Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Apparently Survival Comp mode changed from starting each round with 4 team-shared lives to 6, which is an unannounced change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Silly question, how does the newly introduced 'Elemental Capacitor' perk work when you have a Stasis subclass equipped?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

For people like me that stoped playing after shadowkeep campaing, is there an easy way to make sense of what is sunset and what is not without looking at a spreadsheet? edit: would be nice to not have to memorize the seasons little icons or order of release also
If you use DIM (which the game almost forces you to do) you can filter based on "powerlimit<1260" to show everything that's been sunset (both armor and weapons).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I haven't played Destiny since destiny 1 and the black shadow guys turned up. Thought I'd give this a go seeing as how it's free. I did a mission on the cosmosdrone and then a strike to kill a witch the one mission that lead to cayde being killed, another on the moon with crota and then freed the fallen guy on europa. Is that it for the free content?
You can join any of the playlist activities (Gambit, Crucible, and regular Strikes), and you can go to any of the planets and run around completing Patrols, Public Events, and Lost Sectors. You can also go to the Tower and collect bounties which dictate how you should do all those things in a way that gives you meaningful rewards.

But if you're looking for a narrative structure or some kind of story progression, I guess the answer is "yeah, you have to buy something to receive any motivation to continue playing the game." Despite that, I don't know if you can access the content that would help bridge the gap between when you stopped playing in Destiny 1 and what you can play now.

Orv posted:

I feel like the moment that popup for breaking allies out of stasis came up with Variks in the first mission it was hard confirmation that allies being stasis'd was gonna be a whole thing and since it never comes up again in any of the campaign/post-campaign stuff I'm pretty sure the raid is gonna be lousy with it.
It feels like it takes a lot of damage to break somebody out of Stasis, unless the ice actually factors in your Light Level and it'll be faster if you're at 1260.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

A sunsetting question: is it assumed that next season's gear will have a Power Cap of 1660, as opposed to this season's gear with a Cap of 1410, so that the gear remains relevant for 1 full year and useable with the next expansion (assuming 50 LL increases per season and another 200 for each expansion)?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They're gonna run out of things to disable/remove.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

A bug came out yesterday that allowed you to duplicate weak Lure mods (the 2nd slot), but there are now reports that the Wrathborn Hunt mods don't even work, with perk exclusion/inclusion mods still resulting in weapons with/without the specified perks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Does the Reconstruction perk on the new machine gun stack with Actium War Rig for Titans?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Disable swords in pvp and it fixes the glitch
Yeah, it's weird that they would disable all of Trials for the whole weekend instead of just the sword, since we know they can disable weapons pretty much instantly. I would presume they'll disable the sword anyways, because otherwise the rest of Crucible/Gambit is going to be pretty rough when every match has Titan ghosts haunting the map.

Their tweet even hedged on whether Trials would come back next week, so I wonder if PvP balance isn't the real concern and instead they're just behind schedule on their new Adept Weapon system.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I just started playing again after mobo failure like week one of the expac and holy poo poo Behemoth gets crazy good once you get the second aspect

Like went from "this is the best PvP spec in the game if you learn it and know what you're doing" to "haha ice go crack" as the game plays itself for you lol
Enjoy it now, because it might get disabled since it's the class that can go permanently invisible due to the sword glitch.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Apparently the invisibility thing is everyone, it's just by far the easiest on Titan. I dunno specifics of that whole thing though, and Bungie already made the call to kill trials so lol
Ah, Cheese Forever just released a video on the invis glitch, and it's actually funny to watch and think of the implications.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQmQ-hpafw

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I think it's more likely that Lament is just an OP weapon that will get nerfed eventually. Bungie has a much longer history of introducing poorly balanced weapons/mechanics than they do of tuning exotic items to be superior to comparable weapons/armor in their archetype/slot.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

F2P is definitely still limited to the exotics that don't require paid expansions. I don't think the game makes this very clear, so some players could spend a lot of time trying to grind out exotics they see missing from their collection without realizing they have to pay to get them.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Are you sure it's not the constant "Monument to Lost Light" console flashing if you have an Exotic Cipher in your inventory?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

life_source posted:

Is there a way to see what the world drop lists are? Mainly what Banshee and Zavala give you for turn-ins.
There's nothing in-game for this since they disabled the Engram Preview for the Tower vendors. I believe the 3 core playlist vendors can drop pieces from their related armor set, their 1 activity specific gun, and any weapon from the world loot pool. I assume Banshee is limited to the world drop weapons.

