Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

The eternal struggle of Destiny: It's constantly dragged down by innumerable problems, many of which should have been fixed years ago, but it scratches a particular itch and every other game that attempts to do so crashes and burns so Destiny can just keep on truckin'.
This is pretty much how I finally gave up on the game, after playing both games from day one. Thereīs so much fun and interesting stuff that could have been added to the game but itīs mainly stuck in the same kind of gameplay rut since Destiny, which is fine for some people but I pretty much got pretty fed up with it. I canīt for the life of me understand how Datto plays this game almost every day for so many years without throwing himself head first out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, if Iīve been away for a while since it seemed that Bungie was going to do gently caress all regarding the plot, Iīve actually been somewhat interested in this seasons story. Is it possible to replay the plotmissions for the earlier seasons, if I want to get up to speed or are they gone by the end of every season?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kith posted:

yeah toland is horny as gently caress for sword logic and it infuriates him that the guardian basically outdid his life's work and then refused to reap the rewards

so he's just this figurative and literal ball of impotent rage floating around in the afterlife, watching this idiot gently caress up everything he literally gave his life to try to achieve
Excellent, the little poo poo can keep whining at me while being stuck in limbo.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Goin' in for the krill
The fact that the Hive are basically a race of overgrown shrimps that bought into a pyramid scheme that is headed by worms that eat life energy will never stop being wild to me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Waroduce posted:

all I know of destiny is tribal knowledge passed down to me from someone who knows in a voice chat.

this game is so loving obtuse its ridic. nothing is explained in game
Iīd say that Warframe takes the number one spot when it comes to obtuse gameplay mechanics and boy, there are many of them.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, is it even possible to halt yourself as a Warlock when an enemy launches you with their stomp/shieldblast or whatever? Hunters seems to be able to stop themselves from getting launched over cliffs and even Titans to a lesser degree while I get to fly like a drat tether ball with no way to stop the momentum.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I would love to do this if Bungie didn’t put some of the best rewards in the game behind treating Destiny 2 PVP like it’s a serious esport.
I have to admit that when Iīm trying to unlock an Exotic piece of gear I sigh very loudly when I hit the usual bullshit part of the quest where I have to play PvP. gently caress you Bungie, being forced into getting 50 headshots in the Crucible isnīt what I call fun, especially when my progress bar goes down every time I die.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I'd like to replace Ghost with Edgy Darkness Ghost simply so Main_Character talks more. One of those wierd flying fish will do just fine.
Yeah, the whole thing with having the Ghost as the main characters "voice" is really getting old by this point.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I think the only time Iīve ever appreciated your Ghost is the mission where he spends almost the entire time impersonating (and taking the piss) the Drifter. I really wish that Bungie would at least do more stuff like that with him instead of being the constant, handwringing wet blanket that he comes off as.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I canīt believe that Bungie didnīt have Saint using the Ward of Dawn to save the Eliksni refugees, I mean come on! This poo poo basically writes itself with the groundwork youīve done before in the season.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 16, 2021

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, could someone correct me if Iīm wrong. Mara Sov essentially got her rear end ganked in the intro of the Taken King. Since she is such an awesome badass, unsurpassed strategist and all around writers pet, she totally foresaw this and managed to hold her soul in limbo, waiting for our Guardian and his/her merry band of murderers to kill Oryx while counting on us not taking his Throne World for ourselves. Mara did her best sneaky impression and slurped up his Throne World and redecorated it in her fancy (yellow and purple ftw) and then started to migrate the Awoken nation to her new place. She also had a totally sweet wish fulfilling Dragon. Dragon goes and gets corrupted for reasons that I canīt remember and then the Forsaken campaign and raid happens. So Mara is stuck in her little cubbyhole, while her brother has gone over to the cool side and now nobody knows where she is.

Am I somewhat correct in my interpretation of the events thus far?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

Er, kinda no.

