Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
behold, my old lore post, maybe I'll do one for the chilly fallen and pyramids. I'd also like to find my explanation of vault of glass from the very first d1 thread for when that ocmes back

Mazerunner posted:

thing is there's not really an easy "here's the deal" type info dump. it's all different stories kind of dark souls style

there's this youtube guy Byf who did like a 4 hour video dealing with everything but eff that

oh yeah, there's ishtar collective. They collate like all the lore availabe from D1 and D2. You can search by topic and whatnot, it's good if you want to delve into a particular subject.

quick recap:

This big white space cueball called the Traveler with magic powers came to the solar system. It went around terraforming the planets and moons and asteroids and stuff. Humanity studied that power (the Light) and entered an advanced golden age.

One of the things they did was start making Exos, the robot people, which are actually humans in cryostorage with their minds flash-saved to robot bodies. The number after their name is how many times the robot body died and they got re-flashed. They lose memory and get a new personality? So Ada-1, the black armoury lady has never been reset. Banshee has been reset 44 times and has robo alzheimers.

The Vex also started appearing. They are time traveling robots who do weird time travel robot stuff. They turned Mercury into a massive machine that can simulate anything, but mostly it simulates hallways, and started doing that to venus, mars, the moon Io and the centaur Nessus. Most of this might have been later on though, after the collapse.

Humans also made an AI warmind called Rasputin.

Then the Darkness came (which are I guess big black space triangles) and hosed poo poo up and humanity collapsed. Rasputin realized it couldn't win and went to sleep until better conditions arose (ie. the player character appeared in D1). The Traveler usually runs from the Darkness but this time didn't. If you hear rumours that Rasputin forced that decision by force, don't listen, that's slanderous lies spread by a certain dick. The Traveler got damaged during the fight with the Darkness and definitely not any russian AIs, and went to sleep also, but made the Ghosts to open doors to find mighty warriors to ressurect and give space magic to. When people first started getting resurrected, they were called the Risen. Many were dicks, and became warlords and mercenaries and what not. Drifter is from around this time. Then a group banded together under the Iron Banner, and killed the warlords and were chill. People started building a city underneath the Traveler, and Risen who went there started protecting it, and became known as Guardians. Now new risen just kind of end up guardians by default since it's the largest collection of 'em.

Also when the darkness showed up, the Traveler let out a pulse of light, which met the dark and made a singularity, which sucked up a colony ship. Those colonists turned blue. These are the Awoken, space elves who lived in a magic time singularity for eons, then some of them, led by their Queen Mara Sov and her brother Uldren who is a dick, came back. They did a thing and some of the Fallen allied with them, and they built a space prison and filled it with bodies and gold. As you do. They also built a recreation of part of their previous singularity-home, and put a magic wish-dragon in there, as you do.

Some other races showed up too:

The Fallen (or Eliksni) were actually the previous race the Traveler visited, but when the Darkness showed up in their version of the collapse (the whirlwind) it ran. The Fallen are scavengers and remnants of a once great civilization. They want the Traveler back, but since we keep kicking their asses, some of them at least are willing to be try being peaceful. They survive off of 'ether', the white gas that goes when you headshot them. Only the servitor machines can make ether. They used to be separated into different Houses, but after the rear end kicking of D1 they banded together in desperation. They also used to do a thing called docking, where the penis goes in the other penis lower castes have one set of arms removed, but they can grow it back if worthy. They stopped doing that in D2.

The Hive worship the Darkness and are probably the closest to straight up evil. There's a whole thing about their history called the books of sorrow, look that up. It's good and weird! We killed one of their main leaders, Oryx, his two sons and two daughters, his best bro, his dog and now his grand daughter. Now one of his sisters is coming after us too. They also worship the Worm Gods, which are attuned to the Darkness. We maybe killed one and but it turned itself into a gun for us to use, so, you know. They have infested the Moon.

In the past, before D1, an army of guardians went to the moon to fight the Hive, but got hosed up by Crota real bad. So bad they just called it 'the Great Disaster' and banned going to the Moon for a while. A fireteam (6) guardians went to the moon anyway looking for revenge, but they got hosed up too. The only survivor was Eris Morn, who lost her ghost and her eyes. She replaced her eyes with hive eyes, I guess, and was lost in the moon tunnels for years then came back, and then left again, and then came back again. She's very goth. The other 'survivor' was Toland, who was a real Hive lore nerd. He died so hard that he just kept right on going, and is now in an alternate dimension watching us shoot and loot. He thinks we're idiots and he's not wrong, but really, he's just a white ball and we have cool guns, so, who's the real winner here?

