Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I just finished up making presents for my two little boys. They are 4 and 7, so I may regret making them slingshots, but I had a blast making them and for now they will only know the ammo to be felted wool balls (we'll see how long that lasts). And they shoot amazingly well for really knowing nothing about slingshots.

Falco fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Falco posted:

I just finished up making presents for my two little boys. They are 4 and 7, so I may regret making them slingshots, but I had a blast making them and for now they will only know the ammo to be felted wool balls (we'll see how long that lasts). And they shoot amazingly well for really knowing nothing about slingshots.

those are beautiful and you're going to regret doing it at least once but it's definitely worth it :)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Organza Quiz posted:

Hello thread of wonders! I started needlefelting about five years ago (started a thread for it a while ago that eventually fell into archives) and here are some of the latest things I've finished!

European robin griffin:

Zebra finch griffin:

Dragon-that-is-sized-to-sit-on-my-shoulder-like-a-pet:

And from a year ago but I'm still really proud of it, a 28 AKA Australian ringneck parrot:

These are so amazing and inspired me to go down a google rabbit hole of needlefelting videos and articles. I think I might give it a go in the new year :3:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Enfys posted:

These are so amazing and inspired me to go down a google rabbit hole of needlefelting videos and articles. I think I might give it a go in the new year :3:

Oh please do! It's a really great craft, super easy and forgiving and fun to experiment with! I kinda want to start a new thread for it.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

Old Swerdlow posted:

I managed to complete two projects this year.

The first is a model of a ghost from the game Destiny that I 3D printed and painted.

The second is a GameCube controller I painted and swapped in some different coloured buttons that I just finished for my brother-in-law for Christmas that is themed after his main character in Smash Brothers, Chrom.

Whooooaaaa! Look at that paint job on the controller! I freakin love it. I don't know anything about Destiny, but from what I can tell it looks really good!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What paint works well on controllers? I’m assuming that’s not your standard Krylon Fusion

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

What paint works well on controllers? I’m assuming that’s not your standard Krylon Fusion

Actually that is all I used. I bought some colour-shifting pigment powder and just mixed it in a cup with some clear lacquer spray and blasted it through my airbrush. Unfortunately it kept mixing as a pink so I decided to just tint it with a few drops of blue model paint and spray over it again to get what I want.

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 22, 2020

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ok Comboomer posted:

I did custom nintendo switch controllers last year and oddly enough, the krylon stuff really does work really well. I got some fun purple glitter spray and then made sure I did a nice coat of gloss on top of it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

sebmojo posted:

those are beautiful and you're going to regret doing it at least once but it's definitely worth it :)

Oh for sure! I'm sure they'll discover something heavy to shoot. Thank you!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hello Circusfolk,

I was asked by a buddy to help him fix up an old turntable. I did the wood, he did the mechanical bits.

I'm enjoying looking over your work in other disciplines, you guys are real talented!

This turned out quite nice! Splines are definitely on my shortlist of techniques to try out.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i got into hobby electronics during lockdown, particularly loving around with early experimental designs and obsolete approaches to problems we solved in more elegant ways. to add a Challenge Element, i did this while living out in a cabin in the woods with poor mail service, so i couldn't order anything in- almost everything i made was based on the garbage i could scrounge up from an old cluttered shed, or tear out of salvaged garbage electronics i took from the nearest garbage depot. gonna quote some of the Project Posts i made in electronicsthread:

sweat-powered Pulvermacher modular chain batteries: i discovered an antique quack electrotherapy device from the 1800s that is effectively a primary chemical cell battery configured as a chain of bimetallic links with absorbent wicks that hold liquid electrolyte to 'activate' the battery. this modular approach lets you 'build' a power source of the required voltage/amperage simply by connecting pulvermacher chain segments in various series/parallel combinations. here's the original electrotherapeutic design:

the original battery needed to be soaked in vinegar to work, but i improved it with modern materials unavailable to Pulvermacher- by using magnesium and copper instead of zinc and copper i doubled the voltage per linkage 'cell', and made plain salt water work as an electrolyte. if you sweat on this chain, it starts producing useful electricity until it dries out or the rapidly-corroding metal links fall apart

