Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PERMACAV 50 posted:

It’s fun to burn down a boss in five seconds but man, it is boring as hell for there to be like, three guns worth using every season. Might just be that Season of the Fusion Rifle has gone on for quite a bit longer than it otherwise would have.

Between Arbalest/Telesto, Cartesian Coordinate, and Glacioclasm you can melt things ridiculously fast. Anything that shoots multiple rounds per shot or bypasses defenses

And yeah I think the extra-long season is what's making it outstay its welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

acumen posted:

Hey thanks! I only play one character though and from asking earlier I guess the stasis classes aren't mandatory? Unless I'm gonna get booted from pugs (if I even have time for that again) if I'm not an ice wizard I'm happy just running well of radiance or whatever instead.

You can freely swap between any of the elements, currently stasis is the only one where you unlock buffs and techniques but Void 3.0 is probably going to be similar. Those buffs, at least for warlock, have huge differences between them

That said stasis isn't the be-all-end-all, so if you don't get it maxed out you won't be at a huge disadvantage

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PERMACAV 50 posted:

For all their talk of "we want it to always be a great time to start playing Destiny," there objectively is a bad time to Start Playing Destiny, and it's the final season of an expansion year.

*raises hand*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Coldforge posted:

You did, son. You should have listened, sometimes mothers have good advice.

Forgive me spacewizard mommy :smith:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

good news now that Sony owns Bungie they’ve been hiring people to expand Destiny into other medias

I've heard a lot of their motivation was to make a Destiny movie, which would be... interesting

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh are catalysts going away for WQ?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I loved the excerpt from the Dawning:

quote:

Zavala: "We could welcome Caiatl to the Tower and celebrate the Dawning here, with all of us"

He stops briefly to watch two Guardians near the postmaster. They pelt one another with snowballs before launching themselves over the railing to their deaths. Their Ghosts patiently resurrect them where they stood. The Guardians break briefly into dance before charging off toward the Crucible.

Zavala: "On the other hand, our Dawning traditions may be strange to an outsider'.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I've had a lot more fun accepting that I will never catch up, and just doing whatever I find fun at the moment. It's nice to have the triumphs as a goal, but if I start getting frustrated I just change what triumph I'm doing or gently caress around shooting mooks on Europa or do a gambit or something. I'll grab random guns and see if there's something I like

The one thing I universally hate is inventory management. It's slow, it's clunky, it's tedious, and it's agonizing because you often can't be sure if something is good or not so it clogs everything up. I really wish they used a system like Mass Effect 3 had: you had one version of each [Gun Model], but you could customize it with mods and attachments. You collected the mods and attachments but they were basically interchangeable by weapon class, and you used other consumables as currency if you wanted to change or upgrade them.

My dream is that you can get mods by melting down a weapon to pick what trait you want to save and can then attach it, but I'll settle for only needing to carry one copy of each gun

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

harrygomm posted:

i think this is just based on light.gg, im getting the same ridiculous results. 2 hats both void attuned. same stat total, identical rolls except one has one more discipline the other one more strength. the one with discipline is kept because it is a “15/20” but the other one is to be trashed as worthless even though it has the same 15/20 spike.

60 combined stat chest marked as keep because it is ‘balanced’. 63 combined stat chest, same stat distro as the other except 3 stats are each 1 higher -> to the garbage bin

im not sure what it is but everyone i talk to, and everywhere i ask, all recommend doing some manual review of the vault every time i have questions. i dont get how people are supposed to learn for themselves. i can idly inventory manage on a phone app if i knew what to keep or pitch myself and do it during down time rather than spend time i can be playing instead going over gear with someone

im supposed to keep all 60+ stat armors, no only 63+ no only 65+, no only if you have at least one stat spike over 20 and another over 15 even if it is 50 stats overall, no only if it has 3+ 10+ stat spikes, no only if it is 55+ stats and a spike of 23+, no just keep the highest light level for each elemental attunement for each slot

i dont even know why people choose these reasons as the armor to keep. surely there are preferred stats for pveor pvp and i would want to built a set that maximizes those stats while minimizing the stat budget that is wasted on stats i dont care about. mrrobot figured that out for wow a decade ago, are there not such equivalent tools like that for destiny?

Here's how I go about item management in destiny (spoiler, it's lovely and tedious)

The tools I use are Destiny Item Manager (DIM) on PC (I play console, but it's easier to use with a M+KB), Vault Cleaner (VC) on PC, https://light.gg and the Little Light app for my iPhone, the Destiny 2 app, and the Braytech app. The last two are for tracking bounties and triumphs, so I only mention them for completeness.

Armor has a lot of different things to balance:
  • the six basic stats whose aggregate total only benefit when they hit a new breakpoint each 10 points (so 79 is no different from 70)
  • Which of those stats you want to prioritize, and in what order
  • The element used, which influences whether some mods can be put in
  • The amount of energy available, which influences how many mods can be included
  • if you want to include a specific exotic
  • Occasionally raid- or season-specific armor, which sometimes has a bonus slot for its relevant mod
  • how cool it looks when you use a dance emote

DIM has a loadout optimizer for armor which does a lot of the complicated searching for efficient combinations. So after I decide what kind of build I want to focus on, I use DIM to rank what my stat priorities are, select a specific exotic if applicable, list the mods I think are necessary, and it searches through my vault to find combinations that meet my needs and minimize wasted energy space or stats. I can then fill any remaining space with stat boosts or other mods. You can also tell it to consider upgrading and switching elements based on what consumables you're willing to spend, which is handy if you're not getting results.

