Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I sit alone in my basement and make toy airplanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnwyexoA9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OK, here are some things I got up to in the past few years.

Gigantic festival stretch tent for 2018 and 2019:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh, I'd been meaning to post this. Last summer I started a theme camp at our regional Burning Man event with some people. We needed a big space to hold yoga classes and similar workshops, so I made a stretch tent out of swimsuit lycra. It took four people to wrestle the fabric while I fed it through the serger.

(Person pictured is not me. This was the test erection in the local park.)

And this was the tent in action.

And here's the same tent in 2019, now with annexes:

(The small purple/turquoise stretch tent is one I also made as a shade structure for my partner and I's personal tent.)

I designed the sign too (a friend lasercut it):

For a forums secret santa last year, I gathered a bunch of Ancient Sumerian proverbs about poop, transliterated them back into cuneiform, printed them out and made hot pads that looked like cuneiform tablets (but covered in secret poop jokes).

hollylolly posted:

Speaking of Snulsmas, I was visited by Snarls this evening as he dropped off my gift!

A package from the Far North!

The box was tested for structural integrity as I inspected the contents.

Explanatory letter! If any wandering assologists Assyriologists come by I will show this present off because translating proverbs back into cuneiform is a mighty feat!

The goods! Poop and fart joke printed trivets! They’re fantastic! :sparkles:

(Also tested for structural integrity. I was trying to get a picture of him holding one :lol::lol: )

Translations were provided https://imgur.com/a/EFSW1bn so feel free to peruse!

Thank you so much Lead Out In Cuffs! :iia:

More recently, I finished this Bargello quilt.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Anyway, I finished my (small) Bargello quilt:

Some of the rows aren't 100% lined up, and the quilting was a tiny bit wonky (although it's so understated you probably have to look closely), but I'm quite pleased with it.

Edit: I'm extra proud because I got halfway through making software to calculate out the cuts, then just figured it out on a piece of paper and in my head.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i'm loving all these things, keep them coming!

for me, here's me thinking out loud over a star citizen loading screen, part of my earnest attempt to Find the Fun (there isn't any) it's super dumb but i enjoyed making it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpP3RSbrnQI

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I fell into bonsai a short while after a nadty breakup

It's a great hobby I'd reccomend to all

Here is my pride and joy that is about 1/3 way through my plan , this is about 2 and a half years of work

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My last project is still winging it's way to it's recipient, so here's a quilt I did earlier this year-

Flour sacks and handkerchiefs, hand-quilted with a hand-dyed linen for the backing/binding. A friend commissioned it out of things her aunt's collection; it doesn't show up in the photo, but the brown splotches on some of the cat embroideries are the old labels from the flour sacks. This was a fun challenge to put together, and I was really happy with how the yellow block with the wavy boarder turned out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I finished building a darkroom this year so I've been printing my photos.

And you can find more of my stuff, and colour work, here https://www.instagram.com/thecoupdebacle/?hl=en

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
during the pandemic i transformed half of my living space into a wood shop and i have been learning various types of wood smiting. i started off with a lathe making chess pieces and just kept making new projects and adding to my shop every day. i'm getting better with each project and the goons from the woodworking thread have been a great help and encouragement!

Edit: I made the work bench you can see in these pics too!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 14, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made a bunch of poo poo out of preserved ferns/moss/etc to keep myself busy during the pandemic.

First one for over my desk.

And then the other part of over my desk.

And then a really big one (~4 feet) in the living room after some complaints that I was hoarding the plants.

And then finally a weird little diorama type thing to live in an alcove with this brick wall thing.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made bookmatched raised panel doors for a bar I'm building this weekend.

They still need some TLC before I can stain them though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hello Circusfolk,

I was asked by a buddy to help him fix up an old turntable. I did the wood, he did the mechanical bits.

Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/fddi4Hx

Here's some highlights that I enjoyed.

