Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Most of these games look like total crap, and we should be much further along with graphics by now. The best showcase is that new Spiderman game. People still look like cartons instead of hyper-realistic. This raytracing stuff makes an excuse to put puddles everywhere in games. BoTW faked that inside shrines on the Switch.

I'm not that impressed at all. When are graphics actually going to start looking unbelievable? Felt like it should have happened generations ago. Instead of paradigm shifts, we're getting slow, incremental changes. The impression I have now is that it's going to be another 30-40 years, and by then my eyesight will be too poor to care or I'll be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Every game should be an FMV game. You can't get any more realistic than that.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Jose Oquendo posted:

Every game should be an FMV game. You can't get any more realistic than that.

This is why game graphics don't impress me that much these days. Mega Race had better ray tracing, and Lance Boyle looked extremely real, even if he was a little lower in resolution.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

had the best soundtrack to any game ever made

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Realistic graphics are bad imo

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Graphics usually get better towards the end of the Gen as developers learn how to squeeze as much juice out of the system as they can. Give it some more time.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Sorry about your pixel-art indie minecraft bootlegs OP

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Next leap in graphics will be with VR and that'll only happen when they aren't expensive as hell and awkward to wear for long periods of time.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Everything looks very nice?? We're getting to a point where real time rendering is getting closer to indistinguishable from prerendered.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Get a better TV op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just go back and play the one true console - the turbografx 16

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
And the wise man said: "gameplay is more important than graphics"

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
graphic's peaked with EA Sports NFL Head Coach (2006), for me anyway

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Real time ray tracing will make everything look great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

Most of these games look like total crap, and we should be much further along with graphics by now. The best showcase is that new Spiderman game. People still look like cartons instead of hyper-realistic. This raytracing stuff makes an excuse to put puddles everywhere in games. BoTW faked that inside shrines on the Switch.

I'm not that impressed at all. When are graphics actually going to start looking unbelievable? Felt like it should have happened generations ago. Instead of paradigm shifts, we're getting slow, incremental changes. The impression I have now is that it's going to be another 30-40 years, and by then my eyesight will be too poor to care or I'll be dead.

There's only so much we can do with current technology before hitting a bottleneck on size or power consumption that makes it so you can't use it in a console. This is how it is going to be until quantum computing is a thing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Get a better TV op

But my 14" CRT has always made graphics look most realistic since 1986!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's only so much we can do with current technology before hitting a bottleneck on size or power consumption that makes it so you can't use it in a console. This is how it is going to be until quantum computing is a thing.

That just sounds like an excuse to me and not like someone is actually trying.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the better graphics a game has the worse the game is

why you booin me im right

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Communist Toast posted:

Everything looks very nice?? We're getting to a point where real time rendering is getting closer to indistinguishable from prerendered.

In another generation or two we'll start seeing the advancements moving away from the visual stuff and start moving towards the replication of accurate physical stuff, as well as other advanced stuff beyond just more polygons and lighting effects.

We'll start seeing materials being simulated as well. So when you breach a door in Caw uh Doody the door will break apart realistically with the wood fracturing differently each time. Bullets and grenades will rip apart couches and desks, stealing a bulldozer will let you tear up chunks of road and stuff.

With AI and cloud servers, you could have an entire city made up of fully enterable and interactable buildings, generated Dwarf-Fortress style.

Vince MechMahon posted:

ok u didnt hear this from me, but in 2 more generations we're losin' this bullshit silicon crap in the dust and the next xbox is gonna be made of brains from cute little dogs and when you call its name it gets really excited but then remembers its trapped in a hellish existence of playing call of duty all day listening to 13 year olds talk about loving each others moms and stuff, its really sad when you think about it but god drat is it slick

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 9, 2020

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

imo they should just stop trying to make new games since they already made the one with the best possible graphics and sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

That just sounds like an excuse to me and not like someone is actually trying.

Graphics aren't just, "big machine BIG GRAPHICS", teams of artists work relentlessly on development. Higher fidelity stuff takes longer to make. At a certain point the limitation isn't the machine, it's the budget.

The triple A poo poo on the new consoles looks great though so I think you might just be an idiot. By what standard does the new demon's souls remaster look like crap lmfao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Good Sphere posted:

But my 14" CRT has always made graphics look most realistic since 1986!

I got a 32” 720p LCD in the garage that you can have. Gonna make you :tviv:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Graphics are a business of diminishing returns, OP

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

https://youtu.be/ZcaEdnFLb1U

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The new consoles are just lovely brand locked PCs, who gives a gently caress
They're porting almost everything now

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Its pretty cool when you can get like 100s of zombies or w/e on screen though, that's cool.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I wish I could buy a 3080 that hasn't gone to a scalper.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Next leap in graphics will be with VR and that'll only happen when they aren't expensive as hell and awkward to wear for long periods of time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I mean it's nice when a game has good graphics but tbh I most of the games that I really enjoy these days are either just average in the graphics department or straight up ugly.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i wasted 30 minutes of my life learning how konami hosed up their speech samples on old NES games and now you can too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnz6dEWwIw

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was thinking about getting a ps5 on release, but those launch titles, woof.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

had the best soundtrack to any game ever made

This guy voted for Reagan or is a foetus in gaming form.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

buying a console the first year it launches is so stupid. stupid stupid stupid

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's weird that they aren't launching the next gen cyberpunk until next year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

r u ready to WALK posted:

i wasted 30 minutes of my life learning how konami hosed up their speech samples on old NES games and now you can too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnz6dEWwIw

That guy sounds like a text to speech program

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the main point of getting a ps5 is to play your exclusive ps4 game backlog without going deaf from fan noise
it seems like a bunch of the old games run way better too

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm waiting to see what happens with crossplay. There are now multiple high profile titles with full crossplay between both consoles and PC. I've always had at least one current generation console since I was a kid, but if full platform crossplay becomes a widespread thing I might finally dump consoles and just be PC only.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Communist Toast posted:

Graphics aren't just, "big machine BIG GRAPHICS", teams of artists work relentlessly on development. Higher fidelity stuff takes longer to make. At a certain point the limitation isn't the machine, it's the budget.

The triple A poo poo on the new consoles looks great though so I think you might just be an idiot. By what standard does the new demon's souls remaster look like crap lmfao

Uhh well then why don't they just make an AI that can be a better, more productive artist than actual people? There's a ton of tech out there that does this, including the one that converts a MS-Paint like drawing into a realistic looking photo.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

Uhh well then why don't they just make an AI that can be a better, more productive artist than actual people? There's a ton of tech out there that does this, including the one that converts a MS-Paint like drawing into a realistic looking photo.

They tried that, the AI just kept kept remaking increasingly detailed versions of superman 64. The tech just isn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The PS5 is the first console I haven't really felt excited about. I chalk it up to the launch games being generic and the fact that I have so many games in my PS4 backlog. I know I can play them on the PS5 with upgrade performance but I don't want to spend $500 or whatever it is to play my PS4 games and wait for a good PS5 game to come out.