Once I'm sure I have my loadouts created, I can switch to Vault Cleaner and tell it what to save and what to junk - anything in a loadout or labeled keep obviously gets saved, but maybe there's something else good I'm not currently using. I manually check anything it says to junk by hovering over, but after a few rounds it usually has my preferences down pretty well. It then locks all the "keep" items and unlocks all the unwanted stuff, so you go to the game and dismantle anything that's not locked (or use it to infuse something else, especially if it's the same part and saving you an upgrade module)

Generally, higher aggregate stat is better (60+ might be good, 65+ almost certainly is - note that this is *before* adding any +5 or +10 stat boosts). Highly differentiated armor, where most of the points are in two stats, are generally better because it's easier to mix and match to get stat combinations you want. Masterworking adds two points to EVERY stat, so if you're near a breakpoint you can MW a piece you know you'll use and bump you over.

Before I melt weapons I check them with light.gg to see if there's something I might have missed. Armor thankfully doesn't have perks to worry about, so I skip this step with armors.

Leveling up gear is important, so here's the basics:
  • The first five energy levels are paid for with Legendary Shards (purple crystals) that you get from melting purple items. They're the most common once you're reliably getting legendary drops and melting anything you don't like
  • Enhancement Cores (orange blobs) are the next tier for level six and seven (also requires legendary shards). They're slightly rarer but eventually will be common enough you won't feel bad pumping something up
  • Enhancement Prisms (big yellow crystals) are rarer still, and cost ten enhancement cores if you buy them from banshee or Ada (don't do this unless you really need to). They'll get you up to level 9
  • Ascendant Shards (golf ball) are incredibly rare and what people spend a lot of time grinding for. They get you to level 10 (Masterwork). Buying them is ten Enhancement Prisms
  • Note that exotic items cost more materials to upgrade each level - masterworking costs an extra Prism both levels and 3 Ascendant Shards to MW!

As a bonus for DIM, a recent update lets you swap armor mods for free and now you can use the same armor piece for different loadouts and DIM will try to swap all the mods out for you. Before this I used Little Light to swap equipment in and out of the Vault, but I may go entirely into DIM since it will track loadouts without me needing to recreate them

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Try a set of feets with absolution & better already. Get a void chest with well of tenacity, slap on devour, elemental armaments & gnawing hunger, and never ever die at all, ever.

Don't believe this man he tells lies, I have this and I die constantly (it's because I am trash) :negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Is hunter invis like those Fallen invisibility or is it total?

You can tell I don't play much PvP

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Are they trying to straighten out the new player experience? It was extremely confusing trying to figure out why there were three Uldrens, which were my friend and which were my enemy, whether the eliksni were friends or not, whether Cayde was dead or not, which Cabal between Ghaul/Calus/Caiatal I should know about, etc

I eventually figured it out but it was definitely not intuitive

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I just do a warlock float, if I splat into the rotating shield I just hang there until it rotates away v:shobon:v

I am very good at this game

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Paracelsus posted:

If you picked up the seasonal content in addition to the F2P stuff, this was the worst possible time for easy onboarding.

Are you familiar with Champion Fallen Captains yet? Also Vex Minotaurs and their Champion counterparts have a thing where it's not constant, exactly, it's just somehow perfectly timed to happen every time you pull the trigger with a special/heavy weapon.

I've tried changing up my shooting tempo and they still do this to me

That's why I've switched to splash damage builds. Dodge this motherfucker :argh:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Wear its rear end as a hat

Pyramidhead origin story

Silent Hill and Destiny are in the same cinematic universe! :monocle:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

:q:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's nice that blockers will still steal motes during the opponents primeval phase, but that's kind of mitigated by "more stealing is suspended while someone is fighting them"

We'll have to see if making envoys spawn at different fronts will peel enough people off to make that effect important

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

I wish instead of posting about how weird the clogged postmaster system is, people would take literally 2 minutes to just practice the most basic of rudimentary inventory management.

Counterpoint, if they want users to do inventory management it shouldn't be excruciating to use. If I want to manage my crap I have to:

• Pull up the loadout screen
  • Wait 10-15 seconds for everything to load
  • hover over stuff. However that doesn't always tell me everything like what its MW stat is, so I
  • Pull up details and wait another 10-15 seconds for it to load

If I'm lucky that's all I need. However if I have to interact with the vault then I have to

• travel to the HELM or tower, so another 15-30 second load time
  • Load the postmaster or vault, another 10-15 seconds
  • swap between inventory screen, vault screen, and details screen, accumulating loading time for each switch
  • Add in loading steps going between tower and helm because you have umbral engrams and prime engrams which are inexplicably in different locations, or if you want to focus only some of your umbral engrams
  • heaven help you if you forgot something and have to go back and check it all again

Some of this is mitigated by third party apps like DIM but that's only a partial solution because you can't shard, infuse, upgrade, or anything else that costs resources or deletes items. Which is understandable to prevent another vector for someone to get hacked and all their stuff deleted. But you know a simple way to avoid all this headache?

