Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Thinking about making a big rear end pot of chili for dinner tonight (and tomorrow and the next day) :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Cool, now we're a reddit repost site just like Facebook

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

pnumoman posted:

Cool, now we're a reddit repost site just like Facebook

wow, and the comments are just as good

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
nuts to that image, but i did make chili last night. instant pot, i use this recipe: https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-vegetarian-lentil-chili/. i use dry beans so just increase the water by 3.5 cups, cook 10 minutes and slow release. sautee the onions and garlic first as well as any meat if you want. tossed a few habaneros in there as well. really good

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
To hell with you're ironic posting of garbage chili! Post good chili!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i'm a fan of this kenji pressure cooker recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/01/pressure-cooker-ground-beef-and-bean-chili.html

but honestly I'm just going to throw a bunch of poo poo in a pot and season to taste as normal

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Why would you put canned green beans in chili?? I can't imagine they add anything worthwhile

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Green beans and corn are weird chili ingredients. So is all the sugar and flour. And there's not even any chilies in that chili.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Lol he throws out the McCormic mix and then buys all the McCormick spices and essentially makes the exact same poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My god, just post a recipe. It's not funnier to have an angry comic man drawn over the recipe.

Let's talk about chili.

My work had an annual chili cooking contest. I somehow won the "non-standard" chili award by making standard chili, but using bison meat and adding chunks of mango. I don't get it.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

This was posted in Goons With Spoons about 10 years ago and its still my favourite chili recipe

theysayheygreg posted:

I don't know if this particular recipe was posted in the last thread, but it's something I've been making for quite some time and I absolutely love it. I got it from a poster by the name of Slake over at Elitist Jerks. It's a 3-meat texas-style chili, super hearty and delicious. I make a big pot probably once a month during the winter for warmth and sustenance. (terrible phone photo warning:)

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
  • 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can Coca-Cola
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
  • 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Some notes:
  1. You can tailor the meat to your budget. I always get nice sirloins cut up at my butcher, but any old stew meat will work (round, etc). I prefer spicy pork chorizo (again, my butcher makes it) because the chicken stuff doesn't taste right to me. I often substitute ground buffalo for ground beef if I can find it.
  2. You can tailor the recipe to your :effort: level. You can make your own chili powder for instance. Or make your own beef stock.
  3. The Coca Cola is there for sugar and a bit of acidity, but I often omit it and just use a whole beer. I usually make it with a brown ale, something Newcastle-y. Up to your tastes. I wouldn't use a stout personally, but a porter might be interesting.
  4. This is a very mild recipe. I usually use 2 habaneros (seeded, diced) and 3-4 jalapenos (sliced). I like my chili hot.
  5. I usually add 2 cans of red beans loosely drained. Begin beans/no beans debate :supaburn:

Directions:
  • Place oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Brown the sirloin in
    batches. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
  • Add ground beef, chorizo and onions to the pot and brown. Make sure to break up the meat.

• Return sirloin to the pot and stir in remaining ingredients, except for garnishes.

• Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 3-5 hours (longer is better). Stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes.

• Before serving, discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves (and habanero if you didn't dice them, don't want someone biting into that!). Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.

I don't have a finished picture, but I'll try and remember to grab some the next time I make a batch. It does reduce and thicken up quite a bit, and to be honest, I think it's best the next day after it's been in the fridge. This is enough to feed a single dude like myself for like a week straight.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
chili recipes always have nowhere near enough cumin for me, I think I end up adding at least a tablespoon extra whenever I cook it. it's like the signature chili flavor !!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mlnhd posted:

Green beans and corn are weird chili ingredients. So is all the sugar and flour. And there's not even any chilies in that chili.

corn is what the people who invented chili would have put in their chili

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TheAardvark posted:

chili recipes always have nowhere near enough cumin for me, I think I end up adding at least a tablespoon extra whenever I cook it. it's like the signature chili flavor !!