I'm by no means an experienced woodworker. This was my first time doing the following techniques:
- Cutting splines (the accents on the corners)
- working with teak
- working to exact dimensions
- working from and adapting my work to the previous turntable plinth

All in all, I think it looks quite good.

I'm enjoying looking over your work in other disciplines, you guys are real talented!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wallet posted:

I made a bunch of poo poo out of preserved ferns/moss/etc to keep myself busy during the pandemic.

Holy hell this is amazing

do you have a thread or posts about how you make these?

RedChesterfield
Nov 18, 2010

"You know you've done enough shit to go to hell."
This thread is rad as hell.

I've been indulging my inner child by playing with rc planes for a little while now, but with the onset of winter my free time is going towards building and fiddling over flying.
Here's how my first kick at a balsa build is going - a kit based on the J-3 Cub:

Plenty of lessons learned, and the next kit is already sitting on the shelf waiting for me to finish this one.

And since I don't expect to get to test it out for a few months, I'm making a matching skin for the new Microsoft Flight Sim.

This is proving to be more finicky than the actual build but mistakes are way more forgiving.
edit - i just realized, technically I've been reskinning the wrong model but w/e.

RedChesterfield fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hi folks!

Between 12 April 2018 and 5 December 2020, this:

turned into this:

During this span of time, I finished my second degree with a field placement in Alaska, drove from Alaska to the lower mainland of British Columbia in a move forced by the ever-changing immigration system of the US, spent months jumping through hoops to register and practice in my field, worked as a professional model builder for three and a half months and then finally got hired with two different entities as a social worker. This model has been a companion and source of solace and comfort through some pretty trying times, and she's finally done, though the case being custom built for it is not quite done yet.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Wallet posted:

First one for over my desk.

And then the other part of over my desk.

And then a really big one (~4 feet) in the living room after some complaints that I was hoarding the plants.

And then finally a weird little diorama type thing to live in an alcove with this brick wall thing.

:allears: This looks amazing

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Enfys posted:

Holy hell this is amazing

do you have a thread or posts about how you make these?
I'm not working on any more of them right now and I think it's too niche to maintain a thread.

I made posts with some basic information about how I made them in the Post your projects thread here, here, here, and here. If you decide to give it a go hit me up in PMs and I can send you some links to where I got the materials etc.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
This thread has been super cool, I forget how talented goons are bc a lot of the DIY threads are kinda dead zone....I uh. Make cosplay. Sometimes I win awards for it!

Because there's no cons right now I've been teaching myself bespoke tailoring...then made cosplay with it. (yes that's Miles Edgeworth, no I haven't taken pics with my wig yet)

The WIP thread for the suit is a fun ride if you're interested in tailoring:

https://twitter.com/disastertowncos/status/1277741601855594498?s=20

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One block wonder quilt (it uses one fabric layered and cut into blocks of six matching pieces--a kaleidoscope, basically. the panel on the back is the original fabric.)

and here's one I prepared earlier (2016)

Dye fabric in the backyard using really poorly executed Japanese shibori techniques

Cut it up and sew it back together

But mostly what I made this year was masks for goons. Hundred and hundred and hundreds of masks for goons. I went through almost my entire stash of quilt leftovers and impulse buy fat quarters and used up 30+ spools of thread and four queen size sheets for linings. After a while I started donating a lot of mask money to various charities since I think I spent maybe $150 on materials.

Hell, I'm still making masks for goons.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Here's some plastic stuff I made since the lockdown started.

(Just Mando, my girlfriend made Baby Yoda to go with him)

Also I got started on this beast of a kit: a 1:16th scale Panzer IV with a full interior (all of the tanks you see here are 1:35th, so it's twice as big in every dimension). Quite a considerable challenge!

I shifted gears to a regular 1:35th kit for a group build I foolishly agreed to do but then forgot about until just a month end!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I guess I was busier than I thought this year.

So far I:

darned this sock

made english muffins

made the Hanuda special noodles from Siren

did some work on my deciduous trees

maybe you'd rather see em with leaves on?

