Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’m a year behind on Doctor Who and still catching up.

The loving Kerblam episode where Amazon is the hero has just about ruined it for me. What kind of bootlicking corporate apologist bullshit is this? The Doctor doesn’t get excited about getting Amazon packages. The Doctor traps Jeff Bezos inside a bowl of alphabet soup where all the letters spell out “help me” because the Doctor always sticks it to the man.

A woman Doctor should be fighting the power even harder and freaking out the normies but instead she’s having touchy-feely adventures where she DOESN’T feed Donald Trump to a giant spider.

I am very upset by this development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Applewhite posted:

I’m a year behind on Doctor Who and still catching up.

The loving Kerblam episode where Amazon is the hero has just about ruined it for me. What kind of bootlicking corporate apologist bullshit is this? The Doctor doesn’t get excited about getting Amazon packages. The Doctor traps Jeff Bezos inside a bowl of alphabet soup where all the letters spell out “help me” because the Doctor always sticks it to the man.

A woman Doctor should be fighting the power even harder and freaking out the normies but instead she’s having touchy-feely adventures where she DOESN’T feed Donald Trump to a giant spider.

I am very upset by this development.

the latist i have seen is the matt smith doctor and eventually i kind of burned out of it after high school in general. the old episodes from the 60s and such seem more fun than weird up its own rear end writting and dumb cgi bullshit. id say id prefer star trek but i havent seen enough of that either outside a bunch of TOS/TNG.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Modern Doctor Who is good actors being hobbled by bad scripts. You get some great moments and occasionally a good episode.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

13th Doctor would be a good name for a band.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I will admit that the angel statues were genuinely creepy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it possible to succinctly explain what Doctor Who is "about" to someone who has never watched any of it?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SubnormalityStairs posted:

I will admit that the angel statues were genuinely creepy

They were probably introduced longer ago than the gap between the new Dr Who series and the end of the old series.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Is it possible to succinctly explain what Doctor Who is "about" to someone who has never watched any of it?

Magic School Bus for adults but with a telephone box instead of a bus.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This show might be watchable if any of the actors were understandable. Such a shame. Kind of like some of the set and costume design but it's like, how did not a single person there say anything about the fact that nobody can understand these people?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
We were huge fans, and we like Jodi as the Doctor, but the stories are so bad now they're just unwatchable.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

The Doctor is a guy with a machine that can travel anywhere in space or time. Everywhere he goes, he ends up righting a wrong. Usually to do with a space monster.

The low-budget nature of the monsters is a feature, not a bug, and is likely responsible for the series' enduring charm.

There's volumes and volumes of lore, but none of it is important since every single episode seems to make a point of breaking the rules or continuity set in previous episodes.

Like James Bond, the part of the titular doctor (who's only on-screen name is "the Doctor") is played by different actors as the series progresses. Unlike James bond, the change in the Doctor's appearance is diagetic. The fandom identifies the doctors by the number order in which they appear. We're currently on the 13th doctor, the first woman to fill the role.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

We were huge fans, and we like Jodi as the Doctor, but the stories are so bad now they're just unwatchable.

Yeah the actress is fine but the writing is dogshit.

Say what you will about Moffat, his episodes might have been mostly nonsense, but almost all of them somehow came together in the end, like the David S. Pumpkins SNL sketch.

You spend the whole episode wondering where they're going with this and then somehow, like magic, it all clicks and you forgive all the zany crap that came before.

But not these episodes. These are just bland garbage.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"Demons of the Punjab" was the only "good" episode I've seen so far and I think it might have done better to not have space creatures in it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Say what you will about Moffat, his episodes might have been mostly nonsense, but almost all of them somehow came together in the end, like the David S. Pumpkins SNL sketch.

You spend the whole episode wondering where they're going with this and then somehow, like magic, it all clicks and you forgive all the zany crap that came before.

But not these episodes. These are just bland garbage.