Oryx was so powerful he killed a Worm for real probably, and took it's power to Take. This means he could suck poo poo into the Dark dimension and then return it as a spooky palette swapped zombie with ANNOYING POWERS STOP MULTIPLYING STOP SHIELDING STOP BOOPING STOP TELEPORTING STOP BLINDING JESUS ahem. Sorry. After Oryx's death(?) in D1, the Taken were maybe leaderless, but now maybe not so much?

The Cabal are definitely-not-space-marines. They had an Emperor Calus, who valued art and poo poo, but the military (led by Ghaul) deposed of him and exiled him on the giant planet eating leviathan battleship. Which, odd choice of space jail but ok. They set it to go to the edge of the universe. Calus looked into the abyss and became a real nihilist. Now he parties hard everyday, slathers enough gold on everything to make Trump look restrained, wants to be the last living thing in the universe, and wants to collect cool bros to chill with him till the end. Also, get revenge on Ghaul. He thinks guardians are the best and commissions fanfic about them.

Ghaul leads the Red Legion. He's a dick. But he's got an inferiority complex maybe? He wants the Light.

The Vex also found this... place. The Black Garden, which maybe isn't so much a place or a time as... an idea. They found a connection to the Darkness there, and worship it. This was the final (underwhelming) boss of vanilla D1. Now they are up to something again, in the new raid and season events.

You might see the Scorn as well. The Scorn are Fallen that got turned into hellraiser bondage zombies due to shenanigans. They killed Cayde-6, who was voiced by Nathan Fillion, so mostly everyone loved him except some who did not. They were led by Uldren the Dick, and you loving them up in return is the plot of the Forsaken dlc. There's more to it but,

Anyway there's many more characters and factions and stuff but that's the main thrust of things. Probably the other plotline to follow is Rose/Thorn/Last Word. It's some good western type stuff, you know, the man with the big gun takes on the black hat. But there's some developments in D2 that are like, huh, especially in regards to gambit and the drifter. If you got a question about something specific ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i know the campaigns aren't worth much, but is the Shadowkeep campaign at least hanging around ?

yes, forsaken too. it's just year 1 (redwar, curse, warmind) that's going. and I guess if you count the mini-missions from black armory like unlocking the forges and what not.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

anyone else seeing these sort of blue light beacons in the tower?

also, anyone know where the perdition area on europa is?

e; oh drat, make a beeline for the exotic quest you get from drifter after the campaign it's the stasis gl, but that's not important, what's important is during a mission, ghost starts imitating the drifter

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 11, 2020

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, they're the goals for the easter egg that gives the Quickness buff. They're usually pillars of white light but there's some kind of bug that's giving an afterglow.

ok, weird. I knew about those since year 1, but I haven't seen them in the last two years at all. Now I see them on two different tower visits.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Also, once you get an aspect, you can get weekly quests for fragments, with a choice between vanguard, gambit and crucible.

The Vanguard ones feel like they're gonna be grindy. Have to be done in strikes, and one of my reqs needs champions. (90 Super Final Blows, 80 Shatter Final Blows, 35 Stasis Melee Kills) and (100 Solar Final, 10 Champions Defeated with Stasis, 50 Slowed Combatants Defeated)

pick carefully, because if you change your mind and abandon, you can't get a new one

:shepicide:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Just do regular public events, lost sectors and such. Even every blue is a power upgrade.

yeah i hit 1200 on main by doing campaign, a few public events as I found them, the post-campaign missions and some general exploring and loving around especially the golden chests

It sounds like a lot but like, it's stuff you're doing anyway? and then when I was all done I moved on to gambit/strikes/crucible for the powerfuls

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LeafyOrb posted:

So Europa Enforcer 3 isn’t counting power weapon kills for me for some reason (the purple variks mission).

needs to be precision kills

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the raid has a void machine gun. which I mean, doesn't help now but

e; if you have an ikelos hc from last season that can go higher than 1060 but yeah if you don't you can't get one so

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 12, 2020

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nightfall ordeal has been changed to fauxmnigull since sometimes the spider tank wouldn't spawn before the last section.

this is great cause gently caress exodus trash

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

they were fairly fast about the nightfall fix, so that's a plus?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

holy poo poo the titan ice melee sucks rear end

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Deeturbomber posted:

My friend was complaining about that. Range is weird, very slow dash, etc.

Titan's the only class I haven't screwed with yet. Not exactly looking forward to it, the way people are talking.

it's just worse shoulder charge,

zero/bad tracking, terrible hit detection, doesn't even one shot kill/bad damage, only hits one target unless you get very lucky.