Yeah, and it's weird, because that and the tomatoes are the part that makes it taste like chili.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Imo, and ofc this is just imo, but I think chili is the signature flavour of chili

Ymmv hth

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Klyith posted:

corn is what the people who invented chili would have put in their chili

ok so what people put the green beans in

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A friend of mine made the chili in the OP. It was fine. Not good, just fine. Could have really used some french onion mix.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Imo, and ofc this is just imo, but I think chili is the signature flavour of chili

Ymmv hth

there's a wide range of flavors of chili if you aren't just using generic Chili Powder. cumin always tastes like cumin, and is the link between all chilis. i hope this helps u.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Ymmv hth

It's not though. That's like thinking pumpkin is the signature flavor of pumpkin spice.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TheAardvark posted:

there's a wide range of flavors of chili if you aren't just using generic Chili Powder. cumin always tastes like cumin, and is the link between all chilis. i hope this helps u.

yeah when i'm making chili i always make sure to dump a big load of cum in

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ikanreed posted:

It's not though. That's like thinking pumpkin is the signature flavor of pumpkin spice.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

ikanreed posted:

What!? Chili should absolutely be chili flavor dominant.

A pox on this troll thread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I made this chili last week, it was pretty good, the corn worked out somehow. I didn't use jalapeno powder, and I put in some concentrated tomato paste and a can of Ro-Tel Chilies & Tomatoes. I also used sweet Italian sausage, and it was tasty. gently caress yeah.

Tall Corn Pork Chili
From Chili Nation by: Jane and Michael Stern

1/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove minced garlic
2 T corn oil
2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tsp salt (I used chicken bouillon, which already has salt in it.)
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 T sugar
4 T chili powder
1/2 T green jalapeno powder
one 14-ounce can chicken broth
one 15-ounce can tomato sauce
one 4 1/2 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
1 T masa harina dissolved in 1/4 cup water.

In a Dutch oven, cook the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the pork. Cook until browned; then remove the pot from the heat. Add the salt, celery salt, oregano, sugar, chili powder, and jalapeno powder; stir well. Add the broth, 1 1/2 cups water, tomato sauce, and chilies. Return to the heat, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a slow simmering boil. Cook, partially covered, for 1 hour. Add the corn and cook 15 more minutes. Add the masa harina mixture, cook 5 minutes more.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm here to declare allegiance to :thembeans:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheAardvark posted:

ok so what people put the green beans in

I dunno, people who like green beans? there's a georgian / caucasian thing with ground lamb or beef, green beans, tomato, and plenty of cumin that you might like since you're a fan of cumin. Kinda chili-adjacent.

But mostly I like to draw attention to the corn thing because when people start making pronouncements about what can and can't go in chili, it is an actual example of culinary cultural appropriation. Mostly I think cultural appropriation is garbage when it comes to food, since people have been sharing cuisines and ingredients for all time. For chili it really fits. A bunch of texans made a chili, based on mestizo and native american food that had been around long long before they showed up. And then they / their cultural descendants try to erase anything else from being called 'chili'. That's some genuine-rear end cultural appropriation, taking something and saying "this isn't yours, it's ours and only ours".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Am I considered a bad or uncultured person if I like Wendy's chili?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
The “all American” chili recipe from America’s Test Kitchen is a solid recipe.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Surely they used masa or some ancient maize. Not canned Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jose Oquendo posted:

Am I considered a bad or uncultured person if I like Wendy's chili?

not at all imo.

though i can't eat it without getting sick now (i used it to mix with shrooms too many times)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Even tho you think that chilis aren't the flavour of chili (lol???!), I still get a hearty laugh out of that terrible comic, so thanks op

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

cinnamon rolls

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Of all the many things wrong with that old recipe, one of the worst is that they use two pans. You make chili in one goddamn pan and layer those flavors. The people who invented chili would have had one pan.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
If you put beans in your chili you are a loving waste of human life you garbage piece of poo poo.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I put beans in my chili and I couldn’t give a gently caress

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
You not giving a gently caress is obvious.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife grew up dunking soft pretzels in chili and I gotta say, it's pretty good.

I'll probably make some chili this weekend, thanks to this thread (but not that image).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mlnhd posted:

Surely they used masa or some ancient maize. Not canned Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn

This is why I use chopped baby corns in mine

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
baby corn loving pwns :thunk: maybe time to try it in some chili :thunk:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bone_Enterprise posted:

If you put beans in your chili you are a loving waste of human life you garbage piece of poo poo.

Look at this worthless poo poo.

Great. You made 'Manwich'. Congrats you tiresome JERK BAG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

baby corn loving pwns :thunk: maybe time to try it in some chili :thunk:

Don't do this actually I was just joshin'. Tugging your chain, as it were!

I think I'm gonna make that kenji pressure cooker chili, that looks pretty solid and I don't really mess with my onepot whatever dealie enough. Probably modify it a little as some of it looks a bit...generic, but overall you can't really miss with kenji stuff.