Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I knew you'd have made a vendee globe thread zwabu. Despite not sailing myself i absolutely love it. Always awesome to see competitors abandoning their race to help each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Amazing rescue in those conditions.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobeENG/status/1334045623255961600?s=20

Charlie Dalin remains well out in front but there's a big pack of boats behind. Interesting looking at his route, he almost touched the ice exclusion zone and then tacked much farther north than anyone else.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22IDI1ntXhk

This channel has some good analysis of IMOCA boats including a really good video on why Alex Thompson's boat might have failed. Really recommend viewing all 3.

Simon Sebastien's damage seems worse, he's having to heel the boat over to prevent water ingress and apparently is about to enter a storm system

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's a shame sailing is not more popular because it's a really good warning about pollution. There should be no way these boats have a chance of hitting anything but Britain's last hope has hit something too

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobeENG/status/1334252769226739714?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Charlie Dalin's lead over LinkedOut has reduced a ton, he's now just in front of the pack of chasers. Going to make for a good race

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Absolutely incredible le cam is still in touch with the leaders after taking part in the rescue.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

race at the front continues to get tighter, it's now down to 60 nautical miles! Going to be a huge battle for the win.

L'Occitane continues it's amazing charge through the field, definitively the fastest boat at the moment. What's interesting is it's very different to many of the others in design. While most of the top boats have wave piercing bows this one is designed to go over waves and avoid the deceleration's of all that water on the boat each time it hits a wave. Charal is also charging at the back, such a shame 3 of the top boats have had issues or we might have had an even tighter race at the from but that's the vendee

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobeENG/status/1338591396345896961?s=19

Huge drama! Race leader has hit something and one of his foils is damaged, hugely disappointing for Charlie. Boris Hermann has also had to make repairs to his mainsail.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's admirable he's trying to continue but no autopilot on top of multiple other system failures has surely got to mean he retires. That's going to be so dangerous when he's at his most exhausted later on.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It is so unbelievably close! Is sea explorer technically in the lead given it was part of the rescue effort earlier in the race?

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Wow, 4 boats within 12 hours of each other after sailing round the God drat world.