Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Splicer posted:

Nanomachines don't and probably will never work like they're expressed in pop culture, because we see them as machines, but tiny, and that's not how things work when you get that small. "SkyNet basically poo poo out a titanium elemental" is more terrifying because jesus christ what the living gently caress

e: to expand FilthyImp's analogy, "liquid metal" is me saying "we made glass that detects the presence of living flesh" and "nanomachines" is you nodding and saying "so you're saying the buttons on the phone are really small?"

Yeah it's way more interesting especially since it's obviously an experimental unit (starts getting hosed up later on due to having to reform over and over) that they threw out there in a last ditch effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, OK, maybe he’s working for Blair and somehow toking up is part of Blair’s plan to build the hovercraft. How the gently caress does he actually help Blair build the hovercraft? If the aliens are characters, then they must have [i]characterization.[i] “They’re just inscrutable” don’t cut it.

this is getting really loving tedious

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Splicer posted:

"SkyNet basically poo poo out a titanium elemental" is more terrifying because jesus christ what the living gently caress
Yeah, there's something a lot more mysterious about it. Like if Apple produced a slab of glass that was a fully functional smartphone and all the specs were just "It's a haptic silicon-processor"
There's just a scale of technology there that's as far-flung and crazy as "time teleporter"

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

If people stop replying they just go away.

Basically the end of NoES, but in forumsworld.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

If anything I’ve written is untrue or inaccurate, it should be extremely easy for you to demonstrate it.
you mean like how you state blair controls and uses the thing or when youve actually described characters thoughts. yeah done that. you ignore the actual arguments levied at you because youre smg

Instead, you keep insisting that the film is incomprehensible.
your shtick doesnt work when you get mad because now youre just back to lying to troll and be a dick. again. maybe take a break until your mental state is back up to 100% as high as yours goes

That's apt because I do not actually exist, and what we're seeing is a sudden explosion of a 'CD' mindset that was already latent.
im guessing youve finally gotten kicked out of there by now

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Well, all you need to do is explain which of the characters' actions are evidence for your theory.

For example, the "Things" short story tries to reconcile the actual events of the film with the 'evil hivemind' theory by concluding that Blair must have been using Palmer to secretly transport tons of food over to the shed while nobody was looking. "I volunteered to feed the prisoner and came to myself when the world wasn't watching. ... I went through a third of the camp's food stores in three days."

But why would anyone let Palmer leave the group by himself? And it would be far less risky for Blair to just steal food on his own, since he's already freely roaming the camp to steal helicopter parts and whatever. The writer was evidently trying to fill two 'plot holes' (what does Blair use for thing-food, and why doesn't Palmer do anything?) - but didn't think it through all the way.

So, it's just a matter of having a stronger interpretation than that.

gary oldmans diary posted:

you mean like how you state blair controls and uses the thing or when youve actually described characters thoughts.

We're shown that Blair controls his abilties when he attacks Garry without exploding.

Determining characters' thought processes from their actions is just literacy.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 9, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If anything I’ve written is untrue or inaccurate, it should be extremely easy for you to demonstrate it.
The entire film exists in The Matrix. Prove me wrong.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

We're shown that Blair controls his abilties when he attacks Garry without exploding.

Determining characters' thought processes from their actions is just literacy.
these are your words

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

The entire film exists in The Matrix. Prove me wrong.

The matrix simulates a perpetual 1999, while The Thing takes place in 1982.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

you mean like how you state blair controls and uses the thing or when youve actually described characters thoughts. yeah done that. you ignore the actual arguments levied at you because youre smg
your shtick doesnt work when you get mad because now youre just back to lying to troll and be a dick. again. maybe take a break until your mental state is back up to 100% as high as yours goes
im guessing youve finally gotten kicked out of there by now

Dude take a breather pls

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The matrix simulates a perpetual 1999, while The Thing takes place in 1982.
Having stated that the film takes place in the Matrix I now take this as fact. Therefore the logical conclusion is that the research station is people from 1999 cosplaying as people from 1982.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think Thing was an std as none of the characters ever hosed on screen and I am forced to assume were celibate otherwise the director would make their sexual lives visible in the film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

Having stated that the film takes place in the Matrix I now take this as fact. Therefore the logical conclusion is that the research station is people from 1999 cosplaying as people from 1982.