Just let people remake any weapon they've unlocked. Let them fabricate any combination of perks they've picked up already, so there's still incentive to grind to unlock all the perks/slots for a favorite weapon, but there's no penalty to melting everything because you can always recover something you've already found

It can take me half an hour to go through poo poo, even using things like vault cleaner and DIM, and it still takes forever because I have to double-check (just give me a few boxes or folders or something!) that I'm picking the right item, and then delete a bunch. All of which time I don't enjoy and could be shooting space monsters, so it causes me to actively avoid it

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah if I could get a new pc/console I'm sure a lot of the wait would be mitigated but *gestures at world*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Even recent raids can be way out of date, I was watching Last Wish guides and some stuff was surprisingly outdated

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Managed to finish the Birds of Prey quest with literally a minute to spare

I know it's not super important but it was a fun low-stakes timer to race against before servers went down

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

frajaq posted:

lets be honest those Cabal Centurions are gonna be just for show right, still looks like a badass Season tbh

Yeah I assume they'd be like spider's eliksni or Braytech droids, just kind of there

Still cool

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Screen went from "Destiny is temporarily at capacity" back to "no peeking"

This bodes well for server stability

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Summon a legionary not for the guns but so the drop pod squishes my enemy

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

I made a thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994303&pagenumber=1#lastpost

im pretty good about constructive criticism and would happily add or modify anything, and would love some help with the under construction parts if you have any ideas!

See my posts for new player experience, I'm gonna rewrite it with what I know to help newbies out

Edit: some stuff is in the console thread, I'll pull that in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Postin here to not clutter up new thread

Destiny 2 New Player Guide
tl;dr You are a loot-crazed murder-zombie, have at it champ. Do what's fun. If you're not having fun, do a different thing

What I wish people had explained better starting out:
  • Bungie has a large disregard for new players. They like them and want to support them, but they're clearly an afterthought. Because of this, the new player experience is extremely confusing and unclear
  • Story quests can be done out of order and might involve going back and forth between events that were separated by several years. This allows players to get into most events quickly, but don't be surprised if characters are simultaneously allies, enemies, and mysterious newcomers and appear in multiple locations at the same time. Some of this should be streamlined better with Witch Queen sunsetting several locations and quest lines but who knows. Just roll with it, don't be worried if you're confused, just shoot everything and chalk it up to paracausal time travel fuckery
  • The UI is horrible and multiple things are split over several pages or in-game locations. Again, expect to get lost a lot and only figure things out after multiple attempts
  • Stats only benefit you every 10 points. Having 19 Recovery is no better than 10 Recovery - you want to get to those "break points" without going too far over, so don't waste armor slots on stat boost mods unless it pushes you over
  • Free Roam areas (any time you're not on a mission) will continue to spawn enemies indefinitely, it's not necessary to kill everything before moving on to a new spot. Periodically Public Events will spawn on the map (the sky will darken and an alarm will sound) which have particular objectives and anyone on the map can participate. Regardless of how poorly you do there will be awards, but successfully completing the event obviously provides more. Meeting special secret conditions can turn them into Heroic public events with harder enemies and better rewards (sometimes). Before they start, a flag with a timer will appear that will recharge all your abilities and ammo
  • There are multiple Power Caps that aren't well explained. Your Light (a number between 1350 and ~1560) is essentially your level and a multiplier to your damage and defense.
    • Item drops will vary +/- a few points of the highest Light level item you own. Note this item doesn't need to be equipped or even on your person, it can be in the Vault (storage) and it will still count for the calculation. So save your highest-Light level items until you're to a higher light level. Infusing the stuff you use with these higher-level items can keep your inventory under control, but don't waste Upgrade Modules until higher levels
    • After a certain point you'll reach the Soft Cap (1500). After this point, no items will randomly drop above this value. To boost them you must complete Powerful item quests, which are available each week that are guaranteed to have enhanced stats. Try to do these to accelerate your Light progression. The eight vendor bounties are the best way to do this each week. This is the start of "the grind" where you start repeatedly doing quests to improve your light level.
    • After a while you'll hit the Pinnacle Cap (1530) where even Powerful quests won't drop any higher. After this point, only Pinnacle activities will drop higher-level items.
    • Finally, you hit the Hard Cap (1560) where you won't get any further. Now your focus will probably getting specific items, rolls, and improved drops.
    • NOT INCLUDED in these scores is the seasonal bonus, which can boost you 20-30 light levels for completing Seasonal activities and quests. Hover over your light level to see the contribution from the season vs. your base level.
  • The main enemies are
    • Cabal (burly elephant men and jackal skirmishers) that use big red fiery guns and arrive in drop pods. Led by (formerly) Ghaul, Calus, and (currently) Caiatal
    • Fallen (six armed insectile people) that typically use blue electricity guns and arrive in flying spaceships that make crack-crack sonic booms
    • Hive (chitinous worm people) that use green magic and warp in on blocky tomb ships. Led by the siblings (formerly) Oryx, Xivu Arath, and Savathûn
    • Vex (robots with glowy goo) that use laser blasters and teleport into the battlefield with reality-changing white lattice effects. Led by entities called Minds that you tend to blow up a lot
    • Taken (shadow versions of everyone) that zip around and collapse into black holes when killed, led (formerly) by corrupted Oryx the Taken King and (now) Xivu Arath
    • Scorn (Fallen but gray and wearing distinctive gold jewelry and appear in blue smoke and a spooky sound) that are zombie versions of Fallen using corrupted ether
    • Lucent Hive - hive followers of Savathûn who have gained a connection to the Light. In addition to regular hive, combatants can gain a lucent moth buff that adds a shield. When you shoot it the moth will fly up and off, and after a second can be shot for a small explosion. If you don't, the moth will either shield a new enemy or kamikaze into a guardian. Technically these aren't Lucent Hive - only those with Guardian powers and Hive Ghosts are. They are ultra-tough bosses that will throw Supers at you and resurrect if you don't use a Finisher on their Ghost
    • By now in the story some Cabal and Fallen (Eliknsi) are allies, and just before Witch Queen we were helping a Hive leader named Savathun known for her trickery who is presumably the big bad this season. Don't worry too much, just shoot everything and remember glowy bits are vulnerable spots

