Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just found this thread and it's super interesting, thanks for your explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Oh I see. Please don't hold back, it's really helpful to know this stuff. I'm a late adopter usually and I've not been paying attention to the 3D printer scene so this is good to know. This is the same story everywhere... So many niches, so much filling. :sigh:

Well, my friend wants me to make him a Klee figurine from Genshin Impact so maybe I will do that and maybe make a few more characters if it turns out to be fun. I have a bunch of other ideas for gadgets around the house where the 3D printer will help so I suppose the real treasure is the friends we printed along the way.

The benefit of being a late adopter here is you bought the best printer at that price point with a ton of support behind it so you don't have to make "designing and building and maintaining a fragile prototype printer" your new hobby. It's a problem solving tool, as has been covered it's almost impossible to make money owning a single printer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm finding this incredibly interesting.

I mean personally I'd have thought about it for a bit, dumbed the idea down, dumbed it down again, again, then either bought a switch or installed scummvm on a cheap tablet, so I'm always interested when someone deliberately chooses the hard route.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Curious to know, if you don't mind sharing, what kinds of things you would simplify. It's interesting to see other perspectives.

Oh nothing clever, I'd just solve the intermediate problems like not enough io by buying additional boards or boards with more io to start with, then worry about packaging it all together later. Then probably have to scrap everything I'd done to start again.

Though I did get about 50% of the way through building an led backgammon board with discrete logic many years back while studiously ignoring all easy options like FPGAs, raspberry pi's, etc. I want to redo that project some day, ironically what stopped me then would be the easiest part now, the printed case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a great machine. ABS is strong but PLA can be "strong enough", super easy to print and warps a hell of a lot less.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Don't bother with alcohol, scrub it with a drop of dish soap, rinse it off thoroughly then dry with something clean, either a cloth that hasn't had fabric conditioner on it or a paper towel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can't you just fold the tape over for corners? The adhesive will be on the wrong side for alternate directions but that's not insurmountable and it eliminates a ton of joints.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Regarding the cost of 1 big Vs 3 small boards, can you draw all three boards as one with the intention of cutting it apart after delivery? Have I misunderstood what makes it expensive? I've never had boards manufactured.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Remember if you just wanted a finished product you'd have bought a switch, you're learning lots of stuff and making something unique.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome, you're obviously either a very quick learner or talented to start with.

For the surface of those buttons try enabling ironing, you could also try a different top surface pattern which will disguise the text less. You may simply need a wider gap for the text.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Man people should really try getting a 3d printer and learning to create models because it's like crafting in a video game except real things pop out when you're done.

Absolutely onboard with you there, I love looking at problems, visualising the solutions then handing it over a couple of hours later.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It really gives you an appreciation for industrial design and the complexity of a team designing a product from the ground up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FYI a 0.2mm nozzle would solve that problem, but you don't want to be switching back and forth too often or trying to print large structural parts with it (merely due to speed).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So an interesting concept I saw in a sci-fi somewhere was to have a load of switches and joysticks etc on the back of the unit, focused on using your fingers rather than your thumbs. The whole unit ends up thicker but not as wide? Super complex challenge version would be to have the controls fold flat or roll behind the unit for different ways of holding/playing, but that's more of a fun idea than a practical one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well if you're planning on more wired iterations could you source some thinner gauge wire? What you're using looks overkill and is causing you space issues for sure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That looks a whole lot better, you could probably go much further too as current in those wires is going to be negligible? A quick Google turned up a load of tools for calculating trace width to awg conversion calculators but as there's a whole lot I don't know I'm not going to recommend one. I will say I've wired stuff up in the past with 0.15mm if it's just signals/switches and no active components, but I didn't do all the calculations, it just worked fine. I think that's about 34awg?

Anyway if it prototypes it's good enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interesting. You can power it from the 3.3v line for now I suppose, not ideal but better than 5v

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first option with the battery gauge sounds like the best place to start.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're not in a race with any one, keep learning.

Also if you ever think USB standards are a poo poo show, keep reading, the USB c standard is the worst yet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Really gives you a sense of respect for the designers of the switch, DS etc. with the battery life they manage to get our of their systems.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah the takeaway from that is both that 18650s are a fantastic module to build packs from, and that if you get to that point you've grown beyond the easy convenience of the pi anyway.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is it more efficient to step the voltage up or down? With 2 or 4 x 18650 you can choose either way.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

They are making more SBCs that have similar dimensions as the pi?

Googling "pi alternatives" gives you a hundred but I've no experience with them.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 30, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't use anything other than OEM pi PSUs, they're useless for anything else but I've never had a power issue with one of those in the loop.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wasting my money, but it's only £7.50

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was wondering the other day what this project would look like if you prototyped a giant don't-give-a-poo poo version with none of the finesse and cleverness you've put into this and realised it'd be a gargantuan 8lb cyberpunk monster and I'm glad you're doing it the way you are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

L for learning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A lot of truth there. Yes most people making pi's portable are either going overkill with massive batteries or slimming the hardware down to a pi zero or even smaller and even then they'll work around an issue like "can't turn on while plugged in" because working around it is easier than fixing it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That is an incredible assembly of pieces, really impressive to see the design iterating.