The current world loot pool can be found in this infographic as any weapon with a purple engram next to it that doesn't expire at the end of this season:

or to summarize it:

Bungie announced that the world drop pool would favor dropping weapons with higher power caps, but I don't know how that factors into vendor rewards. Regardless, it's enough weapons that you will have to go through a lot of engrams to try to farm a good roll on a specific weapons, but also a surprisingly small number of weapons considering the effects of sunsetting on the total number of viable weapons currently in the game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Getting bounties through the app is genuinely surprising, because the bounty acquisition grind seemed like an obvious design decision to inflate player engagement numbers/hours.

If that was never the case, then it's even crazier the type of stuff that Bungie focuses on instead of Quality of Life improvements like that.

Although, if remote bounty collection is only possible through the Bungie companion app (and not DIM, Braytech, etc.), maybe it's a push to move the player base towards using their app instead of 3rd party tools.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It will be interesting to see if they release Prophecy at the same power level as before. Prophecy will drop Powerfuls and a Pinnacle upon completion, but if it's still at ~1050 LL then it will be as (relatively) trivial as Pit of Heresy, which Bungie removed Powerfuls/Pinnacles from.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

That's a weird Dev Update that lists their poor decisions and some half-measures to address them, and I still don't buy their argument that they've updated the game behind-the-scenes in ways that are meaningful (their example of Legendary Engrams being changed quickly doesn't make sense, because they've already said/demonstrated that server-side changes can be done instantly and the change still took several weeks to implement).

Instead, the post seems like a reaction to unexpected in-game consequences, and the Steam player tracker has shown a pretty fast drop-off in player counts after the initial swell from the expansion's release. I wonder if Bungie has been surprised by negative player metrics, because even if a lot of those losses are from F2P players, that's probably still a big impact to potential revenue if your conversion of F2P players drops to to 0 because there's none left. I don't think Bungie normally posts something so concrete, so quickly, based solely on Reddit posts or videos from content creators.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

RBX posted:

That whole bungie post reads so nervously and scared. It's also random as gently caress.
Yeah, the tone sounds like the kind of letter a developer publishes after a poorly received launch, like Anthem, Fallout 76, or Crucible (the now-dead Amazon multiplayer shooter), which is funny considering it's in response to the Y4 Annual Expansion.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

When you scrap a fully upgraded ghost, do you get the same conversion rate of upgrade materials as scrapping Masterworked guns/armor?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

I decided to try this game for the first time. 55gigs for the base game is going to take my lovely internet a good 24 hours though. I will wait until i have given the game a good try before investing in expansions.
This is a funny use-case, because they recently removed a lot of content from the game (partly justified to make the install size smaller), but most of what they removed was the content that didn't require paid expansions. I'm not sure how much you'll need to worry about joining any Discords because you'll be so limited in what you can do.

You could maybe find a group for the Prophecy dungeon that's free and doesn't require any leveling up to reach the minimum Light Level requirement.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I just got quite a bit accomplished - I unlocked both of my Subclasses - but I'm not sure where to go to progress the main campaign. I got the ability to use the Crucible and Gambit. Do you need to try those out once for story progression?
Based on your previous posts, if you're talking about the F2P content then... I think you've progressed as far as you can get without buying anything. You can now play Crucible, Gambit, and Strikes, or run around on the planets you have access to, and that's the game.