• There are four tiers of items: green, blue, purple, yellow (denoted by the color of the icon's background) corresponding to Common, Uncommon, Legendary, and Exotic. Greens disappear basically immediately and Blues are irrelevant. Seriously, never worry about melting down a blue item, only use it if you like it more than a purple legendary you have. You can always order it again if you really want it (but you almost certainly won't)
    • Legendary (purple) items are your bread and butter. Just use whatever you have fun with, play styles vary. The important thing to note is Perks, which are random qualities that weapons have. Blues get one perk, Legendaries get at least two. Otherwise identical weapons can behave quite differently depending on perk combinations, so be sure to try them out. See the weapon section for guides on good perks. Armor, in contrast to weapons, have Ability Stat Boots. There's a lot of nuance to this but generally anything above 60 total stat bonus before armor mods is worth keeping at first. Because of their random stats/perks, most purple items cannot be ordered from the archive.
    • Exotic (yellow) items are unique weapons and armor that do unique things. You can only equip one exotic weapon and one exotic armor item. The perk/stats for them can be random, so there's still incentive to acquire multiple and keep the best. Some exotics drop randomly from enemies, some can only be acquired by specific story quests, some have to be acquired by completing Lost Sectors at high levels.
    • Exotic weapons also sometimes have Catalysts which unlock additional abilities for the weapon. They usually involve killing X number of enemies. You have to first find the catalyst, then unlock it, then apply it to get the benefit, which includes Masterworking it. You can tell if a weapon has a catalyst if it has a blank circular medallion space on its details screen.
    • Masterwork items have a shiny gold border around the item. Masterwork weapons have a bonus boost to their chosen stat and drop Orbs of Light on kills, MW armor boosts every ability stat +2
    • Don't worry about picking up everything - anything you miss will be sent to the Postmaster - but be sure to check it frequently, because it will fill up after 20 items and will push older stuff out and destroy it.

