Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I remember I used to watch a ton of these old school Kung fu films as a kid but now the only one I can remember is the original Drunken Master. Does anyone remember some good ones to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Anything from the Shaw Brothers, particularly the films of Gordon Liu.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lone Wolf and Cub series is pretty great for swordplay and mega violence.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jackie Chan's old stuff is dope.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The One Armed Swordsman, and Shao Lin vs Wu Tang

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't go wrong with Rumble in the Bronx.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 7, 2020

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Kung Fu Grandpa

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Panda Fu or whatever its called. Kung Panda.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I guess it depends on how old you mean? Jet Li movies were pretty good. Fist of legend and some of the earlier wong fei hung stuff.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I genuinely love The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. It's like a charming Kung-Fu hero origin story. You follow a monk through all these bizzare obstacle courses and the lesson he learns from each obstacle comes into the final fight.

Its old, cheesy, and cozy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

I genuinely love The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. It's like a charming Kung-Fun hero origin story. You follow a monk through all these bizzare obstacle courses and the lesson he learns from each obstacle comes into the final fight.

I can't remember if I've seen this or not because there are like 20 Golden Harvest movies with "Shaolin" in the title.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You can’t go wrong with any non-Game of Death Bruce Lee movies. I watch a Enter the Dragon and Fists of Fury double header like twice a year.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Master of the Flying Guillotine is great. That guy's eyebrows could take the roof off a place.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Check out the Shaw Brothers movies from the 70s and 80s.

I would start with 36th Chamber and Five Deadly Venoms.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 7, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
not kung fu, but old school: Akira Kirasawa samurai flicks. Yojimbo, 7 Samurai, etc...

Kung Fu Hustle is pretty awesome for something more contemporary and has a sense of style and humor. Not that old though.

Jackie Chan does a good Drunken Master too.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Come Drink With Me
Five Deadly Venoms
36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Crippled Masters
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Chinese Connection
One Armed Boxer

Also for some old school yakuza, check out the Battle Without Honor or Humanity movies. They're on Amazon Prime.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

check out the matrix op

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Come Drink With Me
Five Deadly Venoms
36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Crippled Masters
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Chinese Connection
One Armed Boxer

I would add only ‘five elements ninjas’ to this list. It is absurd in all the best ways.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
Fantasy Mission Force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBz-20-mVo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
And second the crippled masters
The Flying Guillotine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvE9WfsP73A

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Touch of Zen

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I would add only ‘five elements ninjas’ to this list. It is absurd in all the best ways.

I just finished watching five elements ninja tonight with all my buds on discord, they absolutely enjoyed the hell out of it and singlehandedly got them interested in more cheesy kung fu flicks, its absolutely amazing.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Elderbean posted:

I genuinely love The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. It's like a charming Kung-Fu hero origin story. You follow a monk through all these bizzare obstacle courses and the lesson he learns from each obstacle comes into the final fight.

I was going to post this. Great fun. One of the local TV channels used to do "Kung Fu Theater" every weekend. This was one of their regular offerings. This, "The legend of the Seven Golden Vampires", and "Master of the Flying Guillotine". All cheesy movies that are great fun to watch.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If you liked the first Drunken Master, watch the second because it's even better.
Rumble in the Bronx and Police Story are Jackie Chan's other best movies. Honestly it's hard to go wrong with Chan's Hong Kong flicks, even the lesser ones have great fight sequences. Don't bother with his american movies.

If you only see one Bruce Lee, it has to be Enter the Dragon.
nthing the recommendation of 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
the one where bruce lee fights chuck norris

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is one of the most fun times I've had watching a movie.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Legend of the Liquid Sword

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

check out the matrix op

gently caress you

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i just got trolled didnt i

poo poo

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I just watched the Mortal Kombat movie and it was great

good music as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juaunbIGCcw

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

"Duel of Fists"; Another Shaw Bros movie, a Kung Fu heir finds out his estranged brother is in Thailand slugging it out as a Muay Thai kickboxer; intrigue and sick fights ensue.

"Tai Chi Master"; another quite nice 'heroic journey' plot with a great rivalry.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

You are the last dragon, you possess the power of the glow.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
5 elements ninjas owns.

There's a guy who fights so hard that he slips on his guts and dies, and also sword stilts.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Five Elements Ninjas is a great introduction into the bizarre part of old kung fu. If you want to follow that rabbit hole, The Bastard Swordsman, Battle Wizards, and The Brave Archer are all legitimately great and fun kung fu, and also happen to be batshit insane. Battle Wizards is my personal favorite, because it gives you maybe 2 minutes of normalcy before it veers into a kung fu adulterer blasting some dude's legs off with laser beams from his fingertips. All three of these should be on Amazon Prime.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's The Bells of Death. Starts of as a typical goofy Shaw Bros kung fu flick,and then very quickly reveals some of the best choreography and cinematography I've seen in the genre. It's on prime as well.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Five Venoms has been mentioned a few times and is really great. One of my other favorites is Legendary Weapons of China, a Gordon Liu/Shaw Bros classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmEMTlSofTI

also watch Dirty Ho if you've never seen it, it's a great mix of comedy and excellent fight scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E-nkSbV8Sg

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is one of the most fun times I've had watching a movie.

Yes, this. Not an old kung fu film, but deffo a must for anyone who likes stupid amounts of gore.
Out of curiosity I read the manga a couple of years ago and it goes bug gently caress crazy near the end. Rikis final opponent is his father Abraham. As in literally Abraham from the bible. He also happens to be a time traveling descendant of Riki from the far future.
Once Riki's finally beaten Abe he sails away on the back of a whale, never to be seen again.
They really should have made that into a movie sequel.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I just finished watching five elements ninja tonight with all my buds on discord, they absolutely enjoyed the hell out of it and singlehandedly got them interested in more cheesy kung fu flicks, its absolutely amazing.

for people who liked Five Elements Ninjas, it's important to know that the director, Chang Cheh, made like two dozen movies just like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFwGUpN5XM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB6PAHt9tfM

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There's a movie out there where the original (old school) Drunken Master fights Pai Mei (yes THAT Pai Mei, the same one from Kill Bill, he's 1000 years old, after all) and it's beautiful, and I run across it every few years but never remember the name of it.

The main focal point of it is a fight involving a table where they're essentially doing 'Russian leg kick dancing' but simultaneously holding the table up by doing so and refusing to drink liquor from one anothers cups. It's great.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The_Continental posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub series is pretty great for swordplay and mega violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Quest is cool