing in the sky blows everyone up.

Rip Mt. Death. I guess nobody else can march here in a victorious way with their shining cupcake now.

(music stops)

OST - Graveyard

RIP Hyrule. I'm sure you'll be missed (you won't).

(music stops)

Where the gently caress does Sigma come into this!?

Jesus christ game don't give me a heart attack.

OST - World Leaping

: people whos were asking for 'documentations' and spoke strange things.

: NAME, JOB from them and a weird noble looking fella asked if they follow the virtues and what they think about some 'Fellowship'.

:psypop: What the gently caress is this!?

: visited by a mole in his water lodge.

: metallic people asking if they are 'Mavericks'.

:psyboom:

What the gently caress why are we in megaman's world now!?

: eyes and big desire for some 'materies' and 'mako energy'.

What the gently caress does Final Fantasy 7 have to do with any of this!?!?

: from the surface and asked if they hate the 'mimigas' or such.

Keep Cave Story out of this lovely game, Ballad! :mad:

: caveman in a rubber suit.

Samus isn't a loving caveman what the gently caress are you even smoking now game :psyduck:

: places. They went through good and bad, escaped death and grabbed big treasures. It was the excitement, itself! Seven years later...

: Agreed, sweetie. Let's find a portal very quick. I feel decay...

: are appearing!
: This never happened in the other worlds!

Oh, you thought this ride was ending soon? No...

No, we're far from finished. We're only at the quarter way point. :shepicide:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
The first post has been updated to include links to each update, as well as a banner to go with them now!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...what?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This hack had the temerity to reference Ultima VII? gently caress right off!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
You know a romhack is running out of ideas when it gives you a bunch of references to other, better games you could be playing instead. :v:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DimiPZC posted:

: NAME, JOB from them and a weird noble looking fella asked if they follow the virtues and what they think about some 'Fellowship'.

:psypop: What the gently caress is this!?
Ultima VII, from the sound of it. :eng101:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a trippy moment the game absolutely did not earn. You can't pull something like this out of nowhere, it's not cool, it's just random and dumb...which I guess applies to this entire game, but still.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

A seven year timeskip? :wtc:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ok I love Megaman X but this hack loves it way too much.

It’s supposed to be Zelda.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

A seven year timeskip? :wtc:

It's adult Link now.

I mean Knil.

This must surely mean he'll no longer make childish remarks. Right?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Only 1/4 done!?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My prediction: Post link world, (we are here) post timeskip world, time travel pre-link world, time travel parallel link world where you destroy the real threat while he does his thing.

Four timezones, one map. Frequent asset reuse and bullshit dungeons made even more bullshit.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FPzero posted:

Only 1/4 done!?

I read it in the update but it didn't fully hit me until I read your post

A quarter???

Also, here's an extremely low bar I'm glad this cleared: We aren't actually going to spend the rest of the game with Knil in the real world. Can you imagine, god

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Perhaps the worst part about the prospect of three more quarters of this game is that it's very obviously gearing up to raise the edge even further. Now that Hyrule is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, how many atrocities per update will we witness and/or commit?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's going to sell the girl into slavery to get a down payment on a tunic.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh my god I love this now :allears:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

FPzero posted:

Only 1/4 done!?

Procrastine posted:

I read it in the update but it didn't fully hit me until I read your post

A quarter???

Allow me to pull up the quest's "about" page... Let's dissect this, shall we? (My comments are in bold)

About posted:

Disclaimer: This quest features NSFW content not suitable for minors.

This wasn't here originally. It got added in by the database staff after a couple complaints.

This story type DoR quest was started one and half a year ago, aiming to reach all players and fit in the Zelda timeline right after ALttP, but eventually I patched the quest with ideas from many games (mostly Ultima, Mega Man and Final Fantasy) and created an own story, the first episode of the Bloodline Saga.

Saga. I want you guys to keep that word in your head throughout this entire LP.

The new thing is that the main character isn't Link, rather Knil and he has a girlfriend, Myra. You can explore two worlds with them, collecting three kind of main collectibles (Triforce piece aka Lightforce piece is just one of them). Also, Ganon is entirely out from the game, the head villain is Vaati.

Might not seem like a selling point but when you consider that Ganon is an enemy the engine includes by default, a non-ganon antagonist is actually a low bar most quests can't clear.

Contents:
-Altogether about 7 and a half size of mass overworlds
Overworld big.
-12 mandatory big dungeons
We have seen *3* of these dungeons.
-8 subdungeons
We haven't even seen any of these yet!
-1 mandatory minidungeon
Hyrule Castle is what this is referring to.
-3 secret dungeons
Nope, haven't seen these either.
-1 small and 2 big sidequests
I think the darknut encounter in the woods was one of these.
-13 custom bosses not counting the final boss
We've seen *3* of these, remember.
-3 main endings and some secret ones
hahahaha gently caress you this game has multiple endings
-ALL items used
kitchen sink: the quest
-some events/plot twists heavily directed towards affecting your emotions
gently caress off.
-many custom enemy and item tiles
floor tile as ladder: super original wow
-cameos from games and from PureZC
Oh... we'll be getting to this later. Needless to say, these cameos aren't exactly things to be proud of.

The first overworld starts out as almost simple, then the complexity of lands and dungeons keep increasing til the last dungeons where I needed to use 5-7 DMaps for one floor. The difficulty is quite high, but you can use ZC player tricks at many places and you also can find HCPs and bomb upgrades fast. There are graphics from many different tilesets and sprite resources, including many custom (or mostly just edited) ones. Music is partially from VGmusic, but the official maestro was Nuvo.

5-7 dmaps per floor; dmap is basically mapdata for a map. Technically impressive, but that doesn't mean poo poo for a poo poo game.

Note that Knil&Myra's first goal is to escape from Hyrule. As soon as they accomplish that, you shall never return to the Light World, not to the Hyrule as you knew it... so if you don't get an item in Hyrule, you never can go back to it. Considering things like that only the Light World has magic containers, we can say that how you play in the beginning determines what can you do... outside of... "Hyrule". Before and after that, pay attention to any clues and speak with all NPCs, because the road from one mandatory place to the next one isn't framed with airstation reflectors. I provide any help you need if you stuck, so relax.

Haha get hosed if you didn't find any magic containers.

The ZIP file contains no fly, but a ReadMe file that holds important and maybe interesting information, also a new SFX.dat file with sound effects specially for BB (mostly from ALttP). Move the original SFX.dat to a safe folder, before pasting BB's SFX.dat into your 2.10 folder.

I spent half an hour trying to get this to work before I gave up.

This makes me remember, use ZC2.10.0 if you want to minimalize the amount of bugs, which is, hopefully, zero if you indeed use 2.10.

It's incompatible with Windows 10. Thanks Microsoft!

MADE IN HUNGARY

Played in Canada ;)

Enjoy! :D

I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

About posted:

-12 mandatory big dungeons
We have seen *3* of these dungeons.
-8 subdungeons
We haven't even seen any of these yet!
-3 secret dungeons
Nope, haven't seen these either.
...Those can't all be as bad as the first three, can they? I mean, just statistically there would have to be one not-horrible dungeon among those 20... Oh, who am I kidding.

About posted:

-some events/plot twists heavily directed towards affecting your emotions
Like so many performatively mature works, it succeeds at this for emotions it probably didn't want to affect.