Events and Activities
These are the types of events you can participate in. Note that not all are available unless you purchase expansions or season passes.
  • Open-world
    • Patrols - events in the free roam areas you trigger by activating a quest-giving probe or soldier. You shoot X number of enemies, pick up Y resources, go to Z location, etc. They're fun little mini-missions that get you to explore around
    • Public Events - pick up events that occur in the free roam area at regular intervals. Can often be done solo but designed to be done with multiple people. Doing special event-specific things will trigger Heroic versions which have harder enemies and better rewards
    • The Blind Well - pick-up activity within the Dreaming City, using the same hub map used for the beginning and end of Astral Alignment. After spending an item (Charge of Light, from I to III) to activate the Well, the room fills with toxic fog and enemies start spawning. Killing them will charge the well, and players must move from safety bubble to safety bubble. Some enemies glow and drop a Harmony orb when defeated that allows free movement through the fog for 15 seconds. Other enemies are immune unless the player has Harmony; killing all these Servants will allow a chance to start the Heroic version of the event. After 5 rounds the final boss appears; with a Tier 3 boss defeated, adding a Corrupted Charge will start a bonus round with a new boss and give additional rewards.
    • Altars of Sorrow is a Moon event where you try to stop Hive from suiciding into a sacrificial altar with a green pillar of magic light. There are five tiers plus the final boss with escalating numbers and toughness of enemies, plus number of sources for them. You advance tiers by killing Nightmares, and occasionally you kill wizards to spawn more Nightmares to kill. The wizards have shields that need Hive Swords to break through, and the boss will need you to collect Unstable Essences to get through their immunity phase.
  • Vanguard PvE
    • Strikes - small, 1-3 player, specific missions usually tied into quest progression. Found on the Destinations tab under the Vanguard area and are random. You're often match-made with someone going through the story-line, so if you are doing the story and you see someone appear in your mission and then blast off like a rocket that's probably what happened: they're racing to finish the mission fast to get to the next. Usually only take a few minutes to complete
    • Nightfall (NF) - same as strikes, but more difficult. Unlike Strikes which are random, each Nightfall is the same for that entire week
    • Grandmaster Nightfall (GMNF) - endgame versions, people do these to farm Ascendant Shards and other resources.
    • Proving Battlegrounds - (Rolled into strikes) Cabal-specific missions that involve a few battles and a few mechanics to knock down shields before beating a boss, part of the Season of the Chosen. You can smash a chest with a hammer at the end. The story line ends with the Proving Grounds strike, usually has to be unlocked with story progression. Rotates randomly. Accessed from the Destinations tab under the Vanguard strike activities mixed in with the others.
  • Mission/Map based
    • Raid - Massive six player missions that take upwards of several hours to complete. They tend to have multiple setpiece battles with tough bosses that require unique mechanics to defeat, complicated puzzles, and special rewards at the end. Last Wish, Vault of Glass (VoG), Deep Stone Crypt (DSC), and Garden of Salvation (GoS) are Raids.
    • Dungeon - mini-raid with unique mechanics that only require 1-3 players and slightly less time to complete. The Shattered Throne, Pit of Heresy, Prophecy, and Grasp of Avarice (GoA) are dungeons.
    • PsiOps Battlegrounds - Season of the Risen activity, you chase after Lucent Hive and try to capture them alive. You do this by using Cabal Psions to fight inside their minds and sever their connection to Savathûn; basically you shoot stuff until it's dead. Special mechanic is the Synaptic Spear, which you hurl at aspects of Savathûn whenever she shows up. Prior to this, Hive wizards will also have shields that need hive swords to break through and open portals to advance, but voiceovers should explain that. Individual runs are accessed from different locations on the map, but the special event is accessed at the H.E.L.M.
    • Overdrive - (deprecated) Vex-specific six-player matchmaking mission where you hack into the matrix Vex mind space and complete some unique mechanics to get to and kill the final boss. Rotates between three locations each week. Bonus loot chest is available if you have key codes, acquired by using your Splicer Gauntlet quest item to convert ether from killed enemies into access keys. Accessed from within the H.E.L.M.
    • Expunge - (deprecated) Vex-specific solo mission where you solve puzzles before defeating the final boss. Also has an enhanced "corrupted" version with harder enemies that has an extra loot chest at the end, but requires corrupted keys from Overdrive. Both are from the Season of the Splicer. Different versions are accessible on the Moon, Nessus, Europa, etc.
    • Shattered Realm - weekly-rotating one of three pocket dimensions in the Ascendant Realm, a dark spooky shadow realm full of Taken. Involves two fights around killing enemies around two "beacons", then fighting the final boss to rescue a Techeun. Also include bonus puzzles and mechanics with hidden chests and platforms, areas that require a special quest exotic weapon (Ager's Scepter) to open, and a few surprises. From the Season of the Lost, accessed from within the H.E.L.M.
    • Astral Alignment - six player matchmade game with two random battles (chosen from four) with different mechanics and a weekly-rotating final boss. Accessed from within The Dreaming City
    • Dares of Eternity - bonkers wacky gauntlet played as a game show with tons of loot. Part of Bungie's 30th Anniversary celebration.
    • Wrathborn Hunt - (deprecated) mission where you hunted corrupted versions of monsters.
  • Crucible PvP
    • Control - Team territory control, there are three zones A, B, and C, that can be captured. Points are accumulated for which team has the most
    • Survival - Typical deathmatch
    • Mayhem - Grenades and Supers charge extremely quickly
    • Scorch - everyone gets Scorch Rocket Launchers
    • Survival - teams are given a set number of revives, after they're gone then players no longer respawn
    • Iron Banner - technically its own thing, but a special version of Crucible led by Saladin that appears for one week a month.
  • Gambit - combined PvE and PvP mode. Players must kill NPC enemies to collect motes and deposit them in a central bank. Doing so spawns enemies at the other team's bank, preventing them from depositing and sometimes stealing more motes. After accumulating 100 motes, a Primeval boss is spawned. First to kill their boss wins. PvP comes in where a portal will periodically open up and allow players to Invade the other team and kill them, potentially healing their enemy's Primeval

Bounties
Several NPC vendors will sell bounties that give specific rewards for completing certain tasks.
  • The Tower
    • Banshee-44 (weapons) - sells bounties involving using certain weapons. Completing 8 of his bounties in a week will net a bonus Powerful weapon. Also sells Upgrade Modules, Enhancement Prisms, and Ascendant Shards (expensive, don't do unless you really need it)
    • Ada-1 (cosmetics) - gives bounties that let you transmogrify items to look like others (except exotics), and as everyone knows Destiny is a Fashion Simulator with a FPS side quest. Also sells Armor Mods on rotation, so be sure to visit frequently.
    • Zavala (Vanguard) - gives bounties for completing tasks within Vanguard missions like Strikes and Nightfalls, Completing 8 in a week will provide a Powerful weapon
    • Drifter (Gambit) - gives bounties for completing tasks in Gambit games
    • Lord Shaxx (Crucible) - bounties for completing tasks within Crucible
    • Suraya Hawthorne (clan) - bonus bounties for completing activities with your clan, gets you lots of great free stuff each week. Join Maximum Overchill (discord link here)
    • Saint-14 - Trials of Osiris is a team tournament activity I don't know much about, and he has bounties related to that
    • Lord Saladin (Iron Banner) - A variant of Crucible that appears for one week about once a month, and he has related bounties.
    • Eva (Seasonal celebration) - grandma that occasionally appears during holiday events like the Dawning (Destiny Christmas) and such with a holiday item and bounties related to them.
  • The H.E.L.M.
    • Splicer Servitor (deprecated Expunge/Overdrive) - quests related to Expunge or Overdrive, though also can sometimes be completed with regular use. Also upgrades to you Splicer Gauntlet
    • Wayfarer's Compass (Astral Alignment/Shattered Realm) - quests related to activities from Season of the Lost
    • War Table - quests related to PsiOps Battlegrounds
  • Location Specific
    • Variks - Empire Hunts and completing tasks on Europa
    • The Exo Stranger - quests on and off Europa related to Stasis Powers
    • Devrim Kay - European Dead Zone (EDZ)
    • Shaw Han - Cosmodrome
    • Failsafe - Nessus
    • Petra Venj - Dreaming City
    • Eris Morn - Moon
    • Fynch - Throne World, the new Season of the Risen contact

