Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Big Beef City posted:

I did a search for British Chili and got this:

Ya'll can get right hosed.

Lol, this is the exact chili my mother used to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

every year a chili thread is made and every year it’s full of awful chili

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Gas station staple Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the ideal beer to use in your chili, and also to drink with your chili.

drat I want chili now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Gas station staple Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the ideal beer to use in your chili, and also to drink with your chili.

drat I want chili now.

I don't know. I don't drink any more, but I've tried IPAs, ales, and lagers in chili. I think that chili benefits from a slightly sweet lager like Linenkugel, but that's just me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i enjoy chili with an almost concerning amount of toppings

more toppings that actual chili

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Chinatown posted:

i enjoy chili with an almost concerning amount of toppings

more toppings that actual chili

Only topping I need is Fritos.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you can't stand beans in your chili your bloodline is weak and deserves to be forgotten by history.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
dark chocolate, extra beans, corn, no meat. one entire can of those goya peppers in the ranchero sauce. shredded cheese straight from the bag to my mouth. bithc i SWIM in this poo poo.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Peppers in ranchero sauce. do you mean chipotle in adobo sauce perhaps by chance :thunk:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh for certain. the chili peppers in baja blastems.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i would be interested in your process here. i tried to get into TVP since i thought it would be nice to have a shelf-stable ground beef substitute, but i tried making chili with it twice and it was just awful both times. tasted unpleasant and the texture was like soggy grated cardboard. think i even used that same brand but i assume i hosed up hydrating it somehow

Please forgive me bug, it's been a long time since I pulled this off.

Here's what you're trying to do if you're successful.

You reconstitute the TVP in a mix of the Guinness and Veg broth (more than 2:1) at ratio under what it calls for, for less time than it calls for. You want it to be still granular and weird, like it is.
When you saute your onions and peppers (and they should be HOT peppers) for the chili leave the fonde on the dutch oven you're making the chili in.

Remove the peppers, splash in something acidic or alcoholic, about a shot's worth.
About a tablespoon of tomato paste, too.
Slap your onions in there and reduce.
Drop your cans of beans in there.
And then re-add your TVP that's all prepped up and fired to go. Add spices and peppers as needed. She'll break the shields, Captain.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

Here's what you're trying to do if you're successful.

You reconstitute the TVP in a mix of the Guinness and Veg broth (more than 2:1) at ratio under what it calls for, for less time than it calls for. You want it to be still granular and weird, like it is.
When you saute your onions and peppers (and they should be HOT peppers) for the chili leave the fonde on the dutch oven you're making the chili in.

Remove the peppers, splash in something acidic or alcoholic, about a shot's worth.
About a tablespoon of tomato paste, too.
Slap your onions in there and reduce.
Drop your cans of beans in there.
And then re-add your TVP that's all prepped up and fired to go. Add spices and peppers as needed. She'll break the shields, Captain.

don't forget the most important step: bring your manly concoction to a boil

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
yo dont use canned beans the government puts chemicals in them that make you grow man boobs.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Also what is a god tier white chicken chili recipe?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pookum posted:

Happens that I have one right here.

It's 'TIXE' printed on a recipe card with a loving boot stamp printed on it.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Big Beef City posted:

Happens that I have one right here.

It's 'TIXE' printed on a recipe card with a loving boot stamp printed on it.

you wanna fight boi. chicken chili is chili it is NOT A STEW

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've never made white chili before but I've used chicken thighs instead of beef stuff in regular chili, it's fine.

my girlfriend doesnt eat beef but she also doesn't eat beans anymore so gently caress it this winter I am making big pot chili for ME

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
for every bean your girlfriend doesnt eat ill eat three

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't know. I don't drink any more, but I've tried IPAs, ales, and lagers in chili. I think that chili benefits from a slightly sweet lager like Linenkugel, but that's just me.

Hell, in a pinch I’ll throw a Budweiser in there.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I make this chili. Except i substitute cumin for the curry powder, add a couple jalapenos for spice, use red and black beans instead of just red, and I don't serve it with monterey jack cheese.

