Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

biosterous posted:

1. this is good
2. ddpm's art is good, what a great combo
3. your name is the same as a deceased musician friend of mine which wigged me out for a moment!

Thank you! I've got a new project in the works, trying to take every lesson I learned from that first album and make something that is similar aesthetically but more grand and more satisfying. I've deleted more material than I've committed to at this point but the outline is coming along, hoping to have another 40ish minutes of material at some point this year. Agreed on point 2. And on point 3 I did come across someone else with my name when I first released some stuff, hope I didn't freak anyone else out when they saw new material with that name.

Wark Say posted:

So, I play in several bands, but currently only one of them is "active" in the sense of doing releases and whatnot. It's a melodic death metal band and we're called NovaDown.

In 2019, we released our debut album digitally. Well, turns out somebody had enough interest in it to do a limited physical run. So, if you want to get our stuff digitally, head into our bandcamp page and you get the whole shebang for cheap!

(And yes, you can inquire about physical copies in there or our facebook page)

This rips, as a former teenager of my hometown's melodeath/metalcore scene. What do you play? I love the leads, especially on Falling Skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I do rhythm guitars, arrangements and occasional lyrics.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I make dice and give them to people who maybe can't afford dice. Even if you don't play it's like having a little bag of treasure. Does my heart good when I'm out walking the dog and hear some random kids shouting about dice.

Sometimes my two year old daughter helps me. These sets are called Rainbow Explode and Dance Daddy Christmas.

One of my friends has an 8-year old who started to suffer very, very badly mental health wise as a result of lockdown. Inviting him to play (simplified) D&D seemed to help, and now I spend quite a lot of my time writing notes from a made-up dwarf called Thengor. He does a group therapy thing over Zoom and his dad says he plans several days in advance what dice/note he will take on to talk about. They have to have a specific timeslot before bed to talk about D&D and dice. I'm not sure his parents will ever forgive me.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my god that is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sanford posted:

I make dice and give them to people who maybe can't afford dice. Even if you don't play it's like having a little bag of treasure. Does my heart good when I'm out walking the dog and hear some random kids shouting about dice.

Sometimes my two year old daughter helps me. These sets are called Rainbow Explode and Dance Daddy Christmas.

One of my friends has an 8-year old who started to suffer very, very badly mental health wise as a result of lockdown. Inviting him to play (simplified) D&D seemed to help, and now I spend quite a lot of my time writing notes from a made-up dwarf called Thengor. He does a group therapy thing over Zoom and his dad says he plans several days in advance what dice/note he will take on to talk about. They have to have a specific timeslot before bed to talk about D&D and dice. I'm not sure his parents will ever forgive me.

Oh my god this is all so precious :cry:

Beautiful dice, too!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

timp posted:

Oh my god this is all so precious :cry:

Beautiful dice, too!

It is and it has brightened my day so much :3:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thengor :3:

Gunther :argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sanford posted:

"it's like the Diceman used to say--"

holy poo poo, I wanna make this into a nonprofit and then give money to it so that you can do this for more kids

also, how often do you hear kids shouting about dice? Do they just now know you as the Dice Guy and ask you for free dice?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ok Comboomer posted:

also, how often do you hear kids shouting about dice? Do they just now know you as the Dice Guy and ask you for free dice?

Hah I just realised that sounded weird. We have a community woods/garden/animal park and if the kids help out (in their own time, not when the school takes them) they get a pick out the treat box. I put some big ammonite fossils in one day (very popular) and happened to have two chonker D20s in my bag so chucked them in as well. The next day the lady who basically runs the whole show asked who'd put them in because she'd had to step in to settle an argument over them. Since then whenever I drop in a set, or more likely some random plus-size dice that didn't make a full set, they get picked out almost immediately. We live in a pretty deprived area so something like this set here would seem quite precious to a kid who doesn't see much in the line of things that are just nice to have:

Edit: look at my horrible thumb

Sanford fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 25, 2021

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm amazed with the quality of all of your miniatures. Going to listen to all of this new music with my baby, who has recently discovered an obsession with "the radio."