I see some legit non-novelty uses here as an emergency/remote power source, esp for places where solar isnt an option; i plan to add an energy-harvesting IC component to convert the chain's intermittent/fluctuating power into smooth, steady +5V suitable for USB-charging electronics with. once i put together a reflow soldering setup for tiny infuriating surface-mount chips, anyways
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977&userid=123521&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post503908977

'printable' trimmer capacitors: i needed adjustable trim capacitors to tune an FM transmitter bug i was building but couldnt mail-order them, so i designed one around what i had on hand. i had a die cutting machine, the only thing approaching a 'machine tool' available to me, so i designed the whole thing from die-cut slices of card [for the 'enclosure'], acetate transparency film [for the dielectric], and conductive copper foil tape [for the plates]

these actually work pretty well if you use thick/stiff card and plastic sheet, for the record, and the technique scales to different configurations/form-factors very well. the copper film-acetate capacitor 'cards' can be used in single pairs or stacked to multiple the working trim range + capacitance as needed.
for an example of a later configuration i experimented with, here's the layout for a triple-ganged trimcap with varying plate sizes:

it lets you have your capacitance trimming cake and eat it too- the big plate gives you a wide range of capacitances, the smaller ones give you finer control, and by selectively tapping into or omitting various/combined plates you end up with fine control across a wide trimming range
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977&userid=123521&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post506757073

radio coherer: a radio signal detecting device based on "a pile of metal filings p much"; the exact mechanism of action is still unknown to science

the device consists of two electrodes separated by an air gap, but submerged in small metallic filings/powder. when the coherer's antenna picks up any surge/pulse of RF energy its conductive properties change, going from an insulated/open circuit to a conductive/closed one and allowing the LED to light up. additional detections require the coherer to be tapped or agitated after every trigger, which is the primary shortcoming of this type of radio detector; communication is limited by the speed with which the mechanical 'decohering' device can decohere the coherer. i used copper filings but almost any metal (or blend of different metals) reduced to small particles works, with their own quirks; nickel is easiest to 'reset' properly, aluminium is insensitive but reliable and stable in the long term, iron/steel works superbly but degrades rapidly as it rusts unless an inert gas is added to the coherence chamber to prevent corrosion, etc. again, nobody knows how these things work or why they're as temperamental as they are.

here's the circuit at work; a piezo starter is used to create broad-spectrum pulses of RF energy, which the coherer successfully detects, changing from an insulated/open circuit to a conductive one and allowing the LED to light up. additional detections require the coherer to be tapped after every trigger. i was working on an automatic 'decoherer' mechanism based on nitinol memory wire that would roll the jar on its axis after every activation to reset itself but hit a brick wall and left it in the project bin. one day i will return and make that goddamn memory wire work

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977&userid=123521&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post508314046

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

some potent mad science energy here, that's awesome

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i also do traditional metalworking, my output's tapered the gently caress off this year but i still knocked out a few artsy things

it's a leaf, it's bathed in the immaculate light of god's love, it's a leaf bathed in god's immaculate love

here's a 'buildlog' for a chaos star medallion. there's never been a better year to pay chaos her dues

missing: the latter half of the buildlog, showing how i tool the face to be crisp + textured, how i cut the medallion out from the backer sheet w a jeweller's saw, any pictures of the actual finished product, etc

and here's a bonus piece that is spiritually 2020 if not literally

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That coherer is cool, I've never heard of one before and it led to me reading all about them.

When the first semiconductors came on the market no one could drop coherers fast enough :haw: they were indiscriminate in the worst ways. They were used to mark morse code onto ticker tape but since they would trigger indiscriminately with RF (so any interference, static, or whatever would happily trigger them along with valid signals) reading the result tape could be like reading tea leaves.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

The Eyes Have It posted:

That coherer is cool, I've never heard of one before and it led to me reading all about them.