I'm also learning to take photos on film, so far I am just ok but it's fun to get outside and look for stuff to shoot

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I also make cutting boards. This is the ones I made for my sister's birthday and the DIY Secret Santa.

I cut and glued everything up, and then realized I completely hosed up.

The pattern is an A/B pattern, I just figured I could reverse it and have it be a b/a pattern, but I forgot that it was directional.

So instead of making 2 cutting boards I ended up with enough to make 5.

One went to my sister, one went to Sehkmet, and have 2 partially finished (glued and rough sanded, but no finish sanding). I took the last one, tossed on all of the pieces that I had rejected because of flaws, and glued them all together for a massive (15x22 iirc) tray.

I picked up some iron handles from Etsy, I think it turned out good.

I had to do some serious sanding in order to get some of the flaws out so if I ever get access to a drum sander I'll probably run it through again and refinish. This is taken in a really good light, if you can catch it in a less flattering light you can see where I really had to go to town with the belt sander.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Carbohydrates posted:

And this one's kind of my big magnum opus right now, a build that I'm currently trying to gain support in order to have it made into an official LEGO set through the LEGO IDEAS program. It has all kinds of cool features like an exploding wall, a wagon with steering and suspension, a locking safe, etc. Check it all out here, including animated gifs of the action features, and maybe support the project if you'd like to help me out!

One last thing, I've also started streaming the design process of making LEGO models on my Twitch channel. I typically use a digital design program called Stud.io, and the streams are super chill and conversational. See how a model gets designed, hang out and chat about my cat who loves crying in the middle of every stream. I'm told by people who didn't know anything about LEGO before that this poo poo is somewhat fascinating, so give it a shot! We go at 7PM CST every Friday, and I really appreciate any and all support - I need 10 more followers to make affiliate!

Flickr which I use largely as a portfolio
Insta run and photographed by my partner, totally different / more casual pics than my Flickr
These are all crazy and I love the bank vault. One of my most favorite sets I received as a kid (and still have) is this one:

It was the best to 11 year old me because it had a similar little "explosion" that launches a wall of the jail to spring the bad guy.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I also make cutting boards. This is the ones I made for my sister's birthday and the DIY Secret Santa.

I picked up some iron handles from Etsy, I think it turned out good.

Very cool penrose steps vibe. I like it!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
It’s not as show-off rad as everything else in this thread but I think this is a physics wonder: I’ve been working on an acoustic levitation platform to make some desk toys for my friends and family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2kmyCGFr7w

The levitated object spinning like that was a total accident but it’s been doing that for four weeks solid now and I love staring at it :unsmith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

csammis posted:

It’s not as show-off rad as everything else in this thread but I think this is a physics wonder: I’ve been working on an acoustic levitation platform to make some desk toys for my friends and family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2kmyCGFr7w

The levitated object spinning like that was a total accident but it’s been doing that for four weeks solid now and I love staring at it :unsmith:

Wait... acoustic? Does anything exist on this that I can read? That's awesome.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

The Locator posted:

Wait... acoustic? Does anything exist on this that I can read? That's awesome.

Yes! ...sort of. The theory is well documented but details on practical implementation is pretty sparse. One of the things I'm going to do with this project is properly write up the construction and design so that others can take the work and go with it.

Acoustic levitation on Wikipedia is a good introduction with a lot of links to other sources. This is a standing wave levitator that's based on the same principle as the TinyLev described in the article. The transducers oscillate at 40KHz which in room temperature air produces a wavelength of about 8-9mm. If you position the transducers at a whole multiple of the wavelength apart from each other the sound waves create standing "nodes" that can trap lightweight objects. The transducer platforms in my video are about 80mm apart from each other and are levitating a little fleck of styrofoam.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Neat, so it's Dort of like gravitational lagrange points , in so far as capturing objects.

Are those "nodes" constructive interference points?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yes! The "nodes" are where the standing waves constructively interfere with each other. The idea with the multiple transducers on each platform is to focus multiple waves on a single central point so that everyone's waves are interfering in a single spot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There's so much cool poo poo in this thread. Here's a few things I've been working on.