Sanford those dice rock and those notes are precious.

oh my goooooooodddddddddddddddd

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 25, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Sanford posted:

Hah I just realised that sounded weird. We have a community woods/garden/animal park and if the kids help out (in their own time, not when the school takes them) they get a pick out the treat box. I put some big ammonite fossils in one day (very popular) and happened to have two chonker D20s in my bag so chucked them in as well. The next day the lady who basically runs the whole show asked who'd put them in because she'd had to step in to settle an argument over them. Since then whenever I drop in a set, or more likely some random plus-size dice that didn't make a full set, they get picked out almost immediately. We live in a pretty deprived area so something like this set here would seem quite precious to a kid who doesn't see much in the line of things that are just nice to have:

Edit: look at my horrible thumb

This is all most excellent.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh my goooooooodddddddddddddddd

I thought I was going to find loss in there for a second :)

Thanks for making me go back and look at those pictures, they’re beautiful!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I build synthesizers and write electropop music. I collaborated with SA's twoday on the last release, with him providing artwork for our vinyl release

Music: https://open.spotify.com/artist/78CkUkpoNpLZbnIOv00M6Q?si=e9PmtdfLRiu9hXl6RqE2TA&utm_source=copy-link

Vinyl:

Looking forward to future collabs with twoday :toot:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

This week's gift for my friend.

Thengor's feelings towards druids are pretty problematic tbh.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Oh, this is timely! I just put out my first real full album in years, literally posted it on Bandcamp today.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one. It's basically a vocoder opera about some robots that are trying to bring a bunch of frozen human brains back to consciousness, and in order to do that they have to figure out what makes human beings tick. It's a sort of sci fi existentialist love story.

Anyway it's so strange that it might be one of those things that's just for me, but hey I've been wrong about that before.

It's been a long time since I posted music here, so if anyone out there is hankering for something that's more in line with my usual fare, I also did a bunch of songs for the Hypnospace Outlaw soundtrack as Barnaby's Chair.

edit: oh yeah here's my soundcloud which I post new stuff to semi-regularly

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 7, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am through Oh, You Temporary Thing and I really dig it. Love the concept and story and this is a great kind of grooving electronic space soft techno thing that hits a good spot for me.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

mofolotopo posted:

Oh, this is timely! I just put out my first real full album in years, literally posted it on Bandcamp today.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one. It's basically a vocoder opera about some robots that are trying to bring a bunch of frozen human brains back to consciousness, and in order to do that they have to figure out what makes human beings tick. It's a sort of sci fi existentialist love story.

Anyway it's so strange that it might be one of those things that's just for me, but hey I've been wrong about that before.

It's been a long time since I posted music here, so if anyone out there is hankering for something that's more in line with my usual fare, I also did a bunch of songs for the Hypnospace Outlaw soundtrack as Barnaby's Chair.

edit: oh yeah here's my soundcloud which I post new stuff to semi-regularly

I have always really enjoyed your stuff, BTW, looking forward to this one

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks y'all! Like I say I'm really outside of my normal sphere for this one so it's very good to hear that people enjoy it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I love them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leperflesh posted:

I am through Oh, You Temporary Thing and I really dig it. Love the concept and story and this is a great kind of grooving electronic space soft techno thing that hits a good spot for me.

yeah this is great!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks! I'll probably make a thread for it once it percolates out to all of the streaming services.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I've used the enforced isolation of the pandemic to put together my first EP and release it with a local label

The album is about exploring combining organic and synthetic textures into laid back chilled instrumentals.

I have also been learning to create visualizers for the songs using TouchDesigner and sharing them on Instagram

Also here is my soundcloud if you are interested is hearing some of my more experimental compositions.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Hey y'all, my album from above is now on all the digital sites so I made a thread about it. Thanks again for all of your encouraging words!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goddam I keep thinking I should move this thread along but y'all keep posting cool stuff PLEASE CONTINUE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok, looks like that was the last song for real for the lounge, thanks you've been great. Pack up your pedals and poo poo we're jumping in the van and heading to SH/SC

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome to Serious Hardware / Software Crap, Traveling CCircus Show!

I have a feeling we're going to see some... ah... interesting things from SH/SC in this thread.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ok I'll bite. This is nothing too fancy, but it was my first PC build in 15 years since I was a dumb teenager and I'm really pleased how it came out, as a slightly less dumb adult. For the uninitiated it's a small form factor case which requires a lot of planning and work to route all the cables so it doesn't look like a jumbled mess inside. There's a whole rabbit hole of custom cabling and poo poo you can get into, which I'm not (yet) so I just made do with the standard equipment I bought.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Simple but satisfying. That's a good clean build.

