Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I make dice and give them to people who maybe can't afford dice. Even if you don't play it's like having a little bag of treasure. Does my heart good when I'm out walking the dog and hear some random kids shouting about dice.

Sometimes my two year old daughter helps me. These sets are called Rainbow Explode and Dance Daddy Christmas.

One of my friends has an 8-year old who started to suffer very, very badly mental health wise as a result of lockdown. Inviting him to play (simplified) D&D seemed to help, and now I spend quite a lot of my time writing notes from a made-up dwarf called Thengor. He does a group therapy thing over Zoom and his dad says he plans several days in advance what dice/note he will take on to talk about. They have to have a specific timeslot before bed to talk about D&D and dice. I'm not sure his parents will ever forgive me.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ok Comboomer posted:

also, how often do you hear kids shouting about dice? Do they just now know you as the Dice Guy and ask you for free dice?

Hah I just realised that sounded weird. We have a community woods/garden/animal park and if the kids help out (in their own time, not when the school takes them) they get a pick out the treat box. I put some big ammonite fossils in one day (very popular) and happened to have two chonker D20s in my bag so chucked them in as well. The next day the lady who basically runs the whole show asked who'd put them in because she'd had to step in to settle an argument over them. Since then whenever I drop in a set, or more likely some random plus-size dice that didn't make a full set, they get picked out almost immediately. We live in a pretty deprived area so something like this set here would seem quite precious to a kid who doesn't see much in the line of things that are just nice to have:

Edit: look at my horrible thumb

Sanford fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 25, 2021

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

This week's gift for my friend.

Thengor's feelings towards druids are pretty problematic tbh.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s been fun to watch the CCircus travel across different subforums that I frequent, as I keep meaning to contribute

I think part of it is that everybody’s sharing forum-specific stuff to keep with the tone of the thread so I’m like “ah poo poo, can’t share my plants anymore gotta share my tabletop rpg poo poo...” and so on

I followed a link from elsewhere and posted my dice in the music forum without realising, and several people were nice and no-one said "this isn't loving music, you clown." Wanna see them plants.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tree Bucket posted:

What a magnificent thread, filled with absurdly talented people...
Here's my contribution, an entry to the ArtDome thread (go check it out in Creative Convention! It is A Good Thread.)

This is awesome. I had so many books like this as a kid.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I don't have anything to show yet, but I wanted to share what I was doing outside of the animation thread. And I want to brag semi-anonymously.

I wrote 6 scripts last year for a known corporation that wants to launch a toy line by using animated webisodes. Well, the focus testing just ended on the 6 stories and they placed 2nd against well known IPs like Angry Birds. The only IP that kids 4-6 liked better was Simon the rabbit.

The company is so happy that they ordered 50 episodes from my writing partner and me. For me that's like a year's worth of pay in 3 months.

That’s amazing, nice work. Thread delivers on the “wonders” front!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I don’t know if it counts as something I’ve made but I kept this idiot for over a year as a horrible giant worm and then another six months as a weird soil egg and now he’s finally a glorious megabeetle and I love him.

Edit: lol

Sanford fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 28, 2021

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Whybird posted:

This isn't directly a goon thing I guess but I reckon goon parent projects count, right? My dad's been making and recording his own music for decades, and I've been trying to persuade him to put it online for almost as long. Last year he relented and stuck two of his songs on Bandcamp at https://wjwmusic.bandcamp.com.

The first one is not my bag (my daughter likes it) but Crow Sky Dawn is going on the playlist. It sounds like someone I can't place so when I wake in the middle of the night to shout a band name I'll come back and say who it was.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I ruined a dice by letting a two year old convince me to turn it out before it was ready, but we found a good use for it.

Good for April Fool's Day too!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bismuth posted:

A truly excellent post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yeah that’s absolutely phenomenal. I love that second box so much.