Actually, now that I see all those substitutions typed out, it has become clear to me that I don't really make that chili at all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pookum posted:

No but I've got this:

Chipotle-Lime Pork Chili

2-3 lbs pork boneless country ribs, seasoned & rested
1/2 lb pinto beans, soaked and lightly pre-cooked
3 yellow onions, diced
2 med green peppers, chopped
1/2 head garlic
1/2 can chipotle in adobo
1 sm can tomato paste
1 can diced tomato
1 can pigeon peas
1-2 limes, zested
chili powder, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, thyme, onion powder

A: saute ~2/3rds of the onion & g peppers with oil in a big pot, followed by the chipotle & tomato paste
B: sear pork in large skillet
when part A starts to caramelize, add diced tomato, beans, and lime zest. bring to simmer.
when part B is done, deglaze pan to the big pot, chop pork and add to pot
simmer until pork is fully cooked through and beans are tender
add pigeon peas
take remainder of onion & g pepper, quick fry in skillet then add to pot
juice limes into pot, turn off heat

serve with fresh chopped cilantro

It might work with chicken but I dunno.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Big Beef City posted:

tyvm for the response BBC, going to give TVP another shot this weekend

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Big Beef City posted:

That's good for chili dogs.

Chili Dogs!

So what parts of the country do people eat chili dogs a lot? I grew up in Los Angeles and chili dogs and chili burgers are really common, there's a chain called Tommy's and there's Pinks and lots of different places. I moved several places up north and was surprised to find they don't seem to really have chili dogs or chili burgers/chili fries too many places.

I thought it was more of a nationwide thing but apparently not... do they have chili dogs and chili burgs where you're from? What places have it? They have chili dogs at A&W/KFC restaurants but they're not that good.

This is a chili sauce that has meat and no beans, and really not much but meat and sauce and spices. I make it myself and I pretty much do a roux-based sauce, put a shitload of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and some ground beef in.

The wikipedia for chili burger seems to indicate that it's kind of an LA thing, but I'm not totally convinced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_burger

the chili dog wiki also lists some different regional variations.

A Tommy's chili dog looking a lot more neat than they really do when you get them.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 12, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Bone_Enterprise posted:

If you put beans in your chili you are a loving waste of human life you garbage piece of poo poo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mmm meat slurry, definitely don't add extra fiber and texture

DrBrezo
May 13, 2009

It's the only agreement that can marry the holy trinity of chili ingredients - Artichioke, Beans & Corn. Belissimo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

If a topping’s your goal
No beans in that bowl
If your chili’s the meal
Put beans in, for real

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

adding beer to chili is trash it doesn't add anything to it. it's something white trash boomer dads started doing in the 90s

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
You should buy better beer.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hell Yeah posted:

adding beer to chili is trash it doesn't add anything to it. it's something white trash boomer dads started doing in the 90s

Hell No!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

fishing with the fam posted:

You should buy better beer.

yes what i would like in my ground beef chili is for it to taste more bitter and have hop flavor lol.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The beer isn't for flavour, its to bless the food

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Hell Yeah posted:

yes what i would like in my ground beef chili is for it to taste more bitter and have hop flavor lol.

If you just dump it in a crock pot yeah that’s what happens.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I heard if you dunk your balls in the chili you can taste the chili through your balls.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

cooking isn't magic, if you add something bitter and hoppy to your chili, it makes it taste bitter and hoppy, which is not what anyone wants in chili. it's something that seems cool so people just do it without thinking. just drink the beer you fucken morons lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally no flavor changes via the application of heat and time.

Got it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I dry hop my chili

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just put fresh hops INTO the chili and stare at it confusedly.

Also artichoke hearts.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I replaced every drop of liquid in my chili recipe with natty ice. Let's see how this comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Find your local Hispanic market and find the dried peppers. Locally (PGH) they’re cheap as poo poo and last forever in the pantry. Only takes a few minutes in a coffee grinder and it’s better than any premade spice mix imo. That all goes for most spices if you can find the right ethnic market.

I’ll put hominy, chickpeas, and portabellas in chili too sometimes because I’m a heathen but also I had vegan roommates a few times and that poo poo works.