Edit:

Grimthwacker posted:

Ah, that's wonderful. I thought there was more of an actual campaign involved.
There used to be (multiple, in fact) but they were removed from the game during the latest expansion. Not removed from the F2P experience, just deleted from existence for anybody, even players who bought the game at launch where those campaigns were a meaningful part of game.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 12, 2020

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

I just tried to launch this again for the first time since I bought it on release, and I'm still so lost. I completed the Cosmodrome campaign, then I got sent back to work on a bunch of filler-looking quests like "complete <x> multiplayer matches." I did some quest where I recover Cade's weapon before I got to see him die in a teaser mission. I looked up what I'm supposed to do next, and every guide said to start the Red War campaign, but apparently that's not in the game anymore or something? I just want to know what I'm supposed to do next. This is such a bizarre feel for a game.
When you say you bought it on release, what do you mean? If you only bought the original Destiny 2 and none of the expansions, then you essentially have the F2P version of the game which doesn't have much single-player content besides that set of introductory missions in the Cosmodrome. The single-player campaigns for the original game were removed a month ago.
Edit:

Pennsylvanian posted:

I just tried to launch this again for the first time since I bought it on release, and I'm still so lost. I completed the Cosmodrome campaign, then I got sent back to work on a bunch of filler-looking quests like "complete <x> multiplayer matches." I did some quest where I recover Cade's weapon before I got to see him die in a teaser mission. I looked up what I'm supposed to do next, and every guide said to start the Red War campaign, but apparently that's not in the game anymore or something? I just want to know what I'm supposed to do next. This is such a bizarre feel for a game.

I have Forsaken and Shadowkeep.
Ah, the Forsaken campaign is the 'first' chronologically, and you'll want to go to the Tangled Shore and look for the campaign mission as a stand-alone icon on the planet's map.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 13, 2020

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm still scratching my head about how Bungie jettisoned the main campaign. I'm not quite sure if I want to invest more money into the expansions yet and what's available to free-to-play players is very slim. I see the expansions are on sale right now; maybe I'll pick up Shadowkeep and see where it goes from there, I don't know. How often do these sales happen?
Expansion sales happen pretty often, and this is the cheapest they've ever been, but at the same time a lot of people have complained that Shadowkeep & Forsaken should have become part of the F2P experience since their associated loot is no longer relevant (aside from exotics). As far as their value, they provide several hours of single-player campaigns that are similar to what you find in the Strikes playlist, although none of it should be especially challenging given how low their Light Levels are compared to the new minimum Light Level.

Once you finish the campaigns, the game will mostly return to the same experience you have now, with the exception that The Moon, Tangled Shore, and Dreaming City will have more stuff unlocked for you to interact with (in terms of bounties, Triumphs, and sunset loot). It won't provide any change to Crucible, Gambit, or Strikes playlist (other than the ability to participate in Nightfall Strikes that are tied to the expansions).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Arctic Haze almost makes up for sunsetting Arc Logic. It's not quite as steady but it's a drat good auto-rifle. It's still stupid that they seem to have power capped every other elemental AR.
I just recognized that both guns are elemental Auto Rifles that start with 'Arc', but Arctic Haze is actually Solar damage (despite there being no available Arc Auto Rifles in the game right now, besides Hard Light I guess).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Kith posted:

I'm not real big on tiresome nerds jumping at the chance to "WELL ACTUALLY" me because I don't march in lockstep with them.
If somebody asks what weapons are good in the game, and you respond, "maybe EVERYTHING is good in this game, you should try them," just type that poo poo in a .txt document and save it to your desktop. It doesn't help anybody.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

There has definitely been no reliable promise made by Bungie about Shadowkeep or Forsaken becoming free at any time. That's not to say it won't ever happen, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon and is probably an 'emergency option' that Bungie can use if the player base drops too low or their engagement metrics stop meeting their expectations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't do Nightfalls??
I don't think any activity that doesn't have in-game matchmaking can be considered "casual/regular." The common refrain of "join a clan, get on Discord, it's not hard, just talk to people" is valid, but it still changes the nature of the game from 'casual/normal' for a lot of players.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes i know, thats my main income for prisms and its still meh.
Armor sunsetting was a pretty transparent way for Bungie to get long-time players to use up their hordes of crafting materials and encourage players to engage with current activities, but it definitely creates a high barrier to masterworking for new players who don't have a stockpile to draw from.