BUT ALSO with ranged melee's weaknesses,

uses its cooldown whenever you use it even if you miss or use it for mobility, gets overridden by regular melee at close range

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Snuffman posted:

I like reading Ishtar Collective, so um...I've got some bad news about Clovis. I thought the reveal was pretty lame and just made the universe feel even smaller than it did before.

I won't spoil it here, just go read it for yourself.

just spoil it here because how the hell are we gonna track down whatever it is among all the different items/lore books/whatever

yeah it's lame. do the ordeal x3 with stasis equipped, then do playlist x3 with stasis to get the kills but swap subclass at the end.

unless you saying that having stasis equipped counts for the playlists? in which case, neat!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Back in the Thunderlord quest, we went to the Cosmodrome and it was snowy and in a part that doesn't look like the area that's back in now - what's the deal with that? Custom area for that quest? Or is it part of the Plaguelands or whatever part of cosmodrome that isn't in yet?

it's the area labeled 'gateway' on the map. It's also where new characters start. You travel through the big wall to get to the 'divide'.

In D1 it was originally not snowy. Then with the Rise of Iron xpac they added the plaguelands patrol zone- this included the starting area, the divide and some other zones. They were updated to be snowy and have some geometry changes. But the original patrol zone was still available- so there were two versions of the Divide.

However in D2, they used the original non-snowy version for the patrol, and the snowy version for thunderlord quest. Why? Who knows.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

They play at like 1 FPS on my old computer, which causes the game to kick me out of the mission. Old cutscenes like the Shadowkeep intro play just fine, so whatever they're doing for the new ones broke everything.

have you tried skipping it (mash escape button) and watching on youtube if you care to

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

i've heard the spider-tank glitch is linked to a fireteam member moving into that area before all the arc beacons are collected in the previous but I dunno

I will say they changed the boss fight again I think. boss comes back instantly, it's way faster now.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Some more bugs:

-trench barrel lasts effectively infinitely
-sparrows except for always on time from scourge are locked at 150 speed

some other stuff:

I got a random rear end shotgun after a strike? it's from this season, xenoclast iv. rolled with trench barrel which is nice with that previous mentioned bug

got all three new helmets :smug: hunter's is obviously the best- it has the additional perk, besides the shift-dodge- where it boosts arc weapon damage for 10 seconds. However it also disables the cooldown for those 10 seconds, so a trade off.

titan's has the best lore and look though- it's a helmet repaired by kintsugi, the japanese art of using gold lacquer to repair and mark broken pottery

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

? I’ve been using my seventh seraph shotgun with trench barrel and it runs out after a few seconds like normal. Does it linger after the buff leaves the screen or something?

shrug if i know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5s-cX7pXQE

infinite's a bit of misnomer really. it currently gives x2 buff, so firing three shots removes one buff (to no effect) but then the second buff only vanishes on time out. this allows you to fire off a full mag with the buff

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 16, 2020

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Oh right, well it might be slightly harder to get people to do them then otherwise since they don't have powerfuls. (And I don't really hear much about the guns?) But I imagine there's probably people down to do them in overchill since there were people do to leviathan long after it was "relevant."

there's some good stuff in the old raid guns.

the garden pulse is great. its hand cannon also has some excellent perk combos- it was hamstrung by being a 140 rpm in a 150 rpm world, but that's no longer the case so it should start getting some more attention. shotgun's got some good stuff going on too.

for lw, the handcannon's in a similar boat. sniper can get some good stuff (also one of the few kinetic snipers remaining). the bow is maybe the only non-sunset solar bow now I think?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

iirc avalanche was bugged or just wrong or something to have like, crazy recoil and spread and was very bad. eventually it got fixed and was good. now it's sunset and is bad.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The hunt stuff has started already, not that the servers seem to be able to handle it

yeah i keep getting contacting servers -> giant glory rank up banner -> contacting -> banner repeat, very annoying

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Phoix posted:

I haven't played in ages so when my quests sent me into Gambit and the game ended after a single round I actually said out loud "holy poo poo it's playable now".

new gambit sucks

it's all the worst annoying parts of prime, that make completing bounties more annoying, the boss just vanishes and they removed the two maps that had actual interesting features

and it's not even all that much faster than the old regular gambit

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Coldforge posted:

The boss melting instantly is a bug related to stasis freezing, isn't it? Not a gambit thing, just a bug people are abusing.

no even without the boss just vanishing instantly, it still goes down very very quickly

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RBX posted:

How is any of that bad.