When the first semiconductors came on the market no one could drop coherers fast enough :haw: they were indiscriminate in the worst ways. They were used to mark morse code onto ticker tape but since they would trigger indiscriminately with RF (so any interference, static, or whatever would happily trigger them along with valid signals) reading the result tape could be like reading tea leaves.

yeah it's not that they don't work, they actually work remarkably well given how crude they are, its just that performance varied massively between different materials, style of coherer, even between individual coherers of identical design on a bad day. and because they did not understand the mechanisms at work they couldn't improve that state of things

also there are many other types of coherers that don't use metal filings, and of course they all work differently as well- there are liquid coherers using mercury and oil films, expensive and finicky but inherently self-decohering, contact detectors that made use of metal-metal oxide junctions' semiconducting properties and which functioned similarly to diodes, etc. people experimented with using animal parts or even a human cadaver's brain as a detector (it works a bit when they're fresh, supposedly). and because coherers just kind of got abandoned within the span of a few years there are still a lot of open questions and untested ideas. like iirc branly proposed a coherer using cerium as the cohering medium b/c its place in the periodic table implies it should combine the best aspects of several other metals, but cerium was far scarcer in those days so he never got around to actually testing it. i wanna give it a shot just to see what happens because my man branly has been left hanging by science for 110 years
somebody did their thesis on coherers and it's an excellent in-depth look at the breadth and weirdness of coherer designs, as well as showing how more recognizable devices grew from coherer experiments + generally putting them in their proper historic context

for the record, this is the design i was last working with, but with nitinol actuator wire replacing the hot-sagging wire in the original, which should result in a much 'snappier' decohering action and a faster max operating speed for telegraphy and the like. the plan is for the actuator wire to be directly "driven" by current passed by the coherer when it's in its active state, so when the actuator contracts and rolls the coherence chamber on its axis, it is both decohering and turning itself off, resetting the entire apparatus and readying it to receive another signal. or thats what i'm willing it to do, anyways, i got frustrated working w the wire and put it down for a bit

(i promise im done making this thread about coherers and only coherers)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That poo poo genuinely got me wondering if it would have been possible to implement a basic (BASIC!) kind of transmission protocol / error control using period appropriate tech.

But I need to read up on the basics more because I don't get how a latching trigger like a coherer was used to differentiate between a dot and a dash (since a dot and a dash look the same through a coherer: the circuit closes and stays closed until reset -- the duration of the triggering signal isn't a factor unless I'm misunderstanding something.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i also do traditional metalworking, my output's tapered the gently caress off this year but i still knocked out a few artsy things

this looks really cool, whats that big green glob you are using?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Rutibex posted:

"Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours."
—The Chant of Nurgle.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Rutibex posted:

that's chaser's pitch, it's a traditional supporting+ fixturing medium for a class of metalworking techniques that are collectively called "chasing and repousse". i use an old-school pine rosin-based pitch, hence the green, but there are different types of pitch and countless traditional recipes. once upon a time there used to be different recipes for different seasons of the year, and specialized recipes for doing unusual or challenging tasks. i use one general-purpose pitch for everything b/c im a philistine
its properties are ideal for acting as a supporting medium for metalworking- it's a thermoplastic material whose working properties range from liquid and free-flowing when hot to rock-hard and brittle when cold, so you use a heat gun to maintain the pitch at your preferred temperature as you work; soft and yielding when you want to do deep sinking and metal-stretching, hard when you want to chase fine detail into the front of a piece without collapsing the forms you just embossed from the back. you can set basically any workpiece in pitch, even very delicate hollow forms and the like, and it will be perfectly supported by the pitch. think of it like a universal non-marring bench vise with jaws you form onto the part. because pitch liquefies at temps easily achieved in an oven or on a hotplate you can melt it and cast it into vessels or over sheets of metal so the entire workpiece is evenly supported by pitch with no air bubbles or gaps. it's tenaciously, viciously sticky when warm, so it doesn't pull away from the workpiece as you form it, but it cracks away cleanly when you're done working and things go cold. and most importantly, it makes your workshop smell like a christmas tree when you hit it with the heat gun.

id post a lot of words about chasing & repousse as well, but it's easier to just show it instead- i did a detailed process writeup of a Fury Road-inspired medallion I did a few years ago, it got a lot of attention on reddit at the time. https://imgur.com/gallery/HlmMK

gently caress that one turned out great

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 1, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is really outta place amongst these HCH posts but I've been very exploratory with my creativity during the pandemic. Before the pandemic I was a writer, I started drawing things around november of last year and then the pandemic started 3 months later before I ever got much of it out there or a social media presence or whatever!