The opening scene of The Thing also shows the saucer crashing in the distant past.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Splicer posted:

Actually the Matrix takes place during The Thing. Blair is running a simulation off-screen about what would happen in a creepy future where human beings are batteries.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The opening scene of The Thing also shows the saucer crashing in the distant past.
Given that this is taking place in the matrix, and the main characters are larping, that was clearly an introductory film they watched before entering the larp to set the tone for their 1982 themed monster movie one-shot loosely based on the 1951 classic the thing from another world.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Splicer posted:

Given that this is taking place in the matrix, and the main characters are larping, that was clearly an introductory film they watched before entering the larp to set the tone for their 1982 themed monster movie one-shot loosely based on the 1951 classic the thing from another world.

I swear to loving Christ this better not show up as a plot point in Ready Player Three...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The world of the Matrix is understood to have a fabricated "past" equivalent to our own in order to support the illusion that it is reality; everyone isn't wandering around in it all "good morning fellow person from 1999 New York, the only place or time there has ever been". The film depicts a good deal of artifacts and architecture of pre-90s provenance, say; it all presumably popped into being at the same instant as the rest of the Matrix was stood up with an innate backstory of being constructed in the height of 70s brutalism or whatever. Ergo, the saucer crashed in a simulation of the distant past; it's both ancient and exactly the same age as everything else.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In the kennel scene, Macready just starts shooting the normal dog(s) all of a sudden and Clark’s all like ‘hey what the gently caress!’ because nobody believes the creatures are infectious at that point.

At best, Macready’s thinking “gotta end the suffering!”, but that’s obviously premature, considering the dog’s just being grabbed. Less charitably, he’s just blasting away indiscriminately in a way that obviously foreshadows Clark’s eventual death at his hands.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

. Ergo, the saucer crashed in a simulation of the distant past.

That would be extremely wasteful, like simulating hundreds of millions of years of animal life in order to plant fossils. The matrix robots are in the middle of an energy crisis! It’s much easier just to roll the clocks back to Jan 1, 1999 every new year.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Macready is a hacker who has previously escaped the Matrix. The nonsensical chess game is an attempt to dial out. His satisfaction is due to his belief that he is succeeding, his anger is due to being thwarted. The "bitch" is the matrix itself. He destroys the computer not out of pettiness; it is now useless to him, and merely another tool of the machines.

Blair's anachronistic simulation is an actual simulation being run on the matrix hardware at large and then spat back out into faux 1982 graphics. Blair also represents humanity's willingness to believe the lie of the Matrix, to take everything the machines show them at face value as long as it's terrible (a callback to Smith's speech about the previous matrix attempts)

The Thing is Agent Smith. The Thing takes place between the first and second film, and details his flight to the sub-simulation and reconstitution/mastery of his new powers following the climax of the first film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ergo, the saucer crashed in a simulation of the distant past; it's both ancient and exactly the same age as everything else.
Morpheus pops up a ruined hellscape like no big dealie, so worrying about fake carbon dating of the spaceship is completely irrelevant in Matrixland

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The fossils might be millions years old but that doesn't mean they didn't just appear there yesterday already millions years old :colbert:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Dude take a breather pls
were only 1 page away from the massive smg post where he argued that if you think any aspects of the thing were ambiguous and cant definitely be determined by the viewer you might as well just think the entire antarctic continent was made of the thing
him stating that im arguing that the film is incomprehensible is just extremely obvious strawman and im not going to pretend hes arguing in good faith at that point. hes just taking shots

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In the kennel scene, Macready just starts shooting the normal dog(s) all of a sudden and Clark’s all like ‘hey what the gently caress!’ because nobody believes the creatures are infectious at that point.

At best, Macready’s thinking “gotta end the suffering!”, but that’s obviously premature, considering the dog’s just being grabbed. Less charitably, he’s just blasting away indiscriminately in a way that obviously foreshadows Clark’s eventual death at his hands.

That would be extremely wasteful, like simulating hundreds of millions of years of animal life in order to plant fossils. The matrix robots are in the middle of an energy crisis! It’s much easier just to roll the clocks back to Jan 1, 1999 every new year.