I took my new build back to the shop because I thought they hadn't flashed the bios for my ryzen, they politely pointed out that I hadn't plugged in the cpu power cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it’s been fun to watch the CCircus travel across different subforums that I frequent, as I keep meaning to contribute

I think part of it is that everybody’s sharing forum-specific stuff to keep with the tone of the thread so I’m like “ah poo poo, can’t share my plants anymore gotta share my tabletop rpg poo poo...” and so on

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naw, it doesn't have to be anything related to the subforum it's in (though it can!), the traveling is just so lots of goons get to show what they've been working on.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s been fun to watch the CCircus travel across different subforums that I frequent, as I keep meaning to contribute

I think part of it is that everybody’s sharing forum-specific stuff to keep with the tone of the thread so I’m like “ah poo poo, can’t share my plants anymore gotta share my tabletop rpg poo poo...” and so on

I followed a link from elsewhere and posted my dice in the music forum without realising, and several people were nice and no-one said "this isn't loving music, you clown." Wanna see them plants.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sanford posted:

I followed a link from elsewhere and posted my dice in the music forum without realising, and several people were nice and no-one said "this isn't loving music, you clown." Wanna see them plants.

you should’ve posted in the synthesizer thread

we would’ve asked you to sample your dice rolls to make ambient tracks with

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ok I'll bite. This is nothing too fancy, but it was my first PC build in 15 years since I was a dumb teenager

Sup, fellow just-having-built-er.

e: just noticed the Noctua's upside down :v:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 16, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Sure I'll contribute. Decided to dip my toes in water cooling last year:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

I'll chuck in my latest rainbow cube

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

This is the current iteration of my compute farm. No, it's not mining butts; it's doing science. Since 2017 I've been building (and building, and re-building) machines and letting them do work for a variety of research projects -- mostly World Community Grid. WCG is very heavy on biomedical research, but also has projects like the Africa Rainfall Project which aims to improve weather forecasting in sub-Saharan Africa -- and area that has very little attention from the world's major weather agencies, but where more accurate forecasts would be very important for improving food supply.

These six machines have 84 cores/168 threads between them. That's roughly one CPU-year of compute every two days, but the farm has only been in this configuration for about two months. Back in 2017, it was just one machine, running part-time; now it's these six, with 100% of their time devoted to doing work for university research teams. My total CPU time devoted to WCG is currently just over 236 years and two days. If you're interested in more details, you can find them here.

This hardware project has spawned two software projects, Homefarm and Gnatwren. Homefarm is a bundle of Ansible scripts and bash/python tooling to deploy, maintain, manage, and introspect a Linux fleet running BOINC (the unfortunately-named (it was the 90s!) software that underlies projects like WGC, enabling grid computing). Gnatwren is in early, heavy development and is still climbing out of its testbed phase, but it will be a very lightweight metrics and monitoring system.

I've worked in tech my entire adult life, and have found very few ways to use my skills and knowledge to directly make the world a better place. This feels like one way that I can do that -- plus I get to fiddle with hardware and write a bunch of management systems, which is a plus for me because that's the kind of nerd I am.

If you're interested in any of this, or have any questions, I'm happy to chat over in the BOINC/grid computing thread

Edit: Thengor is the most amazing thing

mdxi fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 17, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm going to bookmark this space to post my finished product once the custom cables arrive and I devote some time to the final tests. But my COVID project is building a dual-radiator custom loop inside an Ncase M1.

For those not familiar, the Ncase M1 is 328mm x 160.6mm x 241.7mm, coming out to roughly 12.7L of internal volume. What makes it unique in the SFF space is that it is technically capable of mounting two 240mm radiators. To my knowledge, the only other case that does this is the relatively recent bigger brother of the Ncase M1, the NR200 from Coolermaster.

I purchased the case in January 2020, and assembled the rest of the non-salvage components following the first stimulus payment. This was phase 1. The GPU at this time was a spare ASUS DirectCU 970 from my old machine. I was waiting for the 3080 to release in September. To start, I used an Alphacool Eisbaer LT "AIO," which while nifty, I eventually regifted to a friend for his birthday after I started building my custom loop...