First up is something that I've been kind of planning for a while. This is for a Shredder costume I'm working on. This is all I have so far, but it's coming along pretty well.

Next is an idea that popped in my head one day while watching random youtube videos. There is a kind of hobby/art where you take resin and put a clear thin layer in the bottom of a cup or bowl or spoon, and when it sets, then you paint on small plants/algae and a "layer" of a fish. Then repeat until you get a (sometimes) convincing faux 3D image. Kind of like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryI-Ubes2uU

So I took that idea and turned it sideways, so to speak, with a comic book cover. It's not great as this was my first go around, and the camera doesn't do a great job of capturing the depth, but I want to do more of these.

For the last thing, my wife is very into star wars (I'm into it too, but not quite as much). So, I made her a Holocron accent lamp out of acrylic and LEDs. Apologies if this is kind of massive, first vid upload
https://i.imgur.com/KydnjIr.mp4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

There's so much cool poo poo in this thread. Here's a few things I've been working on.

First up is something that I've been kind of planning for a while. This is for a Shredder costume I'm working on. This is all I have so far, but it's coming along pretty well.

please tell me you have been wearing this around town when doing your groceries and other errands.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rutibex posted:

please tell me you have been wearing this around town when doing your groceries and other errands.

1) the other side of the strap isn't done yet, so it's not secure. 2) If you think breathing through cotton is inconvenient, try solid plastic. and 3) even if 1 and 2 weren't true, it feels like this is following the letter of the law for wearing a mask, but kind of spitting in the eye of the spirit of it.

But, I' really want to.

I'm kind of going for more of a comic book/cartoon look, but I have to admit that having grating/mesh would make it a lot easier to breathe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rutibex posted:

They wear it at home for their wife, clearly

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Made an (semi) Biblically Accurate Angel for a video.

Basically two shepherds in ancient Judea are sitting in the desert one of them is talking about his plans to leave the sheepherding gig for a job in his uncle's workshop that makes penis charms that are massively popular with the Romans. Then suddenly an angel appears from the sky tells them not to fear, they fear. He tries to tell them about the birth of the Messiah but they're too freaked out to listen.

Basically I bought a few metal rings of various sizes from a crafts shop. Fastened them togethers with plastic straps. Covered all of that with newspaper and tape. Painted over that with some "pale rose". Bought some wooden balls, sawed them in half and sprayed them with a glossy white base. Then I printed out some irises and made my wife cut them out because my hands are wonky and I can't cut in a straight line nevermind a circle . Glued them onto the eyeballs with mod podge and then fastened the eyeballs to the frame. Covered all of that with strips of cotton soaked in liquid latex and painted over that again doing a few passes of various drybrushes until I was satisfied.

In action
http://i.imgur.com/wPQwRsG.gifv
Blinking eyes courtesy of forums user Feedmyleg who is a cool and good dude.
still need to do some fine tuning on the motion and hiding the limitations of the lovely wings I got free off Youtube.

I considered adding a fire effect to it since the wheels within wheels are supposed to be flaming but I felt it distracted from the turgid fleshiness of the angel.

The actual humans it interacts with will be played by characters from the game The Movies (2005) with human faces awkwardly Deep Faked on top. Mostly because my friend who I usually do all my videos with is self quarantining because he's disabled and Covid would probably kill him so we can't really go out and film or really meet so we came up with the most needlessly complicated solution we could find to still do videos but in a way that is deeply uncomfortable to watch.

The angel will probably on screen for at most 40 seconds in one sketch out of 6 or 7 (if we manage to "film" everything we've written so far" but is now by far the biggest expenditure in time and money. But it's alright since I wrote the sketch specifically so I would have an excuse to make it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Made an (semi) Biblically Accurate Angel for a video.