Not that much moreso than simulating a few decades' worth of grime and wear on each of the antiques in this shop. It's unclear how the robots' energy budget works, since as described their whole project of creating an indistinguishably perfect 1:1 replica of reality to house the people powering the simulation through their waste bioelectric potential doesn't seem like a very efficient use of resources anyway; but through the movie they're shown to be extremely literal about how they go about manipulating the Matrix, and as much as possible is done in-simulation using its physical rules. It's plausible that with nobody actually witnessing the intervening thousands/millions of years they can fast-forward a bit post-crash, the "ancient" spaceship crash scene we see may well have been rendered in some pocket simulation precisely before the dog showed up at McMurdo, but if they want a flying saucer with realistic scorch marks and decay they really are simulating it crashing from orbit in just the way we saw.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Macready kills the dogs because he knows they're not real. Nothing is real in the Matrix.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Johnny Truant posted:

i forgot about this topic and came in to shitpost about the Thing and there's some big dumbass arguments going on here what the gently caress

It seems only fitting that the Aliens thread is all chummy if superficial while The Thing thread is in a continuous state of heated conflict.

EDIT: I'm glad that there is a consensus that The Thing takes place in the matrix, though!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It seems only fitting that the Aliens thread is all chummy if superficial

Lmao, careful you don't disappear up your own rear end!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
so the thing was in the red pill

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It seems only fitting that the Aliens thread is all chummy if superficial

How do I get out of this chicken-poo poo outfit

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

were only 1 page away from the massive smg post where he argued that if you think any aspects of the thing were ambiguous and cant definitely be determined by the viewer you might as well just think the entire antarctic continent was made of the thing
him stating that im arguing that the film is incomprehensible is just extremely obvious strawman and im not going to pretend hes arguing in good faith at that point. hes just taking shots

Yeah, but smg is still talking about the movie while you’re alluding that smg has mental issues because they’re.... talking about the movie?

That’s not cool.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Looks like someone didn't read the whole thread

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Aliens thread: "Remember 'Aliens Versus Predator' for Atari Jaguar? Good times, good times."

The Thing thread: "The diegesis informs the subtext, NOT the other way around"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, but smg is still talking about the movie while you’re alluding that smg has mental issues because they’re.... talking about the movie?

That’s not cool.
nah lots of people itt are talking about the movie
if we cant say someones unreasonable or being a bonehead anymore then whats become of us
besides the goodness id like to especially compliment the chosen frames

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

im not going to pretend hes arguing in good faith at that point. hes just taking shots

I just hope people talk about the thing, I welcome it. Alternative takes are great to me. I have seen many so far, but the posts made about posters detract from that happening, to, me at least.

Although in a way, anger gives the thread a very trapped in Antarctica vibe and makes it more authentic. Namaste.

Efb

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

good point

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
talking about the thing is just like talking about trump but the stakes are much less stressful

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How long were you alone with that gimmick poster?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

ANoES went on for seven sequels after that just fyi

besides the goodness id like to especially compliment the chosen frames

ahaha thanks

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I was just about to ask if anyone thought this shot:

might be a Thing From Another World homage when it hit me, why don't I just watch the thing myself (no pun intended)? I never actually have. So yeah, I'm a check that out.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The title made me think this thread was going to be much sexier

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ambiguity would entail describing multiple equally-plausible conclusions based on the same evidence. It’s not enough to just list possibilities.

At the end of The Thing, for example, Childs‘ status is not a real ambiguity. Both characters are sitting beside a big pile of flaming metal, which is all the equipment you need to perform a Macready blood test. Macready doesn’t want to propose a test - might not even be thinking about it - because he’s already quite certain that Childs is not an evil alien.

“Why don't we just wait here for a little while, see what happens?”

Macready’s last line is a direct reference to Blair’s observation that the virus is only really active in the darkness. He’s talking about how the fire will eventually go out and trigger a spontaneous reaction in whoever’s infected. But again: why not test Childs and/or kill him now, to get it over with? If he doesn’t believe Childs is infected, then why bother with all this posturing?

Even if Macready has finally realized that his blood test wouldn’t work until the later stages of the infection (one of the more sensible observations in the “Things” story), they could still perform multiple tests.

That’s where we get to the actual ambiguity: either Macready suspects that he himself has the virus, and is a hypocrite, or he needs to keep alive the spectre of the vanquished enemy to distract him from the cold certainty of death.

There is a third possibility, though: Macready has finally wised up and realized that nobody needs to die. If they stay socially-distanced long enough for some rescue to arrive, both of them can be kept safely quarantined long enough to figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

The Thing is set in the same universe as Mrs. Columbo. If you don't believe me you haven't watched the film closely enough.