Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
THE APA VS. THE YOUNG BUCKS
the posters of 10 years ago were correct, apa is better
I REFUSE TO VOTE. THIS MATCH MUST HAPPEN AGAIN IN THE NEXT TOURNAMENT
the posters of 10 years ago were wrong. Go Bucks!
View Results

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would vote in a new one but the bucks would win. Love the bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HulkaMatt posted:

2nd: should we do this again?

I'd love to see this again, the top 4 teams last time were pretty great but man it would be great to see F(R)IGHT ISLAND's take on it nowadays that we have more access and wider spread interest in non-WWE or even American-specific promotions.

Is there a link to the old thread? Forgive me if I missed it, but I'm kinda interested in going back to see how bad 2010 Jerusalem's opinions on tag teams were.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the time I'm not shocked that poll favored US teams and WWE teams but still shocked the Brain Busters made the top 4. Even just limiting to NWA-WCW/WWF(E) teams from the 80's it's a stretch to call them a top 4 team especially when they're WWF tag run was underwhelming even by WWF tag title run standards

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Chris Benoit killed his family.

i heard he was on the juice big time

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Critical posted:

i heard he was on the juice big time

WHAT IS THIS???

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I will vote for APA since they're about always pounding rear end while the Bucks are against people always pounding rear end.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Given the time I'm not shocked that poll favored US teams and WWE teams but still shocked the Brain Busters made the top 4. Even just limiting to NWA-WCW/WWF(E) teams from the 80's it's a stretch to call them a top 4 team especially when they're WWF tag run was underwhelming even by WWF tag title run standards

People love Arn Anderson.

HulkaMatt posted:

Let's also not pretend that Wrestlehut in October of 2010 watched much puro at all

I genuinely don't remember how the list came to be which is why I kinda wanna just redo the whole thing.

you were like "we do singles wrestlers but uh list some all time favorite tag teams in nomination thread" and thats how it happened

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

cant believe the second greatest tag team of all time wasnt even in the bracket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcVSLcaW58

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I will never vote for the Young Bucks. Restart the tournament

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Bucks might make my top 25, maybe top 50. I'd have to put some thought into it but they're far from my favourite

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

they're definitely in my top 1

top 1 WORST TAG TEAM OF ALL TIME

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

Chris Benoit killed his family.

but not before the first psp tournament

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

weekly font posted:

but not before the first psp tournament

Hulkamatt said it was just over 10 years since the last tournament and Benoit did his murders 13 and half years ago so I think he had?

Personally I am quite comfortable admitting I still rate Benoit the wrestler very highly despite Benoit the human doing horrid poo poo, and still I can't think much of him as a tag wrestler.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 9, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Hulkamatt said it was just over 10 years since the last tournament and Benoit did his murders 13 and half years ago so I think he had?

the first tournament was in 2007

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bucks Haters are absolute freaks

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They're two of 3 people in AEW who can pull out 5* matches. Kenny being the 3rd. As amazing as I find AEW's roster I'm having trouble seeing any other combos that would result in 5 snowflakes.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Personally I am quite comfortable admitting I still rate Benoit the wrestler very highly despite Benoit the human doing horrid poo poo, and still I can't think much of him as a tag wrestler.

Counter-argument: Angle/Benoit, also Jericho/Benoit briefly. He wasn’t a naturally great tag wrestler but he was a superb partner when you put him with a charismatic talent.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

They're two of 3 people in AEW who can pull out 5* matches. Kenny being the 3rd. As amazing as I find AEW's roster I'm having trouble seeing any other combos that would result in 5 snowflakes.

there are, in fact, seven other wrestlers who have pulled off 5 star matches under the AEW banner!

brian
Sep 11, 2001

ah yes the universally agreed upon star system for matches

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i personally prefer the EGM method of four people surrounding a match rating it on a scale from 0-10 using a 1.5 system and awarding silver/gold/platinum honors to matches that average an 8/9/10 rating respectively, along with the best average rated match being the Match Of The Month.