You might be better off using Destiny Item Manager's "Loadout Optimizer" to min/max a set of armor with the stats you want (and supports the mods you use) that doesn't require MasterWorking, so you can get most of the in-game benefits you want without having to grind for crafting materials. 4 pieces with the the proper stat distribution (along with the class item) and 6-7 Energy worth of mods should be enough to noticeably change how your character feels, even if it's annoying that you're missing out on that extra +10 to each stat or more powerful mods.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Are all collections capped in light level or just stuff from previous seasons
Every non-exotic weapon has a hard-coded Light Level cap based on the season they were released/re-released, which limits them from ever being leveled higher than that cap. You can see a specific weapon's cap by looking at it's detailed stats, or using external sites/tools to filter your inventory.

Weapons pulled from collections will always be created at 1050 Light Level, and you'll have to manually upgrade them (if their cap allows them to be raised higher than 1050).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

cru with realistic shotgun ranges BUT also the maps are now realistic sizes to accomodate all the other weapon types in the game, including sniper rifles. there will be no shotgun apes when you can dome them from a literal mile away.
Each Crucible match now takes place on an entire planet, still 6v6.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Am I hearing correctly that I need to do the mission as well as the mission with a full team of people with Hawkmoon to get the seasonal title?
Yes, but that particular Triumph is bugged right now and can't be completed.

Republicans posted:

I wonder how important it is to find all these paracausal feathers, found two sets of 3 before reaching the mid-way fight.
They're related to an exotic quest you get from Crow to unlock an exotic ship. It seems like it will take a lot to complete the quest, similar to how many runs it took to earn the Whisper of the Worm ship:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

This TWAB is crazy in terms of how unresponsive it is to the general sentiment of the Destiny 2 community. A brief summary:

-Weekly bounties are being removed from the core playlist vendors & Banshee-44, and these Bright Dust/XP sources are being replaced with 'Seasonal Challenges' which unlock 6 at a time for the first 10 weeks of the season. The challenges are similar to Triumphs, and can involve tasks from any activity in the game (GM Nightfalls, Trials, Gambit, etc.). 40% of the challenges require buying the Season Pass, and the challenges (and their potential rewards) go away at the end of the season. [The weekly 'complete 8 bounties for a Pinnacle' bounty will still exist]
-Mouse & Keyboard users (e.g. PC Users) will have their weapons' recoil dramatically increased to support Crossplay balancing. There was no announced change to recoil for Controller users.
-Some other weapon balance changes that are meaningless until their impact is felt in-game (rocket launcher damage increase, sword damage decrease, etc.)
-Crimson Days is being moved into the DCV without an announced replacement or information on it's related Triumphs/Cosmetics/Exclusive Loot/etc. (the special 2v2 PvP mode is gone with it)

I think Bungie is in a state where they wanted to drastically simplify the game to support easy end-of-life maintenance (introduce Crossplay, corral everybody into the 3 core playlists, reduce the options for each playlist, and emphasize re-issued season-limited Loot/Triumphs), but their decisions might be accelerating the game's death much faster than their ideas are improving QoL for a small population of diehard fans.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Kesper North posted:

fusion rifles need a bigger buff though imo, like maybe charge time
Bungie seems to hate modifying fusion rifle charge times (without making them do less damage). When you masterwork Charge Time on a fusion rifle, it actually decreases the weapon's damage to compensate for it. To my knowledge it's still the only Masterwork that behaves like this.

It's funny because they added an Adept Mod this season that improves Fusion Rifle charge time, so a player would have to achieve Flawless in 1 weekend to get the Adept Fusion Rifle, and then Flawless again on a separate week where the Charge Time mod was the Flawless mod reward, and when players did this they discovered it acted the same way as the Masterwork, decreasing the weapon's damage to compensate for the reduced charge time.