So, the Dreadnaut's weapon was Oryx's throne world. When Oryx used it, he cast his throne world, which is normally bound to the inside of the Dreadnaut out into real space. Since Oryx is a very destructive person, this was an extremely violent action that destroyed everything it touched.

Mara knew this. Mara also knew that Oryx was "The Great Navigator". Oryx wasn't the best killer in the universe, he was the best explorer. Oryx had taken items of power far greater than anything else found in the Sol system, and he stored them inside of his throne world. Mara knew this as well. Her goal was to steal Oryx's stuff.

An important bit to know about Hive magic is that when they kill you, they do not kill you in the sense we understand. Hive's magic, Sword Logic, states that if you slice someone with the edge of a sword, you gain power over their shape. In physical terms, this means you kill or maim them, but in magical destiny terms, it also means you can manipulate what they are as beings. The Hive's magic is all about redefining what "Slicing" means, what a "Sword" is, where the "Edge" is, etc. In Oryx's case, the violent eruption of realspace colliding with his throne world was the sword. The edge of the sword was that edge of that collision. Slicing was the violent death of everything caught in the eruption. Thus, Oryx gained mastery over all of their forms.

Now, what do Hive do with the forms of those they kill? Mostly they eat them. Hive magic is powered by the worms, and the worms demand the light sucked out of the life of those killed by the Hive. But Oryx is the top of a massive gothic alien death cult MLM scheme, so he doesn't need to eat everything he kills. He captures notable beings or objects to store in his vault. Mara is a notable being that he killed... So he transformed her into a trophy and stashed her in his vault. Mara knew he was going to do this.

Anyway, Taken King happens and we shoot Oryx real good. Most importantly, we walk away from Oryx's throne and completely destroy the sword logic. We didn't take Oryx's place and we did not demand his shape. The logic was broken, Oryx is dead and his vault was left unguarded. Anyway could just break in and steal things. But, if one of those Trophies manages to regain their original form... they are already in the vault and have their pickings before the rest of the vultures (ie: Savathun) come. Guess who planned for this? Mara.

Anyway, she reconstituted herself and made off like a bandit with all of Oryx's stuff. There are a few things in lore mentioned that Oryx had (the Tablets of Ruin being the biggest), and it's not mentioned what Mara stole. But, Savathun doesn't seem to be able to create new Taken so it's completely unknown where the Tablets of Ruin went. My theory is that Mara has them, and isn't using them.

So, After that, Mara ran off and formed a new throne world (we go there to meet her during full curse weeks), as her old one got Taken by Oryx (the Shattered Throne Dungeon).

Also, the dragon got corrupted because Sedia or Kalli tried to run away rather than die. The Techuns (or Tech Witches, as you guardians call them) can teleport, and one of them on Mara's ship tried to teleport away when they got blowed up by Oryx. The portal she created let Oryx's dreanaut blast into the Dreaming City, which took the techuns, riven, and shattered Mara's throne and set the stage for the curse. This is why the awoken sealed the city and said it wasn't safe.
I still prefer my explanation :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i think it'd be great if they could somehow bring the PvE content you mention, but I don't think they could ever sort of merge it into a single story because it never made sense as a single story in the first place
Yeah, this is why I'm not that nostalgic about Destiny 1 content since the original plot was a godawful mess that tried to be mystical and giving a sense of adventure but in reality only managed to be confusing and feeling haphazardly glued together. Hell, Iīm still sore about the fact that I canīt give the Stranger more poo poo about the last time you met her.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 21, 2021

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I canīt wait for the conclusion of this season to blow up in Mara Sovīs face but that might be too much to hope for, considering what a writers pet she seems to be for Bungieīs lore team.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

obviously mara's plan will work perfectly, which is why the next expansion is entitled "Destiny 2: Mara Sov's Beach Vacation" and not, say, something indicating that maybe mara's plan doesn't work out
I wouldnīt be too surprised if Bungie have Mara pull a "I totally planned for this since Iīm a 5D chessmaster" and still gets whatever she wants, while leaving the Vanguard and Last City with the bill.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's always going to be the problem with writing a character who's supposed to be a genius or godlike intelligence. Generally the person writing them is not, so they write an idea that seems brilliant to them, and then when the public comes into contact with it everyone immediately sees the flaw.