...in phase 2. Phase 2 is the new 3080 FE and getting the CPU on a custom loop. To do this, I got myself an IceMan Pump/Reservoir combo that is specifically designed to mount on the back of the M1's 92mm rear exhaust fan mount. This removes the pump and reservoir from the internal space making the actual cramming in of parts more manageable. GPU blocks for the 3080 FE were not ready at launch, so that would have to wait. But the 3080 FE's cooling solution is actually quite good for builds such as an Ncase M1. The "passive" fins in the center of the card are directly cooled by any bottom intake fans you mount in the case. That extra airflow made the stock temperatures and noise very reasonable.

Phase 3 is the current step. This is where I get the GPU block, secondary radiator, custom cables, and delid + direct die cool the CPU. The snag here is that I may be asking a bit too much of the case. While the 2080 has been demonstrably set up in a dual radiator configuration, the 3080 is a different beast. My first choice of waterblock, the gorgeous Vector FE Special Edition from EK, is a thick motherfucker, and leaves maybe 2mm of clearance between the bottom radiator fans and the base of the block. In this photo, the block is actually touching the machine screws used to mount the fans. Airflow is... not great. So I grabbed a B-stock Bykski block that was printed wrong--they engraved it with 3090 instead of 3080, which is what the block was actually machined for. The Bykski block is thinner than the EK block, but I've run into issues with the block's backplate preventing it from being inserted into the ASUS Z490-I motherboard because of the clearance between the back of the card and the VRM/IO shroud.

At this point, I'm not sure of the fitting issue is user error on my part or something else. I am waiting for a set of custom cables from pslatecustoms before I continue working on the system, since the final steps involve removing the motherboard and block to delid the CPU and install the direct die bracket, plus the pslate EPS cable is designed to route behind the motherboard. I'll also be testing the fitting of the two GPU blocks to see if I was just loving up trying to install the Bykski block, and benchmark them both (assuming I can make the Bykski block fit properly) to determine which is better for my setup.

This also feels like an appropriate time to mention that my 3080 FE, notorious for being a basically non-existent card scalping for 2-3x MSRP, is using liquid metal. This was my first time doing liquid metal on a GPU, and if not for me being UTTERLY OBSESSED with getting this right the first time, I'd have totally fried the thing. When I swapped to the Bykski block, I discovered I'd used too much LM in my original application, and a nice blob of highly conductive fluid was sitting right on the SMDs that I'd painted over with Thermal Grizzly Shield protective varnish nail polish. I'll be honest, when I was studying the process, the notion of painting over the capacitors with nail polish sounded weird as hell, but having experienced the result, 10/10 always use nail polish.

Bonus picture: As I said, I'm not done. I got frustrated with the Bykski backplate issue and left the job half-finished. I couldn't be bothered to put everything back together when I knew more stuff (the delid kit and an Aquacomputer Octo fan controller) was on the way, so I just kinda bodged it back together and sat it on my desk. No cats, no kids, no problem. Yes, the GPU does not have a backplate right now. Yes, the memory junction temperatures are awful, but well within GDDR6X spec. I promise, it won't be staying like this. Once the pslates arrive, I'll do the final assembly, testing, and post a picture.

:toxx: If I don't, come up with some creative title to give me for my shame. Because christ having this thing sitting on my desk is offending me, and I'm the one who put it there. :toxx:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

mdxi posted:

:words: and cool stuff
So do you have that hooked up to your houses' heating system?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Keetron posted:

So do you have that hooked up to your houses' heating system?

I live in a 1BR apartment that's less than 700sqft. These sit in the living area, so yes, they do contribute significantly to the ambient air temperature. It's not as bad as you might be imagining though, because I set CPU package power limits and use the ridiculously-large-but-excellent NH-C14S cooler on them all. These machines run at ~3.5GHz all-core, with temps between 63 and 65C, 24/7, year-round. Basically, they're clocked to the point where they don't overwhelm the lovely window unit AC in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Here's my watercooling build that I put together about 2 years ago. Still running strong! Only update was about a year ago I swapped the 1080 out for a 2080ti. Bare die 9900k, still running at 5.2 GHz all-core.

Here's a much more in-depth album that shows the full build with commentary:

https://imgur.com/a/XkYjJGf