Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I think I’ve been in all the previous ones, so yes, I’m in here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

##vote chaoslord

Good evening, kids.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

t a s t e posted:

I’m vanilla town

Lies ##vote t a s t e

chaoslord posted:

Why can’t us football referees and soccer referees get along? :(

Also I do football now too so I’m in the brotherhood wtf

I didn’t know you were an official, that’s rad.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Yeah I vaguely remember us talkin about it a while ago, I feel like you told me you were a deep wing or something but probably wrong on that. But that’s why I jokingly challenged you in the discord to see who the true referee of SA Mafia was before Keane pulled rank on us as a dodgeball World Cup international referee

Yeah, Keane still keeps that crown for now. I work everything except U at HS level and have settling in to short/deep wing at small college level now (I’m not in yet but on the prospect list).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Oh nice. If it weren’t for COVID I would start going to college ID camps by now. I’m not working full varsity yet but I have expendable income and I think it would be good as a teaching experience and good to be in front of those people a few times since that’s my ultimate goal. Plus I have family where they usually do the camp in my state so I can have an excuse to go visit them haha.

Let’s chat more once game is over and/or we are both dead :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sal seems earnest so far, I read him for town, everybody else is null.

FF Tier List since I missed my opportunity to post (games I haven’t finished omitted)

FF7
FF7R
FF1

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Revive me help, Squigs?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Good afternoon. I’m not touching the AC thing today, mainly because it feels gross to try to deduce *anything* in regards to alignment after how some of that discussion went. That isn’t a free pass indefinitely, but in a 20+ person game there HAVE to be better options today.

Speaking of better options, I recall getting bad vibes from Rarity before she really started accumulating votes- I’m gonna go back and look at that to confirm.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Oh also ##unvote

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rarity posted:

I think this is the most active I've ever seen Hal play

Hal Incandenza posted:

doubtful!

Is this shade? OR a compliment?

Rarity posted:

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3947283&userid=200217]

Neither really :v:

Rarity posted:

##vote Hal

He just admitted his posting is for show and not because he cares about finding scum

Ah, it was this one, which other pointed out too and I guess wasn’t *all* that much before votes started coming in. Regardless, I don’t feel like this exchange was/is in good faith.

Still reviewing, but I would vote here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Amni claimed with basically no provocation- not great for D1 but probably verifiable later anyway. Checked a few of the other cases made out, nothing rings super true to me, so ##vote Rarity.

I’m aware this probably seems like a bit of a lazy vote, and I’m open to moving if something compelling comes up (and I should be around most of the day), but this is the only real scum ping I’ve had so far.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rarity posted:

Ok add Ref to my would vote list for coming in and going 'oh yes the most suspected player I would vote them, I totally thought they were scum earlier I just didn't say so'

It’s not like I’ve been posting up a storm previous to now, clearly. I went back to revisit what I remembered pinging me earlier. Sorry it was you, I guess?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sandwolf posted:

This post pings me so singularly as scum it's hard for me to move past.

It just reeks of overexcited scum trying to connect dots that aren't there. Where does the logic even come from? Rarity is scum so town Amni is becoming the sacrificial goat? Yet, that's exactly who Bif is pursuing...?

It's not 'setting up a chain lunch' but it is very much so trying to set up a target for D2 to attack.

I can see this line of argument.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sandwolf posted:

I'd like to vote AC, Bif, or Grandi today.

Do you have more of a case on Grandi than this?

Sandwolf posted:

I would maybe vote Grandi, his whole tone has felt very off today. Very: “How do you do fellow kids,” sorta thing

(I get you put them third, but...)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sandwolf posted:

Not really, it's very based off of Grandi's tone, he hasn't said anything especially damning or, more indicatively, anything especially townie.

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something you were referencing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

b-minus1 posted:

Ok so gumball isn’t gonna happen. I’ve nailed him as scum before. he lurked until he was called out,and suddenly became active when he was in danger of being lunched. Lets not get to that point

Is Gumball a rename or a rereg? I don’t recall playing with them before.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’ve got whiplash from Steak’s last three posts.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Northwest Arkansas, probably takes me 40 minutes to get to the state line, so probably the same one :hfive:

------------------------

I see Rarity is the vote leader by a large margin, I've got like 14 pages to catch up on, can someone give me a quick rundown of why that is? TIA

Bifauxnen posted:

Sorry Sandwolf, I started trying to condense the Rarity case to three bullet points but it didn't work, you're just gonna get rambling sorry

The main point though is weak superficial casing that pales in comparison to what I've seen of her previous town play, where she was light years ahead in high-quality active bulldog casing.

The vote on Hal would've fit right into jokephase as a sarcastic parody of an actual case, but she was pushing it totally seriously all "how can no one else see this?" then when she was getting heat for it she dumped out some quickie comments on super easy stuff like Squiggly and Chic. Then she made that similarly bad point against Steak:

which she's just abandoned and not mentioned again after people said it was crap. Then she showed up to very quietly agree with you and Amni on AC:

before abruptly falling in line with the whole stick-up-for-AC mood you bemoaned earlier once the mood shifted:

She's tried to make more effort in shading me, but it often comes down to just baselessly declaring my tone is a certain way. Which is pretty hard to argue against, and easy to use as a way to make my stuff sound dodgier even if she has no actual point.