There's also the issue with Bungie trying to balance weapons for crossplay now, because Fusion Rifles are significantly more popular on consoles (they even reference Arbalest as being a weapon that needs looked at in this week's TWAB). Their decision to leave console recoil the same and nerf PC recoil implies they want to balance crossplay in favor of consoles, so I don't know if they'll get another buff any time soon.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

I now have four duplicate exotic armours. Two were world drops after buying them from Xur and two of them were from Xur when I'd already had the drop (and at the time there were non-dupe options) Pretty disappointing as I get very excited when I see that yellow engram.
A number of the exotic weapons and armors are tied to paid content (previous expansions or season passes), but I don't think the game explicitly tells you which ones these are. If Xur is giving you duplicates from his random engram, it means the pieces you're missing are locked behind content you haven't bought or a quest you haven't completed (I'm not sure how this works for exotics who had their quests deleted but are available from the kiosk).

That said, a lot of players have anecdotal experience that the game seems to 'get stuck' and drop the same exotic multiple times in a row, or at a drastically higher rate than RNG should allow.

Edit: There are also exotics tied to Heroic Lost Sectors now, which seems to be a mechanic that Bungie will stick with for next season as well.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 29, 2021

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

Chambered, Alloy, Snapshot and Heavy Grip and Chambered, Alloy, Rangefinder and Combat Grip are the two rolls I've had so far on Hawkmoon.

Harbinger was ok, I made good use of Hard Light for the first time in a while and my friend and I only died to mobs a few times (dam jumping however, Christ Almighty I fly about as well as a potato).

I'm assuming it's 100 feathers for the ship?
Affirmative (https://www.light.gg/db/items/991660705/lightbringer/)

Sites like light.gg or braytech.org are great for multi-step quests or ones that don't clearly outline the rate of progression. It can be really frustrating to grind through 1 step of a quest that you didn't like, only for it to just progress to another step that you know you will never complete for whatever reason.

Speaking of quests, the new Seasonal Challenge system is another idea that will depend heavily on Bungie's implementation. The best case scenario is a system that has the same objectives as the current Weeklies but without the need to visit the Tower/App to collect them or worry about expiration dates besides the end of the Season. But boy, the worst-case scenario could be pretty bad, especially with 40% of them being related to the Seasonal Activity (possibly only the Paid Season Pass activities) and the varying quality of those over the past year. There's also the issue where highly specific challenges can result in a week where everybody in the Strike/Gambit playlist is trying to get the final blow on the boss with their Super, so nobody has any incentive to bring them down to low health (similar to some of the Stasis unlock quests from this season).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

You can only complete each challenge once per account, but I'm not sure it's been made clear that you will share progress across separate characters (this seems like an obvious detail, but...).

It'll be interesting to see what the Bounty Optimization people can come up with for completing the challenges as quickly as possible assuming you save up all 10 weeks, but it also wouldn't surprise me if somehow Bungie made all the challenges mutually exclusive from each other (e.g. challenges tied to getting kills with 1 specific seasonal weapon instead of more generic 'Void Damage', 'Special Ammo', 'Precision Kills', that could be stacked).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ornaments for the season's armor set:

Give your guardians some balls, or make them look like a motion capture suit.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

As a fan of the Eldar aesthetic
That's what it reminded me of, I couldn't remember why it looked vaguely familiar. I think they look pretty dumb, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum as favoring Tyranids.

The new Seasonal Activity sounds a lot like Forges without ball throwing.

Edit: The Season Pass website says they're bringing back Guardian Games, which is a bit surprising given the community's reception to it last year. If they deleted Crimson Days because it didn't add enough value to the game, I don't know how they can justify bring Guardian Games back.

Season Pass owners also get 1 week of early access to the Proving Grounds Strike, which seems like a weird thing to tie to the Season Pass.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2021

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

By offering more Strikes and a 3-person matchmade activity, this season has the possibility to really exaggerate the issue with bounties, quests, & triumphs not tracking progress as a fireteam. Strikes already feel like a competition against the people you're matched with, but tying seasonal progress & 40% of the new weekly challenges to the same system might be rough. On PC I think you can still play that content solo by blocking the correct ports since the connections are P2P, which allows for easier farming of PvE matchmade activities, but obviously that's not something most people will do.