And I seem to recall everyone saw it coming, too. Didn't this current showrunner make some of the least liked episodes, before? It irritates me when they blame the new woman Doctor. So not her fault, she's great.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My friends introduced me to the show by jumping on board with the current doctor...... the one with the evil towels was pretty rough.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Sounds like the first female Doctor is shaping up like the first female Star Trek captain...

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gbs hates women

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Doctor Who’s a lady now?!

At long last I can fulfill my dream of cranking my hog to The Doctor. :jackbud:

Neither Romona nor Romona II count.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

And I seem to recall everyone saw it coming, too. Didn't this current showrunner make some of the least liked episodes, before? It irritates me when they blame the new woman Doctor. So not her fault, she's great.

Chomp8645 posted:

Sounds like the first female Doctor is shaping up like the first female Star Trek captain...

Yeah this is definitely some glass cliff poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I knew about Dr. Who abstractly for a long time and never saw or read anything about it.

For whatever reason, for no real explanation, I fell directly into watching all of David Tennant's 10'th Doctor series and there can't be another Doctor for me and totally understand why fans get upset by this, by I haven't even bothered checking the show out since he left. I'm a terrible person.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Robo Reagan posted:

gbs hates women

Not sure if you can tell, but in both cases we're saying the problem was neither the actress nor the concept of the character being female. It's the writing. And it's really unfortunate when the writing for the first female X happens to suck.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I stopped watching but I think it's because of Chibnall, not Whittaker or the Doctor.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I just watched the David tennant and Matt smith seasons. The episode with the moon guys who make you forget about them any time you look away was cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

I knew about Dr. Who abstractly for a long time and never saw or read anything about it.

For whatever reason, for no real explanation, I fell directly into watching all of David Tennant's 10'th Doctor series and there can't be another Doctor for me and totally understand why fans get upset by this, by I haven't even bothered checking the show out since he left. I'm a terrible person.

Totally get this. I didn't care for Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi when they first started. I actually like Jodie Whittaker more than I liked Peter Capaldi at first.

But the episode where she goes to work in an Amazon warehouse and all the workers are happy and it turns out the anti-Amazon activist was the bad guy left a REAL sour taste in my mouth.

I guess I should have specified when I say "I'm not warming to the 13th Doctor" I refer to the generation as a whole, and not the character specifically.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The more I think about the Amazon episode the madder I get.

How is this allowed? Who okayed this?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Nobody looked at the script and said "actually the Doctor fights the establishment and Amazon could only ever be a bad guy. This needs a rewrite."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
doctor who is basically action adventure mr. rogers and if you like it your father neglected you

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Poo

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
A precocious Bichon Frise in a bowtie that I call Dogtor Who.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

doctor who is basically action adventure mr. rogers and if you like it your father neglected you

I guess that must mean I'm talking to his biggest fan :smug:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i liked the energy tennant brought to the role but wasn't impressed by any of the followups. haven't seen the lady doctor episodes either. i love the old poo poo because i'm a sucker for bad old sci fi in general. blakes 7 is the best star trek.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I don't like how this year the Tardis was changed into a refrigerator full of yogurt

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

and how they swapped out the sonic screwdriver for a panasonic self-screwdriver

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Doctor Dogballs posted:

and how they swapped out the sonic screwdriver for a panasonic self-screwdriver

The next Dr Who is gonna be that Scandinavian guy with a bowl cut reviewing his VCR collection over a green screen

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/341236353926852608?lang=en

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

White Man's Burden: the Series

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are they a proctologist?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The leather jacket guy was ok everything else is pretty much trash

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I mostly stopped watching when Amy Pond died and they brought on some hella boring girl that then stuck around for like 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Applewhite posted:

But the episode where she goes to work in an Amazon warehouse and all the workers are happy and it turns out the anti-Amazon activist was the bad guy left a REAL sour taste in my mouth.

lol jesus christ for real?

what's next, the Doctor lands in 1984 UK and helps solve the crisis of people not having enough coal to heat their houses in the winter by putting down the nasty coal miners? then she has a glowing heart-to-heart with Maggie where they talk about how women in positions of authority are never given the same respect as men? that would be super woke!