Like look, seriously this is what gets me really ranting in Mafia the most, is not just being called scum, but wondering how the hell my tone can be that wildly misunderstood and if I have any communication skills at all ffs. You're already reading me wildly different from how I'm actually feeling and hearing my own voice in my head. So it's easy for someone to come in and just say something like this:

Like mate? You have seen me being a dick and being pissy. I hope you can see how this does not compare at all.

Or here for not having a tone... like what whole body of work is she expecting me to have the "nervous tone" in? I just said right then in that there post that I was just now starting to get nervous. And it's like, all I'm nervous about is that if I'm right about Rarity and wrong about Amni, it's gonna be super easy to get everyone swung over that way, so maybe that was going on when some people showed up to vote Amni instead of Rarity... but I do still think Amni is likely scum so it's not like some existential dread that infuses my very soul to be picked up in my writing.

Lol she says this while still agreeing with like every read I've had that isn't her

This is a slightly-long version of what most of us are looking at.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Referee posted:

Ah, it was this one, which other pointed out too and I guess wasn’t *all* that much before votes started coming in. Regardless, I don’t feel like this exchange was/is in good faith.

Still reviewing, but I would vote here.

Also, here’s a shorter version, my own post, just focused on the Hal interaction (click through for quotes)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I would listen to a Grandicap case but I don’t recall seeing anything with any substance to it yet.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

That said, a weekend deadline with 14 votes total needed to lunch and under four hours to go gives me pause about too much moving around. I’d like to make sure people are going to be around and/or enough people are in agreement before things get split up too much.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Votecount for Day 1

Rarity (8): Gumball Gumption, Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam, Mills, apostateCourier, apostateCourier, Yami Fenrir, t a s t e, Bifauxnen, Idle Amalgam, Gumball Gumption, Yami Fenrir, Referee, sandnavyguy, Yami Fenrir, IcePhoenix, Mr. Steak
Amnistar (3): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, apostateCourier, Idle Amalgam, Ceyton, Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir
Gumball Gumption (3): b-minus1, Amnistar, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, DGK2000
Grandicap (2): apostateCourier, Amnistar, Amnistar, Rarity, Rarity, apostateCourier, Rarity, Rarity, Sandwolf, Rarity
Squiggly (2): Hal Incandenza, apostateCourier, Yami Fenrir, Rhjamiz, Mr. Steak, apostateCourier, Yami Fenrir, Mr. Steak
chaoslord (1): Referee, Referee, CCKeane
Yami Fenrir (1): SalTheBard, Bifauxnen, Yami Fenrir, Bifauxnen, Yami Fenrir
Bifauxnen (1): flerp
Sandwolf (1): Gumball Gumption
Idle Amalgam (1): Bifauxnen, Grandicap, Bifauxnen
SalTheBard (1): chaoslord
t a s t e (0): Referee, Referee
Referee (0): Rarity, Rarity
Hal Incandenza (0): Grandicap, Rarity, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Grandicap, Rarity
apostateCourier (0): Amnistar, Mr. Steak, Amnistar, Amnistar, Mr. Steak, Sandwolf, Amnistar, Sandwolf
Mr. Steak (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy
CCKeane (0): Rarity, b-minus1, Rarity, b-minus1
Mills (0): DGK2000, DGK2000

Not Voting (2): Chic Trombone, Squiggly

With 26 alive, it's 14 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 14th, 2020 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 3 hours, 42 minutes.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Grandicap posted:

Noone with any actual number of votes and I am not willing to case someone for real this late into the day.
IA, AC, IS are all on my radar.
Bif too still, but way far down, like even if she were an option today I probably wouldn't jump on it because if she is town, she will be a fairly large net positive later days, and if I still feel this way later I can actually articulate it.

Assuming I am the IS you are referencing, since we don’t have anyone else with those initials in this game, humor me and tell me what’s putting me on your radar?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Grandicap posted:

Noone with any actual number of votes and I am not willing to case someone for real this late into the day.

It’s not even so much that you mentioned me, but the bolded piece interests me. Especially since your vote is currently the only one on IA. If you aren’t willing to make a case on anyone because it’s late in the day, why aren’t you simply voting the vote leader and being done with it? What else is going to change minds besides casing?

I know I said I was wary of vote-switching, but I feel like my tone on that is very different than what you’re coming across as here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Grandicap posted:

Yes you are the IS I am referring to, at least I am assuming it's you based on the AV. And I'm not sure exactly what is pinging me about you, but I definitely noticed something off. With more days I'll dig deeper into the feeling, but right now I'm comfortable with saying gut.

Grandicap posted:

As a sign that I don't agree with the case more than anything. I will vote there if my vote is required at EOD.

Hmmm, okay. If you don’t agree with the case I feel like you’d be stronger about pushing another option. But I’ll let it go for the moment.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Close, got about an hour!

