Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pine Cone Jones posted:

How about some optimism of hopefully they'll be better, because I'm tired of doomposting poo poo.

Just expect the worst in everything and then maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

shut the gently caress up biden

also one of jon ralston's (nevada journalist) favorite hashtags is #WeMatter and just fuckin :laffo: if nevada ends up being the call that closes the election out with a biden win. just lmao

this isn't the election we need but it's the election we loving deserve

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
NEVADA: Now that the race is called, time to finally count more ballots!

REST OF USA: where were you when we actually gave a poo poo

NEVADA:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bulletsponge13 posted:

And gently caress off with mandatory voting. Part of system is choice to not participate. You don't have to like it, but just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should be forced to.

just do what Nevada does

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

lightpole posted:

Pretty sure the only reason he ran is to get Trump out of office. He is only doing 1 term and is anything but dynamic. I wish he had run 4 years ago so we wouldn't be in this position. Biden barely managed to beat Trump, I have a strong suspicion Bernie would not have done any better, probably even worse as they would have been able to label him a radical and attack him with the riots.

The immediate ability to start calling for each others blood and instantly poo poo on Biden is rather amazing.

Biden sucks poo poo.

In terms of how Bernie would have done, I honestly think the best thing to look at is Nevada's democratic caucuses. Early voting used ranked-choice forms.

Bernie nearly doubled the totals of any other candidate. After the final realignment, he won with 40% of the vote, well over the 18% Biden got in second place.

The real main challenge with Bernie or any other actual progressive is that the people who run the party are garbage, and when you have that kind of power you can do a lot to stifle any sort of change.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
To expand on my previous post one of the signs that makes me think Bernie would've done better are results like Florida. Progressive policies like the $15 minimum wage passed easily, and those are policies that Bernie champions.

Also consider AOC's tweet thread earlier in which the progressive side of the party actually did fairly well everywhere, while the more moderate Ds floundered.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Soylent Pudding posted:

I also think the GOP has an easier time motivating their base because they're united in white grievance politics

The GOP also has a literal propaganda news network in FNC. The Dems have nothing of the sort; a lot of people argue that "well, CNN and MSNBC are the liberal news media" or whatever, but both of them are more centrist "truth is in the middle" "both sides" trash.

The biggest problem is that mainline / party leader Dems do not want progressive policy at all.

Soylent Pudding posted:

nationwide tanked choice voting

:guinness:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Ranked choice gives much better insight into candidate preference and debunks the utterly asinine "electability" myth.

"XXXXXX isn't electable!": People can still pick their real preference first, then the "safe" choice second (or third or...). Then it turns out the actual preferred candidate wins and all the "but electability!" stuff was nonsense.

As for demographics, the US is huge and I have to ask what state you would consider a good demographic representation for the majority of the US.

But most of the reason was that it was one of the few early primaries caucuses when most of the candidates were still in and it had ranked-choice votes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

lightpole posted:

AOC was pretty clear with her post so you should probably reread it. Its not a progressives/moderates thing but a how did you reach out to your supporters, did you put in the effort, spend the resources, on the right media, did you utilize 21st century media, etc. AOC has worked to make connections with the younger generation and used modern forms of communication to get her message out so people see it.

It was primarily about messaging, but I'm not really seeing a conflict with the idea that the dem establishment is full of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324698828944138243

I mean, gently caress:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324696270674530304

Might as well paste in the dril tweet about unloading an entire mag of bullets into your leg.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think you missed a later post she made:

I did, because it's not part of the same thread. Twitter is great.

quote:

It's not really about who has progressive policies, but rather who's putting in the work to reach their voters—and consequently, moderate dems shouldn't be blaming progressives for losing when they were the ones who just shoved all their money into TV ads and barely bothered with digital engagement.

The bolded part is what I focused on, especially because of garbage like this:
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1324439295847968768

I think we agree on point of "progressives aren't the reasons the Ds did poorly in this election, it's the fact that the D establishment is poo poo". Sorry for the confusion.

the yellow dart posted:

I don't think its a given that those same people win, even though policies like marijuana legalization, $15 minimum wage, and MFA are extremely popular. Given the relative density of brainworms in the general population, it remains difficult for me to see Bernie, et al., winning persuasively across the country.

I mean, part of that is because the supposed left party constantly runs away from those issues.

Embrace the actual progressive policies, work them into your platform, bash the media in the head until it starts actually educating voters and stops with false equivalency and "both sides" nonsense.

I'd also like a pony and a few billion dollars, since that has about the same chance of happening.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

wins32767 posted:

Yep, and we should prosecute folks who broke the law from Trump on down, full stop. But we're going to have to get a big chunk of our fellow citizens that voted for Trump to help fix the problems that exist in our country or they get worse and saying "gently caress em" isn't exactly the best way to start that process.

The other side has no problems simultaneously getting poo poo done and saying "gently caress em" to the opposition.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:lol:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

with a 2/4/3 hazmat diamond WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress

:nfpa:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
russain wormette

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
has trump said anything like that? since i'm assuming we're counting biden and the worm(s) in rfk's head

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
we all know he's an insane idiot racist, the question is specifically if he's said anything about the health of donnie goodbrains. biden joked about it and rfk has the worms

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that was painful to watch.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
holy poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Otherwise things are going to get incredibly hosed

needs an "even more" in there. poo poo's already hosed.

i don't think this is gives trump a win, but we're so deep in uncharted waters that i genuinely don't know what to expect any more. i didn't have this on my bingo card.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

Try not to think about / go down this path very hard. Donnie yelled for a flood of support for his NY trial and nobody showed up. A lot of the chuddier wingnut types are convinced that any and all public events are glowing with undercover feds.

i disagree w/ this because the crime thing was whatever. he's not in any danger there, absolutely nobody thought he was going to jail over it.

this was him getting shot at. he's not asking for help, he's literally the target of attempted homicide. and the initial story, the one a lot of people are gonna read and not see the updates of, was that he personally took one to the ear, not that it was debris from a missed shot.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
no regulations like "well regulated militia" regulations

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"excuse me sir what the gently caress are you doin"

"what does it look like im doin"

":hmmyes: carry on"

e: but also lmao between uvalde and this one can only hope people realize cops will never help you

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
inside of you are two wolves

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
trump and vance deserve one another, but nobody deserves trump and vance.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i, for one, would really really like to stop living in interesting times

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kith posted:

frankly i'm just happy that there's not going to be any more BIDEN OLD coverage anymore

why, it's old news! :dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh so it’ll be Linda Yaccarino

Think you can safely X that one off the list

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
NoJoe (2024) (Rev A).nes

:patriot:

suddenly got reminded of this nugget and had to make an updated version

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Occam's razor and his Vegas stop suggest he really did have it; otherwise there's not much of a reason for him to go through all of the trouble and hassle.

I'm sure the isolation gave him some quality thinking time, though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So apparently she uses brat to mean something that's good. That's all I wanted to know: brat good or brat bad?

brat wurst :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"Trump bet on me, and I was a winner. Now I've kept winning, while he's done nothing but lose." :v: