Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Oh, this is timely! I just put out my first real full album in years, literally posted it on Bandcamp today.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one. It's basically a vocoder opera about some robots that are trying to bring a bunch of frozen human brains back to consciousness, and in order to do that they have to figure out what makes human beings tick. It's a sort of sci fi existentialist love story.

Anyway it's so strange that it might be one of those things that's just for me, but hey I've been wrong about that before.

It's been a long time since I posted music here, so if anyone out there is hankering for something that's more in line with my usual fare, I also did a bunch of songs for the Hypnospace Outlaw soundtrack as Barnaby's Chair.

edit: oh yeah here's my soundcloud which I post new stuff to semi-regularly

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks y'all! Like I say I'm really outside of my normal sphere for this one so it's very good to hear that people enjoy it.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks! I'll probably make a thread for it once it percolates out to all of the streaming services.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Hey y'all, my album from above is now on all the digital sites so I made a thread about it. Thanks again for all of your encouraging words!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

mofolotopo posted:

Oh, this is timely! I just put out my first real full album in years, literally posted it on Bandcamp today.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one. It's basically a vocoder opera about some robots that are trying to bring a bunch of frozen human brains back to consciousness, and in order to do that they have to figure out what makes human beings tick. It's a sort of sci fi existentialist love story.

Anyway it's so strange that it might be one of those things that's just for me, but hey I've been wrong about that before.

It's been a long time since I posted music here, so if anyone out there is hankering for something that's more in line with my usual fare, I also did a bunch of songs for the Hypnospace Outlaw soundtrack as Barnaby's Chair.

Okay I want to apologize for my street team. They're good kids but sometimes they get overly enthusiastic. We generated a lot of buzz but I'm not sure this was the most productive way to do it.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

internet celebrity posted:

This is excellent god drat. I'm on the last track now and I'm bummed it's over.

Hey thanks! Hopefully it's some consolation that you can play it all again. :unsmith:

For real though I think it's one of the most detailed and textured things I've ever made, so I'd highly recommend a listen or two on headphones if you haven't already.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Oh poo poo that is quite an act to follow. :stare:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Okay it's April 1 so I can finally drop my big non-musical project that I've been working on. It is essentially a massive scientific shitpost. Some colleagues and I have just published a paper on the effects of climate change on an Australian endemic Pokémon. The paper comes out later today in Methods in Ecology and Evolution, and I'll post a link when it does. For now here's the press release:

https://www.oist.jp/news-center/press-releases/unique-macro-vertebrate-risk-blood-sport-and-climate-change

Basically we use data on kangaskhan from Pokémon Go to demonstrate new methods for estimating bias in how we predict the effects of climate change on threatened and endangered species. It's actually a really serious and possibly quite valuable new tool for conservation planning, and I hope it gets super widely adopted in the field so that a bunch of my colleagues have to cite a paper about Pokémon.

And of course five minutes after I post this, the article finally posts online.

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/2041-210X.13591

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 1, 2021

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, this is seriously awesome. I saw this blow up on twitter back when it first dropped and it's deeply satisfying to know that a goon was involved.

Yeah the reaction has been great! I actually had to do a press conference for the Japanese media with an interpreter and everything. That's a very weird experience when you don't speak the language at all; basically you say one (not too long) sentence and then you just sit there and smile at the cameras for like thirty seconds while they say a bunch of stuff that might as well be bird song as far as you're concerned. It gives you a LOT of time to think about what you're saying next, which is good because it requires a certain efficiency of presentation that doesn't come naturally to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

mofolotopo posted:

Oh hey, for some reason Bandcamp gave me a buttload of download credits, so this is now marked down to pay-what-you-want (including $0) until those run out. I'm perfectly happy to have people snarf it for free, too, because I think that causes them to suggest it more on the app. Please do go and grab it if you haven't yet!