the_rob gets to be sushi-X

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Young Bucks are Good Christian Boys

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I see a lot of peoples devices are auto correcting Best Friends to Young Bucks... which is totally understandable. Just wanted to make sure that was put out into the open.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I've wasted my life here

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

We're too contrarian to let the bucks win

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Best Friends or Taichi/Sabre are way more likely to win. Lucha Bros and New Day too. Plus someone like the RnR Express or the Harts could still pull it out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I will vote for the Young Bucks.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

brian posted:

ah yes the universally agreed upon star system for matches

Meltzer is a lovely journalist but his star ratings are the standardized metric of match ratings among wrestlenerds.
Also I forgot about BF/PnP street fight being 5*. Which I still find a little surprising.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
AEW's had four matches ranked 5 stars or higher:

Omega/Page vs. Bucks (6)
Bucks vs. Lucha Bros ladder match (5 1/4)
Best Friends vs. PnP parking lot brawl (5)
Cody vs. Dustin (5)

Clearly Dave is biased towards tag matches and/or wacky gimmicks

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't see Land of the Giants (Blade Butch Masters and Skywalker Nitron) on there so yes, do a new one. And do it right this time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Sassy Boys

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

AEW's had four matches ranked 5 stars or higher:

Omega/Page vs. Bucks (6)
Bucks vs. Lucha Bros ladder match (5 1/4)
Best Friends vs. PnP parking lot brawl (5)
Cody vs. Dustin (5)

Clearly Dave is biased towards tag matches and/or wacky gimmicks

Coward Kidani just pays better than Coward Tony

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I would appreciate recommendations for teams that aren't incredibly obvious and also teams from the last several years as my watching hasn't exactly been consistent.

I also still know next to nothing outside of US/JP wrestling so I won't know any actual lucha teams.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

I would appreciate recommendations for teams that aren't incredibly obvious and also teams from the last several years as my watching hasn't exactly been consistent.

I also still know next to nothing outside of US/JP wrestling so I won't know any actual lucha teams.

Alaois posted:

do the tournament again so i can nominate Double Inoue

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

Recommending the joshi Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) as long as they're put up against Chuck and Trent to make up for the fact they've never had a match for the rights to be best friends. (also because they've just reunited and they're really good)

on the non-NJPW puro side from the last few years, the big teams to include would probably be

Violent Giants (Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa)
AXIZ (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki)
Strong BJ (Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi)
Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki)
Eruption (Yukio Sakaguchi, Kazusada Higuchi & Saki Akai)

at least imho

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Eddy and Love Machine will lead to some wild debates.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
big mami and nino hamburgesa

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

The butcher and the blade.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If the first tournament was run in 2007, then FIST at that time (Icarus/Gran Akuma) was far inferior to it's best lineup (Gargano/Chuckie T), this should be corrected on a rematch

Seconding the teams GWB said and also:
Momo No Seishun (Daisuke Harada and Atsushi Kotoge)
Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto/Katsuyori Shibata)
Swords of Essex (Paul Robinson/Will Ospreay)
Future Shock (Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Just say Penta and Fenix and call it a day.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

Meltzer is a lovely journalist but his star ratings are the standardized metric of match ratings among wrestlenerds.
Also I forgot about BF/PnP street fight being 5*. Which I still find a little surprising.

oh come on you can't be serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

If the first tournament was run in 2007, then FIST at that time (Icarus/Gran Akuma) was far inferior to it's best lineup (Gargano/Chuckie T), this should be corrected on a rematch

Seconding the teams GWB said and also:
Momo No Seishun (Daisuke Harada and Atsushi Kotoge)
Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto/Katsuyori Shibata)
Swords of Essex (Paul Robinson/Will Ospreay)
Future Shock (Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly)

The first favorite wrestler tournament was in 2007 this tag tournament was in 2010.