Basically two shepherds in ancient Judea are sitting in the desert one of them is talking about his plans to leave the sheepherding gig for a job in his uncle's workshop that makes penis charms that are massively popular with the Romans. Then suddenly an angel appears from the sky tells them not to fear, they fear. He tries to tell them about the birth of the Messiah but they're too freaked out to listen.

Basically I bought a few metal rings of various sizes from a crafts shop. Fastened them togethers with plastic straps. Covered all of that with newspaper and tape. Painted over that with some "pale rose". Bought some wooden balls, sawed them in half and sprayed them with a glossy white base. Then I printed out some irises and made my wife cut them out because my hands are wonky and I can't cut in a straight line nevermind a circle . Glued them onto the eyeballs with mod podge and then fastened the eyeballs to the frame. Covered all of that with strips of cotton soaked in liquid latex and painted over that again doing a few passes of various drybrushes until I was satisfied.

In action
http://i.imgur.com/wPQwRsG.gifv
Blinking eyes courtesy of forums user Feedmyleg who is a cool and good dude.
still need to do some fine tuning on the motion and hiding the limitations of the lovely wings I got free off Youtube.

I considered adding a fire effect to it since the wheels within wheels are supposed to be flaming but I felt it distracted from the turgid fleshiness of the angel.

The actual humans it interacts with will be played by characters from the game The Movies (2005) with human faces awkwardly Deep Faked on top. Mostly because my friend who I usually do all my videos with is self quarantining because he's disabled and Covid would probably kill him so we can't really go out and film or really meet so we came up with the most needlessly complicated solution we could find to still do videos but in a way that is deeply uncomfortable to watch.

The angel will probably on screen for at most 40 seconds in one sketch out of 6 or 7 (if we manage to "film" everything we've written so far" but is now by far the biggest expenditure in time and money. But it's alright since I wrote the sketch specifically so I would have an excuse to make it.

This rules so loving hard. My god.

Have you considered setting the/a model on fire as part of the joke? Like maybe it flies down all fleshy and moist and then somebody says that the wheels were flaming and suddenly the “puppet” bursts into flames. It probably wouldn’t film/composite super well so it’s probably a bad idea. Playing around with a cheap royalty free flame effect would probably give you a similar feel.

Looks awesome so far tho. What are you animating it in?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The way it sways is a fake handheld preset I bought off the internet ages ago. The basic movement is just the built in basics in Premiere Pro.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter
Hello! I am new! I was also new to crocheting a few months ago at the start of the pandemic, but I have made great strides and am really proud of my two latest works!

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Tesdinic posted:

Hello! I am new! I was also new to crocheting a few months ago at the start of the pandemic, but I have made great strides and am really proud of my two latest works!

Those are adorable!

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

cardinale posted:

Those are adorable!

Thank you! I am super pleased with them! I have so many I want to do it's ridiculous!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hello thread of wonders! I started needlefelting about five years ago (started a thread for it a while ago that eventually fell into archives) and here are some of the latest things I've finished!

European robin griffin:

Zebra finch griffin:

Dragon-that-is-sized-to-sit-on-my-shoulder-like-a-pet:

And from a year ago but I'm still really proud of it, a 28 AKA Australian ringneck parrot:

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

Organza Quiz posted:

Hello thread of wonders! I started needlefelting about five years ago (started a thread for it a while ago that eventually fell into archives) and here are some of the latest things I've finished!

European robin griffin:

Zebra finch griffin:

Dragon-that-is-sized-to-sit-on-my-shoulder-like-a-pet:

And from a year ago but I'm still really proud of it, a 28 AKA Australian ringneck parrot:

Absolutely stunning!! I especially love the robin griffin - it just tickles me. Your parrot is next level, though!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Serious cuteness itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I managed to complete two projects this year.

The first is a model of a ghost from the game Destiny that I 3D printed and painted.

The second is a GameCube controller I painted and swapped in some different coloured buttons that I just finished for my brother-in-law for Christmas that is themed after his main character in Smash Brothers, Chrom.