Resources:
Resources and their relative values weren't clear at all for me at first, so here's my rough summary
  • Glimmer (money) is the basic currency for everything and looks like electric blue cubes, capped at 250,000. Most commonly used for low-level upgrades and buying bounties or applying some mods. In-game it's programmable matter. Spend freely
  • Engrams (loot) are loot drops and look like polygonal soccer balls. They'll be colored based on the tier of item they posses. In lore they're ways of storing matter in protected encrypted form. Most unlock when picked up.
    • Prime engrams are brighter and need to be unlocked by Rahool at the tower. Regular engrams will usually unlock when you acquire them.
    • Umbral engrams are shadow-tainted ones that must be cleansed before use. You can either unlock them for random items at Rahool or Focus them at the War Table in the H.E.L.M. (Check the second page) to target a specific thing you're farming. More focusing will require more special resources, usually involving the seasonal mechanic. This season it's Umbral Energy or something like that
    • Eververse engrams are white and just give you cosmetic stuff like ships, sparrows (motorcycle), emotes, and item skins. They're unlocked on the Store tab.
  • Planetary resources are unique little nodes for each location that you collect and can exchange for items. Just grab them as you run around. Examples are Dusklight Shards (EDZ), Spinmetal Leaves (Cosmodrome), Microphasic Datalattice (Nessus), Baryon Bough (Dreaming City), Glacial Starwort (Europa), Helium Fragment (Moon), and sunsetted Etheric Spiral (Tangled Shore). Some can also be used to level up your relationship with the local character leader to purchase items they sell, but I think this is a suboptimal method. The throne world has Fundamental Osmium but you don't actually pick anything up, it just goes directly to upgrading your level with Fynch
  • Item upgrading resources are used to increase the level of items (not its Light level) from 1-10. They are:
    • Legendary Shards (purple crystals) - found from melting purple items, eventually quite common as you accumulate enough stuff and start melting everything. Takes armor up to level 5, weapons up to 3, and ghosts up to 6
    • Enhancement Cores (orange blobs) - found occasionally from melting items and some quests, eventually somewhat common. Takes armor through 6 & 7, and upgrades weapons and ghosts up to 10
    • Enhancement Prisms (yellow crystals) - found from some high-level quests and seasonal leveling, relatively rare. Takes armor through 8 & 9
    • Ascendant Shards (golf ball) - extremely rare and usual limiting factor, found from end-level quests. Masterworks armor with level 10.
    • Ascendant Alloy - (red golf ball) used in the crafting of weapons for new upgraded perks
    • Deepsight Resonances/Essences are part of the new weapon crafting introduced in Witch Queen. Occasionally a weapon will drop with a red border - this item when used will become "attuned" and can be harvested once. The materials harvested are based on its perks and have names like Adroit, Energetic, etc. You can see how much you have by hovering over the perks before you harvest.
    • Exotic items require more of each resource per level - details can be found here
  • Upgrade Module - used to Infuse an item with the Light level of a different but related item. Somewhat rare so use sparingly, but can be purchased with a combination of Glimmer, Shards, and Planetary resources. Items infused with identical items cost only Glimmer to do so, so if you get a high-light item of something you like but with a trash roll you can upgrade your existing one for cheap. For example, if you had a 1978 Corvette with Turbo Boost and picked up a 2018 Corvette with Cool Gas Cap you could Infuse the first using the second to get a 2018 Corvette with Turbo for 1000 Glimmer. Upgrading it using a 2021 Prius would require using an Upgrade Module

Weapon Crafting
  • Witch Queen introduced The Relic which is a crafting table in the Enclave on Mars (accessible through the Throne World in the Destinations map). The process is new and people are still figuring it out, but roughly as follows:
    • After unlocking the Relic in story mode by advancing the campaign, weapons will drop that have a red border on them - these weapons have the Deepsight Resonance perk, in addition to the two regular perks. Using these weapons will "attune" them. Once fully attuned, the resource (called Essences) can be harvested after which the gun reverts to a normal legendary weapon.
    • Before you harvest, you can hover over the perks you have to see how much of that Essence you have to help you decide which to pick. You'll sometimes only have one choice when both perks drop the same Essence.
    • After attuning a set number of any given weapon, its Pattern will be unlocked and you can craft it. This means that some weapons will not only need to drop 3+ times, but they'll have to be red-border weapons AND you'll have to use them enough to attune them. Then you can craft that specific weapon
    • Once you do, you can visit the Relic and craft (called Shaping) your item. At first you can only use a basic frame and a few low-grade perks, but it's nice to pick what you want.
    • You then use the item to level it up - this is in contrast to most weapons, where you spend resources to increase their level.
    • At certain level breakpoints you will access new perks and frames. Typically it's something like every odd level I think.
    • You can then Reshape your weapon and switch out the perks. Of specific note are enhanced versions of regular perks which provide additional benefits (supposedly). There's been a bunch of problems where some enhanced versions don't actually do anything, and others that aren't worth the cost.
    • Speaking of cost, this is where Ascendant Alloy gets used up. This is basically an Ascendant Shard for crafted weapons.
    • You can continue to use the weapon and it will continue to level up, unlocking access to new perks and other features.
  • Attuning is advanced by killing combatants and by completing events. You don't even have to shoot a gun, just have it equipped.
  • Some random drops are still better than crafting versions because not all combinations (or weapons) are craftable.
  • More details can be found here
Weapon, Armor, and Ghost Mods
Mods are things that can be applied to items to give you extra bonuses or enhancements. Weapons can equip one mod, while armor can equip as many as four (plus a fifth raid-specific mod on some pieces), and Ghosts can equip five once masterworked. They're generally cheap (500 Glimmer) or free to swap around, so just experiment and see what you like.

