Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I am getting very strong Pokemon Quartz vibes from this. Horrifically bad Engrish and lots of creepy sexual poo poo.

And there needs to be a trigger warning for trashing flowers! The horror! Torturing animals is fine, but not the flowers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Adding to the general :wtc:

but also can we just talk about this cow?

I'm fairly sure that if you ever see a fully grown cow stretched out on its side, trying to eat or not, it's dying.

Also that's some weird-rear end spriting.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > I will be a kill you when the no sun time comes!

...oh who am I kidding, there are going to be so many more candidates for silly title changes.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

Like so?

Perfect.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

Not just the bubbles, but the pulsing dungeon colors as well! :shepface:

oh god why

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

: to tell the Others about the hiding place of the Hermit. The Me bribes the You with this item. Collect 4 to make the You's life strong!

:psyduck:

Too long for a thread title, booo.

Happy Mask Salesman is the most realistic thing I've seen all game. Fed up retail worker no longer even pretending to smile at the eleven millionth customer to claim they can't afford something and just flatly telling them to gently caress off and get more money.

As for the rest of this clusterfuck, I think it's actually a rare moment of self awareness on the part of the creator. By this point clearly anyone playing wants to set fire to the entire game, so why not gate various rewards behind indiscriminate arson?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

It's mostly that once you remove all the most questionable poo poo, you're left with boring mediocrity at best. I'd rather be offended by a game than be bored by it, in my opinion, cause boredom is the worst feeling one can have. The DX version doesn't top the original as a trainwreck, sadly :(

That's what we all used to think before Pokemon Reborn. Turns out there is very definitely an upper limit that's much, much worse than being bored. This mess calling itself a game can only dream of reaching those lofty heights.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well. Everything in this update was a giant pile of what the loving gently caress. I started quoting bits to respond to and then realised I was quoting almost the entire thing and most of my responses were pretty similar.

I have a headache just reading this, I can't even begin to imagine playing it.

You poor, poor soul.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

The real question though:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Random Junk. Be Happy.

or

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Wait, you aren't miners, are you?

Obviously:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: I can't wait to bombs some dodongos! ^__^

Or possibly:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: I don't know who is that girl there, but she keeps asking if I want party

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

megane posted:

I feel like they're deciding which item works on which object by die roll every time. Looks like this hole in the ground needs to be :rolldice: hookshotted, sure, why not.

Yeah, that or a dartboard.

Nice title change by the way.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm going to echo everyone else in asking 'why?'

But more specifically, what is the reason for this game being made? Most fangames are obvious, either someone wants to add gameplay to their fanfiction, or they think the canon games are easy baby games for babies and want to make it ludicrously difficult so they can smug at anyone who complains.

And then there's this.

You'd think it was the fanfic option, except the 'story' is so barebones I barely remember the protagonists' names and there's no actual explanation for anything. There is no story being told here, not even a really bad one. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be spared the endless lengthy cutscenes of dialogue between an author's pet NPCs exploring their deepest emotions and life stories, but the story isn't the motive for this game existing.

And this isn't difficult, in the conventional sense of the word (I hope this makes sense, I don't meant to imply that playing it isn't insanely hard, OP is doing a great job), just immensely annoying. Regular enemies are pointlessly overpowered but the bosses are cheesable and there's no actual puzzle beyond endless variations on 'is this particular block bomb/fire/Todd Howard' and 'I literally can't see where to walk'. Every single step is the kind of thing regular bad games use as padding to increase a dungeon's length, but there's nothing here to pad.

If anything this seems like someone just messing around with Zelda Classic to see what weird and wacky things they can make the engine do, then on a whim cramming it all together and scribbling a few lines of dialogue to make it seem like it's meant to be a game before tossing it into the void.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Zora's will throw up,ya?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Myra: I can has lolcat?

The Kokiri Forest doesn't seem so bad. I should have realised it was just lulling you into a false sense of security before throwing the Lost Woods at you. As for that string of wtf at the end from Knil, clearly the writer suddenly realised they hadn't had any ridiculous sexism for a while and had to throw in that completely pointless aside before they got withdrawal symptoms.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So is there any point to any of that area, other than to gently caress with the player?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

I manually edit in a pic of todd howard for each and every screenshot the boomerang appears in. Paint.net requires an obnoxious series of keybinds to do this in any convenient amount of time :shepface:

Time and effort well spent, frankly. I laugh every time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oof, I've been there, it's truly amazingly not fun. Keep carefully doing your stretches, stay warm and rest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

If you stuck at some point, it's not the obstacle what is stupid.

I beg to differ. :catstare:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Let's march to Mt.Death in a victorious way, my shining cupcake!

For some reason that line made me laugh my rear end off.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...what?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:rip: Todd Howard.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The LP curse claims yet another victim.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

: for sure until you switch materialization! Does the hammer exist?

:psyduck:

...what branch of philosophy is this?

Also I assume past you was drinking while on the call.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Oh, it's just a lanmola on steroids

Also...

DimiPZC posted:

...oh gently caress right off game.

Oh FUUUUUCK right off, game!

I have no patience for this tonight.

I concur, gently caress right off with that poo poo. :catstare:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...This might just be the worst thing I've seen in a game. Ever.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: I kill ya now! ...Ah, crap it.

gently caress the strobing effects.

Also was there an actual reason why we casually killed two small children without comment, or...?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There's cheap padding, and then there's whatever the gently caress this is.

DimiPZC posted:

: what to do here. Hey, don't you feel WATER!!!! at the other side?

I wonder, is WATER!!!! any different from just water?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ballad of a Bloodline: WATER!!! *splash*

I'm also honestly surprised we don't have a :gamedesign: emote, it does seem to come up every time anyone touches a fangame on here.

Dynamo might actually have been funny, had the creators understood the difference between annoying the player and brutally loving the player over.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Surprised it took this long to really break the game, honestly.

And okay cool, random r-slur, real nice. (gently caress whoever wrote this with a cactus).

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LiefKatano posted:

how do you not know your father was the mayor, out of curiosity

I guess if it was a development that only happened while they were doing that weird dimension-hopping thing? Somehow I doubt it, though.

No no no, he wasn't the mayor, he was the major. He never liked to talk about his time in the army.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: Sometimes I think I should have a nice cup of shut the mouth up

Honestly it might be hard to beat this one, it's been quite a few entries since I laughed out loud at a line in this clusterfuck.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

At what point does playing this become a war crime?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

Okay, shut door. Can you guess what opens this door?

Guess.

You won't be able to guess.

There are invisible enemies placed inside the walls that you need to kill.

BoaB!

Oh, that's the bullshit we remember, all right. :wtc:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Has anyone actually ever completed this game, and if so what is wrong with them?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Alxprit posted:

We can't change the title after every update!!

we near enough did for a long stretch of the game, because they kept producing unintentionally hilarious Engrish to help break up the unbearable gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DarkMatt posted:

I honestly consider it points for this game that the setup was "We just go into a girl's soul" and they do nothing weird or gross whatsoever.

Maybe this game is getting better.

sad but true, this is where the bar is at this point