Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

We all know that shooting with no time limit will get you Killed in the Streets. Right?

Sort of. Once you establish a solid performance baseline marksmanship-wise, then you should push your speed. But make sure you have that baseline, and that it's repeatable, and you can pull off that level of base performance cold.

To that end, I'd like to work on Dave Spaulding's "Three-Round Fadeback". It's a 24-round handgun drill that requires you to be able to shoot at a vertically-oriented 3x5" card from three yards to 25 yards.

The course of fire is three rounds per stage, no time limit, and any start position. The stages are as follows:

3 Yards
5 Yards
7 Yards
10 Yards
12 Yards
15 Yards
20 Yards
25 Yards

Ideally you can shoot the card on a clean backer of some sort to more accurately count your misses. I've been running the drill a little this past week and my two best runs were a 22/24 with a Gen5 G23 and a 20/24 with a Gen5 G19, both with iron sights.

Divisions are as follows (all with iron sights):

Rimfire
Subcompact
Compact
Fullsize
Hand Cannon

Optic-equipped handguns are in their own division, regardless of caliber or optic.

This match runs through the end of December.

Edit: Final Results!

Optics
Maze of Tzeentch - 24
Bogon - 9

Rimfire
Tarlibone - 21
Davin Valrki - 20
Bogon - 7

Compact
IR35 - 22

Fullsize
Davin Valkri - 17

Hand Cannon
Davin Valkri - 14
Bogon - 13

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

If I were to put the 18.5" barrel and pistol grip back on my shotgun and shot it one handed, would that be a "hand cannon" or fall into its own category and what sort of ammo would be acceptable?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poeticoddity posted:

If I were to put the 18.5" barrel and pistol grip back on my shotgun and shot it one handed, would that be a "hand cannon" or fall into its own category and what sort of ammo would be acceptable?

I was trying to think of a "gimmick" category. If you're willing to break your wrist shooting a PGO shotgun with slugs (you can even shoot it two-handed if you want), then go for it!

I'm just trying to think of a way to ensure that you have a target left to shoot at on every stage. Maybe put eight 3x5 cards on a larger cardboard backer and use one for each stage?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

I was trying to think of a "gimmick" category. If you're willing to break your wrist shooting a PGO shotgun with slugs (you can even shoot it two-handed if you want), then go for it!

I'm just trying to think of a way to ensure that you have a target left to shoot at on every stage. Maybe put eight 3x5 cards on a larger cardboard backer and use one for each stage?

I was already planning on using multiple targets. I mean, we're talking 3 × 5 cards, right? Since my indoor range only goes to 15 yards, I'll be using multiple targets, and shrinking some of them for the longer distances, kind-of like what I did for the... what was it, the Roscoe drill from a while back?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Do we use aim points on the cards? The example has a white center where the rest is colored.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Davin Valkri posted:

Do we use aim points on the cards? The example has a white center where the rest is colored.

Yeah, that’s fine either way.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Well, that's something I'm going to need to try next time, as well as anti fog spray on my safety glasses. Today they were actually fogging up so bad, I had to take them off and just shoot with my normal glasses; even then they were getting pretty fogged and I had to keep adjusting my mask. But with those excuses out of the way, here's today's performance:

Ruger Mark IV (rimfire): 20/24. I'm amazed I scored those hits at 20 and 25 yards at all. This thing basically shoots flat all the way out, or at least as flat as my shaky hands can manage.

SR1911 (full size): 17/24. The last round at 15 maaaaaybe just barely clipped the top, but it's flatly obvious there's no hits at 20 and 25. Did a little bit of diagnosis, and even though I adjusted the sights lower after last time (and they're still good sights! cf. the dot torture target), it's still shooting high at 20 and 25 yards. Next time I'll have to aim for the bottom edge of the cards.

Model 27 (hand cannon): 13/24. Yeah, it looks like 14, but I know for a fact that one of the "hits" on the 12 yard card was a miss from aiming at the 15 yard card. In my defense, I was basically shooting each round expecting a malfunction--I had to open it up, lube the insides, and make very very sure the hammer block was in the right place. Also maybe a third of these shots aren't actually 38 Special; I ran out and switched to 357 magnum for a few of these. Still, definitely need long range practice with this one.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I was about to complain about it being hard to do this one (like I never really do any of them ) with my range, since I'd have to call cease fire every time to change target distances but then I remembered I have a .22 with a can and a corner of my yard where I can safely shoot to 25 yards

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I was about to complain about it being hard to do this one (like I never really do any of them ) with my range, since I'd have to call cease fire every time to change target distances but then I remembered I have a .22 with a can and a corner of my yard where I can safely shoot to 25 yards

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Red Dot Pistols Are Cheating: A Treatise By MazeOfTzeentch

19/24 cold

24/24

23/24 rushing to beat the sunset

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Been a busy two months but finally getting some range time tomorrow

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bogon posted:

Been a busy two months but finally getting some range time tomorrow

Yesss

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

A little late to get an overlapping December/January match going, but anyone want to take January/February? If not, I’ve always got stuff in my bag of trucks.

Edit: leaving it. #truckfucklersunite

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 4, 2021

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Oh god, I sucked it big time. Yesterday was a mess that just would not end forgot my range finder, jacket, and gloves and it was 20f when I arrived at the range. Since no range finder, I handicapped myself at 15 yards since it was a known distance to me.

Anyway scores

Hand Cannon Lite(Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 inch) my best score...11/24

And it goes downhill from here

Hand Cannon Full Power(Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 inch): 6/24

Optics Full-Size Q5 RMR: 7/24 I should probably not count the 2 on the right edge.

7inch 1911 10mm: 8/24

Ruger Security Six 2.75 inch:7/24

Lessons learned I suck shooting when I can't feel my hands.

The only good thing about yesterday was the amount of brass I picked up.

I may try going NYE and take another stab at this just need to figure out how my week is going to play out.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Quick notes - Bogon: I would count all your edge hits. If I can see a "grease ring", I'll count it. Davin Valkri: I'll count your "wrong card" hit. If you were at the right distance when you took the shot, and you hit the card you were aiming at, I'll give it to you.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

I'm not going to be able to make it to the range tomorrow due to a work issue. I would love to see how everyone would do with one of the rimfire matches I try and run every month but I'm not sure if everyone has the ammo, rifle, or space to shoot 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Longest I have access to is 100 yards, and it's not always available.

I did this challenge, but I don't think I uploaded anything. I planned on doing it again, but... stuff.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The farthest I can shoot right now is a hundred yards.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

So dropping down to just the 50 and 100 yards.

Each Stage 20 shots no time limit anything in the target zone is 1 point outside is 0. I did drop the time limit(I have usually 3 minutes) there are 20 targets and the target gets smaller every 5 targets.

Short Range Stage:
50 Yards
1.5” IDPA Circle
Medium Range Stage:
100 Yards
3” IDPA Circle
100 Yards Challange
Ace of Spades

If you can stretch your legs:
Long Range Stage:
200 Yards
4” IDPA Circle
Longest Range Stage:
300 Yards
5” IDPA Circle
Challange Stage:
300 Yards
Ace of Spades

I would need to figure out the right paper target since 50-200 targets for this match are steel that you need to knock off the beam the 300 challenge target is a playing card usually the Ace of Spades.

Edit: Ranges didn't match up

Bogon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 31, 2020

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bogon posted:

Each Stage 20 shots no time limit anything in the target zone is 1 point outside is 0. I did drop the time limit(I have usually 3 minutes) there are 20 targets and the target gets smaller every 5 targets.

Short Range Stage:
50 Yards
1.5” IDPA Circle
Medium Range Stage:
100 Yards
3” IDPA Circle
100 Yards Challange
Ace of Spades

I would need to figure out the right paper target since 50-150 targets for this match are steel that you need to knock off the beam the 300 challenge target is a playing card usually the Ace of Spades.

Do it up! I haven't done any rimfire stuff since that Appleseed shoot last summer. This will be fun.

Also, is there a reduced distance pistol challenge?

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

There is a 2 Gun Rim Fire Match which is rifle and pistol but that's a totally different animal

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3953395

Next month is posted ill go find targets to match this mess tomorrow.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bogon posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3953395

Next month is posted ill go find targets to match this mess tomorrow.

Yesssss

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I knew I had done this right before a bunch of busy happened in my life, but... November 22nd, according to my phone! What was I holding on to this for?

I did only one round that day for some reason. The range only goes to 15 yards, so for the 20 and 25 yard rounds, I used smaller cards at 10 yards. I did the math; they are the same size they'd be if they were full-sized cards at the proper distance. Of course, the holes don't get smaller, but this is the best I could do.

I scored 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, and 1 hits at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, quasi-20, and quasi-25 yards, respectively.

I used my Ruger Mark IV for this.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

I knew I had done this right before a bunch of busy happened in my life, but... November 22nd, according to my phone! What was I holding on to this for?

I did only one round that day for some reason. The range only goes to 15 yards, so for the 20 and 25 yard rounds, I used smaller cards at 10 yards. I did the math; they are the same size they'd be if they were full-sized cards at the proper distance. Of course, the holes don't get smaller, but this is the best I could do.

I scored 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, and 1 hits at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, quasi-20, and quasi-25 yards, respectively.

I used my Ruger Mark IV for this.

Nice! I appreciate the effort folks went to when they couldn't shoot at the "proper" distances.

I am presently tabulating the leaderboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Results are in the first post. Congratulations to Maze of Tzeentch, Tarlibone, and Davin Valkri for their first place finishes! If any of you want an infrared35 swag bag, drop me a PM with your address.