Armor Mod categories
  • Ability (first slot) - The first slot allows you to give a +5 or +10 bonus to one of the six ability stats. More valuable and larger boosts take up more energy slots
  • Item mod (second and third slot) - These interact with weapons or abilities, improving specific types (like Auto Rifles or Submachine Guns), things like Melee or Grenade abilities, or resistances to damage.
  • Special (fourth slot) - these usually hold a special kind of mechanic. Generally you only want to focus on one because you're limited to five total (one per armor item)
    • Elemental Well - performing certain actions (usually killing enemies a certain way) creates elemental balls. These charge your abilities, and will do more if they match your subclass energy type. Mods can further enhance this effect, focusing the charging effect on grenades, melee, class ability, or Super
    • Warmind Cells - generates Warminds, which are basically glowy explodey balls, and enhances the benefits when these balls are near you, allies, or enemies
    • Charged With Light - meeting certain conditions will cause your character to gain the Charged with Light (CWL) status, and performing certain actions while CWL will enhance those effects, boosting damage, defense, healing, stats, etc. after consuming some of those charges.
    • Raid - a bonus fifth slot some pieces have that will give extra benefits only during that particular raid.
Ghost Mod categories
  • Experience Mods (first socket) - boosts experience. As a new player you probably want this. Takes 1-6 energy slots
  • Tracking Mods (second socket) - highlights planetary resource nods or chests (or both!). Nice if you're short on Glimmer or looking for them. 1-6 energy slots
  • Economic Mods (third socket) - boosts rewards when picking up items. Can boost Glimmer, Planetary resources, public event rewards, or which stats are maximized on armor drops. 1-6 energy slots
  • Activity Mods (fourth socket) - bonus rewards for certain activities like Gambit, Crucible, or Vanguard events. Use when farming certain for certain items.

Energy/Subclass Types:
  • Arc - Electricity, based on the Electromagnetic force and tends to chain between enemies
  • Solar - Fire, based on the Strong Nuclear force and entropic decay, tends to create explosions and burning by exciting atoms into exploding
  • Void - Vacuum, based on the Weak Nuclear force, tends to decay and devour
  • Stasis - Shadow, seems to be anti-entropic Solar in that it removes energy and freezes them. Effectively an ice class that slows, freezes, and shatters

Items and Item Slots:
  • Weapons
    • Kinetic Weapon - first slot, usually doesn't have an energy type associated with it but sometimes Stasis. Can either have infinite regular (white) ammo or limited Special (green) ammo
    • Energy Weapon - second slot, always has an energy type (Arc, Solar, Void, or Stasis). Can have infinite regular ammo or limited Special ammo, but typically is special.
    • Power Weapon - heavy item, always has an energy type, uses Heavy (purple) ammo.

• Armor
    • Helmet - Holds ammo-finding and weapon targeting mods
    • Arms - holds weapon reloading and weapon ready/stowing mods
    • Chest - holds bonus ammo reserve (how much you carry) mods and weapon flinch-resistance mods
    • Legs - holds stored weapon reloading mods (holsters) and bonus ammo collection (how much you pick up per pack) mods
  • Other
    • Season Item - The Season Item also appears on the equipment screen. For the Witch Queen it's the Synaptic Spear
    • Ghost - more like an armor item slot than a weapon, has mods that boost your level progression.

Leveling Mechanics
  • Light - the number corresponding to an item's overall power, usually between 1100-1520(?) for Witch Queen. Bigger number is better. Items' Light level can be increased by "Infusing" them with similar items that get consumed in the process. Your Character level is determined by the composite of all the items you have equipped.
  • Season Level - each season has its own level that resets when it starts. It provides a bonus to your Light level of something like 20-30 light. Will typically include progress from the previous season. It's on the main Quests screen tab
  • Season Item - not at all confusing, each season also has a special item you can level up. It will unlock new mods, powers, and abilities targeted for that season. The Hammer of Proving, Splicer Gauntlet, and Wayfinder's Compass were season items, now it's the Synaptic Spear
  • Item Upgrading - each weapon and armor item can be leveled up from 1 to 10. At 10 they become masterwork, which provides additional benefits. Weapons increase one of their stats with leveling, and shooting enemies with Masterwork weapons drops Orbs of Power that can power and recharge abilities. Leveling Armor allows space for more armor mods, and masterworking adds a +2 bonus to every stat. With six stats on each of four armor items, MW can add over 50 points to your stat total! It costs resources to level and can get expensive fast though.
  • Crafted Item Level - using an item you've crafted at the Enclave will increase its level, allowing you to put more powerful perks on it
  • Unlocking - some items, quests, abilities, and activities are gatekept behind quest progression. Stasis requires completing quests and collecting items to unlock all its Aspects and Abilities; presumably Void 3.0 will follow this design practice. Some activities will also unlock only after you've done the story mission. Weapon and Armor mods have to be found or bought before you can equip them. If you can't find something, it's probably because you haven't unlocked it yet (thought it's also possible it's something that's been sunset. Bungie does this a lot and search engines aren't great at curating what is relevant).