I drew some things with acrylic pen to make into t-shirts:

I printed stickers of lots of drawings and then never sold them, but I gave a bunch away and they've made it to all kinds of weird places. Someone sent me a post by an instagram model who had one of them on her thermos :confused:

(These 3 are all holographic hence the weird colors in the pic)

I drew a bunch of weird sci-fi art and landscapes with fineliner pen + gel pen + acrylic pen:

I taught myself kind of how to use colored pencils layered with fixer:

I got an iPad and started learning how to make digital art:
(attachmento mori :smug: )

I tried to learn how to draw hands for a while:

I learned some more about digital drawing and muddied my style in the process

I started writing a... graphic novel? Is that what this would be considered? More like a graphically-presented novel I guess. It's a far-future sci-fi story with a early-2000s Nicktoon vibe about digital religion and transhumanism and post-Earth society, presented primarily through the lens of a character's journals and 'net searches that they wrote and made on an ancient datapad. Here are a few random pages:

And at some point I was going to make a lovely RPGmaker RPG so I made some pixel art then got bored of it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is really outta place amongst these HCH posts but I've been very exploratory with my creativity during the pandemic. Before the pandemic I was a writer, I started drawing things around november of last year and then the pandemic started 3 months later before I ever got much of it out there or a social media presence or whatever!

Not out of place at all, those are great! I would love to be able to just sit down and draw cool stuff like that. Thanks for sharing!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I made a shelf for my cat

This is a spot she always wants to be, now she can be here without falling off the window sill.

I made the trim as a way of learning to do mitered corners and to use my router table for rounded edging. Later I added some carpet squares (not shown) to help the ladder thing be more useable.

This year I bought an old hand-plane for $15

and I fixed it up and restored it to good working condition:

And for trad games secret santa, I made this dice tower out of an oak limb salvaged from my wife's parents' back yard:

It comes with this little cedar tray for rolling dice into, which I made with mostly hand tools including the above plane:

Here's my Santee using it: https://imgur.com/JOfdIs0 https://imgur.com/AY5cmrB

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Goons are ten thousand times cooler than lowtax ever deserved. I love you all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This thread's visit to HCH will be ending soon and it'll move to it's next forums destination soon! Bookmark it and go along for the ride and see what other talented goons are creating!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome to Traditional Games! We have many creative types around these parts.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Greetings from the miniatures painting thread. Here's the most recent spaceman I've painted.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I am not much of an artist or a writer but I tend to do systems-oriented thinking these days, which also means I create diagrams about games while I'm thinking about them:

In case anybody needed a flavors reaction table:

Examples of game workflows with free icons:

Room and encounter zone designs:

Here's a megadungeon map I made for approximately 100 levels:

Approximately 27% of it is defined and more details are revealed over time in the active games I'm running in it right now. The player-facing docs are here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15WpHSD-CoAf7O0RMSdqoAmijztdSZAAzok7QX1TvDG0/edit?usp=sharing

I also have a variety of commissioned tokens that I use in my online games that I got from a fellow goon that feature from time to time in my posts, an example:

This one's my personal favorite:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I too enjoy painting spacemen and women:

And recently got more into scale models too:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Like a lot of people, I got into painting up little plastic space men because of quarantine. I'm not all that great at it yet but I have a lot of fun painting up fur and camo. These are just done with makeup brushes and sponges.

I keep meaning to take a picture of everything I painted in 2020. But it's been a lot. Some good, some bad, but I'm proud of all of it.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I took some pictures of miniatures I painted

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That Beholder is drunk of his rear end

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wallet posted:

I made a bunch of poo poo out of preserved ferns/moss/etc to keep myself busy during the pandemic.

First one for over my desk.

I like this post a lot. Fantastic work, I totally want to do something like this at home.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've been working on a Locked Tomb/Gideon the Ninth Dark Eldar army, which sorta feels like a good intersection of goon poo poo

(got Gideon the Archon in the mail from Heroforge, for folks curious about the Kabal HQ and/or Griddle's absence)

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 22, 2021

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
There are some really talented folks here! I absolutely love the quilts that some of you have made - my mom’s been quilting my whole life (to the point of having a longarm quilter) so I know how much work goes into them.

I come from the sadly quiet Miniature Sculpting Thread, where some great goons (and me) have sculpted tiny people. Here’s some of what I’ve accomplished during lockdowns.

Da Black Gobbo

Custom Blood Bowl Team, the Dankrumble Dodgy Gitz

Assorted other Blood Bowl Stuff

Painting Plague Doctor

The Miniature That Made Me Realize I Was Trans

Sculpting is done primarily in Kneadite - colloquially known as greenstuff - which is a two-part self-hardening epoxy.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm a board game designer, and my first design that I've been working on for 3 and a half years now is going to be published via Kickstarter in a few months!

Introducing Heckin Hounds!

In Heckin Hounds you play as a employee of the one and only Hades, who has you in charge of walking her favorite hell hounds (and of course Cerberus). It's a lovely job, and no one wants to do it, so what do you do? As little as possible!

Mechanically it's a trick taking game (think similar to Hearts/Spades/Euchre) except that you can't see the cards in your own hand, and you're trying to win as few tricks as possible. It's hilarious and super fun and I'm so excited that it'll be published soon.

My publisher, Sapphire City Games, hired the absolutely amazing Lauren Brown to depict Hades and her hell hounds.

Meet the hounds:

And lastly, here's the current prototype (old art, but here's an idea of what it looks like on the table):

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This was something I did about a year ago. I'd seen some different 2D images turned into 3D shadowboxes, and wanted to try my hand at it. So I thought it would be cool to make a self-contained 3D NES game box, in this case Ducktales, my favorite game as a kid.

Separated everything into discreet layers, printed it all out, and mounted everything on styrene sheet in a shadow-box. Came out pretty decent for something that cost lest than $20 in materials.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I too paint plastic things. I started in like September of 2019, and did a lot of it over the last year. Here is my most recent output, and also the biggest thing I've painted. Angry Chaos mecha dragon.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I also paint miniatures. I'm into the game Malifaux, so most of my miniatures are weird, but I also paint the occasional space man.
I mostly use acrylics, but I like to use oils for some things, as well as dry pigments. I've been doing it for about 7 years at this point.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Welcome to Trad Games, creative-type goons! I'm so impressed by all the people who make actual physical poo poo -- I can just about assemble flatpack furniture but building a table from scratch is well beyond me, let alone making something as nice as what I've seen in this thread.

Me, I make roleplaying games and roleplaying game supplements. Last year I published one game, one supplement, and successfully funded another although it's far from done yet.

Sunlands is a hex map of stuff for Dungeons & Dragons -- it's low-effort, low-cost, and I did all the art myself so it's terrible.

Bleak Spirit is a complete game in its own right, meant to emulate the feeling of exploring a fallen world that you get from Dark Souls and similar games. It's playable with as few as two players, but 3+ are recommended.

And The Map is not The Territory is my latest project, which I'm deliberately making way more colourful than the last two. It's basically one map, interpreted by 24 different creators -- including a handful of other goons and ex-goons -- and an excuse for me to practice my layout skills. I've also learned how to use Photoshop to do product mockups for this one, so now I'm using them for everything.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hot dang, that was a lot of rad posts to wake up to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I too paint minis, albeit not as amazingly as the majority of other posters on the board.

I also write sometimes. Even if I don't have anything available online to show.

And I also occasionally do videos too. Although the majority are just antics from gaming sessions rudimentary edited together. But it's a thing I do either way!
https://www.youtube.com/user/CookedAuto/videos