I suspect that if Mara outsmarts Savathûn or vice versa, it'll be that kind of thing; there'll immediately be threads on reddit asking why she didn't immediately [obscure lore interaction from a sidequest back in D1].
Yeah, I just want to see her fall flat on her face for once but I doubt that Bungie wants to do that to their golden girl.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Are there any specific guns that you should focus on keeping with the Nines?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

ah, this is how savathun is defeated, all her hive guardians start their own crucible, afk farming and bitching about balance
Iīd genuinely love this! Savathuns plans comes to a screeching halt when she discovers that her Hive Guardians did not only get the Light and Immortality transplanted but also the looting instincts of a magpie. The expansion raid will be your team of Guardians versus your Hive counterparts, running through Savathuns palace while having a contest over who can ransack the most loot. Savathun will occasionally pipe in on your radio channel to voice her displeasure.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Actually that sounds exactly what I want from destiny 2 spaceship battles :colbert:

Honestly though like a spaceship side game would seriously change things up. But I wonder if it could even be good or worth it? But it's clear at this point our vehicles are woefully underutilized.
A bit late but Iīd love this since Iīve been hoping for Bungie that they would recreate the spacecombat sequence from Reach into a proper gameplay element since year one in Destiny.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

victrix posted:

warlock is the best class by a mile

unfortunately they don't have a jump, they have a fall
Yeah, every time that the game wants me to do precision jumping I curse myself for not going with a Hunter, or even Titan, back in Destiny 1.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

I just use whatever in PvP because I really don't give a poo poo enough about PvP.

I do mostly fine.
Pretty much how I view PvP as well but for some reason Bungo always feels that my PvE exotic guns or catalysts should have a PvP bounty assigned to them for reasons?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Iīve been a Warlock main since release day of Destiny 1 but if there was an exotic armour pice that exchanged the Warlock jumping mechanic with either the Titan or the Hunter jump Iīd never take that bad boy off.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Whelp, it seems that we finally got to drop the idiot ball with Crow finally getting his backstory zapped into his brain. I honestly thought that Bungie would milk that particular part of the plot for even more melodrama but I guess I was pleasantly surprised.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Put failsafe in a ghost shell and have her replace Ghost.
This, or at least us give us a Sagira pack, so we can have a sassy Ghost who is far superior to the nervous thing we are stuck with now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
This might be a silly question but when NPCīs reference stuff that my main Warlock did, does this also affect my other two character? I.E will my Hunter who Iīve barely played be regarded as the Hero of the Red War or will Saint 14 remember that I saved him, despite doing that on another character?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Paracausal posted:

its amazing every other month or so I'll give pvp a go and last about 3 minutes, its just clearly the worst pvp generally available, its so loving bad, loving put some resources into it for once bungie
I'd rather see that Bungie forgets about pvp so I'll never have to do another exotic quest that forces me to grind points in PvP for a PvE focused gun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I havenīt played Destiny 2 for a while but was there a patch that upgraded the visuals or something that increased the system requirements? Because the game runs pretty badly for me now compared to a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yea there's a press screenshot of a guy that looks just like him but infused with light. Guess he's back with his own ghost now.
What I'm interested in is if these lucent hive retain their memories? Seems like they do. I wonder if being able to recall past lives will ever become a plot point of any significance in destiny, it's something I always felt was weirdly overlooked in the story.
Yeah, I always thought that this could have been a cool piece of single player content if you were to be able to try to piece together some kind of history for your character instead of being your ghosts marionette.