But also a lot of people haven't been around and I'm probably going to hammer soon if no one else does? Attendance here is sparse which is weird even for when considering it's a Saturday night IMO, so I'm not sure the value in waiting especially because there is about to be boxing to watch. Like, what, this is the list of people around in the last 4 hours?

Steak, Ref, Me, Sandwolf, DGK, IP, Hal, Grandi, taste, bif, AC, you

Less than half the game has checked in down the stretch here.

Since you just got here though I will hold of if you (or anyone I suppose) has objections to me doing the thing

I wish a few more people had been around, but unfortunately I kind of expected it with a Saturday deadline. Hopefully D2 will be better.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Finishing up on Page 15, and while Rarity is the vote today, Amni is another poster worth looking at imo

This is the "press[ing] for more information about a claim"

Calling that a press about a claim is weird phrasing intended to get a reaction. Asking questions is not a scummy thing.

I also do not believe this to be true. While I'm not going to go back to count posts up to this point, Rarity is the highest poster in the game now and I'd be surprised if she hadn't been on every page, which would make it hard to not have an opinion on them! And like this

Just reads as a gotcha to me. If AC had repeated the previous stuff, I am 100% sure Amni would have called them out for +1ing.

Interesting. I’ll noodle on this tonight.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m assuming Amni killed one of those two. Way to go. That’s a very good N1 as far as I’m concerned.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Ceyton posted:

If what happened is what I think happened... well played, guys :laugh:

In either case, thank you for your service Amni :patriot:

This was my assumption too, at least in part :lol:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm sorry I doubted you amni.

Nothing that I'm aware of.

Also I will freely admit that I haven't done any rereading during the night phase. I will try to get it in sometime today.

I have reached critical sadbrains, is why.

:negative:

Good wishes your way, Yami- hang in there :glomp:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

From a quick skim of the posts of both flipped scum, Mills seems to have soft-defended Hal and B- was after Gumball, but unfortunately neither player has a ton of posts or reads to go off of.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

That’s interesting. I’ll have to ponder that for a bit.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Some people were discussing kill flavor earlier after I stepped away. From what I recall of other games in this series by CPig, kill flavor does NOT always track to a particular alignment. Especially after a single night of results, I don’t think we should put a lot of stock in this yet.

I do, however, think it’s safe to assume that the flipped Elite Bodyguard was responsible for one of the two scum deaths.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't like Squiggs and Ceyton feels like scum casting around for a town-case to make.

Squigs had a bit of a bland D1 by the standards I’m used to with him, but I’m not really suspicious of him at this juncture.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m behind on real-life stuff and scrambling to get caught up by this evening so that I can do a more fuller reread, but likely won’t be in-thread for the next 6-8 hours. Apologies in advance.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Good morning. I obviously did not make it back yesterday like I hoped, but am here and rereading now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m not really sold on the suspicion of Hal from earlier this game day. I don’t think he reacted as badly as it was argued that he did.

Re: Keane’s assertion of Yami distancing, in that instance I feel the opposite of how I did about Hal; I didn’t like that reaction as well, nor was I impressed by AC immediately jumping in to defend them. Something for me to watch.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm a Blue Mage so I can copy abilities and use the following night. I figured if I could copy Yami's ability it might be a form of "soft copping" but instead I got a message saying my action failed. I'm trying to figure out if Yami got jailed or something or if they just don't have a night action I can copy.

I have no idea why you would claim this so early, Sal. Other than being typical earnest Sal, for lack of a better way to phrase it.

Later, I do like Squigs’ case on Rhjamiz. Still rereading but I would vote here. This seems more put-together than the other cases today.

That said, Grandi’s subsequent case on Ceyton is pretty good too.

Sandwolf posted:

I would rather you read a little bit tomorrow or whenever you get some time than just claim tbh, these are pressure votes that seem to have done their job at least

Sandwolf posted:

##vote DGK

Slightly pinged by the quick jump-off of chaoslord here by Sandwolf. Not a major ping but I’m noting it in case for later.

Okay, caught up, rereading eleven pages on mobile and putting together larger posts isn’t fun, sorry. In terms of people who I would vote today, I’m okay with a Ceyton or Rhjamiz vote. I still feel pretty townie about Sal and Squigs after their contributions today. The majority of everyone else falls into the null category for me, there’s just too much to track at this point.

Ceyton I think is still close to the dunk line so parking this for now, but I’m open to a switch. ##vote Rhjamiz

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sandwolf posted:

You better actually do this otherwise you’re like the 8th person to make this claim

Sandwolf posted:

The next person to come in and go “I haven’t read yet, but I will,” should be vigged

Wasn’t intentional, just trying to reread on mobile over lunch so it took a bit :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I should also be around for most of the rest of the day until deadline too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, that's where I am. I think if there are two scum teams I don't think a Ceyton vote is ridiculous, if there's only one and then a bunch of 3P, well, poo poo, I don't know man.

This isn’t meant to start a huge game-spec discussion, but since it isn’t the first time it’s come up (don’t remember if it was you mentioning it before or someone else), are there any actual, like, flavor reasons to believe two scum teams is a possibility, or is this just mainly a game size speculation thing? I haven’t played far enough into FF9 to know.