Item Management

The tools I use are Destiny Item Manager (DIM) (I play console, but it's easier to use with a M+KB), Vault Cleaner (VC), https://light.gg, the Destiny 2 Companion app, and the Braytech app. The last two are for tracking bounties and triumphs, so I only mention them for completeness. Unless otherwise noted these apps access your account through a Bungie API so they can see your account directly.

Though DIM and VC are designed to be used on a PC, they can be loaded on your iPhone (and I assume Android) and used like an app. To do this on iPhone, open the URL in Safari, go to options, and select Add to Home Screen - this will create a button that will go directly to the page and keep your login information.

• Destiny Item Manager
    • You can move items around at basically any time except Locked/Match activities. You don't have to go to the Vault, just swap things out between firefights (or during one, if you're feeling sporty spicy).
    • You can filter, sort, and organize your entire item set to find exactly which item you're looking for. You can search via perk name, energy type, weapon type, and more! So if you're making a build and need "Demolitionist", you can search "perkname:demolitionist is:void is:fusionrifle" to find if you've still got that Glacioclasm
    • You can tag items with things like "Favorite", "Keep", "Infuse", etc. to organize things. Then you can sort for those tags and do whatever you meant for them.
    • Speaking of builds, you can create Loadouts which are collections of armor and weapons and armor mods, and have them applied for you. This is extremely useful, to say the least.
    • Even more useful in my opinion is Armor Optimization, where you give it your criteria and it will assemble an entire kit with as few wasted stats as possible! You rank your importance of stats, what ranges you want for each, what mods or exotics you want, and what you're willing to spend on upgrading them. Once done it will show you a list of acceptable builds which you can then save as a loadout or modify. This was insanely helpful when I was trying to cram 5 Elemental Well mods plus some grenade mods into my Void Grenade Warlock build.
    • DIM also tracks things like quests, resources, triumphs, season progress etc. though this is secondary to its main function of item management.
  • light.gg
      Don't know if that hand cannon is worth keeping? Trying to choose between two pulse rifles with different perks? light.gg can help you out
    • light.gg scrapes the data on which weapons players are using and which perks they have. Based on this, they can get an idea of which items are top-tier and which are so-so.
    • This allows you to go through your vault and assess which items are probably worth keeping and which are shard food
    • Note that perk combinations aren't assessed so there still might be something that's a great roll but only because it has two otherwise crappy perks together
  • Vault Cleaner
      Overwhelmed by your vault? Go through it and get some space for more crap! (shard don't keep)
    • Goes through your weapons and/or your armor and compares them directly
    • Assesses each based on categories, so you're only looking at one weapon type or one armor slot at a time
    • Automatically sorts items based on if it thinks it's worth keeping or it's trash based on the settings used at the start
    • If you disagree with a particular choice you can just drag an item to the other side
    • Once done, it will Lock or Unlock the item based whether you should Keep or Discard it.
    • You still have to dismantle everything manually, it only locks/unlocks items, so no worry about it deleting something without your input
    • I've noticed a weird bug where something that is unlocked in the vault becomes locked when transferred to my character for infusing. It only happens sometimes, so I don't know what the deal is, so Guardian beware

Armor has a lot of different things to balance:
  • the six basic stats whose aggregate total only benefit when they hit a new breakpoint each 10 points (so 79 is no different from 70)
  • Which of those stats you want to prioritize, and in what order
  • The element used, which influences whether some mods can be put in
  • The amount of energy available, which influences how many mods can be included
  • if you want to include a specific exotic
  • Occasionally raid- or season-specific armor, which sometimes has a bonus slot for its relevant mod
  • how cool it looks when you use a dance emote

Generally, higher aggregate stat is better (60+ might be good, 65+ almost certainly is - note that this is *before* adding any +5 or +10 stat boosts). Highly differentiated armor, where most of the points are in two stats, are generally better because it's easier to mix and match to get stat combinations you want. Masterworking adds two points to EVERY stat, so if you're near a breakpoint you can MW a piece you know you'll use and bump you over.

Before I melt weapons I check them with light.gg to see if there's something I might have missed. Armor thankfully doesn't have perks to worry about, so I skip this step with armors.

Champions
Some activities have especially hard micro-bosses that require special mods to defeat. These mods are usually unlocked on the Season Item and must be equipped in one of your armor's slots, though a few weapons are inherently anti-champion (the Arbalest linear fusion exotic is anti-barrier, for example)
  • Overload champions (circle) regenerate health almost constantly and need to be stunned to stop them. You can sometimes power through them with concentrated fire
  • Unstoppable champions (square) don't usually regenerate, but they will charge at you and won't stop until one of you is dead or you stun them
  • Barrier champions (triangle) will toss up an impenetrable shield and regenerate all their health unless stunned by something that can pierce the bubble

Lost Sectors
On every overworld map there are hidden sections accessible through tiny little hidden hallways. They're marked in-game and in the game map with a distinctive symbol. At the end of them is a tough mini-boss and a special chest full of loot. After you defeat it, you access Legend and Master versions which are significantly tougher versions. These versions rotate throughout the week and are accessed by a flag outside the entrance. You can see which ones there are on the map by a shield or shield and sword symbol on them. Equipment is locked, shields are stronger and often only damaged by the correct energy type, there are Champions, and for Master level your number of revives is limited. The benefit to clearing lost sectors is a targeted exotic armor slot - arms, legs, head, etc. - with good stats, so they're a common farming target.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 6, 2022