You guys support sunsetting bit somehow a whole new game with a not lovely engine full of bugs and new armor and weapons and enemies is worse than the same mess with the same reskinned enemies and useless loot?

because why do you think any of that would happen

like why do you think it'd be new enemies. why do you think there'd be no bugs.

and a big part of the vaulting is so they can start updating things to their new engine, which apparently has already started paying off

or like, bungie's already struggling making content, how are they gonna do a full game's worth?

ps. sunsetting sucks and is dumb

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol do nightfalls not guarantee a powerful upgrade anymore? My reward was a single blue piece of armor at the end.

there's the powerful for doing 5 (higher difficulties count for more) and a pinnacle for getting 100k

I don't think they ever were just get a powerful every time

e; vanguard weekly is to do 3 strikes with the subclass matching the elemental modifier.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the two new scouts- royal chase the seasonal one, and the raid one.

my royal chase rolled with full auto and and multi-kill clip, and seems pretty ok! though I haven't used it in tougher content. It's also got this wonderful meaty firing sound.

my raid one rolled with opening shot and the new perk reconstruction- it slowly refills ammo, up to double (or was it 1.5?) the original capacity. It's also a rapid fire frame and feels nice to shoot.

So basically I guess I like scouts that are secretly autos

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Did you and your pubbies not have any champion mods? Also the Hydra during the boss fight is a bullet sponge for some reason. Its usually not dead until near the end of the fight.

cause the mini is a boss, also. both of them are. it even has damage phases where it peaces out, and I'm like, 99% confident that you have to kill them both. If you kill the big one first it doesn't end until the little is dead too.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the new heavy grenade launcher perk that gives them explosions on kills is neat

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm 1210 at the moment, getting up to actual-1230, let alone 1240 before Tuesday is probably not something I can do? I'm doing all the weeklies and bounties and everything but I don't think I can get up that high that quick.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Contest mode was 1230 raid, light capped at 1210, right? So "in theory" 1210 is the bare minimum to do the content?

I was hoping to play blind with my usual group but since that's not happening and I'm already a sandbag when I know what I'm doing I suppose a guide is in order.

the final encounter of the raid was 1250

contest capped you at 1230, or 20 below. i think 1210 would technically let you in, but you'd be exceptionally useless

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Codeacious posted:

Good Lord, Lament is insane. Did they feel bad that they nerfed Falling Guillotine or something? At least it takes the exotic slot but I don't ever see myself running another heavy weapon in 1280 content, unless the boss really calls for it.

they probably nerfed it because of lament- basically a) why use your exotic slot on a weapon that does the same/only a bit more than a legendary? and b) FG was just a no-brainer compared to every other legendary sword. no decision. but also with it (initially) being phased out from the loot pool it'd really screw over new/returning players.

so yeah now there's a weapon that justifies its exoticness that everyone can get and more variety for legendary swords

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Icewall nade will apply the overload status but you have to actually catch the champ directly in the wall generation, which also freezes it so it's kind of a moot point.

if you blow up the walls it'll stun them if it catches them in explosion. good if you don't quite hit them, or for cover as you approach then kool aid main through with a sword or as a titan

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

are there two different 'defeat champs with stasis' objectives? I had one this week where I didn't need to get the final blow with stasis, they just had to be affected by it when they died. So like I'd hit em with a grenade and then lament and it worked just fine.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

wow, just had a terrible gambit bug- a blocker went intangible so we couldn't bank, but couldn't kill it. it also counted for two blockers for the drain. I mean I was just working on bounties so whatever but still. and yeah easiest solution is just don't play gambit lol

there was another bug earlier where a random scorn big guy was allied with us, that one was neat though.

ps ice warlock + vesper of radiance + 2xdynamo + 2xdistribution + defeat frozen targets for class ability energy + freeze for bonus weapon damage + defeat frozen targets with guns for super energy = you get half your super for one good rift

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just I knew if the new hunter arms are bugged. It says repeated precision hits give your stasis melee unstoppable but I've never had it work or trigger.

its for weighted knife, which is the precision gunslinger tree, not stasis

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

bounty pickups on the app

:bisonyes:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

RNGesus has heard my cries

:unsmith:

loving incredible how bitching about not getting some loot is almost guaranteed to get it soon

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

apparently it's cuz it can do somesort of instant kill in pvp (and not even in combination with the freezing rift), not because it's fun and good in pve.

so hopefully it won't get nerfed.... i hope

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

iron banner is a conceptually bad and broken idea to the core just delete it

let saladman retire somewhere warm with his dogs and crackwhores

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the shivering stressed out looking ladies he's got manning his gun tables when he comes by the tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mill Village posted:

I swear I've been frozen by one hunter melee. I know Titan's Stasis melee usually kills you, but both classes still have grenades that freeze you way longer than the 1.35 seconds Warlocks get now.

hunters can freeze either with two ice picks or one ice pick + slow field on dodge

all three classes have the same grenades, that work the same and freeze the same