SUNKOS posted:

I like that they're adding permanent content with this season, so even when it's gone we'll still have the strikes. It's a step in the right direction, imo.
It's hard to say because we don't know if they spent 'Seasonal Content Resources' to create the Strikes, or if they used 'Beyond Light Resources' to develop them. If it's the former, I agree, it's way more efficient to use the Seasons to permanently grow the game and improve the core playlists. But if it's the latter, and the Strikes are coming out now because Bungie fell behind schedule (or decided to hold back Beyond Light content to fatten up each season), then it's not anything praiseworthy (especially in light of DCV/sunsetting).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I think the "kill enemy type" ones were always fireteam wide, it's the "elemental kills" ones that you had to compete for.
Did they change how it works with the expansion? I think this was true for 'Kill X type of boss in Strikes 0/1' but not for the more general 'Kill X type of enemies in Strikes 0/50'.

I didn't buy Beyond Light, but my understanding is the Stasis quest line walked back the first example and required getting the killing blow on a boss/champion.

Edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Roman posted:

same but I'm a long time player who made charged with light builds that need orbs, while two randoms run ahead of me instakilling everything with non masterworked guns
At least you don't have a Warmind Cells build, next season is the last one before their guns get sunset (rendering their build useless unless they use Sunshot or a handful of other exotics that can still generate cells).

RocketRaygun posted:

I think bungie is clearly attempting to bring GMs from the fringe and into the forefront. Stacking the title, adept weapons, yadda yadda.
Adept weapons seem like a huge whiff with how they're implemented in Trials. You have a single (static) weapon and mod available each week, and only a god roll + the adept mod is better than a god roll of the regular version of the gun with normal mods (so you have to frantically grind Trials/GM Nightfalls during the 1 week that weapon is available, with 1 roll for every successful Flawless Card/Strike). So in the same way that it's still better to farm Crucible tokens to get more roll chances for Trials weapons, it'll be much better for most players to pursue whatever the other methods are for getting a well-rolled version of the non-adept guns (e.g. if the new Umbral Engrams have the normal versions of the Adept weapons as a focus option, I don't think anybody will care about GM's). I think Bungie is way too scared to put weapons exclusively behind GM Nightfalls (e.g. Adept weapons with no 'normal' version available elsewhere), but I think they'd have to do this in order to motivate people.

I think there's also a difference in motivation between Trials players and GM Nightfall players. Theoretically, people regularly going flawless in Trials are hardcore PvPers who are expecting to face off against other hardcore PvPers (at least when SBMM was a thing), so they want to obtain every loot/gear advantage they can (this is less important when none of the Trials weapons are big in the PvP meta like now, but that's another issue). For PvE players, I don't know how much more powerful you need to be since it's not like Strike/Raid/Activity bosses have the potential to become more powerful the way other guardians can. In Crucible, the +3 to all stats in an Adept weapon might make the difference if you're going 1v1 against another player of equal skill and equal gear (except they don't have the Adept version), but when you're doing a Strike you're still killing the same stuff you could already easily kill (since people farming GM Nightfalls have already reached Peak PvE difficulty).

Basically, Crucible is a constant arms race that incentivizes even small improvements, but once you know you can beat a Strike or Nightfall or Raid you don't have to worry about that changing (outside of Light Level increases or seasonal mods being switched out).

Edit: This is funny:

The original Season 13 page showed the seasonal activity as being available to players without buying the season pass, but apparently that was incorrect (sounds like you can play the activity once without buying the pass like Sundial did). Not a huge deal, but it's and unforced error and confirms that at least 40% of the newly introduced Season Challenges (e.g. Weekly Bounty Replacements) require the Season Pass, which will probably further alienate any F2P players.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 3, 2021